PDA

View Full Version : quick question (SMT)

redneckprincess
October 23rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
do you shampoo your hair before and/or after a SMT treatment?

Thanks In Advance ☺

ETA: also does any honey work?

Lemur_Catta
October 23rd, 2009, 06:41 AM
I have read that you are supposed to shampoo, apply the SMT on wet hair and rinse after an hour. I think this is valid if you use only the original recipe though, because if you add oils to the mix, you will have to shampoo them out.

I have always be afraid to put honey in my hair and not shampoo after, so I have always washed my hair with very diluted shampoo after the SMT (and conditioned again after, with a light conditioner, just to detangle)

redneckprincess
October 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
I have read that you are supposed to shampoo, apply the SMT on wet hair and rinse after an hour. I think this is valid if you use only the original recipe though, because if you add oils to the mix, you will have to shampoo them out.

I have always be afraid to put honey in my hair and not shampoo after, so I have always washed my hair with very diluted shampoo after the SMT (and conditioned again after, with a light conditioner, just to detangle)

me too but im afraid that will remove all the moisture...

juliaxena
October 23rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
I don't think you are supposed to wash it out. But when i did it, I had to...I put honey in a pot and on he stove, because I don't have a microvave. Apparantly the honey got too "caramely" this way-my hair was a sticky mess. So I shampooed like mad and I still don't know how to do a proper SMT

redneckprincess
October 23rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
why heat the honey?

I appricate the swift answers already thanks

Carolyn
October 23rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
The honey shouldn't make your hair all sticky. I had the same fears when I first started doing SMT's. The honey is all mixed in with the other ingredients. It's not like you are putting straight honey on your hair. It will be fine. Trust in those who have gone before you :D

You can shampoo first and that's just fine if you want to. Somewhere along the line, I started doing SMT's as CO washes and it worked beautifully for me. I just slap the SMT mix on dry hair and proceed as if it was a CO with my good old WR condish. It even gets out my very heavy oilings.

I've used several kinds of honey and all have worked the same. Most of the time I have Sue Bee Honey since it's made right here in Siouxland.

redneckprincess
October 23rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
The honey shouldn't make your hair all sticky. I had the same fears when I first started doing SMT's. The honey is all mixed in with the other ingredients. It's not like you are putting straight honey on your hair. It will be fine. Trust in those who have gone before you :D

You can shampoo first and that's just fine if you want to. Somewhere along the line, I started doing SMT's as CO washes and it worked beautifully for me. I just slap the SMT mix on dry hair and proceed as if it was a CO with my good old WR condish. It even gets out my very heavy oilings.

I've used several kinds of honey and all have worked the same. Most of the time I have Sue Bee Honey since it's made right here in Siouxland.

what is co and wr?

juliaxena
October 23rd, 2009, 07:17 AM
why heat the honey?

Because it contains peroxide and can lighten your hair. I don't want to put my hair through that.

redneckprincess
October 23rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Because it contains peroxide and can lighten your hair. I don't want to put my hair through that.
is that the only resion?

is that bad for hair like color with peroxide...but you eat honey and its good for you :confused:

smells good though...

juliaxena
October 23rd, 2009, 07:37 AM
I don't think it's very bad for hair but I dye it as it is so I don't want extra lightening. I don't think it would damage healthy hair but since I dye mine, it is not completely healthy by default.

marikamt
October 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
I put my SMT on dry hair, I do add 2 tbl coconut oil to it too... I get mine hot (about 30-45 sec in microwave) and put it in one of those picnic ketchup bottles you get at walmart. I leave it on as long as I can stand it (sometimes 3 hrs), wrapped in saran wrap/ shower cap and something around my neck to catch drips..... I do shampoo afterwards ('poo bar). I love the results I get.

florenonite
October 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
what is co and wr?

CO is "conditioner-only" wash, WR I believe is "White Rain", a popular light, 'cone-free conditioner.

is that the only resion?

is that bad for hair like color with peroxide...but you eat honey and its good for you :confused:

smells good though...

It's not bad for your hair's health, it's just bad if you don't want to lighten your hair. The honey thread in the Recipes, Henna and Herbal Haircare forum shows that people did not experience damage from the peroxide in the honey.

halo_tightens
October 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
And there's no need to worry so much about the honey making your hair sticky. :)

I've applied straight honey to wet hair before, left it for a minute or two, and rinsed it out with plain water, with no stickiness whatsoever. As soon as it mixes with a little water (or conditioner or whatever), it seems to become slippery rather than sticky.

I do microwave it if I'm going to be leaving it on for more than a few minutes, like in an SMT-- otherwise I don't bother.

Maybe I go on a bit much about honey, lol, but it just seems to be a truly magical substance!

viking_quest
October 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
The only times I did an SMT was on washed and damp hair. I put in a lot of conditioner to make sure it wouldn't be so sticky from the honey, put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds (too long), it curdled but it still worked fine. It was very creamy and not sticky and it didn't lighten my hair or my mother's hair at all.

redneckprincess
October 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
well I did it, didnt heat the honey, but it didnt lighten my hair either,(thank goodness) maybe i didnt use that much.

im not impressed with how my hair feels now that its dry. with all the hype of LHC was giving it its no better then a straight conditioning, I still have all my frizzies,the color is still as dull as it was before no extra shine, and it dosent feel like silk like I expected it to...

I have to go update my blog...but the kids got home so I will soon

BUT I love that my hair smells like honey, so Im sure I will do it again...

Amara
October 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
I usually do a CWC after my SMTs - with a very diluted Shampoo. I can definitely tell when I've done an SMT - the CWC doesn't negate the benefits. :)

jojo
October 23rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
i always use a SMT after I have claryfied and honey is not the least bit sticky on the hair and is very good at producing nice shiny hair. You can even buy shampoos and conditioners with honey in, its the purest thing and wont hurt your hair at all.

Sissy
October 23rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
I shampoo before doing an SMT so that I am applying the SMT to clean hair.

I do not condition or shampoo after doing an SMT. I simply rinse the SMT out of my hair and it's moisturized enough as I use a decent/heavy moisturizing shampoo. I use GVP Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm. I also use FOTE Aloe Vera Gel and I always use molasses instead of honey (I do not want my hair to lighten). I sometimes add a tsp of Castor Oil as well.

redneckprincess
October 24th, 2009, 10:40 AM
well I did it, didnt heat the honey, but it didnt lighten my hair either,(thank goodness) maybe i didnt use that much.

im not impressed with how my hair feels now that its dry. with all the hype of LHC was giving it its no better then a straight conditioning, I still have all my frizzies,the color is still as dull as it was before no extra shine, and it dosent feel like silk like I expected it to...

I have to go update my blog...but the kids got home so I will soon

BUT I love that my hair smells like honey, so Im sure I will do it again...

I have updated my blog after going a whole day and sleeping and decided I did like the treatment& results...and will be giving my DD her first SMT this weekend

dragonfrog
October 24th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I do my SMT's on dry, dirty hair. Afterward, I rinse and wash with diluted shampoo. No further conditioning is necessary, and I can definitely tell my hair is happy afterwards :)

By the way, the reason I like to do my SMT's this way is because applying it on dry hair means less dripping and I can leave it on longer, and shampooing afterwards makes sure there is no conditioner left on or near my scalp. The one time I tried a SMT without washing it out afterwards, my hair needed to be washed again only 3 days later (usually I go 5-7 days between washes).

Coriander
October 24th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I did the SMT yesterday for the first time using the regular recipe plus a squirt of jojoba and rosemary oils. I left it on for about three hours. I had shampooed with a clarifying shampoo beforehand.

I don't know if it was the aloe or honey, but my hair was rather dry feeling on the last six or so inches.

Next time I may leave out the aloe to see if that was what did it.

GlassEyes
October 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Coriander, SMT works better without aloe for me--though it isn't an SMT then. xD;

ckf1963
October 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I did my first SMT last night, but I forgot to heat the mixture and I didn't add the aloe vera because I couldn't find any (I did find some today at Wal-Mart, though). So, I guess I really only did a *partial* SMT. :) In any event, I am very pleased with the results. I think the honey lightened my hair somewhat, so I'm going to try doing an all over lightening with honey and distilled water next weekend.

I do have a question, though. Can I use an ACV rise after doing the SMT? I read somewhere on LHC that the ACV rinse removes any product that may still be in your hair after shampooing and conditioning, so I'm wondering if it would negate the benefits of the SMT?

BTW, I added a little bit of EVOO to my SMT, washed my hair first and only rinsed after. My hair feels great - not greasy at all, but then my hair tends to be really, really dry.

Sissy
October 25th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I did my first SMT last night, but I forgot to heat the mixture and I didn't add the aloe vera because I couldn't find any (I did find some today at Wal-Mart, though). So, I guess I really only did a *partial* SMT. :) In any event, I am very pleased with the results. I think the honey lightened my hair somewhat, so I'm going to try doing an all over lightening with honey and distilled water next weekend.

I do have a question, though. Can I use an ACV rise after doing the SMT? I read somewhere on LHC that the ACV rinse removes any product that may still be in your hair after shampooing and conditioning, so I'm wondering if it would negate the benefits of the SMT?

BTW, I added a little bit of EVOO to my SMT, washed my hair first and only rinsed after. My hair feels great - not greasy at all, but then my hair tends to be really, really dry.

In my opinion, sure you could do an ACV rinse after an SMT. I have never felt it necessary though. I'm not sure if using the ACV would negate any of the beneficial properties of the SMT as I'm usually not one for doing too much to hair at once.

In my situation, I have recently learned that ACV should be used post molasses treatment so I'm now wondering if I should use ACV rinse post my SMT as I use molasses instead of honey in mine. I've never felt the need for ACV rinse post SMT but I guess there is something about the molasses.

In your case using honey I wouldn't think ACV rinse is necessary but probably wouldn't hurt either. Perhaps someone who does regular SMT's with honey will also respond to your question :o