PDA

View Full Version : Short hairs around my ears that won't grow long

julliams
October 23rd, 2009, 06:09 AM
I have these short hairs just above my ears on both sides that will not grow long - no matter what. The seem to have a terminal length and are curly, stickyout hairs. I always tuck them behind my ears but if they would grow they could become part of my hairstyle rather than looking like weird puffballs around my face. Actually if you click on my avatar you can kind of see what I'm talking about.

Does everyone have these or is it a curly haired thing?

hennaphile
October 23rd, 2009, 06:14 AM
I have these, in fact a good chunk of my bottom layers are like this and won't budge.

pepperminttea
October 23rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
I have these too; my mother calls them 'kiss curls'. I think of them as baby sideburns. :P I'm afraid I've no idea how to change them, since mine just don't seem to grow, either, though I'm sure they must do.

halo_tightens
October 23rd, 2009, 07:38 AM
MY DH has a lot of these little baby curls all along the back of his hairline. They're curlier than the rest of his hair, and never seem to get more than a couple of inches long. I wonder if this is the same thing you're talking about? He said his mom always called them witches' locks.

Wind Dragon
October 23rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
I'm a straight-wavy, and I get this too. Actually, I think you'll probably have that even if they don't have a short terminal length, just due to continuous new growth being more noticeable at the hairline.

I finally gave up on ever having a smooth updo for more than a minute and a half, and now keep a teeny bit of fringe and face-framing stuff cut in so it looks more deliberate. :silly:

JamieLeigh
October 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Not a curly-hair thing - I've got 'em too. And while the rest of my hair falls in S-waves, the ones around my ears are springy curlie-q's. They make for very elegant accents to my up-dos though, when occasion requires. :)

eadwine
October 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I have them as well.

I have learned to accept them and for work I put them in a click clack.

piratejenny23
October 24th, 2009, 12:13 PM
well i have those on my FOREHEAD! if i try to smooth them back, eventually they sproing out and it looks like i have little horns!

a friend of mine has this same problem and on her wedding day she couldn't get them to stay put so she freaked out and shaved her forehead!

and yes i have them by my ears too. they are girlie sideburns. sigh.

nowxisxforever
October 24th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Yep, they're pretty much sideburns. I've learned to try to keep them trimmed just below my ears so they stay in one group rather than fuzzing out worse, but it doesn't always help... for a while as a teenager I shaved them off, but that was too much upkeep for me.

Gumball
October 24th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I have loads of little short terminal hairs all around my hairline. I used to hate them, but now I just admit they're there and move on with my life. The only problem is when gusts of wind happen that make the short ones with at least 2-4 inches of length start to fly around and make me look like Einstein. Ah well. Fluffy for life!

Garnetgem
January 18th, 2016, 11:08 AM
I have these and they can be annoying but look on the bright side they are new growth and that can only be a good thing,but i do notice the more i tie my hair back the more that appear i think it can be i tie it back too tight so makes some come out then result these new little tufts grow in place just a thought...

Sarahlabyrinth
January 18th, 2016, 12:33 PM
...Aaaaand...that's life. I'm pretty sure everyone has these. I do.

Pinni
January 18th, 2016, 12:53 PM
I have these too. And now that I think they somehow feel curlier than the longer ones.When weather is humid they curl. My fine straight hair is maybe around 1a/1b/F/ii.

lapushka
January 18th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Join the wispies club, you guys! ;)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Suguru
January 19th, 2016, 01:48 AM
I have them but they are dead straight like the rest of my hair :( Much less pretty than the lovely little face-framing curls I see on curlier-haired girls! At the moment all my hair is short so they don't stand out but when I had long hair I would sometimes pin them back but usually I would just leave them out to soften the look of my updos.

Daydreamer.
January 20th, 2016, 04:05 AM
Ugh. I have these, too. Matter of fact, I was going to create a thread about this. I would really love to grow mine out....

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 12:13 PM
I think it just comes down to them having a short terminal length. Perfectly normal. Some people have them at their nape (like my sister). As Lapushka mentioned, there is a thread for us! :)

AmethystLily
January 20th, 2016, 01:48 PM
I've heard them called "baby hairs." I think everyone has those. These strands simply mark the transition zone between the thicker, longer hair of the scalp and the much finer, less visible vellus hair on the face and neck (excluding the eyebrows, eyelashes, beards, etc).