PDA

View Full Version : Is this slow growth?

mediumhair
October 22nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
I will post pics soon(once I take some new ones). My hair has grown 3 inches(bottom layer) in 1 year. And my bangs and shorter layer have grown 5 inches. Why are only my shorter hairs growing?

Quixii
October 22nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
Are you trimming your hair at all?
Does your hair have any damage, such as dye, bleach, etc.?

mediumhair
October 22nd, 2009, 10:47 PM
I have had 2 small trims about 1/4 inch. I have not dyed my hair or damaged it in any way. I blow dry maybe once a month now and wash 2x a week. My hair is less oilier now than it used to be. I noticed that my bottom layer isn't growing but my bangs and top layers only grew. This is so frustrating.

kdaniels8811
October 23rd, 2009, 03:54 AM
When my hair would not grow (the length, the bangs grew fine) it was damage and breakage. Updo's, oiling and catnip soaks helped immensely. Handling it less. How long is it? Think how old the ends are, they could be damaged still. A small trim - a quarter inch or so may help, too. Good luck! You will find tons of information here. And welcome to LHC!!

Arctic
October 23rd, 2009, 04:04 AM
I don't really believe in it myself, but there is this famous longhair myth that if one has layers/bangs, then they'll grow faster than the actual length, because hair tries to seek out balance. And to have hair in one lenght would be in balance, so hair tries to make the shorter bits to catch up with the longer.

redneckprincess
October 23rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
i suggest taking pictures...every month or so...I dont ever think my hair grows but come picture time..proves me wrong every time

jivete
October 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
i suggest taking pictures...every month or so...I dont ever think my hair grows but come picture time..proves me wrong every time

I agree with redneckprincess. Pictures every month won't tell me much at this length, but taken every few months help remind me that it is indeed growing. I'm always lamenting about how it isn't growing. In fact, I did it this morning. :rolleyes:
I have to remind myself that 1/2" is hard to see in the mid-back abyss.

However, if you've had 3" growth on the back and 5" on the front, my guess is that damage is sabotaging the growth on the back or you're trimming more than you realize.

vdhendrix
October 25th, 2009, 04:40 AM
everyone is different, but it does sound like your length is growing slower that average, but your bang are growing at average speed, so maybe your ends are just breaking off at the bottom? you could try getting a trim to get rid of any damage that way the dont keep breaking off

jojo
October 26th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Ive grown only 2" in 10 months, I dont have bangs/fringe, have no breakage, a few splits but I am a fine haired person so this is to be expected and have had about an inch if that trimmed off, but my slow growth was stress. Have you been stressed lately?

I know with me its just a dropped stitch in my growing plans as I normally get 8" a year, hair can also stall due to its genetic pattern, Ive read posts of people who have stalled for a year and then it starts again.

I personally have just been ignoring my hair and concentrating on other things, my hair is only just starting to grow, then again winter is my growth spurt period as a rule.

Try not to worry about it, just continue to look after it well and visit the site for support.

clairenewcastle
October 27th, 2009, 12:32 AM
:blossom:Everyone's hair growth pattern varies but it does seem that we all go through phases of slow progress with our hair. Don't despair if you find it hard to kick-start your hair growth in the short-term, :confused: have patience and you'll get there. :blossom:

prittykitty
October 27th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I use to notice that it seemed like the top of my hair always grew faster than the rest. This was when I was wearing a lot of layers and curled the top all the time (80's and 90's). Now I am wondering if the rest of my hair was all growing the same but since I focused on the top the most, maybe I felt it was growing too fast was because if it got too long by even a few inches it would be hard to curl. I remember I was always trimming my bangs just about every month so they wouldn't be in my eyes too much.