PDA

View Full Version : MSM Supplements for Growth

pinchbeck
October 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Is there really a miracle pill for faster hair growth? Supplements I have read about that are supposed to assist are: Biotin, MSM, Horsetail, and Silica.

Most of us are not knowledgeable about holistic and alternative approaches in self care which brings the following questions:

1)How do we know were are not doing more harm than good?
2)How do we know this isn't a marketing ploy? How do we know if we are introducing something to our bodies that is safe?
3)Doesn't body weight have something to do with how many milligrams our bodies require? For example, a supplement label will instruct to take one capsule a day (or two or three or six!).

I would love my hair to gain length in a short period of time, but I don't want to fix something if it ain't broken!

ambychelle
October 22nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
I'm no expert for sure but I think that time is the only real way to grow hair.

I do, however, take biotin (I'm trying to shed less hair though.. i wouldn't care if it never got any longer than it is now if I could just slow down this shedding *lol*) and MSM. Biotin is a water soluble vitamin which means that if I take more than my body can use, the extra comes out in urine. I believe this can make your kidneys work a little harder but I don't feel like I'm taking it in such massive doses that my kidneys will suffer. MSM is another I feel perfectly safe taking. I take mine in a pill with glucosomine for joint health. Even if I didn't take it for hair, I'd take it for my joints because my knees feel so much better now.

I think that horsetail is a form if silica. I'm sort of on the fence about this one because there's not much research on it.

You do need to be cautious using herbs interally and fat soluable vitamins such as Vit. A. but from my research, you'd have to take a LOT of vitamin A for it to become toxic and daily for many months, not just a one time big dose.

As for if they work, I think there's enough evidence to show that biotin and MSM both seem to have an overall positive effect on the health of most people. But, not all. I don't think they'll actually hurt anyone, but some of the side effects, like acne, might not be worth the advantages to some people.

Anyway, I think focusing on your overall health is probably the best magic bullet. That, and learning to accept the hair you natrually have, and not the hair that you wish you had :)

I struggle with that daily. I see photos on here of iii hair that is long and thick and shiny and I WANT that hair! But I know that no matter how well I take care of my hair, it will never look like THAT. Just like I'll never look like Jennifer Aniston.

Oh.. as for dosage, I think moderation is key. Just because 3mg of biotin seems to do good things for your hair does't mean that 12mg will be even better. :eyebrows:

Sissy
October 22nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Yes, horsetail is silica. I do not think it's worth the risks of taking it. I get a small amount of silica in my women's multi-vitamin. I also consider MSM and biotin safe to take. I feel they are helping with my hair health/growth.

chrissy-b
October 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Yes, horsetail is silica. I do not think it's worth the risks of taking it.

What are the risks of taking silica?

chrissy-b
October 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
I'm slowly introducing biotin back into my supplement routine. I tried it once before and my acne got so bad that I gave up, but I think I just didn't stick with it for long enough.

MSM gave me headaches so I stopped taking it. I haven't noticed a change with any other supplements as far as sheen, growth or health of my hair is concerned, though I do think fish oils and evening primrose help my skin immensely.

I'll let you know if the biotin does anything more than give me zits again. :smile:

Sissy
October 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
What are the risks of taking silica?

Not silica in general... but Horsetail. Here is the info I have looked up on Silica and Horsetail. Hope this helps:

SILICA/SILICON (horsetail, cucumbers, alfalfa sprouts, beets, brown rice, bell peppers, soybeans, leafy green vegetables, root vegetables, cooked dried beans and peas and whole grain breads and cereals) is required for healthy nails, skin and hair and for calcium absorption in the early stages of bone formation. Studies have shown that the amount of silicon in arteries starts to decline as atherosclerosis starts to develop. French research suggests that silicon can help to prevent osteoporosis and can be used to treat bone fractures. Aging and low estrogen levels reputedly decrease the body's ability to absorb silicon.

HORSETAIL is relatively high in selenium as well as silicon. Too much selenium may cause birth defects. Pregnant women should not use this herb. It also contains the chemical equisetine that in large amounts is a nerve poison. Children have reportedly suffered non-fatal reactions after using the hollow stem as a toy blowgun and ingesting the juices. The FDA lists horsetail as an herb of undefined safety. As with any herbal supplement, horsetail herbal supplements should only be used in amounts typically recommended for medicinal purposes and you should always consult with a health professional first, especially if you are pregnant, nursing or taking prescription medications.
* horsetail does not appear to be safe may not be safe for pregenant women and may cause delpletion of other b vitamins resulting in brain function failure, etc

Sissy
October 22nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
I'm slowly introducing biotin back into my supplement routine. I tried it once before and my acne got so bad that I gave up, but I think I just didn't stick with it for long enough.

MSM gave me headaches so I stopped taking it. I haven't noticed a change with any other supplements as far as sheen, growth or health of my hair is concerned, though I do think fish oils and evening primrose help my skin immensely.

I'll let you know if the biotin does anything more than give me zits again. :smile:

I take Fish Oils or Flaxseed and Evening Primerose Oil too. I think the combination of biotin, MSM, and oils is helpful. I get a bit of silica that comes in my women's multi-vitamin but it isn't from horsetail. The rest of my silica I get through food... cucumbers, edamame (soybeans), whole grains, etc.

Sissy
October 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
actually, if you are interested in more natural food sources for hair health here is the info I've compiled. I wonder if LHC would let me post this somewhere for reference for newbies?

Anyhow, here's the list as I've compiled so far from information I've sourced online and through books:

Foods, Vitamins, & Minerals For Hair Health & Growth

SALMON (omega-3 fatty acids, high-quality protein source also filled with vitamin B-12 & iron)

FLAXSEED (provides omega-3 fatty acids for vegetarians who cannot have salmon)
CANOLA OIL and SOY also have essential fatty acids

DARK GREEN VEGETABLES (like spinach, broccoli, Swiss chard) provide iron and calcium and are excellent sources of vitamins A and C, which your body needs to produce sebum. The oily substance, secreted by your hair follicles, is the body's natural hair conditioner.

BEANS (legumes like kidney beans and lentils) provide plentiful protein to promote hair growth, ample iron, zinc, and biotin. While rare, biotin deficiencies can result in brittle hair.
It is recommended to get three or more cups of lentils or beans each week.

NUTS selenium (mineral for scalp health found in brazil nuts)
alpha-linolenic acid (an omega-3 fatty acid that may help condition your hair found in walnuts)
zinc (as found in walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews - a zinc deficiency can lead to hair shedding)

POULTRY (chicken and turkey) provides high-quality protein for healthy hair to prevent weak, brittle hair and loss of hair color. Poultry also provides iron with a high degree of bioavailability, meaning your body can easily reap its benefits.

EGGS provide one of the best protein sources you can find. They also contain biotin and vitamin B-12, which are important beauty nutrients.

WHOLE GRAINS (including whole-wheat bread and fortified whole-grain cereals) contain zinc, iron, and B vitamins. A whole-grain snack can also be a great go-to food when your energy is zapped halfway through the afternoon, and you've still got hours to go before dinner.

OYSTERS contain zinc, a powerful antioxidant. If oysters don't make a regular appearance on your dinner plate, don't despair. In addition to getting it from whole grains and nuts, you can also get zinc from beef and lamb.

LOW-FAT DAIRY PRODUCTS (skim milk and yogurt) are great sources of calcium, an important mineral for hair growth. They also contain whey and casein, two high-quality protein sources. For some healthy hair foods "to-go," try throwing a yogurt or cottage cheese cup in your bag when you head out in the morning to snack on later in the day. You can even boost their hair benefits by stirring in a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseeds or walnuts for omega-3 fatty acids and zinc.

CARROTS are an excellent source of vitamin A, which promotes a healthy scalp along with good vision. Since a healthy scalp is essential for a shiny, well-conditioned head of hair, you'd be wise to include carrots in your diet as snacks or toppings on your salad.

SILICA/SILICON (horsetail, cucumbers, alfalfa sprouts, beets, brown rice, bell peppers, soybeans, leafy green vegetables, root vegetables, cooked dried beans and peas and whole grain breads and cereals) is required for healthy nails, skin and hair and for calcium absorption in the early stages of bone formation. Studies have shown that the amount of silicon in arteries starts to decline as atherosclerosis starts to develop. French research suggests that silicon can help to prevent osteoporosis and can be used to treat bone fractures. Aging and low estrogen levels reputedly decrease the body's ability to absorb silicon.

HORSETAIL is relatively high in selenium as well as silicon. Too much selenium may cause birth defects. Pregnant women should not use this herb. It also contains the chemical equisetine that in large amounts is a nerve poison. Children have reportedly suffered non-fatal reactions after using the hollow stem as a toy blowgun and ingesting the juices. The FDA lists horsetail as an herb of undefined safety. As with any herbal supplement, horsetail herbal supplements should only be used in amounts typically recommended for medicinal purposes and you should always consult with a health professional first, especially if you are pregnant, nursing or taking prescription medications.
* horsetail does not appear to be safe may not be safe for pregenant women and may cause delpletion of other b vitamins resulting in brain function failure, etc

GREEN TEA (no solid evidence that green tea can help) is certainly a good source of antioxidants and may have some anti-cancer properties, so it certainly would not hurt a woman to include it in her diet.

ZINC some demotolagists are cautious, advising against the use of zinc supplementation in levels any higher than what might be in a multivitamin. "It's imperative that zinc and copper remain in the proper ratio. And unless you also supplement copper you don't want to dramatically increase zinc intake," says Lessman. What's more, since both metals are pro-oxidants (meaning they contribute to unhealthy free radical formation) Lessman says supplementation in any significant amount would require careful health monitoring by a doctor. Heller adds that taking too much zinc can also cause a copper deficiency, which in turn can actually cause hair loss -- another reason she believes supplementation of these minerals is unnecessary.

IRON a lack of iron that often occurs during the reproductive years -- can lead to anemia, a reduction of red blood cells that is often an undiagnosed cause of hair loss in women.

VITAMIN B12 (found in eggs, meat, poultry) for healthy hair growth including. According to dermatologist and hair loss expert Ted Daly, MD, it's a nutrient hair just can't live without, and women can easily develop a deficiency.

BIOTIN (found in liver and egg yokes) we can get biotin from our diet but we would have to consume thousands of calories daily to get what our hair needs. That's one reason why he and so many dermatologists suggest biotin supplements. Indeed, Daly says he routinely recommends up to 3 mg of biotin daily for his hair loss patients, while Lessman developed a healthy hair, skin, and nails product containing 2 mg of biotin per daily dosage, which he believes is the minimum for healthy hair. The recommended daily intake (RDI) of biotin is a scant 300 mcg -- and even the healthiest diets usually contain no more than 30 to 50 mcg.

MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) is a substance vital to the life of hair and skin. The same way that biotin is a component of the manufacturing process of hair, the sulphur found in MSM can be intrinsic to the structural development of hair -- particularly because it is so well-absorbed," says Lessman. He recommends 700 mg of MSM daily.

Evening Primrose Oil & Flaxseed Oil
Both of these are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for strong, healthy hair. Evening primrose oil contains a special fat called gamma-linolenic acid( GLA) which the body converts to hormonelike compounds called prostaglandins. The GLA in evening primrose oil is directly converted to anti-inflammatory prostaglandins which are effective against eczema and skin allergies. Taking evening primrose oil (1000mg 3 times a day) will prevent hair loss that is caused by excess flaking and shedding of skin on the scalp.

EVENING PRIMROSE OIL: As a nutritional supplement, the maximum label-recommended daily dose of evening primrose oil is approximately 4 g, containing 300 to 360 mg GLA. There is little concern about the safety of evening primrose oil as a dietary supplement in the recommended dosage range.

When it comes to foods for healthy hair and beauty, variety is the best way to go. An overall balanced diet of lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fatty fish like salmon and low-fat dairy will help keep hair healthy.

chrissy-b
October 22nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Thank you so much for that info Sissy! I have never heard (or read) that before about horsetail.

Bellona
October 22nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
I take Biotin and MSM, and I find that they give me some extra growth. I take "breaks" from taking them, and that's usually when my growth slows a back to its normal rate. It's not a miracle. I've only noticed .20-.5"/month increase, but that can definitely add up after a few months. I also have changed my diet to include more of the foods listed by Sissy! I think they are safe -- both have other benefits besides hair growth. When I get my hair out of its awkward stage I will probably lower the dose or maybe stop taking them, because supplements are a bit scary to me!

pinchbeck
October 22nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Yes, horsetail is silica. I do not think it's worth the risks of taking it. I get a small amount of silica in my women's multi-vitamin. I also consider MSM and biotin safe to take. I feel they are helping with my hair health/growth.

Wow...you provided such a thorough response and everyone loves it including me! It's hard to incorporate healthy food choices every day so I may take the minimum doses of both biotin and MSM. The MSM should help with DDD (degenerative disk disease) in my neck. Hopefully, I won't get acne from the biotin and if I do I will stop.

Vianka
October 22nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
I bought some horsetail herb tea because I heard it helped grow hair. It tastes like dirt, though. Then I did a little bit more research and decided that I'm going to ditch the horsetail herb. What I read stated that the herb can be an irritant to your intestines and hard on your kidneys. Not good. I think I'm just going to learn to be patient while growing my hair. Well, that plus a healthful diet and taking a multi-vitamin. I'm also experimenting by taking 1mg biotin each day. I just started taking the biotin last week, so I won't know if it's making a difference for another couple of months.

http://health.learninginfo.org/horsetail.htm