PDA

View Full Version : Brown sugar scrub with liquid coconut oil?

florenonite
October 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
I'm thinking of trying a brown sugar scrub because my scalp has a tendency to be itchy and flaky. However, I don't have any conditioner so I'm thinking of using coconut oil. I'm thinking of melting the coconut oil until it's not quite liquid, then adding the brown sugar and using it. However, I worry that this might be too hot and scald my scalp. My skin tends to be sensitive to hot or cold liquids (I've scalded myself before when I've forgotten to change the temperature gauge on the shower and my flatmate's had one of her hot showers), so I don't want to scald my scalp with too-hot coconut oil. However, if it's only just starting to melt, that's only about 24 degrees, which is 13.5 degrees below body temperature, so I should be fine, right? And I've applied liquid coconut oil to my skin in summer before.

Has anyone tried this before? Or does anyone think this is an incredibly stupid idea? :lol:

girloctopus
October 22nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
I think it is worth a shot! You probably don't need to heat it up too much or at all. Coconut oil starts melting once it hits my skin so it'll probably be melted sufficiently once you put it on your head. Perhaps when you mix it you could just use a warm bowl? A slightly warm bowl and the friction from mixing brown sugar with the oil should melt it sufficiently without risking scalding. :)

hmmm
October 22nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
This sounds great, I would definitely try this. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

KarenLynn
October 22nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
I've used liquid coconut oil for scalp scrubs a bunch of times when the bathroom was warm enough that it had melted in the jar. If it's solid, I tend to pick a different oil simply because it's easier than melting the coconut one. Anyway, it works just as well for a scalp scrub as conditioner, and at least I haven't had a problem washing it out again.

florenonite
October 22nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
All right, it looks like it will be ok. I think what I'll do is just zap a couple spoonfuls in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, mix in the sugar, test the temperature, and try it. I don't want to make it wholly liquid, because I don't want the sugar dissolving, though. Has anyone had a problem with that?

KarenLynn
October 22nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Hasn't been a problem for me, but then I haven't heated the oil either. Hope it works well for you!

loyaboya
October 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
All right, it looks like it will be ok. I think what I'll do is just zap a couple spoonfuls in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, mix in the sugar, test the temperature, and try it. I don't want to make it wholly liquid, because I don't want the sugar dissolving, though. Has anyone had a problem with that? 30 seconds might be a little long if you don't want it to get hot. I've melted coconut oil in the microwave on 10 seconds. I couldn't believe it happened so fast (possible that it was just barely solid, but still).

loyaboya
October 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
BTW- this sounds like a fabulous body scrub!

Sokudo Ningyou
October 22nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
BTW- this sounds like a fabulous body scrub!

That's all I used for a scrub for ages; brown sugar and coconut oil. However, it made the tub EXTREMELY slippery, and now that I've moved back home, I don't want to potentially kill my parents (they're in their 60's, and obviously more likely to fall). Sucks, because it really was an excellent scrub.

It didn't work so well for my scalp, though. I just couldn't work it in to actually scrub.

Tornerose
October 27th, 2009, 01:19 AM
When my coconut oil is solid, and I don't bother to heat it up, I put the bottle in my hands or under my sweater/whatever for a little while and it liquifies after say 15-30 mintues.
I keep alittle in a very small handsized bottle though.

Norai
October 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Coconut oil melts at 76 degrees F, this definitely is not too hot for your head! Just make sure not to heat it too long and check the temp before you use it... let it cool as much as you need~

caribou55313
October 27th, 2009, 08:49 PM
When I make sugar scrubs I just scoop out the solid coconut oil and stir in the sugar with a spoon. It stirs really easily even though it starts out solid. It doesn't need to be in a liquid state to make your scrub.