PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Green Hair

Eire
October 21st, 2009, 11:04 PM
After using my first henndigo mix several weeks ago, I lightened the surprisingly dark result successfully with honey. It seems that some strands took to the honey more readily than others (or maybe some strands took to the indigo more than others). My hair lightened, but somewhat unevenly. I got a quite light streak on the left side of my head and very dark areas on the right side.

A few days ago I applied an auburn henna gloss. It evened out the color quite well, but the light streak came out a prettier and more reddish shade than the rest. I was thinking about lightening the rest of my hair (except for the streak) with honey in a few weeks and re-applying the gloss. It says the gloss can be applied every 6 weeks.

I am concerned, however, with the effects of honey on indigoed hair. I know that indigo can have some pretty funky green results and that since my hair seems to be different from area to area I am not sure if a strand test would be conclusive.

For those who have heard of or seen green when lightening indigo -- was just henna being lightened, or was there existing chemical damage? Also, has a greening effect ever been observed when the lightening was done with honey, or just chemical bleaches? I am not sure if honey is a harsh enough lightener to cause greening of hair, or if that has happened to anyone in the past.

kdaniels8811
October 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
I lightened a too-dark hendigo with honey and was left with beautifully colored and conditioned hair. No green tinge at all. And the indigo will fade by itself, if left alone. I have not heard of honey causing hendigoed hair to go green, just bleach. So you should be fine. Oh, and welcome to LHC!

ktani
October 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Honey has been reported to lighten henndigoed hair and no, no green effect or damage reported, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=654115&postcount=3919, not once.

Eire
October 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Thank you both! I will proceed with confidence (:

janicelesa
December 13th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the info. I was also wondering about this.