PDA

View Full Version : heat caps for DC

jojo
October 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM
I have just ordered one of these http://www.beautyhairproducts.net/index.php/aphrodite/aphrodite-hair-proccessing-equipment/aphrodite-conditioning-cap/p_50.html for my weekly DC's.

Anybody got one or use a different type, do you think they are worth the money and do they make a difference to DC treatments?

Thanks x

Shermie Girl
October 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
I have one that is similar, it is made by Gold n Hot. I bought it at Sally Beauty for about $25.00. I love it. And I do think that it helps make my deep treatments more effective. I think it is worth every penny I paid. :D

ckf1963
October 21st, 2009, 10:41 PM
I have a Thermal Spa heating cap and it, too, was worth every penny. I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of yours.

jojo
October 21st, 2009, 11:07 PM
oh I could kiss you both!

thank you for your positive reviews, i cant wait for mine to come. xx

Carolyn
October 22nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
I have a similar one and love it. It's an electric Mastex cap. I think it does boost the effectiveness of a DT. I always use it when I do a SMT. I hope you like yours when you get it. Nothing nicer than getting cozy with your heat cap on a cold winter day.

jojo
October 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Oh I cant wait, it sounds bliss just me, a heat cap and a box of chocolates....bliss!

girloctopus
October 22nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
I've been looking into getting a heat cap as well. Thanks Shermie_Girl for posting about the one at Sally's. I checked out other places with no luck, and I like to see them in person first :)

I do have a (probably dumb) question though. Do you use cling film/Saran wrap/bags underneath them or do they melt?

Jojo, that does sound like bliss. Mmmmm chocolate.

jojo
October 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
ah yes it does and yes you wear a shower cap, carrier bag, cling film or whatever you have handy under the heat cap!

GlassEyes
October 22nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
I use my otherwise useless bonnet dryer, but yes, it does help.

Sissy
October 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
I have an electric Mastex cap and LOVE it! It def. makes my treatments SMT, DC, etc much more effective! I just plug it into an extension cord and I can still roam the room freely doing things as I please!

Carolyn
October 22nd, 2009, 03:35 PM
Jojo, I don't have the exact same heat cap as you do but I imagine they are all fairly similar. I use a plastic conditioner cap or a disposable shower cap. The conditioner caps are available at Sally's and Dollar Tree. I always take the "free" disposable shower caps when I stay in a motel. I've even asked housekeeping to leave me an extra one. I rinse them out and use them over and over again.

friskybiznus
October 22nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
oh no!! now I want one too...:D

LilyMunster
October 22nd, 2009, 11:21 PM
The one I got from Sally's has a seperate liner plastic cap. Thick vinyl. Then the plastic heat cap goes over that. I agree it makes the deep conditioning treatment better.

rogue_psyche
October 23rd, 2009, 12:44 AM
I have the cheap version that is intended to harness your own body heat. I rinse them out and replace them now and then. I use it every wash. I do think it works because even though it has been more than a month since I hennaed last sometimes I still smell henna right when I take it off. Just slightly. Before I started using it the smell would go away completely after maybe a week and a half.

I like how it reduces that slimy conditioner on the back feeling, especially since almost half my back gets touched by hair now. And I can shower condition at the same time, which is convenient.

The link to the one I use: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Conditioning-Cap/SBS-543908,default,pd.html

Linda K
October 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
I was thinking about getting an electric cap too (freezing last night under the towel w/ an SMT)!
The product reviews at SAlly's don't look so wonderful (so few of them). Googling - I stumbled across this "Shrink to Fit" cap. (What next! lol!) Anyway, they are 10 for $5 -
http://www.treasuredlocks.com/hydra-cap-conditioning-cap.html
Thot I'd share - even if it's just for a chuckle ...:D
I'd like to be able to move around - hence the one with good reviews wouldn't work - it's attached to the blowdryer.:(

jivete
October 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
I have one of these. http://www.curlmart.com/Micro-Heat-Cap-p-183.html#

I liked it okay, but the plastic inserts that go inside finally exploded, so it's just a fitted towel now. I may go ahead and get one of the corded ones.

jojo
October 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
My heat cap has arrived and is on my head as I type, I look like a nerd sat here with it on but my head feels so cosy. I have had it on 2 hours, after a 14 hour shift this IS bliss.

It feels warm but not hot but is comfortable, but ha I look sooooooo stupid! my dog keeps barking at me!

Cannot wait to see the results!

kdaniels8811
October 27th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I just ordered one from Amazon.com, do not remember the brand. Will post thoughts when it arrives.

basketcase413
October 27th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Cant' wait to hear more reviews. I'm actually sitting here thinking of how I could make on. I've "bread warmers" with a rice bag that fit into a pocket on a bread cloth.....hmmmm, wonder what I can come up with. Wouldn't be electric....but definately reuseable, and very "green" and earth friendly......

Tresses
October 27th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I have one of these. http://www.curlmart.com/Micro-Heat-Cap-p-183.html#

I liked it okay, but the plastic inserts that go inside finally exploded, so it's just a fitted towel now. I may go ahead and get one of the corded ones.

One of my gelpacs exploded, too, and I have been debating getting a corded cap, too. Leaning heavily in that direction at this moment. :ponder:

Carolyn
October 27th, 2009, 09:57 AM
One of my gelpacs exploded, too, and I have been debating getting a corded cap, too. Leaning heavily in that direction at this moment. :ponder:At first I thought I wanted a gel pac cap but I read of pacs exploding and that they only kept the heat for a period of time. I love my corded cap. I don't mind being "tethered" to it. It's easy to take off if I need to. When I do a DT I just plan to vege out on the couch for a while. It's wonderful in the winter.

ashimajoy
October 27th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Y'all will really laugh at me: I use a shower cap, then wrap my heating pad on my head with soft headbands. Go ahead, you can giggle... but it works <3

Tresses
October 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM
At first I thought I wanted a gel pac cap but I read of pacs exploding and that they only kept the heat for a period of time. I love my corded cap. I don't mind being "tethered" to it. It's easy to take off if I need to. When I do a DT I just plan to vege out on the couch for a while. It's wonderful in the winter.

That's it. I'm ordering one today. :D My Micro cap is something like 7 years old, I think. I didn't use it often the past few years, but the last time I did, I killed it. :( It was great when my kids were little, because I could run around the house after them, but the youngest is 9 now. Not really an issue. :lol:

Y'all will really laugh at me: I use a shower cap, then wrap my heating pad on my head with soft headbands. Go ahead, you can giggle... but it works <3

You're not alone! A number of people over the years have said they do that. :)

jojo
October 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Well results, I am very happy with mine, my hair somehow felt softer yet my hair is soft naturally but even more so and strangely enough really wavy, even my left hand side which is normally straighter went really wavy.

10/10 for me, I love it!

basketcase413
October 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM

:idea::uhh::thumbsup: Now why didn't I think of that?????? :rolleyes: LOL

saskia_madding
October 27th, 2009, 07:39 PM
This thread has totally enabled me. I just bought this -
http://www.fabove.ca/Therma-Spa-Heat-Cap.html

I can't wait to try it out with a catnip soak!

curls2grow
October 27th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I have one that is similar, it is made by Gold n Hot. I bought it at Sally Beauty for about $25.00. I love it. And I do think that it helps make my deep treatments more effective. I think it is worth every penny I paid. :DI second this. I sort of feel like I have a toaster cover on my head, but it really works well.

Tresses
October 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM
My Mastex heat cap arrived today. :cheese: I used it tonight with an SMT. Now this is one personal appliance that warrants that "do not use while sleeping" warning. I was toasty warm sitting on the couch watching tv. :yawn: My kids thought I looked like a blue cat, the way the corners stick up. :lol:

Still waiting for the hair to dry...

Linda K
November 1st, 2009, 01:29 AM
I bought the Mastek brand from thru Amazon. I read all the reviews on it. Mine fits the reviews of: too hot - on the low setting! I had it on last night - every 3-4 minutes, I shut it off for 5 minutes!

Incidentally, the company for whatever reason, sent 2 of them (separately). Thinking of trying the second one to see if it does the same thing ...:D

Carolyn
November 1st, 2009, 06:44 AM
I have a tip for you who have the Mastex heat cap. Here's what I do. I glop on the DC treatment and pile my hair on top of my head. Cover with plastic shower cap or a plastic processing/conditioner cap. Sallys has them. Dollar Tree has the same thing but I think they call them "disposable shower caps". THEN I cover it all with a Turbie Twist or something similar. I don't put the tail of the TT up on top of my head like they show doing in the ads. I treat it like a ponytail. I use an old crappy scrunchie and let the tail hang down the back. Then I put the heat cap on and get cozy. HTH!

Tresses
November 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM
I bought the Mastek brand from thru Amazon. I read all the reviews on it. Mine fits the reviews of: too hot - on the low setting! I had it on last night - every 3-4 minutes, I shut it off for 5 minutes!

Incidentally, the company for whatever reason, sent 2 of them (separately). Thinking of trying the second one to see if it does the same thing ...:D

Wow...I must have a numb skull. :p I used mine on the medium setting, with nothing but the disposable cap they included between me and the heat cap.

Carolyn, I don't think mine would fit with a turbie twist between. I have a not-quite-freakishly-large head. :o

Carolyn
November 1st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Carolyn, I don't think mine would fit with a turbie twist between. I have a not-quite-freakishly-large head. :oI have a big head too. I don't use one of my heavier Turbies. I like to old worn out ones. I should have mentioned that. And don't to the tail up the back of the head thing. My heat cap fits snuggly with the Turbie. Sally's carried a thin stretchy turban that works too. It goes on like a stocking cap. That allows for extra room.

kdaniels8811
November 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM
I tried my new Thermal Spa heat cap today with a SMT and WOW! This is definately a keeper. I can really tell it made a difference in my hair, SMT's are good anyway but this made it great. I will be doing weekly treatments. I bought it on amazon.com for $17 plus $5 shipping and it well worth the price. You guys enabled me, I am now enabling someone else... Cannot wait to try it with henna!

Celebrian
November 1st, 2009, 04:37 PM
Oh dear. More enabling for when I get a bit of Christmas money (soon!:D):

So, that's one heating cap.
Fresh slendertone flex pads
Fresh Cleo ll pads
New jeans
New bra's
One pair snazzy (but comfortable) townwalking shoes
At least one book (that I've had my eye on for months!)
Oh help... :rolleyes:

Sissy
November 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM
This thread has totally enabled me. I just bought this -
http://www.fabove.ca/Therma-Spa-Heat-Cap.html

I can't wait to try it out with a catnip soak!

That's the one I own and actually it's on my head right now doing a cholesterol moisturizing treatment with Lustrasilk's Shea Butter Mango Cholesterol :p heaven!

I do not find mine too hot... I use it on the hottest setting with just my hair and a plastic shower cap on.

Cinnamon Hair
November 4th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Wow...I must have a numb skull. :p I used mine on the medium setting, with nothing but the disposable cap they included between me and the heat cap.

:rollin: I use mine exclusively on high and never once got too hot. It is warm, but not unpleasant. Maybe I have built up a tolerance to it? I do roll up a couple wash clothes to put across the front so drips don't get in my face... that might make a difference.

Linda K
November 6th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Cant' wait to hear more reviews. I'm actually sitting here thinking of how I could make on. I've "bread warmers" with a rice bag that fit into a pocket on a bread cloth.....hmmmm, wonder what I can come up with. Wouldn't be electric....but definately reuseable, and very "green" and earth friendly...... Sounds like a good idea! Let us know how it turns out ... :)

I have a tip for you who have the Mastex heat cap. Here's what I do. I glop on the DC treatment and pile my hair on top of my head. Cover with plastic shower cap or a plastic processing/conditioner cap. Sallys has them. Dollar Tree has the same thing but I think they call them "disposable shower caps". THEN I cover it all with a Turbie Twist or something similar. I don't put the tail of the TT up on top of my head like they show doing in the ads. I treat it like a ponytail. I use an old crappy scrunchie and let the tail hang down the back. Then I put the heat cap on and get cozy. HTH!
Great idea! Thanks! Since I can't sleep, I'm sitting here now w/ it done up like this. I'm trying the second one out (xx'd fingers that it won't be as hot as the 1st one). It certainly heated up really fast like the first! I also have this one on low. It's been 3 minutes. It may just be more tolerable w/ the turbie in between. :D

When I tried out the first cap, it felt like my scalp was about to be scalded. :(

Tonight's hair treat is the Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor. Leave on 5 min. for extreme cases. A "One Step" product for strength and softness.

Oh dear. More enabling for when I get a bit of Christmas money (soon!:D):

So, that's one heating cap.
Fresh slendertone flex pads
Fresh Cleo ll pads
New jeans
New bra's
One pair snazzy (but comfortable) townwalking shoes
At least one book (that I've had my eye on for months!)
Oh help... :rolleyes:
Heck, might as well add some comfy new jammy's too! (If it gets wintery in your area!) :)

chloeishere
November 6th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I got the one at Sally's today-- Gold N Heat. I had a 5 dollar off coupon, and it was 28.99 before that (with the Sally's card, an extra dollar without).

It worked really nicely, I put on an ion protein treatment, mixed with a little bit of melted coconut oil, and some Henna Nature's gate conditioner. I tried it on low and medium, and both were comfortable, but medium was definitely hotter. It is definitely too big for my shrimpy head. And it does look like a toaster cozy or something... pretty ridiculous! It was definitely a pleasant experience, though. I lounged around and read.

I think I'll try using it the next time I do a coconut oil deep treatment, I don't have much time for them anymore, and I question if it's worth doing for an hour or so... but maybe the heat cap will help me feel that it's really worthwhile!

Carolyn
November 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM
One great thing about a heat cap is it maximized your results in less time. You can take a nap or read or knit and multi task your time.

Sissy
November 6th, 2009, 04:52 PM
One great thing about a heat cap is it maximized your results in less time. You can take a nap or read or knit and multi task your time.

so true... and with the use of an extension cord you can roam around the room working on projects looking like some sort of experiment or astronaut :D

kmangus
November 7th, 2009, 11:00 AM
You enabling women!! here i thought that using a heating pad and a beanie was good enough....i had no idea they made caps like these! :)

Carolyn
November 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM
You enabling women!! here i thought that using a heating pad and a beanie was good enough....i had no idea they made caps like these! :)Bwaaahaha! A lot of us started with a heating pad or an old bonnet type hair dryer and upgraded from there.

ladycatpurrs
November 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Again, the masterminds of hair growing have made me spend money! I got the Thermal Spa cap from ebay, 23.00 total so not too bad. I am sitting here with a toasty head, soaking up a protein treatment. MMMM, warm head. My DH gave me a weird look and I just said "my hair". Bless him, that is beginning to explain lots of my strange behavior to him!

chloeishere
November 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I can't believe how easy my hair was to comb today. Obviously, I have been needing a protein treatment, because it feels so much better now, and it was so ridiculously easy to detangle after an hour of protein under my heat cap.

Anyone have any good protein treatment suggestions? I don't want anything as hardcore as that 5 minute max aphogee stuff, but I also don't want to use henna and placenta, and I don't want anything with mineral oil and cones (which is hard to find, apparently, I've been looking!)

Sissy
November 8th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Anyone have any good protein treatment suggestions? I don't want anything as hardcore as that 5 minute max aphogee stuff, but I also don't want to use henna and placenta, and I don't want anything with mineral oil and cones (which is hard to find, apparently, I've been looking!)

I recently tried Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango Cholesterol and it worked nicely. I does not seem to contain mineral oil or cones. I liked it very much.

I also do have good luck with Henna N Placenta and the Ion intensive Reconstructor sold at Sally's. I also like Joico Reconstructor and the GVP generic one sold at Sally's (they do have mineral oil).

Other recommendations... how about a soak under the heat cap with Aubrey Organic's GPB Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner (contains milk protein)? I also think doing a deep treatment with coconut milk (purchased in the grocery store) would be considered a protein treatment?

chloeishere
November 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I recently tried Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango Cholesterol and it worked nicely. I does not seem to contain mineral oil or cones. I liked it very much.

I also do have good luck with Henna N Placenta and the Ion intensive Reconstructor sold at Sally's. I also like Joico Reconstructor and the GVP generic one sold at Sally's (they do have mineral oil).

Other recommendations... how about a soak under the heat cap with Aubrey Organic's GPB Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner (contains milk protein)? I also think doing a deep treatment with coconut milk (purchased in the grocery store) would be considered a protein treatment?

Oooh, thanks for the great suggestions! :flower: I have intended to try coconut milk sometime, but completely forgot about it. I'll have to pick up a can the next time I'm at the grocery.
Did you get the Lustrasilk at Sally's, or somewhere else? It sounds exactly like what I've been looking for. I've looked at Sally's, Walmart, and Target, but after a while even I can tire of reading ingredients lists, so I have, by no means, checked all deep treatments, especially at Sally's!

I have tried, and like Henna N Placenta, and I do have a big bottle that I want to finish off... it's just that after reading about it (there's a thread on here about it), and how the placental hormones can, in fact, be absorbed to some extent through your scalp... I've decided it's not a product I wish to purchase again. Which is a shame, because it is awesome for my hair.

I have an Ion Intensive conditioning treatment (it's what I used last time, that is sold in a packet) with lot of hydrolized keratin and such, and I like it, but the smell is just dismal. It smells very chemical and unpleasant to me, I think it's unscented, and though I like it, I don't LOVE it. I looked at the Joico stuff, but was turned off by the mineral oil. Maybe I should try it anyway!

Sissy
November 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Did you get the Lustrasilk at Sally's, or somewhere else? It sounds exactly like what I've been looking for. I've looked at Sally's, Walmart, and Target, but after a while even I can tire of reading ingredients lists, so I have, by no means, checked all deep treatments, especially at Sally's!

Yes, I purchased the LUstrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus Mango from Sally's online store (after attempting to buy it in my local Sally's but they didn't carry it!).

The ingredients are:
water(aqua), stearamidopryl dimethylamine, stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, shea butter, mango seed butter, cholesterol, soybean oil, safflower oil, wheat germ oil, aloe vera extrect, fragrance, vitamin e, methylparaben, propylparaben, phosphoric acid, sodium chloride, dmdm hydantation, disodium edta, yellow #5, yellow #6.

This person posts a review of how they successfully mixed things into it and loved the results:
http://diaryofakinkycurlytransition.blogspot.com/2009/06/product-review-lustrasilk-cholesterol.html

Also, I do think the Joico Reconstructor or the generic version of it available at Sally Beauty Supply are very good products for protein treatments. The generic is called GVP Reconstructor

Regarding coconut milk soak/treatment that is something I've been wanting to try for the longest time too!

Hope this helps.

Flynn
November 8th, 2009, 10:10 PM

Yeah! I pile my hair on top of my head, wrap it up in a plastic bag, plonk my Heat Wheat (http://www.heatwheat.com/) on top, then tie a cloth bag (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_K_3jgRj_Rj4/SefFd5WUVJI/AAAAAAAACJo/aOviC5LmH_4/s400/reusable+bags+say+no+to+paper+plastic+bag.bmp) over that. Does the trick!

I'm eventually going to make a "heat rice" cap, though... eventually.

chloeishere
November 8th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Yes, I purchased the LUstrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus Mango from Sally's online store (after attempting to buy it in my local Sally's but they didn't carry it!).

The ingredients are:
water(aqua), stearamidopryl dimethylamine, stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, shea butter, mango seed butter, cholesterol, soybean oil, safflower oil, wheat germ oil, aloe vera extrect, fragrance, vitamin e, methylparaben, propylparaben, phosphoric acid, sodium chloride, dmdm hydantation, disodium edta, yellow #5, yellow #6.

This person posts a review of how they successfully mixed things into it and loved the results:
http://diaryofakinkycurlytransition.blogspot.com/2009/06/product-review-lustrasilk-cholesterol.html

Also, I do think the Joico Reconstructor or the generic version of it available at Sally Beauty Supply are very good products for protein treatments. The generic is called GVP Reconstructor

Regarding coconut milk soak/treatment that is something I've been wanting to try for the longest time too!

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thanks so much, Sissy!

I drive by a Sally's to school everyday that has a large section dedicated to African American haircare, due to the local population. I'm hoping they'll have it in stock, because I really want to try it (the price is ridiculous, too!). I am going to try the Joico eventually, and yes, the coconut milk is a definite plan. I did do a coconut oil deep treatment tonight under my heat cap while I was folding laundry and watching stuff on my computer, so I'll see how that worked soon.

saskia_madding
December 7th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Okay, I'm resurrecting this thread because I need advice. I bought this Mastex (http://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Professional-Hair-Conditioning-Mastex/dp/B00023E6EQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)cap from a Canadian vendor. I was super excited to try it, but right out of the box the back panel didn't warm from my ears down. That leaves the back of my head and nape of my neck unheated. That's prime bun location during DTs!

I sent it back and got a replacement, which just arrived today. It has the same problem. I can feel a coil in there, so I think it should heat up but I'm not sure if I got another defective product or that is just how this brand of caps is.

Can anyone who owns owns one offer an opinion? And does anyone know of another creliableap that will heat an entire head? I don't mind being jacked into an outlet.

Tresses
December 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM
simone, that's the one that I bought, and you are correct: the back does not heat up. I've read that in the comments on several sites, so I think it's normal for that model. I just pile all my hair on top of my head. The cap is snug enough that it all stays up there. Also, the back of my head does get warm, just from the whole head being wrapped.

saskia_madding
December 8th, 2009, 11:41 AM
To everyone with those Mastex caps - as a head's up, I talked to the manufacturer today and they said that the back lower portion *is* supposed to heat.

They are sending me a replacement and I asked that they test it first. So if they test it and approve it and it arrives and it STILL doesn't work, I'll know that that is just how the product is.

enfys
December 8th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Oh no. All this time I thought I didn't need one of these. Finally I see the light.

What temperatures do they reach? In C or F degrees; I dont mind converting.