PDA

View Full Version : Advice on medication

FB
October 21st, 2009, 03:47 PM
I have been taking birth control for 9 1/2 years (ortho tri cyclene low). I am hating how it is now making me feel moody and depressed. So the point is that I am thinking of getting off of it if the doctor says ok but I am worried that this might make me lose hair. And then if I have to get back on or onto another kind of birthcontrol then what might that do to my hair??? Please any advice and words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Themyst
October 21st, 2009, 04:18 PM
I would take your concern seriously. I'm on Ortho Tri-cyclen and I stopped taking it about three months ago. One month after I stopped it, my hair started shedding like never before - it scared me. I know it was related to stopping the BC because this has never, ever happened before. I immediately started taking it again and the shedding stopped and now I am back to normal.

Shorty89
October 21st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Have you considered changing to a non-fluxiating type of birth control. I started on Ortho, but my doctor switched me to Alysse after it gave me terrible mood swings. If you don't want to go off BC that could help and shouldn't make you shed.

Longlocks3
October 21st, 2009, 04:41 PM
I was on Ortho Tri cyclene Lo for 5 years. I finally had to change BC pills because I started having side effects to it. I guess it's common for your body to change and begin negative side effects even after taking it for a while, according to my nurse practitioner.

I have been switched to a generic form of Microgestin. I didn't notice any big shedding when switching between the two different types but this is my last round of BC pills, in early November I will be having an IUD inserted. I'll be on the watch for a big shed.

FB
October 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Please let me know if you do notice shedding after the IUD.