PDA

View Full Version : Sock bun fun lol

halo_tightens
October 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM
I was just sitting here, and a co-worker (about my age) walked by my desk and said something to me-- and playfully poked my sock bun as she spoke. Suddenly she stopped in her tracks! She got this funny look on her face and started poking and prodding a little more earnestly. (She's someone I know, and this was not at all bothersome or inappropriate.)

She didn't know there was a fat sock roll hiding in there, so she thought at first that it was all hair! She knows how long my hair currently is, so it turns out that she was having a moment of shock thinking that my hair was somehow that thick all on its own. I don't think anyone naturally has hair as thick as my big fat sock buns, lol.

Then she insisted on being shown how to do it, which I happily did. Maybe I won't always be the only one in town who wears buns! :cheese:

gnegirl
October 21st, 2009, 12:52 PM
I love sock buns! With my current length, its the only bun that doesn't look 'miniature'.

redneckprincess
October 21st, 2009, 12:59 PM
I wore one {a sock bun} to play practice and a girl with loooong hair (to her waist) said to me "thats so cute how did you do that?" luckly part way into the explination she had heard of a sock bun but i told her about some variations with hair the length of hers....
pertty soon i think im going to try to wear a sock bun every day for as long as i can...i will shoot for a month

marikamt
October 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM
when I first joined, I was doing socks buns... I am now at a length (just past BSL) where i am having a hard time (too much hair???) but I have layers, so regular buns are a no go...
Anyone else experience this?? Or am I doing something wrong????

Spring
October 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM
I haven't tried sock buns yet, but I want to. Marikamt are your layers hard to roll under, or are they popping out after you've bunned everything? The reason I haven't tried this cute bun yet is because my buns tend to rub on things (car head rest, high collars, the back of couch) and get messy :(.

sharpclaw
October 21st, 2009, 01:48 PM
You put a sock in your hair? What does a sock bun do?

marikamt
October 21st, 2009, 01:48 PM
I haven't tried sock buns yet, but I want to. Marikamt are your layers hard to roll under, or are they popping out after you've bunned everything? The reason I haven't tried this cute bun yet is because my buns tend to rub on things (car head rest, high collars, the back of couch) and get messy :(.

With the sock bun, at this length I am having a hard time getting everything tucked in tight...... the layers are at an awkward length and so when I get bottom tight, the top falls out, etc.

with a regular bun, I can make it stay w/ a scrunchie (which is quite an attractive look :p)... I would love to use hairsticks or forks , but my layers are sliding out... pins work, but I hate the thought of pins in my hair (damage).

marikamt
October 21st, 2009, 01:50 PM
You put a sock in your hair? What does a sock bun do?

It is actually a "donut" type form, usually made out of a sock (cause it is cheap and easy) and you roll your hair around it. It makes for a pretty, neat, larger looking bun, especially if you don't have a lot of hair yet. There is a how to somewhere in here, I will find and post for you...
be back in a minute... :D

jojo
October 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
I really miss sock buns, my hair doesnt fit in them anymore, another good reason to savour all the different lengths our hair goes through.

marikamt
October 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29777&highlight=sock

Here is the sock bun link...

Spring
October 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
With the sock bun, at this length I am having a hard time getting everything tucked in tight...... the layers are at an awkward length and so when I get bottom tight, the top falls out, etc.

with a regular bun, I can make it stay w/ a scrunchie (which is quite an attractive look :p)... I would love to use hairsticks or forks , but my layers are sliding out... pins work, but I hate the thought of pins in my hair (damage).

Same here.....

gnegirl
October 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
I use another wrapped elastic that is the same color as my hair and put it around the base on the 'outside' and tuck the strays into that.

plainjanegirl
October 21st, 2009, 03:22 PM
I can still do the older version of the sock bun , but for the life of me I just cannot get my hair to cooperate with the newer version . When I tried it just caused major tangles.

Spring
October 21st, 2009, 06:41 PM
I can still do the older version of the sock bun , but for the life of me I just cannot get my hair to cooperate with the newer version . When I tried it just caused major tangles.

I wonder if the longer our hair gets, the harder it is to roll the hair onto the sock evenly :confused:. I'm also wondering now if any of the longer haired ladies have an easy time with the sock bun? But if it doesn't work out with the sock bun, those with wl, tbl, and longer hair can easily style their hair in incredible buns without the sock!:p

Flynn
October 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM

If by pins, you mean bobby pins, just don't. ;p

You should be able to secure your hair at least as effectively (if not more so) using u-shaped pins. (Also sold as bun pins, hair pins or, for reasons I can't fathom, fringe pins.) They're a little like Amish pins, but you can buy them for 20c-for-two-dozen at the supermarket.

Amara
October 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Haha, I can just imagine your friend poke-poking at your bun thinking "OMG!" LOL

Chibbylick
October 21st, 2009, 10:55 PM
This thread inspired me to try sock buns for the first time today. DH thinks it is a bit too princess leia, and they fell down a bit while I was mowing the lawn and chasing our chickens. I think they are fun! Thanks for the inspiration!
Chibby

Quixii
October 21st, 2009, 11:41 PM
Wait, I'm just a little confused. Are people doing the old sock bun (ends are braided/whatever and wrapped around base) or the newer one (all hair is rolled up in sock)? Because I didn't think it was possible to outgrow a sock bun, since you just wrap the ends around or whatever. Honestly, my hair is longer than that and I did a sock bun with relative ease.
(Speaking of which, I should do that again. I still haven't worn one out in public.)

Rivanariko
October 22nd, 2009, 12:42 AM
I'm with Quixii, I didn't think it was really possible to outgrow a sock bun. I've only tried it a few times, but I haven't had a problem with it. I haven't had any success with the "new" sock bun yet, but I haven't put that much time into it.

Dars
October 22nd, 2009, 03:17 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29777&highlight=sock

Here is the sock bun link...
Ahh! I thank-you so much for posting this link! I tried that girls variant of the sock bun tonight (my first ever sock bun as well). I love it! :D

Avani
October 22nd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Wow! going to try the sock bun tonight! Always wondered how to get a 'fat' bun! Thanks xxxxx

halo_tightens
October 22nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
And for the record, lol, I'm still doing the "old" sock bun. After I've placed and secured the sock, I only have a couple of inches of ends sticking out all around. I just use a wide band around the base of the bun and tuck all the ends in. (My sock roll is huge! I got tired of one sock and went to two rolled together :D)

I haven't had any success with the "new" version yet. I don't think my hair is long enough yet. I love how it looks, though. I'll be giving it another try when I have enough hair.

Anje
October 22nd, 2009, 07:48 AM
I just get a tangled mess trying the "new" sockbun in the link.

The "old" and more standard one can be found here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=36) For those with thinner hair, like me, I recommend starting with a sock closer to your hair color. I've found brown socks at the dollar store, FYI.

redneckprincess
October 22nd, 2009, 07:57 AM
And for the record, lol, I'm still doing the "old" sock bun. After I've placed and secured the sock, I only have a couple of inches of ends sticking out all around. I just use a wide band around the base of the bun and tuck all the ends in. (My sock roll is huge! I got tired of one sock and went to two rolled together :D)

I haven't had any success with the "new" version yet. I don't think my hair is long enough yet. I love how it looks, though. I'll be giving it another try when I have enough hair.

my layers are way to bad to even begin to think about trying the "new" sock bun...I cant wait to give it a try though....oh maybe it will work with wet hair .........**running to the mirror

redneckprincess
October 22nd, 2009, 08:02 AM
my layers are way to bad to even begin to think about trying the "new" sock bun...I cant wait to give it a try though....oh maybe it will work with wet hair .........**running to the mirror

nope...maybe in a few more months..:pumpkin: oh well something to look forward to

halo_tightens
October 22nd, 2009, 08:22 AM
nope...maybe in a few more months..:pumpkin: oh well something to look forward to

You and me both! We're growing out together, so let me know if you suddenly find yourself able to do it one day! :D

marikamt
October 22nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Well the "new" sock bun was all the rage when I joined... I started w/ that and really liked it..... I can't get my hair up in it now (as to above listed reasons). I can do the old one w/ hair wrapped around, but I have layers so I haven't figured out a way to keep the "pokeys" at bay..... and I really hate bobby pins. Maybe I do have to go buy amish pins............

butterflycayton
October 22nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
I have tried the new version and same problem one side will roll better than the other and the shorter layers stick out everywhere! I was have great luck with the old sock bun but now it seems loose and sort of hangs down. Some days my hair will just do what I want, then other days, it has a mind of its own.

redneckprincess
October 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
You and me both! We're growing out together, so let me know if you suddenly find yourself able to do it one day! :D
and you do the same...though Im VERY layered so i may take some time longer...

Rentlle
October 22nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
haha, love the story! :)
Me to had that experience, and i explained it too.
But the girl doesn't wear buns now :(

SarahBeth
August 12th, 2010, 08:26 AM
don't you just love sock buns!

HuggyBear
August 12th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Sock buns are the best! They make me look like I have a lot of hair. :)

halo_tightens
August 12th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Wow, I had completely forgotten about this! :p

I don't think I've ever seen so many sock-bun-related threads on the front page at the same time, either. Impressive...

Alvrodul
August 12th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I was just sitting here, and a co-worker (about my age) walked by my desk and said something to me-- and playfully poked my sock bun as she spoke. Suddenly she stopped in her tracks! She got this funny look on her face and started poking and prodding a little more earnestly. (She's someone I know, and this was not at all bothersome or inappropriate.)

She didn't know there was a fat sock roll hiding in there, so she thought at first that it was all hair! She knows how long my hair currently is, so it turns out that she was having a moment of shock thinking that my hair was somehow that thick all on its own. I don't think anyone naturally has hair as thick as my big fat sock buns, lol.

Then she insisted on being shown how to do it, which I happily did. Maybe I won't always be the only one in town who wears buns! :cheese:
That definitely sounds like fun. I haven't tried a sock bun yet, but it is on my to do list!:)

rhondalicious
August 12th, 2010, 10:50 AM
hah, for the first time since my big chop last September, I've got my hair in a sock bun! My ends are so layered that it looks like I put one of those fake spikey end ponytail holders around a normal bun!

Kibitzer
August 12th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Sock buns are the greatest.

Tabihito
August 12th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, all the non-cadet freshmen are always in awe of the female cadets and our sock buns. I've had more than one person ask to touch it, which I've always declined, because that's just too weird for me. Some of the longer-haired girls have these insane buns though, they're pretty cool. And always so neat! Mine always looked like I'd attacked it with velcro after putting it in, so I had to use about a million ponytail holders and bobby pins to keep the ends in (plus a lot of gel). Longer hair this year is going to be so much better...

Though, because I do wear a sock bun in uniform, I don't think I'm ever going to be able to wear one for any other occasion. It'd be too weird, like wearing my combat boots with something other than ACUs.

I do like the look of sock buns on other people though.

heynormy
August 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I tend to wear the sock bun with no hair leftover and people stare at me all the time! Maybe it's because my bun is as big as my head!!
Sock buns rock. End of story!!