PDA

View Full Version : not the milestone I was looking forward too...

frodolaughs
October 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM
This morning I was combing out my hair after the shower when I noticed this light-colored piece of dust on top of my head. I tried to pick it off, but it was attached. It seems that while I wasn't paying attention I've been getting a lot of new growth (Yay!). I have lots of 1-2 inch hairs coming in. But a good number of them are not black. :rolleyes:
I've had a few gray hairs since high school, but they're near my temples and the same texture as the rest of my hair. These new ones are course and they want to stick straight out at the top of my head. I guess this was bound to happen sooner or later.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3818&pictureid=53293

Jezerellica
October 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
This morning I was combing out my hair after the shower when I noticed this light-colored piece of dust on top of my head. I tried to pick it off, but it was attached. It seems that while I wasn't paying attention I've been getting a lot of new growth (Yay!). I have lots of 1-2 inch hairs coming in. But a good number of them are not black. :rolleyes:
I've had a few gray hairs since high school, but they're near my temples and the same texture as the rest of my hair. These new ones are course and they want to stick straight out at the top of my head. I guess this was bound to happen sooner or later.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3818&pictureid=53293

It happens to everyone at some point. Today was your day. :rolleyes: Remember color is your friend if you do not want to look at gray hair. Many people I know have made peace and love their gray! I have a friend with very large gray patch at 30. She's fine with it!!

burns_erin
October 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Grey happens. And if ti is not where you want to go, I bet henna would make for some fabulous red highlights on your very dark hair.

frodolaughs
October 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Jezerellica,
Thanks. It isn't the look I mind so much (I like the way gray hair looks, actually)--it's the reminder that time is passing and the underlying feeling that somehow I am 'behind' in my life or that it may be passing me by in some undefinable way.

sharpclaw
October 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM
I have a friend with very large gray patch at 30. She's fine with it!!I had a friend who had all grey hair in her early thirties and she looked great with it. She was lucky because her hair came in gray with a solid lock of white in the front, which looked very stylish and added a silvery aspect to her gray.

Toadstool
October 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM
I think it does mark a certain rite of passage whatever your age. I have loads.:grouphug:

Canarygirl
October 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM
while we're on the subject, why is it that these new young greys grow in all wiry and weird?? :confused: Does lack of pigment really change the texture so much?

frodolaughs
October 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM
while we're on the subject, why is it that these new young greys grow in all wiry and weird?? :confused: Does lack of pigment really change the texture so much?
I'd love to know. The new texture is really weird. I think they must be structurally different as well as lacking in pigment. Pigment isn't structural is it?

off topic--I just noticed that I titled this post with 'too' instead of 'to' Ack.

Jezerellica
October 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Jezerellica,
Thanks. It isn't the look I mind so much (I like the way gray hair looks, actually)--it's the reminder that time is passing and the underlying feeling that somehow I am 'behind' in my life or that it may be passing me by in some undefinable way.

Oh my goodness, can I relate!! For me it is how old I am, for you it is color of new growth in your hair. I so understand. I also feel life is passing me by and I have missed important milestones that friends seem to have gone through with no problem. I'm not established enough to PM, but I wish I could. Just know you are in my thoughts!

Jezerellica
October 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM

Oh yes, that whole texture thing is so weird! I am so greateful for genetics that have me counting my grays on one hand. But still giggling at that texture!! It is so funny!! :wigtongue

pilateschick7
October 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
If it makes you feel better, while I don't have any gray in my hair yet, my pre Halloween discovery has rocked my world. I found a long WHITE hair growing on my chin. No mole is associated. I am quite disgusted at the audacity of that hair. Luckily I have a pair of tweezers.:)

Often the people I spend time comparing myself to have issues behind closed doors that I would not want in a hundred years.
:grouphug:

spidermom
October 21st, 2009, 03:57 PM
I've got some very wirey weird ones and some that are pretty much like my hair has always been, except the color. I hate the wirey weird ones! They don't blend into anything I want to do with my hair but go sproinging off into their own warped trajectory.

Faolan
October 21st, 2009, 06:26 PM
I actually found my very first gray hair last week and it totally creeped me out. I feel like I shouldn't be able to get grays while I'm still in high school.

pinchbeck
October 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
Gray hair is kind of depressing. It is a constant daily reminder that I am loosing my youth and the melanin in my hair that I have been used to for 41 years. The grays are rampant at the sides of my head and are coming in at the hairline which cannot be covered. I honestly do not like the look of really long gray hair.

Yesterday I saw a woman in her 50s with mid-back length salt and pepper hair. She had bangs and it was clipped half up with a barrette. It didn't look nice and it saddened me because I am heading in that direction. I wish I knew how to take care of my light golden brown hair years ago. The gray cannot be seen in my photos because I have a crappy cell phone to take photos with and my hair is down (the grey in underneath).

I feel for you and hope one day I can accept this change in myself and find a way to embrace and like it.

frodolaughs
October 21st, 2009, 11:02 PM
Spidermom, those weird wirey sproining up things? That's what's popping up at the back of my part. Sproing! At least the word is fun and "sproinging of into their own weird warped trajectory" describes my own tendencies pretty well.
I think my grays will be mostly this type--my mom has a lot of gray and all of hers are the weird and sproingy kind.

clairenewcastle
October 22nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Gray hair is kind of depressing. It is a constant daily reminder that I am loosing my youth and the melanin in my hair that I have been used to for 41 years. The grays are rampant at the sides of my head and are coming in at the hairline which cannot be covered. I honestly do not like the look of really long gray hair.

Yesterday I saw a woman in her 50s with mid-back length salt and pepper hair. She had bangs and it was clipped half up with a barrette. It didn't look nice and it saddened me because I am heading in that direction. I wish I knew how to take care of my light golden brown hair years ago. The gray cannot be seen in my photos because I have a crappy cell phone to take photos with and my hair is down (the grey in underneath).

I feel for you and hope one day I can accept this change in myself and find a way to embrace and like it.

You should check out the Salt and Pepper thread - it's a positive celebration of our silver hair!
Give it a go, you could end up embracing your greys sooner than you think.

pradabacon
October 22nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Come to us, Frodo. Coommmmeeeeee to ussssssss!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951

:laugh:

Chrissy
October 22nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Mine is coming in white I think. Since my hair is a lighter color it's hard to see them. My young son points them out. I don't really care though, well at least for now. My great Aunt had beautiful totally white hair. It was really pretty. I'm hoping for that. If it bugs me I'll check out color. For now I'm fine with it. It does still seem weird though even though I'm in my 50's.