PDA

View Full Version : The itch to dye is creeping in...

beachwaves
October 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I have always been a blond untill I had kids. Now I am well...dark but not brown...ashy. I am seriously bored with my color and am tempted to dye it blonde!
Here is my picture from my album...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4140&pictureid=53195

Is anyone out there able to dye there hair blond and still have healthy hair...need some advice?

above_rubies
October 20th, 2009, 08:30 PM
OK, my answer is not going to be very popular on this board. My sister also had blonde hair till she had kids. She has died it for years and you can't even tell. It is soft, silky, and shiny. I think because of it starting out blonde it takes less chemical to get it back that way. She does it herself from the box(not sure brand). When I tried to lighten my hair all it did was turn it straw feeling but didn't change the color at all. So my conclusion is if you start out blonde you're better off. But I'm new to this whole taking better care of your hair thing so I'm no expert.

Demetrue
October 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM
beachwaves, I don't think you will be able to lift your hair to a light blonde without some damage because it looks like you will need to lift at least 3 shades lighter. I think that regular box dye may simply turn your hair orange. What about experimenting with honey lightening and/or John Freida's lightening shampoo/conditioner first? Then you could try using cassia for warm golden tones.

Syaoransbear
October 20th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I dye my hair light blonde from dirty blonde and it's very healthy. 99% of the damage I have is from using straighteners everyday on maximum heat. The few inches at the top of my head that are dyed but have only been straightened once or twice are extremely soft, shiny and healthy. The use of coconut oil has helped my hair tonnes, and every time I go to the hair dresser she comments on how healthy my hair is getting.

You CAN have healthy hair that is dyed. Unless you are an infant, your hair will always have some degree of damage, so I'd rather sacrifice a bit of hair-health so that I can love my color.

Do you happen to have a picture of your hair in natural sunlight?

spidermom
October 20th, 2009, 08:42 PM
We have several bottle blondes around who have gorgeous hair. There is a thread on the Mane Forum about bottle blondes (called, I think: Bottle Blondes Grow Long; I started it, though my own color is natural).

JCFantasy23
October 20th, 2009, 11:28 PM
My hair was as dark as yours and I ended up with a light blonde shade. The only dye that worked for me was Loreal Preference and ultra blondes...other dye brands never changed my color a bit for some reason. For the first three to six months there's red and brassiness, but it has a pretty look all on its own to some people. As for damage if you really baby your hair it will be better. There will be damage at first but after you get the desired shade and then only dye the roots, I don't see the issue with repairing the rest with deep moisture treatments and so on. Everyone's hair is different and reacts differently though.

Flynn
October 20th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Over on the Recipes, Henna and Herbal Haircare, Ktani has a thread on ways you may be able to protect your hair from peroxide damage if you're going lighter by conventional methods.

There's always honey lightening, too, which is slower, but quite gentle.

Toadstool
October 21st, 2009, 12:49 AM
It's not that I think there's anything wrong with colouring your hair, except...
it looks so beautiful as it is!

RancheroTheBee
October 21st, 2009, 01:00 AM
:) I color. So do a lot of other people. JJLongHair (is that her name?) has exceptionally beautiful hair that she colors blonde. You're allowed to if you want, but the two-week rule (or is it three weeks?) is always a good idea.

ETA: My natural haircolor is a little redder than yours, but I successfully went to blonde when I had virgin hair. :) Maybe start with highlights?

Roseate
October 21st, 2009, 01:30 AM
I have to say, I love your natural color. If you have to do something to it, start with highlights so you can keep some of that beautiful variety of shades you have. Bleaching it all out could look flat.

There are plenty of members here with highlights or chem dye... depending on how your hair responds to peroxide, it can be possible to grow long with a dye job.

Demetrue
October 21st, 2009, 05:20 AM
JJJLonghair doesn't "dye" her hair - she uses Sun-in every now and then and combs it through.

PS have you tried lemon juice and chamomile rinse to get highlights?

redneckprincess
October 21st, 2009, 06:24 AM
I hear ya...I dont really want to color mine but the thought keeps crossing my mind lately

Ponytale
October 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM
I am so with you!

When I am blonder, my complexion and eyes look brighter (I have very little pigment in my blue/green eyes). I have finally compromised with this: I use honey every week to keep the ashy blonde bright, then add highlights in the front to brighten (which I literally do as about 5 strands each to keep more "natural" against the dark, and to reduce damage).

Am I still tempted to color completely? Sure, but I won't keep up with the upkeep--that I know!

gnegirl
October 21st, 2009, 07:07 AM
IMO, its the ponytails and barrettes that do more damage to my hair than any dye ever did. (i'm really bad, strawberry blonde in summer, and brunette in winter) I get it professionally done.

florenonite
October 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
I love your colour! It's so pretty. I can understand if you don't like it yourself, though, having been blonde all your life.

If I were in your position, I would probably experiment with honey lightening first and see if that gets you the desired results. If it fails, then look at dyes. There are members here with long hair who dye it. You could also look into Sun-In and lemon juice, though those tend to be drying.

Unofficial_Rose
October 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM
Your natural colour is very pretty, as others have said.

I don't see the harm in a few highlights though, if you would like to be a bit lighter without the upkeep. But then I :heartbeat highlights...

Jezerellica
October 21st, 2009, 03:51 PM
I color my hair as well. Salon foil highlights and lowlights. I know it is damaging, but I try to offset with coconut oil. I just discovered it and it is like magic. My hair loves it.

It is the closest I have come to actually hearing my hair thank me!! Hee hee!!! I hear no other voices, promise!! = )

spidermom
October 21st, 2009, 04:01 PM
I second (third? fourth?) the statement that your current color is very pretty, and it would be nice if you kept it, at least a touch of it. Maybe get highlights to accent it?

jojo
October 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
I have highlights, more at the front though as this is shaped (fringe). I hardly ever use heat and only use chemical free shampoos and conditioners (though I did try a pantene deep mask on sunday!) overal my hair feels as soft as it did prior to my highlights. I am only planning on having my roots re-done twice a year.

As the others have said use the 2 weeks rule though.

TokyoPink
October 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
I second the suggestion of trying honey/lemon treatments before going for chemical dye, I have medium brown/auburn hair and I've been using a home-made honey and lemon hairspray every day for the past two weeks and my hair has lightened and become more golden already. The only problem I've had is that it doesn't seem to have lightened my chemically dyed ends much :shrug: There hasn't been much dryness either.