PDA

View Full Version : Smt Q

blondecat
October 20th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Is it too much to do a SMT twice in 2 days ??

My hair has the *frizzies* A Huge Blonde Afro, with no control, no shape

I did one SMT yesterday [Honey/condish/VO5 hot oil/ tiny bit lemon juice] left it on for around 5-6 hrs.

Hair came out better, but, I would like to do another one today.

Is is a good idea, or should I wait. ??

jojo
October 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Ive done 2 in a row and suffered no side effects, as a rule I do 2 a month though.

blondecat
October 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM
OK, Thanks [Off to go Mix Hehe] [Im thinking of Olive oil/condish/honey]

Carolyn
October 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I can do it 2 days in a row but my hair eats conditioner and can't be over conditioned. I try to do it once a week normally.

Sissy
October 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I also try to do it once a week but it should be OK to do it 2 days in a row if you feel your hair needs it. I'd say if the first SMT improved your hair the second should continue to help it.

Sissy

blondecat
October 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I can do it 2 days in a row but my hair eats conditioner and can't be over conditioned. I try to do it once a week normally.

LOL, Yes, My hair 'Eats' condish too

I once put straight olive oil on it and within 1/2 an hr I couldn't see it. It didn't do much tho, I seem to need the honey to achieve anything.

It's Spring here in Oz and the weather is really mixed, from being really cold to yesterday that was 27 %celcius. I think that is why my hair is playing up.

Amara
October 20th, 2009, 09:32 PM
It certainly won't harm it - the worst you'd end up with is too greasy, which at least would solve your frizz problem!

blondecat
October 20th, 2009, 09:44 PM
It certainly won't harm it - the worst you'd end up with is too greasy, which at least would solve your frizz problem!

<Laughing> That it would. :)

Wouldn't an extra wash get rid of the greasy, or a bit of Cider Vinager ?

ChloeDharma
October 21st, 2009, 03:43 AM
I doubt it would be a bad thing at all, but maybe your hair needs something else. What about trying a yogurt treatment? Or something you've not tried before.....maybe heavier than an SMT?
If you feel your hair needs more moisture then you could try misting and putting your hair in a bun.....i find that good for increasing moisture and making hair dry more smoothly.

blondecat
October 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
I doubt it would be a bad thing at all, but maybe your hair needs something else. What about trying a yogurt treatment? Or something you've not tried before.....maybe heavier than an SMT?
If you feel your hair needs more moisture then you could try misting and putting your hair in a bun.....i find that good for increasing moisture and making hair dry more smoothly.

Im curious what is heavier than a SMT.

I did a Cassia mask a few weeks back, it helped for a little while. Do I need to do that again ?

I do mist my hair often, bun it and then put a scarf on, is that what you mean ? It helps a little.

girlcat36
October 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
Did you clarify before your SMT?

When my hair needs to be clarified, it becomes hopelessly frizzy.
It took me a long time to realize this.

blondecat
October 21st, 2009, 09:10 PM
No, I haven't.

How do you clarify ?

Rini
October 21st, 2009, 09:27 PM
Hi Blondecat :waving:

You can clarify just by buying a good clarifying shampoo (even one from Coles!). I have a Joico one which you can get at Price Attack, but it's a bit expesive.

I know what you mean about this changeable spring SA weather! My hair looks like wool right now. I've never found SMTs to be very successful, what works for me is drenching my hair in coconut oil the night before I wash and sleeping in it. Then, I wash and my hair is just so soft and lovely and forms perfect ringlets when dry :inlove:

Hope it gets better for you soon :D

blondecat
October 21st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hi Rini <<Waves back>>

Yeh, it's the weather alright.

Well the second SMT didn't do anything, so I'll try the clarifying [I'll try coles first, Thanks Rini :)]

blondecat
October 21st, 2009, 09:49 PM
One of these days I should post a new pic/avatar.

My hair doesn't really resemble that avater any more.

It's Much Much Longer Yahhhhhh LOL

Arms down, My hair just touches my wrists

[it's still very thin tho]

nature-head
October 21st, 2009, 10:20 PM
It couldn't hurt to do the Cassia again since it's been a few weeks. I try to do henna at least once a month, but when the weather is changing sometimes I'll do it every 2 weeks. It really helps!

girloctopus
October 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM
I say that you should go ahead and do the SMT :) It can only help. Maybe try applying it to dry hair and saturate it fully so you know that it has plenty to absorb? When I do the dry method, I swear that SMTs work so much better.

The cassia pack is a good idea too. I love doing cassia packs or cassia mixed 1:1 with conditioner.

clairenewcastle
October 21st, 2009, 11:27 PM
One of these days I should post a new pic/avatar.

My hair doesn't really resemble that avater any more.

It's Much Much Longer Yahhhhhh LOL

Arms down, My hair just touches my wrists

[it's still very thin tho]

From the avatar I can see you've amazing length so if you say it's got longer it must be looking fantastic! :)
It doesn't look thin in the photo.

blondecat
October 22nd, 2009, 03:35 AM
From the avatar I can see you've amazing length so if you say it's got longer it must be looking fantastic! :)
It doesn't look thin in the photo.

Awww shucks, Thank You :).

No, I lost the thickness after that pic was taken.

The stress of being a carer for my elderly parents, whom both had major surguries this year, Really took it toll.
I lost about half my hair at the time. It has been regrowing for about 5 months now. I just need to give it all time.

julliams
October 22nd, 2009, 05:45 AM
I have found that when I get too much conditioner in my hair it gets a little lank. It's not greasy but it kind of looks like it if you know what I mean. I have decided to SMT once a week - on sunday to be precise when I can just relax with my silly looking heatcap on my head and noone can tell me otherwise - lol

jel
October 22nd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Im curious what is heavier than a SMT.

A Caramel Treatment (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=454&highlight=caramel)! Very, very rich. I need to CWC it out with undiluted shampoo and loads of conditioner, but it is worth it afterwards.

blondecat
October 22nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
A Caramel Treatment (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=454&highlight=caramel)! Very, very rich. I need to CWC it out with undiluted shampoo and loads of conditioner, but it is worth it afterwards.

I just had a look and Wow, I think I'll give this a go next week. Thank You for posting this :)

hennared
October 22nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Hi there -

I get red frizzies, and this is what I did the other day.. took forever, but it REALLY worked:

1. Clarifying shampoo (I used Aubrey's Green Tea shampoo)

rinse, follow with
2. protein treatment:
I used 'henna and placenta' pack (yes I know; sounds icky, but my hair likes this stuff) or use another protein treatment of choice; I also added to this a small egg yolk and a bit of castor oil; leave in 2 hours,

rinse, follow with
3. SMT - I use molasses instead of honey, and no aloe vera - my hair frizzes from aloe vera, and I add pureed baby banana food, for extra moisture, with the conditioner;
leave in 2 hours,

rinse, and be done already!

blondecat
October 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hi there -

I get red frizzies, and this is what I did the other day.. took forever, but it REALLY worked:

1. Clarifying shampoo (I used Aubrey's Green Tea shampoo)

rinse, follow with
2. protein treatment:
I used 'henna and placenta' pack (yes I know; sounds icky, but my hair likes this stuff) or use another protein treatment of choice; I also added to this a small egg yolk and a bit of castor oil; leave in 2 hours,

rinse, follow with
3. SMT - I use molasses instead of honey, and no aloe vera - my hair frizzes from aloe vera, and I add pureed baby banana food, for extra moisture, with the conditioner;
leave in 2 hours,

rinse, and be done already!

I haven't found the clear Aloe that others have. So I don't use it either.

OK, All, I just did a mini SMT and it is behaiving now [Olive oil/honey/condics]

Rini
October 23rd, 2009, 02:39 AM
blondecat....Natural Instincts makes a clear natural Aloe Vera Gel in a little pump bottle. You can get it at the chemist :D

ChloeDharma
October 23rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
Sorry for the delay replying.....

Yes, i was thinking something like the caramel treatment, yogurt, egg yolks etc. Honey and aloe i see as quite light, both are great but i used to find i needed heavy heavy treatments when my hair played up. Very rich conditioners too.
You could also try adding glycerine to DT's and misters.