PDA

View Full Version : Hair that feels like it's being tugged, esp. in updos?

Kris Dove
October 20th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I've had this very strange feeling happening with my hair, especially when I've worn it up (wearing it up is something I've only recently (circa LHC joining!) started doing frequently btw!)

It feels like there's a few individual hairs being tugged at- as if they are about to be plucked out- ouch!- so I've tried taking out my buns and redoing them in case they're too tight or too loose, and yet it persists, so I'll give up and put my hair down (or tie it in a low pony if I'm at work) but the tugging feeling will go on for the rest of the day even after my hair is down.

It's put me off wearing updo's- yet some days I can put my hair my hair up all day and it's perfectly comfortable. It's weird!

Does this happen to anyone else? And do you have any tricks to avoid it happening when you put your hair up, or have you just given up on updo's?

TIA x

Shastrix
October 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
This happens to me when I plait my hair at night, though I just put it down to me not being very good at braiding and perhaps not brushing all of the hair smoothly enough before starting.

I often feel like I have a "Croydon facelift" when I have my hair in a ponytail as well, even if it isn't particularly tight. Again, I think this is probably due to me not yet being used to wearing my hair pulled back and away from my face.

halo_tightens
October 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I do know what you're talking about, but I don't know what one can do about it. It happens to me sometimes, too-- I'll pull my hair up or back in some way amd fasten it, and then it feels as though there are just a few individual strands here and there that are being pulled tighter than the rest for some reason. All I can do is undo my hair, brush it out, and start over. It's frustrating when you've just gotten your hair to look perfect and then something is pulling painfully! I've also tried poking a finger or stick in there to try and loosen the tight strands... that's not usually very successful. :D

Addy
October 20th, 2009, 05:41 PM
It happens to me all the time and always when I have a perfect updo/braid! *ugh* Get's me every time!

When I put my hair up, I will usually try to lessen the tension with my fingers by gently pulling at the area of tension and if that doesn't help, I'll just give up and redo it!

Zombiekins
October 20th, 2009, 06:20 PM
This happens to me constantly, no matter what the updo. There is always a little patch of hairs somewhere that are being pulled way too much. As my hair gets longer the pulling is more pronounced and even led to thinning in the front. Actually, it's started pulling again, especially in buns, and often even in the back where a hairstick goes in. The hair on top of my head feels weighed down by the heavy weight of the rest of my length. For me it's just too much weight at lower back, time to trim again.

Braiding my detangled hair carefully, then putting up in a bun secured with bent crochet needles seems to help distribute the weight better. Good luck on finding something that works for you. :)

viking_quest
October 20th, 2009, 06:44 PM
This has happened to me but I've found the only way I can make it go away is to either change my parting or wash my hair. It's been doing it today but that's because I made my ponytail way too tight (or else my bun would flop over).

little_acorn
October 20th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Yep, I have this problem too - I'm like Addy, I try and loosen the area that seems to be pulling and if that doesn't work I redo in a different style usually.

pepperminttea
October 20th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I feel your pain - even with the kindest up-dos, when I turn my head, the little nape hairs will tug and growl at me. I'm told hair taping is really good for distributing the weight evenly, though mine isn't really long enough to pull that off yet.

Syaoransbear
October 20th, 2009, 07:16 PM
It happens to me a lot and I hate it. Lately all I've been wearing is a braid because it's one of the only styles that doesn't pull when I make it.

Spring
October 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Happens to me too. I think I get more shed hairs when I don't redo the hair to make it more comfortable, so taking it down, to me, is the best way to avoid premature hair loss (even if it's just a few strands :p:D..

Aerith
October 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yes, this happens to me occasionally too. More often, it's my whole head that's sore though. I think it's due to just how thick my hair is. So, I actually can't wear it up at all. :( It's either down, in a low ponytail, or in a low braid.

jocosema
October 20th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Try either positioning your updo higher or lower. Or, what I do after I fix my hair I lift the bun slightly to release the tension on the front and then tap the top of my head and feel for any tight areas, then I gently tug or slide my finger under the hair to make that area a little looser. When I let go of the bun it's usually more comfortable.

Kris Dove
October 21st, 2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks for your replies!
Happens to me too. I think I get more shed hairs when I don't redo the hair to make it more comfortable, so taking it down, to me, is the best way to avoid premature hair loss (even if it's just a few strands :p:D..
Yep, I'm beginning to think this too, my hair is too thin to lose anymore strands!

ambychelle
October 21st, 2009, 09:48 AM
I get the "for the rest of the day" thing and it drives me bonkers. Even a low pony at the nape of my neck doesn't make it go away and I'll still have "phantom" pulling of hairs right at my crown. I'm constantly reaching up there to loosen those tight hairs only to discover there is not a single hair there that is pulled tightly at all. So weird.

Jezerellica
October 21st, 2009, 10:37 AM
Yes, this happens to me occasionally too. More often, it's my whole head that's sore though. I think it's due to just how thick my hair is. So, I actually can't wear it up at all. :( It's either down, in a low ponytail, or in a low braid.
:D

This is nice to know I am not the only one! I get headaches from having it up more than several hours! It actually hurts to take it down also. My hair is not super thick.

It is interesting someone said washing may change this situation, I will try this next. Loving my long hair should not have to include pain, right? :shrug:

Gumball
October 21st, 2009, 10:53 AM
This happens all the time for me. I just try to redo it until it doesn't hurt anymore. It doesn't put me off from styling my hair how I usually do because I know eventually I'll get it so it doesn't hurt. That's the irritating part. A whole bunch of hair in a section doesn't hurt nearly as much when pulled just a little bit compared to one or two hairs.

Most of the time my daily braided bun doesn't result in pulling one or two hairs, but other types of buns produce that effect sometimes (like the figure eight). My hair type sometimes helps one or two hairs grab on to others and go along for a longer ride than was planned for them, thus pulling.

eadwine
October 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
I refuse to take it out. I grab a knitting needle and pull the pulling hair back out of the updo. Works like a charm :)

Kris Dove
October 22nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
I get the "for the rest of the day" thing and it drives me bonkers. Even a low pony at the nape of my neck doesn't make it go away and I'll still have "phantom" pulling of hairs right at my crown. I'm constantly reaching up there to loosen those tight hairs only to discover there is not a single hair there that is pulled tightly at all. So weird.
That's exactly what it's like and you've explained it better than I did! :)

Babyfine
October 22nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Yes, I get this a lot. always thought I had a sensitive scalp.
when that happens I take my hair down and do a short scalp massage/and or comb it and try to re-arrange my hair until the feeling goes away- which sometimes doesn't happen until next wash.
Like you, I don 't want to encourage those hairs to fall out.
I take my updo's down frequently and sleep with my hair loose for this reason.

Spring
December 30th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I have always wanted to wear hair sticks, but can't seem to figure out how to wear them without a few hairs being pulled in order to stabilize the bun :confused:. Once I tried to ignore this, and the result was broken hairs in this area.

Does anyone have success with using hair sticks without pulling on hair strands? TIA

Anje
December 30th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hi Spring.

I sometimes get this, but for me there are a few tricks that make hairsticks a lot less likely to pull.

First, oddly enough, I find one hairstick to be FAR more comfortable than two. The second stick seems to wedge the updo into a strange position or pinches a few hairs between it and the first. I started really wearing sticks successfully when I left half the pair at home. (Parallel sticks, rather than crossed sticks, seems to cause less pulling for me as well. That might be a good option if you need 2 for hold.)

Secondly, try wearing the stick at a generally horizontal angle. Vertical sticks often seem to grab a few hairs at the scalp and pull. Horizontal sticks and those at low diagonals seem to distribute the weight much better.

Some buns work better than others, too. Look up the "Lazy wrap bun" and "nautilus bun" for some good starters. They seem to be particularly comfortable.

Spring
December 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks Anje :)!

RocketDog
December 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I have the opposite problem - unless my braid or updo is almost uncomfortably snug I feel like it's going to fall out. I have tried and tried to get used to loose braids/updos and I just can't do it - the feeling of the hair shifting about drives me to distraction!

StrongWall
January 3rd, 2010, 06:50 PM
Happens to me too, I hate that feeling!
I just give up and wear it down.