PDA

View Full Version : Shea butter overuse?

LadyGunn
October 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Kind of an odd question here, but can shea butter be overused?

I'm once again going to be in the Hell scene of my church's Judgement House production. The director wants my hair down & the temperature is generally around 110-125 degrees. Last year, it got up to 140 one night. I slathered the shea butter on to help protect it, but should I switch between the shea, coconut & the Africa's Best Herbal Oil? I know that too much coconut oil makes my hair crunchy & wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with shea butter doing the same.

My shea butter is a mixture of shea, Suave conditioner, coconut oil & (a lot of) orange essential oil. Any input is greatly appreciated. I just don't want my hair to look like h*ll once I'm done being in Hell. :p

Sceleste
October 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm a recovering shea butter addict. :)

I used to make a mixture with shea and a dab of some oil, and use it on my hair every night. I only used small amounts but eventually got build-up and hair became more tangly and clingy than usual. No crunchies whatsoever, quite the opposite, ends felt pretty soft even with build-up. My hair didn't look that different, the clingyness was tolerable, so for me it was more of a tangling issue. I was only washing with soapnuts and shampoo bars at the time, and had to use normal shampoo to get rid of the shea layer on my hair.

I think you'll be fine with small amounts of shea if you don't use it every day for weeks and weeks.

Amara
October 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I mix shea butter with a bit of coconut oil and use it for a week or two, then I go back to just coconut oil for a while. I find shea builds up and is hard to wash out if I use it constantly. But I would think you'd be fine doing it for the short term! Mist it before hand, whatever you do, so you're locking some moisture inside and getting a deep warm treatment in that heat.

And for goodness' sake, drink lots of water! :D

detritus
October 20th, 2009, 03:10 PM
OT, but why do they make it so hot? Temperatures like that are a health hazard.

Dars
October 20th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Yes, I'm wondering the same thing.

LadyGunn
October 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM

Sounds like it should be fine, I'll just make sure I clarify &/or shampoo if it starts building up. Thanks for the info, ladies. :)

The reason we keep it hot is that we are attempting to demonstrate what Hell will be like. The Bible says that there will be heat, so we run a heater between every group. The time it got really hot was when there was a long break between groups & we forgot to shut it off. The scene is only about 10-ish minutes long, so we're not in there long. We all go outside to cool off & let the stage makeup set up again. ;)

marikamt
October 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I didn't know shea butter could build up.... I use it as a "leave in" on my ends and canopy.... is that something I should/ need to clarify for?????