PDA

View Full Version : how to control dry and frizzy hair

redneckprincess
October 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
ok now that my hair has grown some and Ive stopped using cones, my hair seems to be extreamly dry...I do conditioning treatments about twice a month, is there something specific I should be using or doing diffrent. I know why its there, i just...want to control it

friskybiznus
October 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I've been doing a daily light oil on my hair (either coconut or jojoba, I like them both) and that seems to really help tame the frizzies and moisturize my hair.

HairColoredHair
October 20th, 2009, 12:02 PM
What conditioning treatments do you do? SMT? If you haven't tried it you ought to!

Perhaps do them once a week until your hair behaves?

Have you tried oiling (esp. overnight?)

Do you use any leave-ins? (Conditioners or sprays? You could try Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=kimberlily+spray)...)

redneckprincess
October 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I was doing daily light oiling but it seems to get too oily and act dirty..but the ends still feel rough (no matter how much oil i put or dont put on the ends)
.also yes I do the smt but without honey, and even then I rince it out and when it drys the ends just feels so dry and bristlly

I have not done a deep oil overnight in some time

HairColoredHair
October 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM
What conditioners are you using?

girloctopus
October 20th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Are you using protein? I know some people's hair freaks out at protein.

I would recommend an overnight SMT with the honey (unless you're not using the honey because of vegan/other reasons). SMTs always seem to fix up my ends, and I love what honey does for my hair. :)

But perhaps a microtrim may be in order to help get rid of the bristly ends if nothing else is seeming to work. I know it's hard to trim a bit and lose a little length, but if it makes you happier with its condition, it may be worth it. :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 20th, 2009, 12:21 PM
we have a similar hair type, I have found a mixture of aloe and oil to hold my frizz well (it works like a gel), I don't remember, are you growing out bleach damage? are you doing protein treatments? if not, might be time for one, and could be a sign you need a heavier conditioner. :flower:

ETA: Might also be time for a good S&D/micro trim

redneckprincess
October 20th, 2009, 12:31 PM
What conditioners are you using?

Suave or vo5 lately

Are you using protein? I know some people's hair freaks out at protein.

I would recommend an overnight SMT with the honey (unless you're not using the honey because of vegan/other reasons). SMTs always seem to fix up my ends, and I love what honey does for my hair. :)

But perhaps a microtrim may be in order to help get rid of the bristly ends if nothing else is seeming to work. I know it's hard to trim a bit and lose a little length, but if it makes you happier with its condition, it may be worth it. :)

ive done protein but not in a couple months, i dont think my hair likes it, but maybe I'll try again..
i dont use honey because im afraid it will change my hair color and just well i havent quite been convinced about it yet.

a micro trim would be nice...
#1 im 4 months away from going 1 year no cutting {besides bangs}
#2 I dont trust ANYONE with sissors near my hair after what happened last time

we have a similar hair type, I have found a mixture of aloe and oil to hold my frizz well (it works like a gel), I don't remember, are you growing out bleach damage? are you doing protein treatments? if not, might be time for one, and could be a sign you need a heavier conditioner. :flower:

ETA: Might also be time for a good S&D/micro trim
yes im growing out bleach and alot of other bad things...and if i didnt have all this nice undamaged shiny soft hair I wouldnt even realize how bad the ends are

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 20th, 2009, 12:37 PM
my hair doesn't like protein so i will do a treatment, follow up with heavy oil and bun, wash again the next day and im usually good.. you might try switching out your shampoo and VO5 & Suave are great for CO but I need heavier conditioners for after a wash. A trim might make all the difference though.

Roseate
October 20th, 2009, 12:46 PM
you might try switching out your shampoo and VO5 & Suave are great for CO but I need heavier conditioners for after a wash.

I second this! My hair loves moisture and those co's are not enough for me for after a wash.

A conefree drugstore one I like is Garnier fructis sleek&shine, but read the label; sometimes they change the formula and put a cone in there. The conefree version is great though.

Stick with your no-trimming year, but I bet in four months when you do trim, it will help a lot. Damaged ends are so annoying!

halo_tightens
October 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Honey has really made a huge difference in the moisture level of my own hair. When I do an SMT, I add way more honey than the original recipe calls for. When I'm just doing a simple wash, even then I use honey by mixing it about 50/50 with my conditioner. It really seems to do it, for whatever reason.

The other thing that helps me is oiling after every wash. I've started doing it while my hair is still fairly wet, and it seems to help "hold on" to moisture.

HTH... :)

SimplyViki
October 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Have you established for certain that your hair dislikes cones? Seems to me cones might help to "hide" the damage from the old dye and bleach and such. As long as you clarify and add moisture underneath the cone layer, it should be OK. That is, if your hair is OK with cones. If you already have figured out for sure your hair doesn't like them, disregard.

(Yep, that's my solution when I don't like my hair - throw cones at it, and it'll be happy).

Heidi_234
October 20th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Did you try to do a dry CO thing?

You take your regular cheapy coneless conditioner, and start applying it on your dry hair. You practically make it wet with conditioner, then you put it up for 1/2 an hour to an hour. You can leave it for longer, but not too long (I personally wary because I don't like the thought of conditioner drying in my hair, but I left it in for few hours too).

When the time's up, just get in the shower and start your normal wash. I do a partial CO, so all I do is rinse out the conditioner, and then apply thicker one after I'm out of the shower as a leave in. If you CWC or S&C, then you can just carry on with shampooing the scalp and then rinsing out both, I think.

I just did it today, and it made my awfully dry horrible ends really really soft. I hope you'll have the same success with it. :flower:

redneckprincess
October 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Have you established for certain that your hair dislikes cones? Seems to me cones might help to "hide" the damage from the old dye and bleach and such. As long as you clarify and add moisture underneath the cone layer, it should be OK. That is, if your hair is OK with cones. If you already have figured out for sure your hair doesn't like them, disregard.

(Yep, that's my solution when I don't like my hair - throw cones at it, and it'll be happy).
I did cones FOREVER...but realized I cant use cones unless I want to Shampoo daily

SimplyViki
October 20th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I did cones FOREVER...but realized I cant use cones unless I want to Shampoo daily
Really? Now I'm just curious, what happens? It gets all greasy or something, or what? I use cones up the wazoo, and I shampoo maybe 3 times a week.

babybabycat
October 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I got this from Cinnamon Hair's website:
L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture in the yellow tub w/ green lid available at Sally's Beauty Supply. This product is so thick and rich that it will make the shower floor slippery, so be careful when using it! I use it as a regular conditioner, a leave-in, deep conditioner (with heat cap for 30 minutes), and a spot detangler (on tangly nape hairs especially).

I use it when my ends get dry, tangly and crunchy and it does the trick for me!

jojo
October 20th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Yes try thr honey in a SMT works wonderfully.

Maybe you have hair that may actually prefer cones, I am on the no cones route at the moment though I did a pantene deep mask on sunday and the difference was unbelieveable (yes pantene but it was a one off experiment!). I am begining to think cones are my friend, as they offer slip, shine, frizz free hair and protection which my fine hair desperatelly needs.

I am going to continue on the non cones route for another month and see how it goes but its no big deal if I have to go back to cones.

Other suggestions are maybe a dusting of your ends, as others have mentioned.

Good luck x

yogachic
October 20th, 2009, 09:56 PM
The only thing that fixed my hair was getting all the damage cut off, and oiling with coconut mostly, some shea, and the occasional jojoba oil. I'm 5 months out and no splits yet. I'm very happy with that.

tja
October 20th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Have you tried aloe vera? It seems to keep my ends moist.

serious
October 21st, 2009, 12:36 AM
The only thing that helps my ends is cocoa butter! I simply mix melted cocoa butter with conditioner and apply this mixture on dry hair ( from the ears down ), let it sit for an hour and than wash my hair as usual. My ends are soft and well moisturized like never before!

redneckprincess
October 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM
Really? Now I'm just curious, what happens? It gets all greasy or something, or what? I use cones up the wazoo, and I shampoo maybe 3 times a week.

the damaged parts do well but after going no cone for a couple weeks I noticed with the {undamaged} virgin hair it it looks greasy and lifeless and just yucky within 12 hours from washing...

Have you tried aloe vera? It seems to keep my ends moist.

use it everyday with my oils...on my {old bleached, damaged} ends

missy60
October 21st, 2009, 07:17 AM
My ends were sort of drying out and I was complaining about it to a friend and she recommended Kenra Platinum detangling spray . It is amazing for my hair but it is a little on the expensive side. I have had this one bottle for a couple weeks now and it doesnt appear as if I have used any. This is the only conditioner I am using on my hair at the time. I wash my scalp with
a sulfate free shampoo then skirt about 10 sprays in my hair. I have so much more volume in my fine thin hair, but thats another thread.

Have you tried wetting the ends and applying alot of oil. You could do this over night or for a while before you wash.

Aloe works as a hum (ok I cant remember how to spell it) it draws moisture from the air, if there is no moisture in the air to draw it will draw the moisture from your hair resulting in drier hair. I had to stop using it on my hair when I had it bleached because it almost immediately dried my hair out.

You could also try some cones only on the ends to help save them until you get a trim. L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture is excellent, it doesnt seem to build up so you shouldnt have any problems following your normal routine. You could also use this as a pre wash treatment for the ends.

SimplyViki
October 21st, 2009, 08:32 AM
the damaged parts do well but after going no cone for a couple weeks I noticed with the {undamaged} virgin hair it it looks greasy and lifeless and just yucky within 12 hours from washing...

use it everyday with my oils...on my {old bleached, damaged} ends
Perhaps you could try a coney serum on just the damaged parts, applied as though you were doing a light oiling (just use one or two drops)? Just avoid the virgin hair so it doesn't get greasy, and rub the serum between your hands, then distribute it on your hair starting just below the end of the virgin hair.

spidermom
October 21st, 2009, 08:42 AM
Perhaps you could try a coney serum on just the damaged parts, applied as though you were doing a light oiling (just use one or two drops)? Just avoid the virgin hair so it doesn't get greasy, and rub the serum between your hands, then distribute it on your hair starting just below the end of the virgin hair.

I was going to suggest this as well. In fact, I think I'll try it myself. My ends aren't particularly damaged, but they've been dry and "grabby" lately. Every time I comb, it sounds like pulling Velcro apart. So thanks for starting this thread; I'm going to give a couple of these suggestions a go.

redneckprincess
October 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM
I was going to suggest this as well. In fact, I think I'll try it myself. My ends aren't particularly damaged, but they've been dry and "grabby" lately. Every time I comb, it sounds like pulling Velcro apart. So thanks for starting this thread; I'm going to give a couple of these suggestions a go.

I was actually thinking about trying that just using a cony conditioner on the ends (below my ears) well I washed this morning so i will try in a couple days...Thanks...I will let you know how it goes

Anje
October 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM
Have you tried leaving in a little conditioner? Sometimes that makes a bit of difference, and it can have more hold than oils. (Can make the hair sticky, though... YMMV)

Spidermom -- any chance you're having protein issues? My ends get grabby after using protein-containing products. It seems to be my first symptom of protein overload.

Curlsgirl
October 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
Sometimes my ends get like that when I am not using enough leave-in conditioner. Could it be a case of buildup and perhaps a clarifying is needed? If you try that also try braiding your hair and dipping the last few inches in water and then coconut oil, just as much as your ends will hold. Then take your fingers and gently squeeze out the coconut oil and leave it overnight. See how that makes your ends feel. This was a miracle treatment for mine and I still use it occasionally when I need it.

Thinthondiel
October 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM
Do you use sulfate shampoo? Before I went WO, my hair was always really dry and frizzy because of the SLS. I've had to use SLS shampoo a few times after going WO, and my hair always gets really dry when I do that.

Cat Lady
October 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM
Redneckprincess, would you consider trying a Cassia treatment on your hair? It could be just what you need to add a bit of condition and smoothness to your bleached ends.

The first 2 inches of my hair are smooth and soft and silky "virgin" growth and the rest of my hair, down to the ends is damaged, overprocessed bleached hair. There was a very big contrast in the texture of the two sections of hair, but since hennaing and cutting out sulphate shampoo (I use Sukin organics non-sulphate shampoo and non-coney conditioner) both sections feel very smooth. The virgin, hennaed growth feels so nice I can't stop touching it, and the rest is pretty nice now too.

Cassia has a similar effect to henna, from what I've heard. Maybe you can order a sample of Cassia and test it on a section of your hair or a hairball, to see if it will work for you?

I hope you find something that works for you :)

camirra555
October 21st, 2009, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure if it would work for you but for me the Aussie Three minute miracle lives up to it's name with my hair. I leave it one for longer than 3 minutes though, usually about 10 minutes. I do this after cowashing and it leaves my hair so soft

nature-head
October 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM
There have already been some great suggestions, but I'll put in my 2 cents too =) I have THE same problem with my hair as you. Oil doesn't help, neither do most treatments.

I second the Cassia idea. Also, the thing that has helped most has been for me to put my hair in a bun or braid while it is still wet. Leave it up for that day. The next day it should still be damp, but retyle it up again. Then, on the third day wear it down and it will be soft since all the moisture didn't evaporate.