PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever get into a "experimental" mode even if .......

lynlora
October 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM
what you are using now works well ? I am. Was using Garnier Triple Nutrition. Seen John Frieda Brilliant Brunette S&C in Walmart and on the spur of the moment decided to try it. Will use it up and see if it is any better than the Garnier. If not I still have some of the Garnier left to go back to.

mellie89
October 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'm pretty much in a constant state of experimentation. I like the Nature's Gate stuff that I've been using, but I keep buying new stuff to try anyway... just in case I stumble on my holy grail product.
I think I have 3 bottles of shampoo and 5 bottles of conditioner going unused at the moment. :p

florenonite
October 20th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Well, ever since I came to LHC I've been trying to do a couple of things. Firstly, I've been trying to cut down my washes as much as possible. Secondly, I've been trying to minimise the number of products I have on the go at a given time. Thirdly, I've been trying to make my routine as environmentally-friendly as possible. Hence, while conventional S&C every 2-3 days worked ok for me, I insisted on stretching that to a week, and then decided to try 'poo bars. However, once I find a reasonably environmentally-friendly, minimalist routine, and have decreased my washes somewhat, I'll probably stop experimenting and just enjoy my hair as it is.

Roseate
October 20th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Before LHC, I never bought the same products twice in a row. I was never totally happy with how they worked (Hello SLS, hello crusty scalp! Hello cones, goodbye waves!), but I always felt like I should use up the bottle anyway. Now I know more about ingredients, and I've found a routine that actually works, I stick with it more.

That doesn't mean I won't try new things, but I feel like I know what I'm getting into instead of just randomly grabbing a bottle and hoping it does something.

Carolyn
October 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Trying new products is a normal routine for me. Using something more than twice in a row would be an experiment. Those times I've experimented in that manner have been colossal failures.

RocketDog
October 20th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I like trying new things for my hair, mostly homemade concoctions but I do occasionally buy commercially prepared stuff too. I like the Giovanni vitamin spray stuff, bought that on a whim at Whole Foods a while back. I used to buy whatever products caught my eye, but not so much any more - most of them smell funny or irritate my scalp.

Delila
October 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I've done that, and find that the things I've learned are kind of subtle, but useful. For example, I've figured out that some products leave my hair kind of sticky, and more prone to tangling, so I avoid them. I wouldn't have noticed that if I hadn't gotten really experimental and kept a journal for several years.

spidermom
October 20th, 2009, 03:11 PM
In the past, yes, but I've experienced enough fails that I like having a stable routine. Unfortunately, when the season changes or some unidentifiable something that I can't put my finger on, suddenly my familiar routine doesn't work as well anymore and I'm forced to experiment a little, which I hate.

AJoifulNoise
October 20th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Sure, I do. I know what works and I know how to recover from what doesn't. So, experimenting is fun every now and then.

GlassEyes
October 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Yep, though I recently quit my job, so that's going to stop.

Luckily, constant experimentation has gotten my routine to a point where it's never been cheaper and yet still works for me. :D

Elphie
October 20th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I'm the total opposite. I cling to what works for me; I love routine! I think I've tried a total of three new products in a year?

viking_quest
October 20th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I hate experimenting. It costs too much money and I'd rather just stick with what works.

friskybiznus
October 20th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Oh, I love experimenting! My hair and I are having a blast with catnip, cassia, SMT.....