PDA

View Full Version : Have you noticed less hair loss when you CO Wash?

Goose
October 20th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I have been experimenting with CO washing and when I comb my hair there is sooo much less hair in the comb..

This past weekend I used regular SLS shampoo and noticed a huge amount of hair loss on the comb...

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it possible to be allergic to SLS?

Also, I have found for my hair the Suave Coconut works the best for the cleansing part, but I'm still looking for a great follow up conditioner....any rec's for me? I have thin, fine hair so nothing that will weigh it down.

Thanks everyone :)

Fethenwen
October 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
When I do CO I notice more slip when I brush and comb my hair, I guess that must be the reason hairs don't get stuck in my brush or comb. I think it also has to do with the fact that my and many others scalp feel better on CO which causes less shedding :)

Darscilla
October 20th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Definitely. Shampooing causes tons of tangles for me, which pull out a lot more strands when they have to be removed. With CO, the comb just glides through, leaving the hair still attached :)

Belisarius
October 20th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Yes, this is what i see too. But sometimes my scalp itches too much so i do a cwc, which leaves more than co but less than only shampoo.

ravenreed
October 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Yes, when I use SLS shampoo I end up with a clump of hair in the shower. It is disturbing now that I know it isn't a necessary thing. I recommend the fake Biolage Matrix conditioner from Sally's for the second one. I also use it as a leave in. As for itchy scalp, are you doing the ACV rinse? It helps my scalp so much.

lonestargal
October 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM
Yes, definitely!!! I would have huge wads of hair in the drain then more in my comb when I used shampoo daily. Thankfully I have thick hair or I may be bald lol!! I now CO with VO5 and my hair is sooooo much happier and MUCH less shedding. It takes several washes now to get the same amount of shedding that happened with SLS.

I don't have fine or thin hair so I don't really have any conditioner recs for you. I will say though that for me the Suave, all scents but especially coconut, weigh my hair down. That's why I switched to VO5. Then I use either Biolage Conditioning Balm for a no cone or for a good cone condish I use Loreal Nature Therapy from Sally's in the tub.

sweetstaste
October 21st, 2009, 08:16 AM
I see less hair now as opposed to washing with shampoo. I do a CO twice per week now and my hair is loving it! I have maybe 10 shed hairs.

sharpclaw
October 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM
:confused: Sorry for ignorance, but what are CO and SLS? I have seen CO said a few times around the forums and am not sure what it means, and this thread is the first time that I saw SLS. Thanks!

sharpclaw
October 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Never mind. I found the LHC Terms and Abbreviations (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10), which explained both of those. Very handy!

To respond on-topic, I do not think that I have ever CO washed my hair. I never thought about trying it, but might now that I have heard about it.

AJoifulNoise
October 21st, 2009, 02:55 PM
I have 50-75% less shedding with CO than with S/C.

girloctopus
October 21st, 2009, 04:37 PM
I shed way more with CO washing than with shampoo. My scalp seems to need the shampoo, otherwise it is an itchy flaky mess and I clog my drain. :shrug:

I'm odd, I guess. :)

Tabitha
October 21st, 2009, 04:43 PM
I shed more when I CO as well. My hair is thick so it takes a lot of manipulation to get full coverage of the scalp and all the length with CO (I CO on dry hair).

Laurel32
October 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM
My scalp hates CO! I notice a lot more hairs shedding when I CO.

Jezerellica
October 21st, 2009, 05:26 PM
Yes, when I use SLS shampoo I end up with a clump of hair in the shower. It is disturbing now that I know it isn't a necessary thing. I recommend the fake Biolage Matrix conditioner from Sally's for the second one. I also use it as a leave in. As for itchy scalp, are you doing the ACV rinse? It helps my scalp so much.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts!! = ) I hate the whole itchy scalp thing!

ericthegreat
October 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!! YES AND YES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always hated having to wash my hair in the conventional way, with both shampooing twice and then finally using the conditioner. The first shampoo alone not only sapped my hair of its natural moisture(I can literally feel shampoo stripping away my hair's natural moisture when I run my fingers thro it) but I would always have loads of hair coming out into my hands! My hair hates just about any kind of shampoo and anything with harsh detergents. This is why I LOVE COing. It not only saves me tons of time and money by only using the conditioner, it also leaves my hair moisturized, sleek and and shiny. I also shed much less hair now that I CO only.

I only use shampoo about once a month to clarify my hair. I use Frederic Fekkai's Glossing Olive Oil shampoo. This shampoo is very moisturizing and is one of the few that does not leave my hair feeling so dry. After I use this particular shampoo I immediately follow up with my CO conditioner once again!

JCFantasy23
October 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM
I shed way more with CO washing than with shampoo. My scalp seems to need the shampoo, otherwise it is an itchy flaky mess and I clog my drain. :shrug:

I'm odd, I guess. :)

Same here :/ I notice when I condition my scalp above the ears I start getting much more shedding that day. My hair looks and performs the best with a scalp shampoo wash but I condition everything else deeply. With flakes, I noticed flakes the week I co washed too and am thinking the conditioner on the scalp caused that as well (sigh)

Stephichan
October 22nd, 2009, 12:30 AM
I recently started to CO again, now that I'm working out more often and not wanting to do a full wash every day or even every other day. I've noticed that IN the shower, I shed less, but afterwards, when I'm detangling/parting my hair, it's the same as with an sls shampoo. Still, I suppose it's an improvement, since there's less in stage I.

Wicked Princess
October 22nd, 2009, 01:28 AM
I did CO for about three weeks and noticed no change in my shedding at all. I didn't end up liking it, so I'm back to using shampoo. We all have to do what agrees with our hair most. :)

dragonfrog
October 22nd, 2009, 02:52 AM
I haven't tried CO (my scalp hates conditioner), but I noticed much less shedding when I recently diluted my normal (sulphate-free) shampoo (about 1/10 ratio). I think the reduced shedding is due to less manipulation of my wet hair, since the diluted shampoo spread around with minimal effort on my part.

3azza
October 22nd, 2009, 04:02 AM
I shed more with CO and my scalp always feels waxy no matter how much Conditioner i spill on my scalp. My scalp only feels clean with sls shampoo.

dernhelm
October 22nd, 2009, 05:38 AM
Yes! I noticed a dramatic decrease in shedding when I first started cowashes. It's odd because I scrub my scalp better with conditioner than I ever did with poo. You think with more scalp manipulation I would lose more hair, but that's not the case with me.

PurpleRays
October 22nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
I have fine hair and have been CO for the whole month of October. I definitely have noticed less shedding. Thanks LHC for turning me on to CO - my hair is shiny and loving it. I'm not getting the " greasies " the next day as I normally do when I shampoo !

swirlytresses
October 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
I definitely shed less with co-washing. I was using soap/poo bars, DW, etc. and noticed less shedding than with an SLS shampoo. I shed even less with co-washing. I'm currently using DevaCurl No-Poo and love it! I can literally count the hairs that I shed when I wash my hair. When I used SLS shampoo I used to shed two palmfuls of hair everytime I washed! :)

rumi
November 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I WISH I shed less but I probably shed about the same. Never mind though my hair is thick it can take it :D