PDA

View Full Version : Growing out Layers Support

florenonite
October 20th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I thought we had a thread like this but couldn't find one, so I'm starting a new one. I got layers cut about a month and a half ago, and while I love the way they look down, I'm sick of the fact that my hair is effectively at APL for updos and braids, which means that there's hardly any I can do. I ought to be at waist in a couple months and then I'll maintain till my layers are at BSL or so. I should be able to do many of my favourite updos by then, and then I'll go on towards hip.

So who else is growing out layers? Where are they now and where are you growing them to?

Maddy25
October 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I am growing out layers at the moment and they drive me nuts! I find my hair looks puffier and more fizzy with the razor cutt layers I have. My longest layer is a bit past my collarbone at the moment and my shortest is my jaw (besides my fringe). I cant wait till I cant get them all the same length because they make my hair look thinner than it is .

amoulixes
October 20th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I, too, have razor cut layers in the front. You can bet every hair that's part of the layer is split, from my chin down the rest of the length. Looked cool when it was first done, now not so much :( I want everything to be even.

memee1978
i need to grow out my layers too.:)

rhubarbarin
My hair is all over the place after Curly Girl-style cutting (each curl cut individually, dry) and well as lots of breakage. I really want to get it to all-one-length and a subtle hemline.

I have a small cheekbone-length layer.. the front/sides of my hair are between shoulder and APL, with the right side shorter because it is much more damaged.. and my longest hair is just at BSL.

I am waiting til January for my next trim, and will only cut off the very end of my ponytail.

marikamt
October 20th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I thought we had a thread like this but couldn't find one, so I'm starting a new one. I got layers cut about a month and a half ago, and while I love the way they look down, I'm sick of the fact that my hair is effectively at APL for updos and braids, which means that there's hardly any I can do. I ought to be at waist in a couple months and then I'll maintain till my layers are at BSL or so. I should be able to do many of my favourite updos by then, and then I'll go on towards hip.

So who else is growing out layers? Where are they now and where are you growing them to?

Oh me, me me!!!!!!! I am exactly where you are....... and my goal is the same too... get to waist (about 4 inches) and maintain to grow out layers.........

florenonite
October 20th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I, too, have razor cut layers in the front. You can bet every hair that's part of the layer is split, from my chin down the rest of the length. Looked cool when it was first done, now not so much :( I want everything to be even.

Have you tried S&D (Search & Destroy)? It involves sitting in good lighting with a pair of sharp hair scissors and snipping off split ends individually. If you have a lot of splits you can do ten or fifteen minute sessions every day until your hair improves. This means that you're less likely to lose even more length on the shorter layers due to breakage, etc.

hanne jensen
October 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I'm growing out layers too. My shortest layer is around my face- those irritating "face framing" layers. Just about chin length. The next layer is about collar bone length. Then I have a layer 3 inches above my hemline, which is almost APL. All these layers make an updo almost impossible. Very irritating.

above_rubies
October 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM
My hair is thick so every hairdresser I've had has cut layers or used those 'thinning' scissors to get some of the bushiness out, I guess. I used to think they were doing me a favor. Now I think maybe they were doing themselves a favor. :) JK. I really hate my layers. I guess they do look good when my hair is down but I would love to be able to do some of these updos I've seen on here and so far every one I've tried has been a disaster except for the twist using the flexi8 that I just bought.

PonyGirl
October 20th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I'm growing out layers, too :( My shortest layer is at about jawline, then my length is... Uhhh... almost mid-back stretched. It looks horrendous. I can barely even stand to ever wear my hair down. I have to use like 10 bobby pins to keep a french braid in :\ Grrrr. I'm sorely tempted to go get it fixed, no matter how short they have to cut my length, but I'm waiting at least a little longer. I'm not growing my layers out completely (believe me, I need my layers :p). But I want them to be less dramatic, and a lot more flowing instead of a chop here, then a chop a little further down, and so on. I'm beginning to think no one knows how to cut hair anymore :(

Iron0Maiden
October 20th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Just like you Maddy25 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=23755), I have layers like yours. My shortest is at my chin, and the longest is to my collarbone. The rest of my hair is to my elbows. That part is VERY thin and has farytale ends. Idk weather to cut the long part shorter till they meet up or just ignore they layers. Any suggestions? :-/

beachwaves
October 20th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Growing out layers too!

I had an A line type cut with layers so the front is longer than the back :-(
Here is a picture:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ictureid=53195

sally_neuf
October 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM
me too!! My longest layer is past shoulder, the shortest.. collarbone or so.

And they are so heavily.. I don't know what the word is, butthey aren't like soft layers, they are al.. spiky? I don't know.. I oiled last night and they look so spiky, like they could kill somebody :( Maybe it's because of my straight hair that they are ready to kill someone?
I can't wait to make them even. but I refuse to trim until the shortest is at APL at least!!

Olivia23
October 20th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm trying to grow out layers also. I have thick wavy hair and hairstylists would always put layers in by using the razor cut or whatever it's called. Now I'm paying the price. I got so mad the other day trying to do a figure 8 bun because I got it made, but then after a few minutes pieces of my hair came loose and stuck out everywhere until it finally fell out, so I followed Faye's trimming instructions and cut off quite a few inches to try and even up my hair and it's still not enough!!!

The thing is like others have said my hair looks great with layers but only when it's down, but I have a very hard time with updos, and the split ends are harder to manage with layers. I cannot wait until it's all one length!

Stephichan
October 20th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I had some layers put into my hair this past spring because a blunt hemline looked too severe at the length that I had. I may get a slight trim when I go home for winter break to start getting rid of the layers (I should be BSL or really close by then). From there I'll just deal with what's left until I hit waist and I'll maintain it there to finally get rid of the layers.

Heidi_234
October 20th, 2009, 11:04 AM
*joining*
I have very old layers, that really mess up my hemline. I have 1" of my longest layer to get rid of (I'm still going back and forth on cutting this one inch in the end of December and getting it over with), and then I have 4.5" of layered tapered thinning ends, which I would like to be able one try to dust with Feye's self trim - so I'd want them one length basically.

And I already got rid of 4" over the last year. GAH!

wimitlee
October 20th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I have layers!! My length is APL but my shortest layer is almost but not quite at shoulder length. I love my layers but once I reach BSL, I will maintain my length and grow out my layers to try a different look:-)

ChrissieM
October 20th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I have some layering that I'm eventually going to get rid of. My longest hair is mid-back, about 3 inches from waist. The shortest layer besides fringe is upper BSL. My plan is to hit waist and then start trimming to even it all up.

Darian Moone
October 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I *had* layers all down the back and sides. They had become like velcro. Yuck. My hair had gotten back to waist but the layers (of course) do not grow evenly and just looked a mess. I finally cut to a short BSL (meaning hair just to the top of the bra strap) and got rid of the vast majority of the layers. I've tried the "growing it out then trimming until the layers are gone" and it doesn't work for me because I don't have the patience. Now my ends are thick and layer free. I'll probably always cut in a few face framing layers (strands really) to soften my look a bit, but that's all. No layers again - ever!

You might want to take a look at Emichee's hair. If I remember correctly, she had layers and was at around classic length and patiently trimmed them until her hemline thickened. Her hair is drop dead gorgeous so she's be a good example that it can be done if you are patient. Unfortunately, I'm not a very patient person when it comes to my hair.

redneckprincess
October 20th, 2009, 11:51 AM
i have awful layers, I am growing them out also

amoulixes
October 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Have you tried S&D (Search & Destroy)? It involves sitting in good lighting with a pair of sharp hair scissors and snipping off split ends individually. If you have a lot of splits you can do ten or fifteen minute sessions every day until your hair improves. This means that you're less likely to lose even more length on the shorter layers due to breakage, etc.

Yes, I sure have but I think I need a better pair of scissors. Sally's is on my list of places to visit soon :) Thanks for suggesting, I'm sure others will benefit!

jivete
October 20th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I have some layering that I'm eventually going to get rid of. My longest hair is mid-back, about 3 inches from waist. The shortest layer besides fringe is upper BSL. My plan is to hit waist and then start trimming to even it all up.

Me too. Except I may go ahead and try to maintain starting Dec 3rd instead of waiting to get to waist since my length is starting to look too thin.

Jennie80
October 20th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone. I´m growing out layers to. I hate it. It looks like I have bad hair or something. And the braid. U know. It doesn`t look that good. My goal is right now to grow to waist and then wait for the layers to come down to.

I think that when I have layer it is harder to brush. The layer get stock on eachother.
I think it`s good to have more people to talkt to with the same problem. So I will read here often. Have a nice day

Mutinous
October 20th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I really want to grow my layers out too, but I am going to wait to have virgin hair first! One good thing about layers, is that it doesn't take as long to grow most of the dye out!

wavywords
October 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM
On the same boat, but at a much earlier stage. I've been growing out a super-short pixie since April, and now the hair in back just touches my nape while the front goes just over my eyes (with many layers in between). The stylist did a side-part trim on me back in August (that was my last visit, and will be for a long time) to help give it a better shape as it grew out, but of course the downside is that one side of what used to be my bangs is longer than the other.

It doesn't look terrible (I got past the dreaded mullet stage without picking up the scissors, yay me! :D), but I'm dreading the months to come until I can put all this mess up. It's getting just long enough to be in the way, but not enough to do anything about it. But I'm determined to let it grow for at least a year without having a trim, so we'll see...

Mutinous
October 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
On the same boat, but at a much earlier stage. I've been growing out a super-short pixie since April, and now the hair in back just touches my nape while the front goes just over my eyes (with many layers in between). The stylist did a side-part trim on me back in August (that was my last visit, and will be for a long time) to help give it a better shape as it grew out, but of course the downside is that one side of what used to be my bangs is longer than the other.

It doesn't look terrible (I got past the dreaded mullet stage without picking up the scissors, yay me! :D), but I'm dreading the months to come until I can put all this mess up. It's getting just long enough to be in the way, but not enough to do anything about it. But I'm determined to let it grow for at least a year without having a trim, so we'll see...

You could always invest in some nice headbands, they pull all of the annowing hair out of the way, and you can get them in virtually any style know to man. It will grow out really quickly, so you won't have long to wait :)

Lamb
October 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I am growing out a short cut, and I guess I'll have a hard time with my layers during the trim-free year I started in September. I already have, as a matter of fact. :rolleyes:

wavywords
October 20th, 2009, 12:58 PM
You could always invest in some nice headbands, they pull all of the annowing hair out of the way, and you can get them in virtually any style know to man. It will grow out really quickly, so you won't have long to wait :)

I did buy some, in anticipation of this stage :). Right now, they just make the front of my hair stick straight out towards the back, but I think in a month or two it will be better.

vanity_acefake
October 20th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I'm growing out layers too. My shortest are jaw length and my longest are shoulder length. I hate my layers as the end of my pleats are all thin. The strange thing is my hairdresser knows i hate layers, she said she was shaping my hair the last time she was cutting it as it apparently was looking heavy and then put layers in! I'm going to focus my trims on the longer ends and let the layers catch up. Problem is that growing out layers takes so long. Sigh.

MAO
October 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Me!! I hate that the hairdressers always feel that they need to cut layers into my hair just because its fine. And they always cut it too short! The last lady who put layers in my hair put wayyyyyy too many. It starts at about the tops of my ears (including bangs) and down to the bottom of my neck. What really bothers me is that my hair has a certain way that it likes to part, so I have a big poof on the right side of my head, and flatter hair on the left side ( I has wurly hair!) and when I comb or brush my hair it frizzes/fluffs out and looks kinda retarded. And the bottom layer seems to grow faster than the others.

vanity_acefake
October 20th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I'm growing out layers too. My shortest are jaw length and my longest are shoulder length. I hate my layers as the end of my pleats are all thin. The strange thing is my hairdresser knows i hate layers, she said she was shaping my hair the last time she was cutting it as it apparently was looking heavy and then put layers in! I'm going to focus my trims on the longer ends and let the layers catch up. Problem is that growing out layers takes so long. Sigh.

tkmommy2108
October 20th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I am also growing out my layers, shortest being a smidge past jaw, longest being BSL...I want to get to wait and mainatain a U hemline

No excuses
October 20th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I remember the time when I was growing out layers - it was really frustrating, so I can say that I know what is irritating you! But I decided on rather radical step - I chopped off all of the layers, going from nearly BSL to barely shoulder... :p But felt relived when I did this, I hated my long thin 'rat tails' and thousands of hairs flowing around every time I decided to make some up -do.

Keep on growing and don't surrender to crazy hairdressers! :D

Dars
October 20th, 2009, 07:06 PM
My layers have not been touched for 11 months now. I want them grown out fully. The first few months were hard to break and I remember when I joined I was considering having a cut because it was at that awful stage!

Spring
October 20th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Growing out layers that are at apl and also broken hair a little higher up...

PhillyGirl1978@
October 20th, 2009, 07:41 PM
My hair is all over the place after Curly Girl-style cutting (each curl cut individually, dry) and well as lots of breakage. I really want to get it to all-one-length and a subtle hemline.

I have a small cheekbone-length layer.. the front/sides of my hair are between shoulder and APL, with the right side shorter because it is much more damaged.. and my longest hair is just at BSL.

I am waiting til January for my next trim, and will only cut off the very end of my ponytail.

I have had my hair cut according to the CurlyGirl way. Now I haven't had it cut for about a year.. Did you really find more breakage due to the CG cut than before? I have some velcro-ends that are driving me nuts, and I really want it even but I am afraid to go to a regular hair cut place to get it cut even cause it's so long now and I have read the horror stories about them taking too much off. I'm wondering if I should just do it straight across myself.

This isn't a total hijack, I too have layers to grow out...it seems to be taking forever and of course the shorter layers are the ones with the most splits! ARG!!

abbs1720
October 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I am growing out layers, the shortest one is about BSL, I was going to have the stylist put in face framing layers but keep the length of my hair but she said that she would have had to take off like 3 inches or more or it would not look right, I told her "no way" so she only did some shaping and only had to take off about an inch. I am hoping to have my first layer grown out to the small of my back by next summer(I do not plan on cutting it until it grows out 6-7 more inches)

jojo
October 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Just wanted to offer you all support with this quest and some kind of encouragement. I started off with heavily layered hair in 2005 and have never trimed them or anything and at long last they have now caught up with my length.

So my only advice is just dust the length when needed and ignore those layers, they will catch up. Mine have taken nearly 4 years but I got there. I started growing my fringe out in 2007 and this is my only 'layer' which I have shaped.

Keep positive, anything is achievable you will all get there.

pepperminttea
October 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I'm growing out old layers too! Goodness they're a pain for braiding - the last four inches or so fray terribly, which is a bit much to hide under a bun coil. But they are getting there though, should be gone in two trims (so another year or so). Slowly but surely! :)

metalgypsy85
October 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Another growing out layers. Starting from bangs to mid neck. It's a pain, but I think it should look pretty cool when it starts getting longer.

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM
You can add me to the group :) My hair is full of them, and I hate how thin they make the ends look! I plan to maintain at classic long enough to grow them out :)

juliaxena
October 20th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I hated mine so much I simply cut most of them off (to even out the ends and hemline). They did drive me crazy. Hair in layers is simly worse quality on me, so it was the best thing to do to prevent damage.

Feye
October 21st, 2009, 12:51 AM
I have always had layers, it feels like, never had the guts to grow them out because I was for some reason shy and wanted to hide behind them. Last year I decided to seriously grow them out, and since then they've just gotten longer and longer without any difficulties. The bangs are already beyond chin length and tucked behind my ears and I have no desire to cut back. The other face framing layers I have gradually thinned out for the past two years so they don't bother me much right now. Still, the whole process of going from many thick layers to fewer thin layers and finally one length, whew! What a journey! I hope to be at one length waist length in two years.

florenonite
October 21st, 2009, 01:37 AM
Does anyone else measure your layers? And if so, how? Because once I get to waist (3/4" away!) I'm going to maintain there until the layers catch up a bit, I'm going to switch from measuring my length to measuring my top layer. I can sort of measure it if I put the tape measure along the top of the head and then, at the back of my part, grab the top layer and the tape measure and move my hand down till I'm at the bottom of the layer. However, the layer's just a smidge too long to do this without moving my head, which I suspect skews the measurement.

PhillyGirl1978@
October 21st, 2009, 04:49 AM
Does anyone else measure your layers? And if so, how? Because once I get to waist (3/4" away!) I'm going to maintain there until the layers catch up a bit, I'm going to switch from measuring my length to measuring my top layer. I can sort of measure it if I put the tape measure along the top of the head and then, at the back of my part, grab the top layer and the tape measure and move my hand down till I'm at the bottom of the layer. However, the layer's just a smidge too long to do this without moving my head, which I suspect skews the measurement.

That sounds about right. I think that's how I do it when I measure my shorter layers. It's so much harder for me being a curly...not to mention having the CG cut cause I could think I got the shortest layer and find an even shorter one. These splits though are killing me. I am terrified that they will travel up, make my hair a mess before they get a chance to grow long enough for me to cut it all even. Not to mention having damage on the end of your layers makes it look like you have more damage than you do. I think what I will do this weekend is cut maybe an inch, maybe and inch and a half off the bottom longest layer, then cut maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch off the top layer. The splits feel awful and they also make tangles horrendous.

cleanbug
October 21st, 2009, 06:29 AM
My hair is thick so every hairdresser I've had has cut layers or used those 'thinning' scissors to get some of the bushiness out, I guess. I used to think they were doing me a favor. Now I think maybe they were doing themselves a favor. :) JK. .

I know what you mean....I have thick hair too & it seems every hairdresser wants to thin them with the skip tooth thinning shears or razor cut them to thin them. what gets me is if someone has thin hair (as my sister) they always want to cut her hair blunt to give her the illusion of thicker hair & because mines thick, they want to thin it! weird. anyway, i have layers in the bottom 2 inches of my hair & actually dont mind them. however, im not long enough for up dos yet so may despise them once my hair is longer & the shorter ones start to fall out of braids etc.

Rentlle
October 21st, 2009, 07:00 AM
i'm growing out too!!!!!!
mines begin at chin-lengt.. so.. that's another big part to waist... :lol:
I let my hair grow to waist and then i just keep cutting untill all my layers are gone.
then i have waist-lengt-non-layered-hair XD
woehoew.. long time to go.. :p

hmmm
October 21st, 2009, 07:50 AM
I'm growing out a pixie, so I have layers too...
The longest one is just where my neck ends, and the shortest are my bangs in front, which come over my eyes now and they're such a pain! It looks like crap now, but I guess it will get better as it gets longer and past all these awkward stages.

wavywords
October 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM
I'm growing out a pixie, so I have layers too...
The longest one is just where my neck ends, and the shortest are my bangs in front, which come over my eyes now and they're such a pain! It looks like crap now, but I guess it will get better as it gets longer and past all these awkward stages.

That's exactly what mine looks like now. We can do it!! :) :cheer:

Ravenmoon
October 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM
I've been growing my hair out from a bob so I feel your pain. The layers drive me nuts. I'm wanting to grow my hair out to hip length and get all the layers to that length so it's all even.

mellie89
October 21st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Count me in! My longest layer is a little past APL and then I have half grown-out bangs around chin and some nastiness in the front around shoulder length due to breakage and hairdresses insisting on "cutting in". (How is that supposed to help anything, anyway?) I'm planning on growing to BSL then maintaining until they're gone, around which time I will also have completely virgin hair!

It's so annoying though, because my bottom layer is perfectly healthy and the shorter ones are yucky.

juliaxena
October 21st, 2009, 10:54 PM
Reading your replys makes me glad I pretty much evened it out while I was still used to my hair being short. It would be awful to cut back from say APL. Now I have an inch to trim off tops but its only in a few places and you can't really see it. I feel for you all, hang on girls.

hmmm
October 22nd, 2009, 05:19 AM
That's exactly what mine looks like now. We can do it!! :) :cheer:

Yay, I thought I was the only one :cheese:

julliams
October 22nd, 2009, 05:34 AM
Try to enjoy them now. I have layers too but I figure that once I grow them all out, I'll be missing them and want to cut them back in. I too am trying to grow to waist and would normally not be able to wait. I figure I'm going to try to enjoy each new "length" and what I can do with it. Once I get to waist, I'll enjoy all those styles then. For now I'm stuck with bra strap length with layers so I just have to make the most of it.

wavywords
October 22nd, 2009, 06:49 AM
Try to enjoy them now. I have layers too but I figure that once I grow them all out, I'll be missing them and want to cut them back in. I too am trying to grow to waist and would normally not be able to wait. I figure I'm going to try to enjoy each new "length" and what I can do with it. Once I get to waist, I'll enjoy all those styles then. For now I'm stuck with bra strap length with layers so I just have to make the most of it.

I'm not sure whether I'll actually cut mine to even them out (I keep going back and forth on this), I may just keep them to give me more volume. My hair is fine enough that layers aren't a huge problem. My only gripe now is that it will be a long time before I can have an updo without half my hair tumbling out.

florenonite
October 22nd, 2009, 07:19 AM

I'm not sure whether I'll actually cut mine to even them out (I keep going back and forth on this), I may just keep them to give me more volume. My hair is fine enough that layers aren't a huge problem. My only gripe now is that it will be a long time before I can have an updo without half my hair tumbling out.

What I'm aiming for, ultimately, is hair that, when I hold it in a ponytail at the back of my head, has a more or less blunt hemline. Unless I've totally thought this out incorrectly, this should mean some light layering on the ends to give my hair shape, but will also mean that I won't have layer problems with updos because the updo will start with a ponytail which already has blunt ends.

jivete
October 22nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
It's so annoying though, because my bottom layer is perfectly healthy and the shorter ones are yucky.

Me too. My longest layer is the healthiest and the shorter layers are more damaged. It drives me crazy.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 22nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Layers bothered me so much that i cut my whole ponytail.

I regret doing that :( whatever you all would do, NEVER cut your hair down to jawline!!!

going gray
October 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Oh layers! My whole head is layers, it's going to take me probably 2 years just to get all one length blunt shoulder length hair which will be my first goal. For the immediate future I'm just letting it grow.

Great thread, thanks for starting it.

marikamt
October 22nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Count me in! My longest layer is a little past APL and then I have half grown-out bangs around chin and some nastiness in the front around shoulder length due to breakage and hairdresses insisting on "cutting in". (How is that supposed to help anything, anyway?) I'm planning on growing to BSL then maintaining until they're gone, around which time I will also have completely virgin hair!

I have the same issue... my shorter layers in the back/ front have some frizz at the ends (no splits that I am aware of)... how does that happen??????
Very frustrating when I am trying to grow them out!!!!

Bonkers57
October 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
I'm doing pretty much the same as you, juliaxena. My hair was only lightly layered, so it looks pretty blunt. It's a little longer in front than in the back. I'm also growing out color; I don't want to sacrifice my current length to get rid of the color, so I'll be snipping it off a little at a time.

The toughest part is growing out my bangs/fringe. They now reach just below my eyes and are driving me crazy. I don't want to pin them back too severely because I have such a high forehead. I'd keep my bangs/fringe if they didn't turn into stringy strands at the slightest hint of perspiration. When they're long enough to swoop to the sides, that'll be a happy day for me!

Reading your replys makes me glad I pretty much evened it out while I was still used to my hair being short. It would be awful to cut back from say APL. Now I have an inch to trim off tops but its only in a few places and you can't really see it. I feel for you all, hang on girls.

luluj
October 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
Layers and more layers and then even more layers!!! I am growing out a very short pixie and I have so many layers! My hair is wavy/curly so they do blend well, so far that is. I may have to trim the very back, longest layer to avoid the dreaded mullet!LOL!!

wavywords
October 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Layers and more layers and then even more layers!!! I am growing out a very short pixie and I have so many layers! My hair is wavy/curly so they do blend well, so far that is. I may have to trim the very back, longest layer to avoid the dreaded mullet!LOL!!

Looking at your picture, I see we have the same wavy kind of hair. I actually managed to get past that dreaded stage without cutting, and it went by faster than I thought it would.

Alexannee10
October 22nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
I'm almost done! I've done layers in 2006 I think ..

PhillyGirl1978@
October 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
I think there is roughly 5 inches of difference between my shortest layer and the longest one...but that is only as accurate as measuring one's own curly hair can be and we all know it's not very. I do think that that is an approximation but it is a pretty good start. I should be trimming about an inch this weekend, then maybe a 1/4 of an inch from the shorter layer to help with tangles.

julliams
October 23rd, 2009, 02:55 AM
Ok, I take back everything I said when I was trying to be so "positive" about my layers. I just took a picture from the back in a striped shirt and I really don't like the way my layers look today from the back. It took about 4 shots to get it to sit straight and not come out lopsided. I look at the photo and think how much nicer it would be if it was all the one length. But... I guess I'll keep them because the get rid of them I'd have to go to above shoulder and I really don't think I can deal with that right now.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2753/4036203927_470d0abb91_m.jpg They look a little better in this pic so it's not all bad but ...ugh http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2800/4036252675_c0f868bfc9_m.jpg

monkeyandgrapes
October 23rd, 2009, 03:47 AM
My hair is very short and has layers of varying lengths. I think I am just going to let my hair grow to about shoulder length, and then I am going to cut everything to match up with my shortest layer (though it will kill me to lose the length!).
At this point I am utilizing all my self control, trying not to trim my puffy, bozo-looking hair (headbands help immensely).

luluj
October 23rd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Looking at your picture, I see we have the same wavy kind of hair. I actually managed to get past that dreaded stage without cutting, and it went by faster than I thought it would.

How did you mange to avoid the "mullet?" I know for a while I was able to use my diffuser to scrunch up my bottom layer so that it would "blend" with the rest of my hair better. Now the back layer is a little too long to scrunch up anymore. :scissors:I really don't want to trim the back yet it may be inevitable.

Maddy25
October 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Today my layers are driving me nuts! When my hair was cut really short last summer the whole thing was done with a razor! I dont think any 2 hairs are the same length haha. I cant wait for blunt ends :love:

marikamt
October 23rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I have also noticed that layers go thru a lot of "icky stages" when you are growing them out... I literally hate my hair every other week, and I know it is because the layers are at a goofy spot.

wavywords
October 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
How did you mange to avoid the "mullet?" I know for a while I was able to use my diffuser to scrunch up my bottom layer so that it would "blend" with the rest of my hair better. Now the back layer is a little too long to scrunch up anymore. :scissors:I really don't want to trim the back yet it may be inevitable.

I made sure not to slick my hair back or down, but (as you said) to keep it as fluffy as possible on the sides. I don't use any dryers or diffusers, so I just used a little leave-in and scrunched. And tried to ignore the results :D.

dmarie16
June 23rd, 2011, 10:24 PM
I am growing out layers, too. I had the Victoria Beckham "Pob" last summer. The back of my neck needed to be shaved it was so short lol! And the rest was all razor cut. Now let me say I do NOT have the stick straight hair required to maintain this hair style so I heat styled my wavy/course hair into submission daily!! Then I also tortured it further by having my stylist add highlights and lowlights. This all added up to one big frizzy damaged mess. My bottom layer is now collar length but I have short broken frizzies from my crown to the length. Good news is I have discovered this forum and I am on the way to recovery. I am going to try the search and destroy method of trimming and trim the longest layer every month until I can get my hair back to healthy. No more flat irons; no more hair fryers, and I have started using henndigo for color and strength. It will be a long slow journery and very frustrating, but I am sure I will manage with all the advice I have found here.