PDA

View Full Version : will my hair ever be normal again?

natorade
October 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I have been growing out my mess of hair since August 13th and sometimes I feel like it will never be normal again. It is 3 different colors right now and I hate the length, it is way too short. The ends of my hair are like a orangish platinum, then I have about an inch on top that is orangish brown, then I have an inch of virgin hair that is dirty blonde. I have stopped using a flat iron so my hair is all wavey and flippy and has no shape to it. I take vitamins and drink tons of water and it just grows 1/2 an inch a month. I would trade 5 years of my life to have my normal looking hair back right now. I am super paranoid of stylists now, it was a stylisit that caused this mess I am dealing with. I was suppose to go to a stylist on Wednesday to try and fix my color but I just called and cancelled my appointment. I almost feel like I am going to the dentist when i think about going to a salon. Sometimes I feel like I should just shave all my hair off. It is just so frustrating.

little_acorn
October 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
:grouphug: it sounds like you're going through a rough patch but hang in there. Try wearing a scarf, alice band or bandana for a few weeks until your hair has gone past the awkward stage. or you could wear some funky little clippies to pin it up in all sorts of funky styles.

Hope you feel better about it soon :flower:

embee
October 19th, 2009, 04:15 PM
You have my sympathy. The nastiest mess I had when years ago when I had short hair and I got a perm. I looked like a poodle dog for about two weeks, and that was *bad*. Then the front parts went straight and the back was still kinky-curly. That was even worse than bad. I got some barrettes and hairbands and put the mess back and tried not to look at it. Eventually the kinky parts relaxed a bit and the whole thing grew a bit and was much better. Unfortunately it took months. :(

There are people here who have reached the totally disgusted stage and shaved. Check around on the main forum, you'll find some threads - I think maybe even some recent ones.

Good luck with whatever you choose. You'll get support here! :)

Kris Dove
October 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I'm sure it'll look better soon. You could perhaps use a blue or violet rinse to take the orangish hue out of your hair a bit and that might help you feel better about it in the meantime.

I've had a few hair disasters at the salon where I've came out with something completely different than what I asked for, so I totally see where you're coming from about feeling like going to the dentist! Having said that, I've also had really good experiences to balance that out where they have averted disaster and made my hair look good again. It sounds like a professional could fix your colour and it might be worth re-booking your appointment. I'm sure I saw a thread about how to get what you want at the hairdressers around here somewhere- I had a look but I can't find it so maybe another member could post it if it exists and I'm not just imagining it?

sally_neuf
October 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
If you don't like the way it is right now, try to do some challenges, for example my hair is in a really awkward stage, so I proposed myself to do a ponytail tucked in until december. That way my hair is growing and I don't have to see it while it is funny.

You could do the same, wearing scarf, bandana, propose yourself a challenge and stick to it, so one day you leave down and everyone will wonder "wow, when did that happen?" ;-)

jojo
October 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
((((hugs)))) aww hang in there, you are getting good growth.

Try and keep positive, this time next year you will be past shoulders!

Naters
October 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I know exactly how you feel! I was in the same position you were in last summer, and i can tell you that with patience it will get better i promise!!! I got addicted to my headbands and clips, and once it got long enough to tie up thats what iv been doing since then. So hang in there!!!:)

spidermom
October 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM
The last time I hated my hair, I bought a couple of cheap wigs so that I could cover it up and pretend I had nice hair. The other benefit is that the wig would get hot and itchy, then I'd be glad to take it off.

natorade
October 19th, 2009, 05:24 PM
If you don't like the way it is right now, try to do some challenges, for example my hair is in a really awkward stage, so I proposed myself to do a ponytail tucked in until december. That way my hair is growing and I don't have to see it while it is funny.

You could do the same, wearing scarf, bandana, propose yourself a challenge and stick to it, so one day you leave down and everyone will wonder "wow, when did that happen?" ;-)
If only i could get it in a ponytail I would wear it up and just forget about it. Hopefully in a couple of months I will be able to put in a pony.

Brat
October 19th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Please don't cut it because it's annoying at that length. If you do, you'll just be at that length again in a few months... I like the wig idea! I have a couple of them and they're awesome, doesn't matter what the hair underneath looks like!

heatherdazy
October 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM
The only advice I can give to mask the colors without actually fixing the color at your length is to part your hair with a zig-zagged line.