PDA

View Full Version : I may be about done...

ravenreed
October 19th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I am so close to tailbone. I was thinking of hitting that goal and then seeing about classic. However, tonight in the shower, for the first time, my hair was plastered to my lower back and I HATED it. BLECH! That might be the deal breaker, right there.

Plus, I haven't been having as much fun with my hair lately. It feels heavy and awkward, even though my buns are not huge. I am thinking I may stay where I am for a bit, let my ends thicken up, and think about things. If necessary, in a month or so, I may trim about 2 inches off. Who knows, maybe by then the wet hair stuck to my lower back won't freak me out so badly.

Carolyn
October 19th, 2009, 05:59 AM
You have a good plan. Take your time and think about it. Trim those 2" and regrow. See how you feel the second time around. I've found that new lengths sometimes take time to adjust to. You may love that wet hair on your lower back feeling in time.

nowxisxforever
October 19th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Perhaps you need to alter how you're washing your hair? Mine never sticks to my back, but I hate the feeling of conditioner on my back so I had to adapt how I washed it... I never really thought about it, just did it. I lean my head back and my torso forward so my hair falls straight down. It's not a LOT, just enough so that it falls down itself, maybe 1-2 inches from my backside.

Plus: You may just be going through a benign neglect phase. I go through benign neglect and baby stages every 2-4 months. Right now I'm in a benign neglect phase. I shampoo & condition every 2-3 days, air-dry, don't even bother with DTs or oiling. I put my hair up in my standard bun with my normal hairfork, or leave it down at work. :) Other times, I will go CRAZY with it, DTing and hennaing and oiling and babying and playing and measuring... :)

spidermom
October 19th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I've cut back several times because I wasn't ready for new length the first time.

penny1971
October 19th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Well done for getting this far!
Remember, it is your hair, for you to be proud of and comfortable with.

rapunzhell13
October 19th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I'm choosing to trim along my journey so that I have ample time to get used to new lengths, especially since anything beyond APL is new territory for me. I think you've got a good plan and I hope that it works out for you. Even if you choose to stay at this length, you'll soon have a lush, thick hemline to look forward to. :)

When I wash my hair, I flip it all forward first. My lower back hates me for it, but I like to see my hair as I'm washing it. Once I've applied conditioner, I coil and clip it on top of my head. Once I'm ready to rinse, I just flip it all forward again. If you're not washing, just skip straight to the coil and clip. Perhaps this could help? :flower:

BlackfootHair
October 19th, 2009, 07:11 AM
It's interesting to hear about the woahs of longer hair. I myself am growing to at least waist, possibly classic, and never think about what it will be like to have hair that long in the shower. I used to have hair down my back when I was younger, but don't remember it in the shower. I remember the whole back of my shirt getting soaked from my wet hair being down though! lol

LaurelSpring
October 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I recently had this happen to me and felt like it was strangling me. Unfortunately I got a cut and was very unhappy about doing it afterwards. Try washing in the sink for awhile or something different. I think Spidermom is right about getting use to a new length.

heidihug
October 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM
When I wash my hair, I flip it all forward first.
If your hair is not prone to tangles, this might work for you. But, take it from someone who used to wash her hair like this, then discovered that, after a certain length, the tangles from washing upside down were not worth the convenience.

Hope you are able to find a happy medium where you are comfortable and happy with your hair.

Tressie
October 19th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I don't like my hair getting caught on my body in the shower either! Mostly I worry about pulling it out or other damage.

What I usually do is keep it up until I'm ready to deal with it, and then I take it down and lean forward and let my hair fall in front of my face and lean back away from it. I'll wet it good, and do my routine and when done, gently squeeze out excess and grab my towl off the shower door and wrap it up.

Only rarely does it get plastered anywhere and this works quite well for me! Good luck with making the best decision for you! (o:

Arctic
October 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM
My hair is not long yet, but I have an idea anyway. You could wash it bending your head back, then bend your head to the side, hair hangs next to you (move it in front of the shoulder) apply condish, coil the hair, put on shower cap. When you rinse either bend your head to the side or back a little. I imagine this would work for longer hair (than almost BSL which mine was not long ago) too.

wendyg
October 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I've been noticing this recently, too, and it's a little annoying but I'm sure I'll get used to it, like anything else.

wg

JamieLeigh
October 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I'm sorry you're not liking it! :grouphug: It's ok though, not everything about the long-hair journey is wonderful and magical. Your ultimate goal is classic? There are pitfalls here too, as with just about every hair length. The key is to either try to look beyond the negative aspect and embrace the many positives, because in reality, EVERY length has pros and cons - from bald to floor-length. So if you don't think the good suggestions the others have already provided in this thread will work for you, or if you plain and simple don't like it and can't get used to it, then you might have to go on and cut. As long as you're happy with your hair, that's what's important! :flower:

longhairedfairy
October 19th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I always just use a scrunchie to tie my hair up in a (not too tight) bun after I'm finished rinsing it. Then it doesn't stick to me. Oh, I also have it tied up while I'm washing the rest of me so it doesn't get in the way until I'm ready to wash it.:)

RancheroTheBee
October 19th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Maybe you can trim a little, and then maintain for a bit before you start growing again. It has the double benefit of giving you a really nice hemline.

lorig713
October 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I think holding at TB or even trimming a bit is a good idea. It would give to time to decide how long you want to go.

Good luck!

ravenreed
October 20th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I think it was just the surprise of it... it never occurred to me that it would stick, like a wet shirt. I will probably get used to it. I figured out why I was so freaked out by it, though. I usually have my hair up with conditioner in it, but I was rinsing dye out, so it had to hang through the whole shower. Since I only do that about once a month, I hadn't had it down in that long. Funny how just a little growth can make such a huge difference.

I have a friend who has hair almost as long as mine, but she is about 5 inches shorter, so we will try to get so our heads are the same height and see who has the longest hair. It is kind of fun. So far, I am winning. =D However, if I trim, I might lose! So, I will hang on a little longer... I am really just wanting to see how long I can stand it.