PDA

View Full Version : Cornflowers for blueish tint on grey hair

Tomato
October 19th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I found a recepy to give grey/ white hair a blueish tint, resp. in case of grey hair that has truned yellow to make it white again.
Here recepy:
Take a handful of cornflowers. Pour boiling water (250mL) over them.
Let rest for 3 hours.
Variation: Add some lemonjuice.
Apply on clean hair and massage in.

The thing is, the dried cornflowers I bought are blue, the first colour after pouring the water over them was a nice and bright blue, verging on the violet. After half an hour the colour was completely gone and the hole stuff was just white, nearly transparent. :confused: I did not try it on my hair, then.
My question:
Is this okay to lose all the colour? Would it still have made my grey hair blue? At least a little bit?
Do know any other form of usage of cornflowers regarding colour?

Kind regards,

Tomato

ademtce
October 19th, 2009, 01:05 AM
it sounds like a natural "toner" but adding blue to yellow would give off a green cast.

as for your question, i can't be of much help there because i do not know.

Shermie Girl
October 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Maybe you could try it as a rinse while it is still blue? I would try it on hair balls before dumping it all over my head. If it really does brighten up silver, I could see it becoming very popular, around here. :D

Tomato
October 20th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Well, I just give it a try next weekend... and hope for the best.
Corn flowers are good for the scalp, so I do not need to be afraid of hurting me /doing damage to me.

:eyebrows:

Shermie Girl
October 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Well, I just give it a try next weekend... and hope for the best.
Corn flowers are good for the scalp, so I do not need to be afraid of hurting me /doing damage to me.

:eyebrows:

I like someone with a sense of adventure. :D

Good for the scalp, huh?

Tomato
October 21st, 2009, 04:05 AM
Yes, I found a lot of reference about the usage of cornflowers against dandruff, itchiness, etc.
It is also very often found in shampoos you can buy ready made in shops. I never noticed this before.

clairenewcastle
October 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM
Yes, I found a lot of reference about the usage of cornflowers against dandruff, itchiness, etc.
It is also very often found in shampoos you can buy ready made in shops. I never noticed this before.

Just thought I'd mention that Klorane make a shampoo with extract of cornflower.....Do try the infusion on a lock of shed hair first though.
Good luck and do post on this thread how you get on with it, I've tried many herbal infusions on my hair over the years and love to hear other people's results.

Tomato
October 27th, 2009, 01:41 AM
So, last weekend I tried the cornflower infuison on my hair.
My greys didn't turn blue, not a bit. :(
Nevertheless, the greys seemd more shinig, more silver. So this may be something for the renegreys in this forum to add some sparkle to their hair. I cannot comment on how strong this effect is, I do not have enough grey hair for that (at the moment)
The infusion felt very calming and relaxing on my scalp.
I will check some more information on the use of cornflowers and will report!

Sunny greetings from sunny Vienna,
Tomato

mellie
October 27th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Love to see some pics, if you have any!!

ktani
October 27th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Cornflower appears to be safe. There is a lack of information on it though, and caution is advised because of
that. http://www.healthline.com/natstandardcontent/cornflower

Tomato
October 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Hi Mellie,

I didn't take any pictures, the effect was very small, I don's think I could hae captured it with my camera.

Shermie Girl
October 27th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the update.

I may try this, see if I can further brighten my silvers and maybe calm and soothe my nutzo scalp. :D