PDA

View Full Version : scalp massaging-causes me to shed, normal?

pdy2kn6
October 19th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Is this normal? Do others find after they have given themselves a good scalp massage when they move the fingers through their hair or comb their hair they get more strands coming out? Is this a sign that I should stop scalp massaging? Or perhaps it is the old hairs making way for the new growth-which in that case, maybe it is a good thing that they are coming out? I usually try and give myself a quick head massage in the morning, then by the time I comb my hair I get lots of strands coming out. Hope you guys can help :)

Papillonnoir
October 19th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I get a little extra shedding from massaging my scalp. I haven't been worrying about it, since my theory is that so long as I'm reasonably gentle, the hairs I dislodge are on their way out anyways. It's even possible that the hairs are shed because the massage stimulates circulation and causes new hairs to begin growing, thus forcing the older, dormant hairs out. Either way, I probably wouldn't worry unless you are loosing a lot of hair, or you seem to be loosing circumferences.

ericthegreat
October 19th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Is this normal? Do others find after they have given themselves a good scalp massage when they move the fingers through their hair or comb their hair they get more strands coming out? Is this a sign that I should stop scalp massaging? Or perhaps it is the old hairs making way for the new growth-which in that case, maybe it is a good thing that they are coming out? I usually try and give myself a quick head massage in the morning, then by the time I comb my hair I get lots of strands coming out. Hope you guys can help :)

Are you massaging your scalp very vigorously? If so then perhaps you may be accidently pulling out some strands. I would maybe try to be more gentle with your massage technique.

As for me personally, when I CO rinse my hair every night I no longer even massage my scalp anymore. I don't even touch my scalp with my fingers too much anymore because when I did so I would always find some of my hairs coming loose. All I do now is hold the showerhead over my head and let the water pressure naturally cleanse my scalp without ever touching my head. When I apply conditioner, I only gently smooth it into my hair and scalp and then I gently comb it thro with my wide tooth to evenly distribute it. When I rinse it out I also do not touch my scalp and only let the showerhead rinse all of it out for me. I only check my scalp by gently running my hand over it to see if I have rinsed the conditioner out cleanly enough, and then I rinse it again if I find that I haven't rinsed it out cleanly enough so.

meowmeow
October 19th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I would say you're probably dislodging shed hairs so I would say it's normal.

brunette
October 19th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I'm sure you are fine but as others have said just be sure you aren't scrubbing your scalp vigorously. As with washing hair, all you need to be doing is gently pressing your scalp with your fingertips and moving the actual skin in circular movements (so your scalp is freely moving against the skull, and not your fingers rubbing against the scalp. That's the trick, move the scalp itself, but don't rub it!

It could be that you were simply removing naturally shed hairs, why not gently detangle before you begin, then hopefully next time there'll be fewer since you removed old ones already.

BeatlesFanGirl
October 19th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I've noticed the same, that I shed hairs when I scalp massage. That's why I quit doing it.

PrincessFurball
October 19th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Same here. If I massage, I shed even more than I usually do, which is a lot. So, the only 'massaging' I do is when I wash my hair. I shed enough already without encouraging more!

ChloeDharma
October 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
It's usual to experience increased shedding when you start massaging your scalp. For me this normaly lasts about a week if i am massaging daily, after that the shedding slows right down. If i only massage once a week or so then it always seems to increase shedding so in my case at least, it seems that consistancy is the key.

pdy2kn6
October 20th, 2009, 12:05 AM
[quote=ericthegreat;817330]Are you massaging your scalp very vigorously? If so then perhaps you may be accidently pulling out some strands. I would maybe try to be more gentle with your massage technique.

[quote]

Thanks guys, no i don't think I am massaging too vigorously, i just move my fingers throughout my hair moving them around in slow motion. (moving the scalp to the skull). I really hope its just the shed hairs making room for new growth...i'll have to keep an eye on my circumference