PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you reach your goal?

Isilme
October 18th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I have been thinking about this for a while. I'm almost at my goal with waves and right smack on the line when combed straight. So, what to do now? I'm not sure I want to keep growing, I may have to stop here and trim away some damage I have, also I've been thinking of adding facial layers and cutting my hemline into a v again, I kind of miss it. But what to do when I've done all that? Just sit there and pamper the hair and maintain? I feel like part of having long hair is the journey. What do you guys do when the big Goal is reached?

Elbereth
October 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Good question! I have been thinking about the same thing.

I think I will reach my goal by the end of the year. Then, my plan is to maintain for a year or two and hopefully to improve my horizontal volume. After that, I might try to grow to classic, but again, I might not.

I, too, find the idea that most of my "journeying" will be done, a bit odd. I have been growing my hair since 2001, and even though my planned period of maintaining has its purpose, it's not a journey in the same way that growing has been.

Maybe I'll find a life or something? :scared:

spidermom
October 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I'm definitely going to have some photographs done. I hope I can find a long-hair-loving photographer with a good eye. I've been waiting for a long time to have classic-length hair so I want to immortalize it. I'll probably maintain it at that length for awhile. I can't decide if I want to let it grow on to terminal or not. I'd kind of like to see how long that would be on me but (shhhhhh, I know it's blasphemy here) I don't really like the lengths beyond classic; it looks overwhelming to me, although it can be beautiful and I do appreciate the patience and care that goes into it. When I'm good and tired of it, I have no doubt that I will cut back to something shorter, but never shorter than APL ever again unless I become completely unable to care for my hair.

ericthegreat
October 18th, 2009, 12:34 PM
It all depends on your personal choice. For some members here they have a specific target goal length in mind and when they get to it they plan on maintain their hair at that length(with trimmings and S&D). For others they are having so much fun on their growing journey that they keep extending their maximum goal length......for example someone may only have thought they wanted to grow their hair to waist and then when they get to waist they so quickly adapted to all the new methods of taking care of it that now they figure " This isn't so hard I think can get to butt length!" and so on and so forth.

For me, I and planning on just letting my hair grow to its terminal length. Whenever I get there I will find out if I can adapt to it. I will however never cut it back any shorter than at least butt length.

jojo
October 18th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I want classic and no longer mainly because I too think it will be too much for me, not that I don't like longer lengths.

I will probably have 6 weekly trims to maintain a blunt hemline and I quite like SM idea of having a quality photo taken, something I can show the grandkids if ever in the future I deside to cut. Though I will never cut shorter than waist ever again!

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 18th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I want to get to at least classic length.. from there I will decide if I want to go any further.. I don't know if I will, but I plan to just maintain and care for my locks :)

friskybiznus
October 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Maybe I'll find a life or something? :scared:

LOL!!! That's a good one! :D

Eden Iris
October 18th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Well, for me personally, seeing my hair at goal length (waist) made me sad and determined to cut. I took about four inches off and will probably go more. Maybe I can start again with a blunt hemline and see how far I get. Maybe I'm a serial grower.

Whether to maintain or grow is for you to decide. Either way your hair will look fantastically gorgeous, and you don't have to make a lifetime commitment to one or the other.

enfys
October 18th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hmm. I think I'll get to classic, enjoy it for a while, then cut it, enjoy it for a while, then grow it again.

I find I like the idea of hair just above waist/below BSL with layers that I can wear down, but I'm trying to get rid of layers as I grow so I never got to enjoy that stage fully. I can see me getting to classic, doing all the Princess Leia styles I've missed, doing at least one fancy dress party as her, then cutting to that BSL+ point and staying there until the cycle begins again.

kirky
October 18th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that once I reach my goal, I'll extend it. I'm really enjoying growing my hair, as this is the longest it's been in my life, and I don't yet see that changing!

Great question Isilme!

Carolyn
October 18th, 2009, 01:00 PM
My original goal was waist. I reached it about 5 years ago and kept on growing. I went to tailbone twice and have trimmed back. My new goal is tailbone again but with a thicker, more blunt hemline. When I get there in a couple years, I hope to just relax and enjoy it. I'm determined to enjoy the trip from waist to tailbone more this time around. I don't ever want to have short hair but may grow and trim within the waist to tailbone realm again.

LittleOrca
October 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.greysquirrel.net/pics/shim.gif

When I reach goal, terminal length permitting, I will DANCE!

I will still work on trimming off the bad parts of my hair until it's all virgin and I will do my best to U-the ends or maybe blunt them about an inch above floor so it doesn't drag.... *Sigh* Is anyone one else feeling anxious and impatient talking about their goal length?

fragolina
October 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Well, once you reached your goal ... enjoy it! :cheese:

Afterwards, you could try new things, like changing colour a little bit or new hair styles. ;)
I mean, are we ever happy with our hair? Is there really such a thing as a "goal"? Of course we all have goals, but once we "reached" it ... are we satisfied for a long time? I doubt it.

Radulfr
October 18th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I would keep growing longer or at least grow it to even out and thicken the hemline.

And oh yeah, enjoy it! :D :cheese:

Calista
October 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM
My goal is very elusive - it keeps on creeping down the longer my hair gets! My first goal was waist. When I was about BSL, my goal changed to hip. At waist, my goal changed to tailbone and at tailbone, my goal changed to maybe classic. So I´m actually wondering if I will ever reach a goal at all. :shrug:

karli
October 18th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I just reached my goal of waist. I will remain here for a while to let some layers catch up, then I will continue to tailbone. I will probably stop there, as I suspect that my hair wont look so good after that. (It is splitprone)

I have never been past bsl before, because of frizz, splits and crunchy ends, so every inch from now I see as a bonus. As my hair has proven it can get longer, I won`t measure every month. I will simply enjoy!

Sissy
October 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I haven't reached my goal of classic yet but I often wonder about this too. I'm thinking I will first EVEN it out so I have a nice blunt hemline. Then when that's all maintained and looking good I might decide to grow for knee. If it ever got there I'd probably just maintain it at a blunt hemline or cut it back to classic if I decided I couldn't care for knee length. I'm still a long ways off from knee length though :o

mira-chan
October 18th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I've reached my goal of classic already. Since I didn't feel like cutting it and am lazy with trimming it's now grown to just past fingertip. I still don't feel like cutting it so it will grow unless it reaches terminal. I'm no longer worried about gaining length.

rhubarbarin
October 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I haven't even thought about it because I have SO FAR to go. Right now my healthy hair is not quite at shoulder length (about 2 years growth). I am going to try to gain length from now on, after cutting a lot off this past year. If I am conservative with trimming I should be at my goal of hip within 2 1/2 years or so.. but I will still have many inches of damage to trim off!

I can't tell yet if the journey it important to me, or if I will be content to maintain at one length once my hair feels long enough and is healthy.

Amara
October 18th, 2009, 02:06 PM
So far, when I have reached a goal, I have then made a longer goal. :) I have goals to last quite a while - even beyond length goals, I have virgin hair down to my shoulders or so and I'd like to grow out all the old henna.

Roseate
October 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Last time I hit my goal length I cut it back to chin; I was totally ready for a change and I had been gritting my teeth and toughing it out for the last couple inches. I may do that again, or LHC may encourage me to maintain/go longer this time.

I think even if I cut again I won't go quite so short; I love chin length but anything between that and shoulder is so ugly on me, the grow-out period really hurts.

going gray
October 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Oh that's easy for me to answer.....ENJOY IT!!!

JamieLeigh
October 18th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Good point about the journey being part of the fun. I guess when I get to terminal (which is my ultimate goal eventually), I'll either stay there and enjoy it, or cut back to a length I liked better, or do a major cut and start all over again so I can enjoy the journey again. :p I don't know!!! I guess I'll just have to see what happens when I get there.

Aeris
October 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM
For me, I never run out of goals. Once I hit my length and health goals, I know I'll need some major hairstyling help, since my style is blah now. Then once I master every intricate style ever created, I know it will take a lot to maintain - so maintaining will be my overall goal. Personally, I really need to work on my physical health so that my hair can be its best.

Coriander
October 18th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Once I reach goal (classic), I plan on maintaining with trims every few months, and then just enjoying the heck of out of a wonderful journey :)

RancheroTheBee
October 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I'm not even sure what my goal is. I don't think I've ever been past APL in my life, and so each new milestone is a completely alien concept to me. I can't even picture what it's going to be like at BSL. I think by the time I get to what I think I am genetically capable of (classic) I'll just walk around in a daze all the time, grasping at my hair and muttering to myself.

Yozhik
October 19th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Before I found LHC I was waffling between growing my hair out or cutting it short (at my BF's prodding). Now I want my hair to GROW! Since looking at some of the members' length, I've developed serious hair envy, and the longer I prowl around the site, the more I yearn for length. Seriously, I've even had wish-fulfillment dreams revolving around long hair. If only it were that quick and easy ;)

Naamah
October 19th, 2009, 12:31 AM
When I get my ultimate goal of knee length, I'll probably keep it there for a while and grow out all of my dye so I can have virgin knee length hair and a thicker hemline. After that I may either cut it a bit, or grow it longer. No shorter than waist length though. :)

Kris Dove
October 19th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Maintain and keep it healthy with regular mini trims! I think I'm going to do that at my mini goal of waist length first so all the old layers are even before growing it any longer.

Syaoransbear
October 19th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I'm so excited to reach my goal. Maintaining seems exciting to me, I mean I get to chop off a whole inch every two months and my ends will become so healthy!! I can't wait to start letting my heat-damage grow out and let my hemline thicken up since I have crazy layers near my shoulders. And if I stick to these vitamins, my hair will be in awesome condition.

Then I'm probably going to straighten the crap out of it and I'll be back here a few years later complaining about my damaged shoulder length hair.

Konstifik
October 19th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I think I would just relax for a time, and enjoy my goal. Don't rush to find any new goals, they'll most probably come to you after some time.
So, when you reach your goal length, enjoy it to the fullest! Pamper your hair, try new up-do's you haven't been able to do before, get your v-hemline... Enjoy the fruits of your journey.
When you get tired and bored of it, I think the new goal will appear as obvious. :)

Angela_Rose
October 19th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I've already hit and grown past a Major Goal for me. Classic was a big one and now I find myself with thigh-length hair that I'm hoping I can grow out to my knees. When I got to Classic, it seemed so short on me. I'd always had a fancy for knee-length but I never thought I could get there.
Knee-length is still about sixteen inches away, but I think when I get there I will simply maintain it. KL is 60" on my tall frame and I think that will be enough for me to handle! We'll see when I get there, though!

Brighe
October 19th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I´ll stay at classic length (my goal) and microtrimm until I have full ends.
Maybe I go further after that...

InTheCity
October 19th, 2009, 08:53 AM
You definitely get to baby your hair and try to improve condition or volume. Also, learn tons of new updos or buy/make different hair toys.
Playing around with the hem is a good idea too, since you're not looking to grow much longer, losing an inch for hem purposes would be an easy length to regain if you want to change the hem again.

Also if you get face framing layers, it'll be a completely new look. Then if you ever want them back to the rest of your hair, you'll have that journey while still having the long hair you wanted. :D

Sounds like fun to me!

LadyLongLocks
October 19th, 2009, 09:16 AM
:)I reached my goal of 56" in July 09.:) Now I will maintain it here with frequent trims.
It is a little sad not to have a "length goal" anymore, but the new goal is improving the ends.
Knee length is long enough for me.

florenonite
October 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I'm less than 5" away from my ultimate goal, so I should reach it within the next year. I'll probably maintain there for a while. I do have layers that I want to catch up a bit, and I'm torn between maintaining when I hit waist or when I hit hip, but either way when I get to hip I'll probably maintain for a while. At some point I suspect I'll either totally grow out the layers or, bored of having to trim the layers every month or two, will start cutting to waist and growing to hip every year.

I've spent so long growing out now, though, that I need to have some sort of hair goal, I think. Or maybe I'll get a life :p

Sissy
October 19th, 2009, 04:51 PM
For me, I never run out of goals. Once I hit my length and health goals, I know I'll need some major hairstyling help, since my style is blah now. Then once I master every intricate style ever created, I know it will take a lot to maintain - so maintaining will be my overall goal. Personally, I really need to work on my physical health so that my hair can be its best.

yes, that is a good point. I have zero knowledge of updos so learning them could be a good goal for me. I also really need to work on my physical health, which in turn will help my hair health. That is a very good way to look at things :)

CaraLynn
October 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Cut if off and start over?? I don't know...I hadn't thought about that before. What WILL I do without growing my hair as a hobby? But then I don't really have a set goal...so who knows?

Alexannee10
October 19th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Knee length is long enough for me

It will be good for me too .. But it will be in .. eum, 5 or 6 years if I don't trim my hair. Not really motivating lol.

melikai
October 19th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I keep extending my goal, but I've done a lot of trimming this year. Now, I'm determined to grow to hip/bottom of my back, and then maintain there, cutting off all the old dye. After that, I think I'll maintain there and enjoy! :D I think having it any longer would annoy me as I like to wear it down the majority of the time.

GoddesJourney
October 19th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Find other goals in life not related to hair. I love my hair, but it isn't the only thing. I can enjoy my hair while maintaining my general physical conditioning (stay in shape), work on my language skills (practice foreign languages or learn a new one), enjoy my relationship with my husband, find new ways to enjoy sex, have a kid or two... Kids are long term projects on their own. There are always things in life to enjoy and work on, hair is just one of them. I love to improve all aspects. I can even work on my social skills and my career. Who knew there were so many imperfection in my life?

Gothic Lolita
October 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I reached my goal of tailbone a month ago and then cut 1 inch, because I'm planning to maintain there for a while, let these damned layers catch up and then I'll decide if I go huntig for classic. I somehow think it wouldn't look nice on me as I'm only 5'0'' and this long straight hair makes me worn loose even smaller. Maybe mid-classic would be nice.
And when I get there I'll maybe trim every 3-4 month simply to have it done and enjoy it.

Nevermore
October 20th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Maintain for awhile to thicken the ends and then start growing again until it becomes impossible to manage (I think more than a foot or two past floor length it would be). One of my other goals is to eventually have totally white/gray hair and have some fun doing purple and other fun colored streaks in it. Imagine floor length hair with two inch wide purple streaks starting at the hairline and ending at hip (probably where my current bangs will be, when my length is about knee-floor). I think that would make for awesome braids and buns.

florenonite
October 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I'm less than 5" away from my ultimate goal, so I should reach it within the next year. I'll probably maintain there for a while. I do have layers that I want to catch up a bit, and I'm torn between maintaining when I hit waist or when I hit hip, but either way when I get to hip I'll probably maintain for a while. At some point I suspect I'll either totally grow out the layers or, bored of having to trim the layers every month or two, will start cutting to waist and growing to hip every year.

I've spent so long growing out now, though, that I need to have some sort of hair goal, I think. Or maybe I'll get a life :p

I've changed my mind. I think I'll maintain at waist. Assuming I get to waist by December, it should take me a further four to six months to get my layers to BSL. Then it will be another eight months to hip. This means that I'll get to hip sometime during my final year of university. Because I started growing the summer before uni, I think perhaps the hair growth journey is going to end up entwined in my mind with uni, so a few months after I reach my goal that chapter of my life will be over.

Of course, I have no intention of abandoning this forum just because my hair-growing part of my life is over. What else will I do when I'm procrastinating? :lol:

frodolaughs
October 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I think my goal has more to do with enjoying my hair than with getting it to a particular length. I want it longer than it is, and healthy. I enjoy learning new updos. I think that if I ever reach a length I don't want to pass on by I'll be perfectly happy to maintain the length and keep experimenting with all the rest of it. Growing is only one facet of the journey for me, impatient as I am with that part of things.

Lize
October 20th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Congratulations on reaching you goal! That is fantastic. :) My goal length is tailbone and many years away. But when I reach it I plan to maintain it there for ever. :) I couldn't handle hair longer than that because I have to wear it in a braid for martial arts.

vamq
October 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM
If I reach my goal, I set a new one. Most of my goals aren't that far away from where I start.
I think I'll keep my hair at tailbone or classic (depends on how fast it grows, and how it looks) for one year, or two years with a lot of trims to make sure I have a really thick hemline.
After that, I might set a goal for knee length. I just want to make sure I make a good start when I do that, thus with a thick hemline. I'm not afraid that I can't handle it. I haven't had any problems so far, and I think longer hair will only make my updo's look better. Just hope it won't get really much heavier, that could become a problem..hmm..

I'll see. It'll take me at least a year or 2 to reach my current goal, so I have enough time to think about it.

sherigayle
October 21st, 2009, 10:48 AM
Once I get to my final goal(whatever that may be;)) I will still be growing out my bangs. I can't wait to see all my grays grown out and shining. Once that is done, I'll just be keeping it happy.

elrowiel
October 21st, 2009, 01:03 PM
When I reach my goal, I will stay a while there and get rid of damage and layers. Perhaps I will grow my hair further, don't know at the moment.
But there are so many other projects (which have nothing to do with hairs) I want to start, so it won't get boring.

BeatlesFanGirl
October 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM
My first goal is waist, which I'm hoping to reach next May/June, the second is tail bone, but I think I'm gonna stay at waist for a while. I LOVE hair that's longer than tail bone, but I don't think I'd grow mine that long, TB is enough for me.

Jezerellica
October 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Looking forward to reaching my goal! Classic. But first things first and it is to officially be at waist once more. I'm hoping by knowing all the tricks of taking better care of my ends, it will encourage me to want to go longer.

Congratulations to you for meeting your goal! Goals can change too! Who knows, right?

Isilme
October 22nd, 2009, 03:34 PM
I went to the hairdresser today and got some subtle face framing layers and a v-ish hemline! :D And she blew it stick straight and I wore it down when in town:D
It feels awesome now and it was ages ago I was out in public with my hair down.

The Drood
October 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Firsts things first, go ecstatic that I finally reached my goal. A feet (pun, maybe?) that is not easy by my standards of patience.

After that... the journey of seeing how thick and can become. All the while enjoying the hell out of it all :)