PDA

View Full Version : Scalp wash only?

Amara
October 18th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I was searching around and I didn't find what I was looking for - can anybody point me to a place this question has already been asked?

Does anyone do SO (sebum only) on the length, but still do scalp washes - either CO or shampoo or whatever?

I notice my length is pretty happy with not being washed - just combed and oiled... but I really like scalp washes because I teach dance and exercise classes many hours a week and it feels so nice to wash the sweat off. :)

I've been washing my length every week or so (I do a scalp wash once a week, then a whole regular wash once a week) but it's so happy without it I think I could stretch that to once every two weeks or so...

longhairedfairy
October 18th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I don't do sebum only, but I do scalp wash every day (then condition all over) and oil the length with camellia oil.

Peter
October 18th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I tried this sometime last year but stopped for no apparent reason... I think I'll try again, starting now. :)

hanne jensen
October 18th, 2009, 11:46 AM
If you click on articles, then click on hair care, there's a very good article with pics on how to do a scalp only wash.

TheBlondeApple
October 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I think they are convenient. I only use them in-between full CO's, though, as my hair does like full COs.
Anja

daydreamer
October 20th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I do scalp-only, but I do use conditioner on the length. I only use shampoo on the length when it starts getting velcro-y and has buildup. My scalp likes to be clean!!

aisling
October 20th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I don't do sebum only, but I do scalp wash every day (then condition all over) and oil the length with camellia oil.

I do scalp-only, but I do use conditioner on the length. I only use shampoo on the length when it starts getting velcro-y and has buildup. My scalp likes to be clean!!

I think a few of the ones who've answered don't know what a scalp wash is. A scalp wash is wetting down only your scalp hair, protecting the length from getting wet and not doing anything at all to it, that is nothing which requires wetting it down.

Amara, from blogs I know there are a few members who go very, very long between full washes and only scalp wash. It seems to work for them.

MsBubbles
October 20th, 2009, 07:14 AM
If you click on articles, then click on hair care, there's a very good article with pics on how to do a scalp only wash.

Thanks for pointing that out! Amoretti did a great job explaining everything AND with the photos in that article. I will probably start trying scalp only washes soon, if my hair is long enough to not get the whole length wet anyway.

(Oh I just noticed I'm over 1,000 posts!)

Amara
October 20th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I think a few of the ones who've answered don't know what a scalp wash is. A scalp wash is wetting down only your scalp hair, protecting the length from getting wet and not doing anything at all to it, that is nothing which requires wetting it down.

Amara, from blogs I know there are a few members who go very, very long between full washes and only scalp wash. It seems to work for them.

Thanks aisling! *That's* what I was wondering. I'll search the blogs. :)

intothemist1999
November 1st, 2009, 08:46 AM
I rarely wash my length. I usually CO, but even when I use shampoo/bar I wash my scalp and just rinse it off...whatever might have got rinsed off the length is as "washed" as it gets.

The only time I do wash the length these days is if my hair has been loose or in a pony/braid and I've been around alot of people (like at that fair or mall - neither happens often, thankfully) or at work and people there seem like they're sick or coughing. I want to get rid of any germs that I can. :D

pinchbeck
November 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM
I was searching around and I didn't find what I was looking for - can anybody point me to a place this question has already been asked?

Does anyone do SO (sebum only) on the length, but still do scalp washes - either CO or shampoo or whatever?

I notice my length is pretty happy with not being washed - just combed and oiled... but I really like scalp washes because I teach dance and exercise classes many hours a week and it feels so nice to wash the sweat off. :)

I've been washing my length every week or so (I do a scalp wash once a week, then a whole regular wash once a week) but it's so happy without it I think I could stretch that to once every two weeks or so...

When I get enough length I will explore scalp washing. It is a great way to protect length.

My question is what is sebum only? Is it that method where a person takes a wash cloth in the shower to distribute the scalp's sebum to the hair's length? I did a search on it and nothing came up.

Kat
November 1st, 2009, 10:18 AM
I've tried doing scalp-wash only before and it was always such a pain. I can't think of any way to do it besides bend over the tub, for one, which is annoying. And then I can't figure out a way to keep from getting my length wet. Usually I braid it and tuck the braid into the back strap of my bra or something, but inevitably some of the water wicks six inches down the length anyway, plus trying to keep my braid tucked back, and...I just gave up, lol. Maybe someone else has found a better solution than I have.

I also found that if I only scalp-wash for a while, my length actually gets MORE dry...dunno if it's that it doesn't get conditioned like when it's washed, or what...

Irishred
November 30th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I am looking for more information on scalp washing. This is washing the scalp without getting the length wet. This is NOT COing or wetting the length with "run-off". I have read Amoretti's article and it is very good but I don't have a shower hose (or one in my kitchen sink) and I would prefer to do this while showering (I'm getting wet anyway) and not a separate time.

How do you scalp washers that wash in the shower keep your length dry?

Thank you.

aisling
November 30th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I do a loose braid at my nape and fold it into a small plastic bag, secure with an elastic (the bag around the base of the braid that is) and bend forward under the water stream when I wash my scalp. The plastic bag system seems to stay safe on my back. After washing I just use a Ficcare or a claw clip and clip the braid inside the bag up and continue my shower. This system works well for me, I really don't like flipping my hair over like Amoretti does and my hair doesn't get wet very far, about shoulder length or a little past mostly.

TheBlondeApple
November 30th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I make a ponytail and fold it into a little plastic bag, secure that with an elastic. I don't bend forward like Aisling does, just keep my head straight. My hair gets wet to about my shoulders, as well.
Anja

BlndeInDisguise
November 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I do scalp only washes 99% of the time. I have problems with the back of my head and the hair down to a little above my shoulders not getting rinsed out when I CO.

I usually braid my hair, and make some sort of bun to keep it out of the way, and wash, shave, etc, and then wash my hair last.

Teazel
November 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I do scalp washes (keeping the length dry) every 4th or 5th day, and only do a full wash once a month - or less! Eventually the length gets a bit straw-like and seems to appreciate a drink of conditioner.

I scalp-wash three different ways. If I alternate them each time I wash I can be sure no part of my head gets manky.

1. In the sink. I have a mixer tap. I put my hair in a single snug plait (though if I'm feeling particularly lazy I'll just twist it), tuck it into my bra strap (an advantage over the men there!), then bend over the sink. Wet my head, apply shampoo or whatever, wash, and rinse. Blot dry with towel, undo plait, comb. Done!

2. In the shower. Hair in plait. Tie knot in plait to take up some of the length. Put shower cap on, with plait tucked into it. At end of shower, slip shower cap to the side, with hair bagged, and wrap around top of plait. Hold tightly with left hand while applying shampoo and washing with right hand. Rinse under shower. Get out of shower, blot with towel, etc. Done.

3. In the shower. Hair in bun on top of head, held with pin or stick. Shower cap on. When ready, bag and wrap bun as before, lift bun off scalp, and shampoo, wash, rinse. Etc. Done!

All these methods are dead easy and quick. I prefer not to get my length wet because it's a bit of a hassle to dry and detangle.

Fiferstone
November 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'm not yet long enough for scalp-washing to be an option, but amoretti's article on how to do it is here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85

Brownie
December 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM
My hair was very tangled after I tried Amorettis method and the next time I did a scalp wash with a normal English braid, I was too stupid to hold the braid up and my length got wet :lol: Last time my scalp didn't get clean. Mhpf. I'll try it again if I feel like it, scalp washes are so convenient!