PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff Help, PLEASE!

tkmommy2108
October 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM
OK, so this is slightly embarrassing. I live in Upstate NY and we're currently changing seasons. Every change of season, I get awful dandruff. I've tried in the past to curb it by using Head & Shoulders type products, to the "t" of the instructions and it doesn't seem to fully work. The dandruff gets a bit better but never fully goes away until we hit summer again. Anyone have any good holistic ideas?? I hate putting those chemicals on my scalp especially if it doesn't work all that well anyway!

TIA!

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I've found anything with Tea Tree oil or Mint oils work well for me when I get a scalp problem :)

joyjoy
October 18th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Maybe it's dry, flaky skin? If it gets worse come Autumn, then better come Summer, it sounds like the moisture in the air could be the explanation. If so, a humidifier in your bedroom might help.

tkmommy2108
October 18th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I've found anything with Tea Tree oil or Mint oils work well for me when I get a scalp problem :)

I'm still pretty new here, do you have any specific products you use?

And I will run a humidifier in my bedroom once the weather dries out, It's been pretty rainy here lately :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 18th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I used the oil to my mint shampoo (http://www.ehow.com/how_2123470_treat-dandruff-tea-tree-oil.html) (I use the Queen Helen Mint Julep shampoo from Sally's for this) and add some oil during my shampoos. If my hair feels dry, I follow up with a good thick conditioner and add some coconut or EVO oil to my hair and pin up.

I don't have a seasonal problem but my scalp will rebel sometimes against things it doesn't like.. changes of shampoo, conditioner, styling products, and the like will sometimes cause a reaction.

tkmommy2108
October 18th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks, I wish there was something that would work immediately!! Wow, I'm the picture of patience, aren't I???

paperwhite
October 18th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I have one patch of skin near the left side of the nape of my neck that is constantly giving me problems, regardless of the season. I've found that dabbing coconut oil on the pad of my finger and gently massaging it into that one spot helps a lot. Maybe you could try a scalp massage with some coconut oil? Honestly, it's done wonders for that one spot (and that spot was bad enough--I can't imagine having to deal with a full head of it :( )

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 18th, 2009, 10:22 AM
:) It wasn't instant but the oils made it feel a whole lot better and got rid of the itch. :flower:

slz
October 18th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I second the tea tree oil : I find the 5 drops of it I add to my shampoo mix (soapnuts + egg yolks) does wonders for my scalp who used to be so flaky, "flaky" didn't even begin to describe it :o .

herbgurl82
October 18th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Try adding essential fatty acids to your diet as well. I find taking both a fish oil capsule, and a flax seed oil capsule daily help cut down on scalp flaking for me, especially in the winter. HTH!

Konstifik
October 19th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I find that using less shampoo and more oils (like the others have said) during the colder periods of the year, helps reducing dandruff and dry, flaky scalp. Moisturizing leave-ins are also a blessing. :)

Arctic
October 19th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I haven't read the other posts, sorry if I repeat things already said :o

First of all, is it dry dandruff or oily? They are two different beasts, the oily dandruff being the actual dandruff that is caused by fungus. If it's dry type, you might get help from moisturizing your scalp with something, like facial moisturizer or aloe vera gel.

I am familiar with the oily type, having suffered from it myself. Things that have helped me heal:

- strong vinegar rinse. Any type of vinegar is ok. It was before LHC and I had short hair then, but I have used even 100% vinegar :scared: I wouldn't use that strong anymore now that my hair is longer. Make as strong diluton as your skin can handle. You can apply it in your scalp 15 minutes before you wash, wash normally. It makes the dandruffy skin to peel off and it first looks like there is more dandruff, but after you brush your hair it all is gone! Continue milder vinegar rinses to keep it at bay. This method has been very good and reliable for me.
- shampoo with active ingredient piroctone olamine. This stuff helped me cure my perpetual dandruff and for the first time in my adult life I have been periods as long as year+ and counting dandruff-free!
- Letting the shampoo sit in your head a little, you can do a small scalp massage while the shampoo works.
- Rinse very very well what ever washing method you use. Rinse more than you think you'd need to.
- aloe vera gel or juice and essential oil of lavender and tea tree mixed together (I also use rosemary EO) and applied on scalp after wash, no rinsing. Calms skin and helps it stay healthy and moisturized.
- scalp scrubs. There is a recipe in the recipes section called brown sugar scalp scrub. I have take the idea from it, but substitute the conditioner to shampoo or aloe gel or even runny honey, and the sugar to sea salt (fine grain). And scrub the dandruff away, feels heavenly!

- When everything else failes, Nizoral has always worked.

Leneveu
October 19th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Thoroughly brushing the scalp with a boar bristle brush works for me - quick results, too :)

julliams
October 19th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Dip your fingertips in olive oil and massage your scalp. It works for me.

Juliette