PDA

View Full Version : Please help me stop the vicious split-reaction!

Miss Murphy
April 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM
I have one lock of hair, that grows out of my hairline, pretty much smack dab in the middle of my forehead. Said lock started developing spliss a couple of months ago, and has continually gotten shorter and shorter. I can barely tuck it behind my ear now, and have to clip it back with a barrette.

I don't know where the splits come from (and it's too late for that pondering now anyway), but how can I stop it? It's like a chain reaction, it just keeps getting shorter!
I have made it a routine applying Monistat to the patch of scalp it's growing out from, but what can I do to stop the spliss? Would S&D put an end to it?

Thanks for your help! :)

Siowiel
April 21st, 2008, 03:08 AM
Perhaps you're having the "split ends breed more split ends"-syndrome ;)

The split ends might be catching the other hairs, making tangles and therefore making split ends, which is also more probable as the whole strand seems to be in bad condition.

I'd say S&D would help, but also try to find the cause - otherwise, the hairs will split again and again. Maybe it is a new hairtoy, your sleep position or a cap/hat you've taken to wear regularly?

Miss Murphy
April 21st, 2008, 03:11 AM
Siowiel, I have absolutely no clue what it's from. If it was the hairs around the base of a pony tail or the like, I'd understand it - but this strand should be just fine...

lacereza
April 21st, 2008, 05:19 AM
I'd just pull it out if it's one strand!

Miss Murphy
April 21st, 2008, 05:21 AM
Oh, I'm sorry it was misleading. Not a strand of hair, but a bunch of hairs. What would you call that in English? My dictionairy gives me strand, skein, hank and streak, and none of those sound right.

eadwine
April 21st, 2008, 05:44 AM
A lock of hair? :)

Miss Murphy
April 21st, 2008, 05:50 AM
Ah, thank you Eadwine :-)

I probably didn't think of that, as the German word Locke means curl, which I don't have.

Anlbe
April 21st, 2008, 05:59 AM
Barrettes make my hair split, and the locks of hair at the front split more than any other section of hair, I think because I fiddle with it more.

My suggestions would be to
1. Snip out all the split end in this section (for me splits travel upwards if I don't get them)
2. Keep it back with a comb or do plaits from the front of you head which incorporate this section in. (Smaller ones look quite LOTR), or use a naturally based pomade to keep it back.

Sorry I don't have anything more helpful to say, but that's what I'd do. Good luck.

Anje
April 21st, 2008, 07:14 AM
I'd S&D it well, and maybe apply a bit of extra conditioner or oil to the ends of the strand during the day. Make sure your barrettes are friendly to it, too!

Eireann
April 21st, 2008, 07:20 AM
Do you wear glasses? I used to get my hair caught in my glasses all the time before I started wearing contact lenses.