PDA

View Full Version : French twist for very long hair ?

slz
October 17th, 2009, 06:29 PM
You'll all agree with me that not all bun styles are suitable for very long hair - too huge, too heavy to be secured, or whatnot.
Well, I always loved the look of a french twist but have never tried it when my hair was of "reasonable" length (don't remember when this was, ha ha). So I've decided to try it tomorrow, even with my knee-length hair : it will be something huge, most probably difficult to balance and secure, all in all I'm almost sure I'll spend a lot of time trying for something that's impossible to achieve :D . I said "almost" .... maybe it's doable ? Has anybody here with very long hair already tried it ? I'd love the huge twist look, please somebody tell me they managed to do it, and get it to hold in place for, say, a few hours !!

Beatnik Guy
October 17th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Well, there's Lady Godiva's Log Roll (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=14) (also seen on Denise and others)?

maegquare
October 17th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Here's CinnamonHair's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNHoS5erfw) showing how she does her french twist with different kinds of hair toys.

slz
October 18th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Great !! Thank you both, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll try it this afternoon, maybe with pics if the result is anything showable.

slz
October 18th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hem, OK, at least I can say I tried - and I'll try again later cause I'm quite frustrated, it looked so easy but I'm just going nowhere right now :shake: .
I think I'll have chocolate instead :chocolate: .

maegquare
October 18th, 2009, 11:29 AM
You're not alone. I've been practicing and can't do it either, and mine is only a little past classic. I thought anything past waist length was too long for french twists until I watched the videos, but I can't make it look right. Chocolate sounds like a good idea, though. Here, have some more; I'll share. :) :chocolate:

JamieLeigh
October 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I've tried the instructions from CinnamonHair's video, and it works pretty well for me! Until she posted that link, the French twist was a style I had been lamenting not being able to do with longer hair. :)

twolunarspring
October 19th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I've tried the instructions from CinnamonHair's video, and it works pretty well for me! Until she posted that link, the French twist was a style I had been lamenting not being able to do with longer hair. :)

...ditto! :)

LadyLongLocks
October 19th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I have trouble with a french twist too. I have tried many times and always have a big amount of hair at the bottom,top or both that I cant tuck under.
Securing it is another issue!
I guess with knee length, a french twist just looks a bit different.
I will keep trying. I need to try Cinnamons technique.

eresh
October 19th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I still fail at making a neat french twist.
I practised and documented it in my blog :D
At one point, not even 3 ficcares held it together :rolleyes:

I really love the logroll, it looks just as elegant as a french twist.

akka naeda
October 19th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I can't do a French twist either and it's not for lack of trying, I'd love to be able to.

paperwhite
October 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM
My hair's not very long yet, just a couple inches past BSL, but it's apparently too long to do a proper French twist. I've gotten it up and looking decent a couple times using two separate combs (since I haven't found a FT comb anywhere but online yet), it's still pretty hit or miss, though. I'm definitely going to try Lady Godiva's Log Roll--may hair is still waaay too short to try CinnamonHair's method! Someday, someday... ;)

Haha, I just remembered my mom trying to put it up for me in a FT about a month ago! What a disaster :laugh: She was saying how my aunt (who has hair even finer than mine) used to do it all the time only using two or three hair pins, and I knew we were going to have a problem right then!

Renbirde
October 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I think Hypnotica came up with a few variations that work in long hair... I shall quest for the link!

In the meantime, I remember one of them involved pulling the hair back to the nape, doubling it up, and rolling as to make a normal French twist. You end up with an extra loop of hair at the top. Fold the loop down over the twist and use a stick to fasten it, shawl-pin-style. (Over the loop, under the twist, over the other side of the loop)

Jim
October 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Gosh. What a great problem to have! :) Hair too long and thick to put in a french twist. not to mention gorgeous!

Tressie
October 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I am going to have to try out that link, because I can't put my classic length into a french twist either...................maybe I could do the log roll? Thanks for this thread and the great suggestions!!