PDA

View Full Version : Bubble head - does it work?

pinchbeck
October 17th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Does using the suds/bubble technique technique (I think this idea derived from Mexico) provide thorough cleansing? I read that a mixture of shampoo and water is vigorously shaken to produce bubbles/suds. The suds are the only part of the solution that is applied to the scalp. Does this work or is somebody here going to burst my bubble?

I think this method is less damaging on the hair as it saponifies and doesn't leave the hair in a tangled mess.

justme
October 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I usually dilute my shampoo in a bottle with some water and shake. Sometimes there are only bubbles and sometimes there is some watery shampoo left. Both work well to get my scalp and hair clean and both are easier for me to work with because I get better coverage using less product than if I used the shampoo straight. I have to shampoo twice whether or not I dilute, too.

Talma
October 18th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Hmmm....I've never heard of this method but I'd like to give it a try. I don't know if it will work on my hair or not as my scalp gets pretty oily in between washings. So I usually have to shampoo twice. I'd love to kick the shampoo habbit though or atleast not use so much. I'll let you know if it works for me.

enfys
October 18th, 2009, 11:33 AM
That's how I always try and shampoo my hair, and it works very very well. I never get a dandruff looking residue, never get stringy, greasy hair. My empty bottle accidentally went in the recycling and now I'm using shampoo like a normal person I'm using a lot more for not such good results, and getting a lather means a lot more rubbing of wet hair.

amaiaisabella
October 18th, 2009, 12:09 PM
[...]or is somebody here going to burst my bubble?

Hee! :D

Also, yeah, the thread! Um, I mix up that too and it's always been more gentle than straight shampoo.

spidermom
October 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I dilute my shampoo in water and shake well, but I use all the liquid, not merely the bubbles. My hair is in good condition with this method. The ends are always protected with either conditioner or oil, so I don't worry about stripping them.

RancheroTheBee
October 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM
That's pretty much how I shampoo my hair. I take a little shampoo, wet my hand, and lather it into my hands, possibly adding more water. I do this because I use less shampoo and it's easier to get through my hair this way.

Roseate
October 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Yep, this is what I do, but I do use both the watery liquid and the bubbles. It gets all over my scalp easier, gets it clean with much less shampoo.

I also find that since I use so little shampoo with this method, it matters less what kind I buy. They all seem to work about the same when diluted to this degree. I just pick the cheapest sulfate-free version on offer. Also the bottle lasts forever.

ETA: Mexico?

Jemoiselle
October 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
That sounds like it would work just fine. I use a spray bottle filled with extremely diluted shampoo water. I just spray it on and then don't have to worry about the dilute running through my fingers before I get it all to my scalp! The stream setting on the bottle jets the diluted shampoo water straight to my scalp in the back under all the hair, instead of me having to hope I got it all. Works like a charm!

pinchbeck
October 23rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Yep, this is what I do, but I do use both the watery liquid and the bubbles. It gets all over my scalp easier, gets it clean with much less shampoo.

I also find that since I use so little shampoo with this method, it matters less what kind I buy. They all seem to work about the same when diluted to this degree. I just pick the cheapest sulfate-free version on offer. Also the bottle lasts forever.

ETA: Mexico?

My apologies. I made a mistake when writing this post. This technique is not the Mexican technique. When I read too much information gets into a tangled mess in my head.

The Mexican method is a no-poo method. A wash cloth is used in the shower to distribute sebum. Apparently the head or scalp is wiped 100 times to achieve this. Afterall, sebum is the best oil!

I will stick to my bubble-head method, however, and am glad to see there are lots of bubble-heads here.:D

pinchbeck
October 23rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
That sounds like it would work just fine. I use a spray bottle filled with extremely diluted shampoo water. I just spray it on and then don't have to worry about the dilute running through my fingers before I get it all to my scalp! The stream setting on the bottle jets the diluted shampoo water straight to my scalp in the back under all the hair, instead of me having to hope I got it all. Works like a charm!

Isn't it cool how people come up with the most interesting and resourceful ideas like yourself? It is hard battling with inconsistent amounts of a diluted shampoo solution in the cup of my hands with inconsistent amounts being slopped on my head!

Thanks for this tip.:pumpkin:

VeronicaS
October 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Usually when I shampoo, I put the product into my hands and lather it up before using. I get less tangles this way.

Papillonnoir
October 23rd, 2009, 02:12 PM
I just wanted to mention that I've been playing with this too. However, I've been putting the diluted shampoo into one of those bottles for foaming handsoap, so the pump itself foams the shampoo, and it dispenses only foam. I think it's fun :)

pinchbeck
November 9th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I just wanted to mention that I've been playing with this too. However, I've been putting the diluted shampoo into one of those bottles for foaming handsoap, so the pump itself foams the shampoo, and it dispenses only foam. I think it's fun :)
Do the suds you get effectively cleanse your scalp? How often does your scalp need to be cleansed using this method?

Tressie
November 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks for posting this! Sounds like something I'd like to try. Lately I have slipped back to using straight poo and it's harder to distribute and I'm using more. My scalp has been itchy too!

Paliele
November 9th, 2009, 08:29 PM
This sounds like a good idea for me to try. I recently switched from commercial shampoo to a castile-soap-based shampoo, and have been disappointed with the results. But I think one of my problems is getting it distributed evenly. But this sounds like it would work much better!