PDA

View Full Version : Why would my hair get Straighter?

BevBootal
October 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Recently (the past 1 month) my hair has become a lot straighter. It has been happening my whole life but lately it has been extremely noticable. When I was very young (around 5) I had hair like Annie, then around a year and a half ago my hair started going into loose curls, so I stoped straightening everday, now it's only a little bit wavey at the ends. My hair is about APL and only is wavey for the last two inches. I dye my hair, and I straighten it pretty regualrly now. What could have cause it to be so drastic? I miss having the option of wearing my hair curly. Is ther anyway to get it to go back?

RavennaNight
October 16th, 2009, 06:16 PM
So you are still straightening it? With an iron or chemicals?

If not:

1. It could be silicone products. They straighten some peoples hair a bit because they coat the hair.
2. Is it longer now? Extra length sometimes weighs hair down, making it straighter.
3. Henna has been known to straighten hair.
4. Sometimes hair texture changes over the years. Sometimes curlies end up straighties later in life.

I am one of these folks. My hair used to be super wavey and even curly when it was short. I used to iron and blowdry my hair all the time to make it straight. In the summer I'd scrunch a curl or wave into it. I also used to chemical dye. I stopped all that stuff and now use henna. I also use cones. My hair has also grown a great deal since then.And now, without coaxing of any kind, my hair dries relatively straight and if I try to make a wave into it, it's just tangly and messy. It likes to be straight now :shrug:

I have read that using amla is good for enhancing waves/curls and also giving up silicone products also helps.

vindo
October 16th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Recently (the past 1 month) my hair has become a lot straighter. It has been happening my whole life but lately it has been extremely noticable. When I was very young (around 5) I had hair like Annie, then around a year and a half ago my hair started going into loose curls, so I stoped straightening everday, now it's only a little bit wavey at the ends. My hair is about APL and only is wavey for the last two inches. I dye my hair, and I straighten it pretty regualrly now. What could have cause it to be so drastic? I miss having the option of wearing my hair curly. Is ther anyway to get it to go back?

Answer - Dye and Heat styling

Dye causes damage to some extend causing hair to be straighter in most cases.
Heat styling can even more alter your hair type since the repeated heating of the hairs keratin can cause it to "reshape" and loose its texture on the long run. You can end up in hair type nomansland, undefined hair type.
I had both happening to many of my JTLH's. Often the hair bounced back after changing their haircare drastically. They have documented it on my website under "Journey to Long Hair", if you want you could check out the profiles of:
Libelle, Dini, Madde, Kayana and - Silentsoul who is probably the strongest example of how flat curls can get and how nicely they can come back to life.

Elenna
October 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
It depends upon the hair. Dye and heat styling caused more curls in my hair. With natural and longer hair, SMTs and no heat styling, hair is much straighter.

Presto
October 16th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Other things can change hair type severely for some people. Puberty, or pregnancy for instance. All those hormones can do some crazy stuff.

My hair has remained roughly the same, only darkening from blond to tawny. My curls might be a bit looser than they were before puberty, but my hair as also changed from the super fine flyaway hair most small children have.

But there are quite a few members here who have had quite dramatic changes at puberty, and a few reported drastic changes after having a child.

The most common change seems to be blonds darkening up as they get older.

jesamyn
October 17th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Hormones were a big one for me. My hair lost of a lot of curl when I was on BC, and it's coming back now (though not like when I was a teen). Lack of moisture and damage are also major culprits.

noelgirl
October 18th, 2009, 09:30 PM
It may be weather-related. Mine always gets straighter in the fall, since it's not as humid out.