PDA

View Full Version : What to do if you used too much oil?

Eilean
October 16th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Dear all,

I have tried to "pimp" my shampoo (mixed with water) with some almond oil. I used half a tea spoon in 300 ml of water but that obviously was too much for my hair. My hair behaves like a small child, if it does not like something it goes in the huff.. and it did. My scalp was fine but the length was rather oily and looked horrible. I waited until the hair was dry, checked it and decided to wash it again. It is slightly better but still quite oily, I can feel it when I touch it. But I do not want to wash my hair again, I simply wear it up until tomorrow or even Sunday.

My question is: is there an emergency treatment for hair that had a bit too much oil used on it? I really don't want to use really hot water or too much shampoo.

Any ideas? Thank you! :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 16th, 2009, 11:26 AM
some people have said baby powder but that makes my hair look dull and it feels awful, so the only thing I have found that works is another shampoo.

Gumball
October 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
If you were willing to hop in the shower I've heard the best thing to combat excess oil usage is a nice CO wash. Conditioner isn't too scary either! :D With my porous hair I can use quite a lot of coconut oil, put it up, and nobody would be the wiser if it's oily. It might look just a little bit that way if I left it down, but pfft that won't happen. It absorbs readily enough, too.

slz
October 16th, 2009, 11:30 AM
There's no such thing as "too much oil" for me - call me crazy, I enjoy the slick otter look/feel :D . Knowing it musn't be everybody's case, I just braid my hair. And oil it more then :D .

jojo
October 16th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I second a CO wash, straight onto dry hair and massage well. Leave on for a good 5 minutes and rinse...Voila nice hair!

MandaMom2Three
October 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I second the conditioner! Hey, can't go wrong with more moisture (well, somepwople can, but I can't LOL)

spidermom
October 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I'd wear it up and wait for the next opportunity to wash. Yesterday I over-oiled my hair and it looked kind of icky, but this morning I see that most of the oil has been absorbed, so my hair looks much better today. The same might happen for you.

Eilean
October 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Thank you all for your help. I haven't done a CO wash before but will try :) . Braiding does not work, I have layers .. looks a mess. I have to wait for another few inches :D . I am wearing a hair stick at the moment and will leave it. But I know "CO wash" works in case it happens again!

Thanks again! :)

motormuffin
October 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM
What if you tried dry shampoo? You'd have to go shopping...

sweetstaste
October 16th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I would either do a CO wash or just bun it for a day or two and then wash.

LittleOrca
October 16th, 2009, 12:05 PM
If I tend to accidentally put too much oil in my hair, I will wear it up in a bun or a braid where it doesn't matter that my hair is oily, since it's all contained and looks great. Then I will wash later that day if it really bugs me or the next day if I can live with it.

Eilean
October 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I have tried dry shampoo once but my scalp hated it, so I don't want to try it again to be honest. I think I will just wear it in a bun and leave it for now.