PDA

View Full Version : Deep oiling

maaria
October 16th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Hmm, I have been thinking about "deep oiling" exactly what is the point?? You put lot of oil in your hair, and let it be for some time maybe over night, then you wash it away..I did that last nigth, then I had to wash the oil away with some schampoo beacuse it felt fat and after the schampooning my hair went dry again, just like I never have had oil in my hair!! Why doesnt my hair take up the oil and what is the point with the whole thing, if you put oil in and wash it out with schampoo???:confused:

spidermom
October 16th, 2009, 06:17 AM
If you're using the right oil (coconut, olive, avocado) some of it will be absorbed and not washed away. That is why I do a thorough oiling several hours or the night before I plan to wash it - to allow my hair to soak up as much of it as possible, also to protect the ends from the shampoo. I also wash my hair with diluted shampoo at the scalp, so I don't think all the oil is washed away, which is good; my ends need it.

maaria
October 16th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Ok, so there is a point with deep oiling, maybe I just should do it more often to really get better results in my hair:pThank you Spidermom for the answer:)

ChloeDharma
October 16th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Echoing most of what Spidermom said....
Also, i like to make sure my hair is heavily oiled before i wash so that it protects the length from being stripped. Obviously if you are using loads of shampoo and making the hair squeaky clean then that would be counter productive though. Personally if using shampoo (SLS free or with SLeS) then i restrict that just to my scalp and roots then smother in conditioner to do the oil removal from the length.
I find heavy oiling treatments are something that takes time to show real results, for me improvements showed after spending months soaking my hair in oil for days at a time every week.....but, at that point my hair was extreemely damaged so you may not need to wait that long to see results.
Spidermom's point about the type of oil is also important.

ETA just to clarify what i meant about washing....i mean i shampoo the roots, rinse THEN smother in conditioner.....when i read my post back to myself i realised it sounded like i chucked it all on at once.

Calista
October 16th, 2009, 06:47 AM
maaria, a lot of people ask themselves the same question as you. Some members here do not do deep oilings for just the reason you gave - it doesn´t make sense to them. Personally I find deep oilings beneficial, but don´t feel bad if you don´t do them, because you are not the only one who doesn´t.

If washing with conditioner works for you you can remove the oil with that. CO is gentle, but in my experience it removes deep oilings just fine.

maaria
October 16th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Ok, I think I want things happen immediately, hmm..maybe I should give it some time!! My hair is also extreemly damaged:(Maybe I should oil before every wash??
I do the same washing procedur, ony schampoo in the roots..
I use oliveoil.:)
Thank you Calista for your tip!

eadwine
October 16th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Also.. there are people out there whose hair does NOT like oiling at all. Something to keep in mind, you might be one of those people :)

3azza
October 16th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I don't feel the need to wash my hair with more shampoo after deep oiling unless i've used extra amount of oil. Deep oiling for me means using an amount of oil that shows your hair just about wet and leaving it for as much as you can. and i believe that at least part of the good stuff is absorbed into scalp and hair even after washing with sls shampoos.
you have to experiment with the quantity of oil and then the quantity of shampoo afterwards. For my hip length iii naturally dry hair i use about 1/4 cup for deep oiling, and that would not leave my hair greasy after washing it like usual.

Finoriel
October 16th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Also many people with cones (or other built-up agents) in their routine report that heavy oiling is not as beneficial for them as it is for hair on a non cone diet :wink: i.e. without ongoing buildup.

jojo
October 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM
It took my hair a while to adapt to deep oilings, for me I deep oil over night and then in the morning I apply conditioner and really massage it in from the roots to the ends, I do not add water until my hair has had the condioner in for a good 5 minutes, then I rinse out. Remember oil and water do not mix and if you wet your hair first before applying shampoo/condioner it will stay greasy, add the condioner straight to oiled hair.

My hair really likes this now, but it was trial and error for a while.

Madame J
October 16th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Also.. there are people out there whose hair does NOT like oiling at all. Something to keep in mind, you might be one of those people :)

Yeah, I've determined that my scalp does not like to be heavily oiled for long. My "hair growth" oil actually makes me shed if I leave it on too long!

karli
October 17th, 2009, 02:55 AM
For me, deep oiling hasn`t worked well until around bsl. It wasn`t until hair got longer and couldn`t benefit from sebum that it got useful.

Fethenwen
October 17th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Remember oil and water do not mix and if you wet your hair first before applying shampoo/condioner it will stay greasy, add the condioner straight to oiled hair.

:doh:

This must be the reason why heavy oilings never have worked for me. I always wet my hair before putting any conditioner in it.
Lately oiling the scalp has worked fine, but if I put any oil on my ends I will have greasy hair for at least four days.

hmmm
October 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I agree with what the other members said. I've noticed that since I quit my SLS shampoo my hair seems conditioned a lot better, even if I don't use any conditioner afterwards. I put this down to the oil massages I do before washing it.