PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear a hair covering?

georgia_peach
October 16th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I have been considering covering my hair on a daily basis for a few different reasons. The main reason is that I really want to move to NW/SO, but I have chin length hair that will barely fit into an updo. I need to do something to hide the greasy stage of transitioning while still looking pulled together and somewhat groomed. I've gotten some great ideas from the folks over on the NW/SO thread, such as wearing scarves and buffs. But my real issue seems to be becoming a head covering wearer in a non-head-covering society.

Does anyone else cover their hair regularly? What has been your experience? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!

florenonite
October 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I suggest you take a look at this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21079) thread. It's mostly Christianity-oriented (as the title suggests :p), but there's a lot of good information on different styles of covering, experiences of covering, etc.

georgia_peach
October 16th, 2009, 07:13 AM
florenonite, thanks so much for the link. I've got some reading to do! :)

Spike
October 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
< raises hand halfway >

I drive a convertible in Arizona, so about nine months of the year, I'm . . . topless. (Obligatory joke, that.) My hair is not yet long enough to braid, and won't fit nicely under a ball cap. I think there's about a five minute window where it's long enough to tuck and stay, and short enough to not be wayyyy too much hair to fit.

So I cover with a scarf on my way to and from work. I'm out there in the most public eye with my head covered.

I've had two comments in a year. One was my boss, the cover model for Xenophobes Monthly. He made a snide remark about changing my religion due to the headscarf, I cracked wise back at him--and that was it. My mother in law commented that she LIKED my scarf and asked where I got it.

I've gone into stores wearing my scarf, and no nothing one way or t'other. Which is just fine, frankly.

georgia_peach
October 16th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Howdy Spike! Your response and your wit are greatly appreciated. I wonder if I'm making a big deal out of something that really isn't that big of a deal. It's time to just wrap up this hair and get out there. :o