PDA

View Full Version : Guess I may as well try and get my "Hair Typed" here :)

JCFantasy23
October 16th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I think I have my hair type right, but was curious to make sure I'm right, especially after seeing other peoples threads requesting hair typing. Plus, I'm bored and figured this would be fun before heading for bed.

Also, why not on hair color too. I figure I'm medium brown right now but my hair changes strangely. Sometimes it seems to lighten and sometimes its darker. Putting a few pictures up where the color varies a little.

*EDITED TO INCLUDE FRESHLY WASHED, NOT BRUSHED OR COMBED PICTURES*

Okay, here's my hair looking pretty nappy without being brushed or anything.

Sorry about the lighting but with this room and the camera it's the best I can do right now. Hopefully you can tell from these pictures.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/JCFantasy23/DSCF0006.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/JCFantasy23/DSCF0007.jpg

And, in case it's helpful, here's a picture of my hair not completely dry yet:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/JCFantasy23/DSCF0003.jpg

Also, I'm guessing I'm about 3" from waist, and then will start thickening up everything. Does that sound about right?

Aer
October 16th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I would call your color tawny nutmeg. It's very pretty. The picture that you say looks like crap, is actually the one I favor. I can't help with the hair typing, I just winged mine on my profile details.

JCFantasy23
October 16th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Hmmm never heard of "tawny nutmeg" but I like it sounds! The description certainly sounds prettier than I think the color of my hair is http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/CFAngel180/biggrin.gif I've been thinking of getting some highlights later for a little more depth as I hate when hair ends up all one flat color (unless it's very dark of course, then it just looks natural and pretty to be like that)

julliams
October 16th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Love the term "tawny nutmeg". Perfect!

EvaSimone
October 16th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I agree with tawny nutmeg... it's a pretty red brown.

As for the hair typing you really can't get an accurate hairtyping without washing it and allowing it to air dry with no manipulation. So I can't give you an accurate hair type.

GlassEyes
October 16th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Agreeed with eva simone. You have to wash it with no physical manipulation afterwards.

Elvi
October 16th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Your hair looks much like mine, yours maybe more reddish and slightly darker. My hair also looks very different in different lights. When I have wanted to be friendly to myself, I have called my hair "golden brown". You might choose those words, too. :cool:

JamieLeigh
October 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I agree with everyone else - your color is very pretty! :flower:

I also agree with GlassEyes....you need to wash it and NOT touch it, and then after it dries, take a photo. That's your true hairtype.

spidermom
October 16th, 2009, 10:21 AM
P.S., as above, but you can comb conditioner through it before or during the rinse so it doesn't knot up on you (I do this in the shower with my hair hanging down). Then let it dry with no more combing.

JamieLeigh
October 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
P.S., as above, but you can comb conditioner through it before or during the rinse so it doesn't knot up on you (I do this in the shower with my hair hanging down). Then let it dry with no more combing.

Yes, this. I CO wash, so my hairtyping pic was full of conditioner. Just leave it alone after you get out of the shower lol.

ericthegreat
October 16th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Hi JCFantasy. Since in both your first and third pics you have your hair either half pulled back or French braided, its impossible to hairtype you from those photos. I have to say tho that in your third pic, the French braid came out very neat!

Now in your second photo, you said you have some remaining braid waves in your hair and it appears to be brushed out a little bit. Having done even something as simple as that will take your hair away from its true natural texture and skew the results. To accurately get your true hair type, you need to either wash or rinse your hair and then let it totally air-dry without combing it out or touching it in any way.

JCFantasy23
October 16th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hi JCFantasy. Since in both your first and third pics you have your hair either half pulled back or French braided, its impossible to hairtype you from those photos. I have to say tho that in your third pic, the French braid came out very neat!

Now in your second photo, you said you have some remaining braid waves in your hair and it appears to be brushed out a little bit. Having done even something as simple as that will take your hair away from its true natural texture and skew the results. To accurately get your true hair type, you need to either wash or rinse your hair and then let it totally air-dry without combing it out or touching it in any way.

Oh whoops I feel very silly now, guess I wasn't thinking clearly with this post. Sorry for wasting everyones time! I will try to take a picture tonight after washing my hair and not touching it.

JCFantasy23
October 16th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Bump - added the right sort of pictures

Amara
October 16th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Looks like 1C!

rags
October 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
It looks like 1b or 1b/1c to me!

ericthegreat
October 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM
From your updated photos, you are squarely a 1b. You hair typed yourself correctly JCFantasy!

JCFantasy23
October 16th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone! At least now I know for sure

spidermom
October 16th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I agree with 1B, which is what I guessed before the "proper" pictures.

ericthegreat
October 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Yeah, from your roots to about shoulder length your hair is very straight, and then just down toward the last 4 inches of your ends you have just the slightest amount of wave. That would put you at 1b, since someone with 1a like me has totally pin straight hair. And someone with 1c would actually have loose, repeating S-shaped waves. You are right in between. :)

JCFantasy23
October 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah, from your roots to about shoulder length your hair is very straight, and then just down toward the last 4 inches of your ends you have just the slightest amount of wave. That would put you at 1b, since someone with 1a like me has totally pin straight hair. And someone with 1c would actually have loose, repeating S-shaped waves. You are right in between. :)

Ah ok that makes sense! I've always noticed my hair has a bit of wave when wet or not brushed, but once brushed it goes to straight. At least I don't have to wonder about that now.

daydreamer
October 17th, 2009, 07:53 PM
It looks solidly 1B to me -- very lovely color! Not sure what I'd call your color, maybe almost a medium auburn?

vdhendrix
October 25th, 2009, 05:02 AM
i would say you have 1b/m/ii has as for the color it looks like a reddish brown to me lol maybe "strawberry brown"?