PDA

View Full Version : What could cause this?

windinherhair
October 15th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Some of the hairs in my bangs are rough in texture. I notice them when I have run my fingers through my hair. They can have a "crinkle" feel to them. :confused: A few of them stick out sometimes and can have a slight curl to them too. My hair is naturally straight.

Do you know what would cause this? Could my hair scissors be dull? They are my first pair and I just bought them in April. I don't know what else it could be. :confused:

Longlocks3
October 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hmmm....My hair feels rough if it's dry. I remedy it with lots of moisture before a wash. Or it's from splits, but it sounds like you've taken care of those?

Or it's new growth! My new growth usually feels 'wiry' until it get longs and settles down.

SylphideNoir
October 15th, 2009, 06:32 PM
It's probably just a hair or two of different texture. I think Dianyla calls them head pubes.

motormuffin
October 15th, 2009, 07:04 PM
It's probably just a hair or two of different texture. I think Dianyla calls them head pubes.
Oh that is so funny. I think I have those too...:o

spidermom
October 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Normal variation.

may1em
October 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Normal variation.

This. Also, if you're anything like me, you tend to play with your bangs more so than the rest of your hair and are more likely to notice the "head pubes" in that section than in other sections.

Another thing: do you blow dry or flat iron your bangs and leave the rest alone? Heat damage is possible, but it's not as big a deal with bangs because they get trimmed more regularly.

Darkhorse1
October 15th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I've noticed this too--if you've colored your hair, I think the hair color makes the texture change to a finer feeling, so new growth/new hairs will feel 'thicker'/coarser. I think that's more of a natural texture. Also, apparently so I've read, texture of hair constantly changes as you age, so it's possible it's just changes that are occuring as you mature?

Aer
October 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Do you use a facial cleanser? If so, this can come in contact with your bangs and throw off texture sometimes.

Arctic
October 16th, 2009, 02:47 AM
If it's only the very tips of the hairs, then they might have been broken. Sometimesmy broken hairs are crinckly at the tip.

julliams
October 16th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I have the same thing - wirey bumpy hairs all through my hair whilst others are baby fine and straight as a board. I find them and pick them out because I hate the feeling of them but I think I'm best leaving them because you are right, when they are short they stick straight.

Alternatively, do you use a straightener on your bangs? It could be a heat issue.

Juliette

Sheltie_Momma
October 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I have these, from time to time throughout my length. I have a theory that it is hairs that have gotten stretched or damaged and then have sprung back. Like how scissors will curl a paper ribbon and make it sproing into a curl. I think mine is caused by mechanical damage from when I brush and comb and also the hinge on my glasses. This is totally just my personal uneducated theory.

Allegra
October 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Do you use a facial cleanser? If so, this can come in contact with your bangs and throw off texture sometimes.
Good point, i never really thought about that. I also have 'weird' hair in my bangs and I'm sure all manner of face products even make-up coming into contact with them could be the cause.

xxaimsxx
October 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Same with me too. The most healthiest hairs on my head are at the top and back. Whereas where my bangs are right close to my forehead they are more dry than the rest of my hair and i dont even straighten them anymore.
Something to do with the scalp maybe? Less blood flow. I dunno what im talking about rofl.

windinherhair
October 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Thank you for all the replies!!

I don't oil my bangs like I do the rest of my hair, but occasionally I do find a hair mixed in with my longer length that may be rough. So I don't think it is because they need more moisture. The rough feeling of the hairs are the full length of the hair, and not just the tip.

I wouldn't be surprised if I am playing with my bangs more and I don't realize it. My husband used to get after me for playing with the length of my hair and I didn't even realize it. Now I put it up more and that helps, but then my bangs are still there. :)

No, I don't blow dry or flat iron any parts of my hair, so it wouldn't be from that.

I have colored my hair before but all of my bangs would be new growth now. I see what you mean by color can change the texture of new growth though. Of course hair texture changes over the years so that could be it also.

I pull my bangs back with a headband when I wash my face, so it wouldn't be my facial cleanser.

vindo
October 16th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Normal variation.

yeah, most people have it...some more and some less.

It can also be caused by a not so well functioning hair follicle and hair bulb, they can do a half hearted job at times or even permanently produce hairs like that if they ever got scarred.