PDA

View Full Version : Hair inexplicably getting wavier... what is this?

daydreamer
October 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
So I was checking on my growth today in a mirror and noticed that it is strangely wavier than it used to be! This is air dried, no brushing:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3510/4015391720_8d4d773d33.jpg
And my hair in July, my last signature picture:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3523/3718385239_440442a0f7.jpg

What on earth hair type is this? I guess the only thing done much differently is that I switched back to coneless conditioner after a few months -- but it was not this wavy before I did the cones again, either (and was cone-free for quite some time before that). Maybe it is just that my dye damage is growing out more (and I've trimmed out some), as the wavier part is mostly above the dye line?

Roseate
October 15th, 2009, 04:10 PM
It does look like the wavier part starts above the dye line. Above that point it looks more 1c/2a, and thicker than the bottom, too! Looking good.

Amara
October 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
The wavier parts seem to be moving down along with the dye line, so the dye must have straightened your hair a bit.

sherigayle
October 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
My hair is curlier the more moisture it is retaining. Have you been doing any moisture treatments or anything?

pradabacon
October 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM
My hair is much wavier when I'm coneless. And I agree that it looks wavier above where it's been dyed. :) It may be a combo of both things.

daydreamer
October 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM
No moisture treatments, but it has been raining heavily lately -- so maybe just the extra moisture in the air?

Spike
October 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Could be the moisture in the air, could be the dye damage causing the hair to straighten, could be the lack of cones, could be . . . gnomes! Evil wavy gnomes in your hair! Eeek!! :bigeyes:

No, seriously, mine is coming in wavier/curlier now that I've begin oiling and CWC. I'm eagerly watching it grow and wonder if I'll get a true spiral coil or three near the hemline.

JamieLeigh
October 16th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hair does have a tendency to change type, the longer it gets. It varies for everyone - some find their length pulls it down and straightens their waves out, some find more waves the more length is added. For me, it was switching to coneless as well - I had WAY more wave than before. Perhaps the first time you went coneless, you didn't clarify as well as you did this time around? Your hair is very lovely! :flower:

longhairedfairy
October 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I would guess it's either the humidity or you just have healthier hair growing in and showing its natural texture that you didn't realise was there.:)

daydreamer
October 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Well this certainly makes me want to do more about getting it well-moisturized! I like it :) -- it would be awesome if all of my virgin hair grew in this way.

YoginiCelestial
October 16th, 2009, 01:58 PM
So I was checking on my growth today in a mirror and noticed that it is strangely wavier than it used to be!

it looks so nice wavy and really healthy, you're doing a good job!

jivete
October 16th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I would guess it's the dye (or lack of) that's making the difference. There's a pretty big difference in waviness between my virgin hair and dyed hair. I think it's because the old dyed hair doesn't hold moisture as well.

daydreamer
October 16th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Thank you, Yogini! These past couple of years are the first that I have treated it well in my whole life, so it is nice to see it paying off.
Jivete, that is a good point -- my ends are rather straw-like and don't hold moisture very well. That must be the key!

vindo
October 16th, 2009, 05:45 PM
What on earth hair type is this? I guess the only thing done much differently is that I switched back to coneless conditioner after a few months -- but it was not this wavy before I did the cones again, either (and was cone-free for quite some time before that). Maybe it is just that my dye damage is growing out more (and I've trimmed out some), as the wavier part is mostly above the dye line?

You are saying it right there..:)

Cone free: more moisture is able to get to your hair
Dye free: Dye can really alter tha hair type, straighter for most, and wavier for straighties sometimes.
So your new hair is healthier and has more bounce.

Looking at the pictures it just seems that your hair is finally deciding for a hair type. :flower: