PDA

View Full Version : Types of Shine?

doodlesmart
April 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM
So I've noticed IRL that there seem to be two "types" of shine I see on hair. One which is a very healthy looking shine that seems to be like the hair itself is glowing. One example that comes to mind is Bluegrass' current sig pic. This type of shine seems to come from within and has a beautiful depth to it.

The second type I'm not sure what causes it, but it looks very artificial. I will occasionally see someone's hair IRL (never here) which looks damaged and dry to me, but is somehow really shiny. Kind of like if someone took a piece of old dry wood and put a coat of spray on polyurethane on it.

Am I the only one who sees different kinds of shine? Are there other kinds you see? Am I totally crazy and seeing things?

Riot Crrl
April 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
It's probably silicone serum.

LOL there is also henna kind, which I have.

coppercurls
April 20th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I know what you mean. Like tonight I was in line at a store & the customer in front of me had about BSL bleached blond hair, straight ironed within an inch of it's life, ends were ratty & uneven but it was really shiny! :confused: How does that happen? Shellac? Turtle Wax? I mean her hair looked like if you bent it, it would break off. :shrug:

cuddledumplin
April 20th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I agree with Riot Crrl; it's probably a silicone-based product used on damaged hair.

Awalia
April 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM
I have a friend who has a hair like that, and i think that it's the hairspray she uses.

ilovelonghair
April 21st, 2008, 12:41 AM
Some hair dyes do it too. I used to dye my hair and then it was really shiny.

k_hepburn
April 21st, 2008, 12:51 AM
I second the hair dye idea. When hair is freshly dyed, it will have that over-the-top kind of shine. Unfortunately, this shine is not the most stable element of the hair dyeing process, so it is one of the first things to get lost when washing your hair, even with permanent dye.

Also, I have seem some hair styling instructions that ask for the use of something to which they refer as "shine serum". I've always been puzzled about what products this might refer to - I might be tempted to use some for the odd special occasion if anyone could point me to a product that does in fact make my hair look all shiny. :cheese:

Greetings

katharine

Finoriel
April 21st, 2008, 01:00 AM
Many box dyes contain cones, thatīs why hair can shine more after dying.
Iīve also notice different shines. Not only the coney one, for me freshly washed hair has another shine than oiled hair, not better or worse in any kind, only noticeable different.
Hard to describe but the product shine looks more like polished glass, shiny allover no matter what, not so much changing with the light... not as vivid as the natural hair shine appears, if thatīs the right word.

willowcandra
April 21st, 2008, 01:27 AM
I used to use a silicone spray, it works really well.
Natural shine makes the hair look almost translucent.
Henna shine is another which is more sparkly.
so no your not the only one lol.

There is also camera flash shine and rl shine. (I am happy today because I have real shine lol)

CurlyNinja
April 21st, 2008, 01:36 AM
It's true...a lot of people ask me (here, at nc.com, and IRL) what I do to get my hair so shiny, and honestly, my answer is "not much." Essentially everything on my head right now is undamaged from heat styling and un-dyed hair, and as a result it's shiny. It is what it is...there is no "quick fix" for real shine, it has to come from within and the only way it's going to do that is if the hair is healthy.

spidermom
April 21st, 2008, 08:20 AM
I commented to my daughter (who dyes and bleaches) recently that her hair looked so healthy and shiny that day, and she said "it's the shine spray." I credit oiling and good care for my shine.

GlassEyes
April 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
CurlyNinja, your hair is incredible. Holy mother of blah blah it's shiny.

I've noticed many different types actually. The first is the kind my sister has, the 'blinding shine' that's like a layer of light directly on top of the hair. Curly Ninja has that. Another type is what I call 'the gloss', which is a more subdued shine, but usually accompanied by soft looking hair. I'm having trouble thinking of who has this kind of shine at the moment. Maybe Angellen? I'd like to think of myself as having that kind of shine. xD

Another type is the 'spread' shine. It's not as blindingly bright, but it falls more along the length of the hair, and it's apparent. Frannie G has that kind of shine, I think.

Then there's the 'liquid hair' shine, which I've only seen on one person, and that'd be Toof from here. Her hair looks like liquid fire, for crying out loud.

Then there's the kind you noticed, the damaged shine. Honestly, it might not necessarily be a shine serum; some people just have shiny hair no matter how the fry it. It is possible the shine results from a cone serum though. My straightened hair in my photo allbums can be an example of that.

Leisa
April 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM
I'm constantly seeking naturally shiny hair. I haven't narrowed it down to any specific ingredients although some shampoos make my hair dull and some shiny.

Recently I'm doing nettle rinses and that has brought out the shine quite nicely. SMT's although I don't use them anymore (cut out conditioner) made my hair shiny too.

Long live shine! Dull shineless hair bugs me worse than knots and tangles.

amaiaisabella
April 21st, 2008, 10:14 AM
While I think dyed color brings out shine, it is the proper maintenance that keeps it lovely :)

When I first colored my hair again it was sooo shiny and beautiful, but since then I CO every couple of days and I have gotten a few comments about how it's so shiny and healthy looking. So in my case, the color made it shiny but I am just maintaining it :)

flapjack
April 21st, 2008, 10:49 AM
Curlyninja, people ask me the same thing and I give the same answer. I don't use a blow dryer, I don't use any heat, I don't use any non-natural products and I don't color it. That's it, nothing else special is done to it.

TheBlondeApple
April 21st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Straightening gives shine - and damaged and dry look at the ends.
Anja