PDA

View Full Version : A cut=healthier looking?

DMARTINEZ
October 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Ok, heres the question.
Does hair that has a style/cut with layers appear to be healthier than
long one length hair? I recently got my hair cut, wanted a change. As
I was out with a good friend today,she was saying how my hair looks so
healthy now....? Before the cut,I was at about BSL,one length,and truly
it was and is extremely healthy.NO split ends,not dry,etc etc.

What gives?, are alot of people under the impression that healthy hair
is cut and styled? My profile pic shows my hair, and there is no difference
in how it looks now,to when it was longer. Ive also gotten the" you
look 10 yrs younger",yada,yada. Apparently I looked ancient with my
updos...lol To be fair it is a wee bit shorter than the profile,but not much.

The funniest thing is I got the best(IMO)remark and reaction from an
18 yr old girl in church,she said,OH, I miss your updos,you were the queen
of updos!! I think you can probably guess what my plan is now.....

I will enjoy the change for awhile tho. ;)

Deb

spidermom
October 15th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I am guessing that they got used to the way your hair looked and no longer noticed the shine and health of it. Then the new cut got their attention, and they're noticing things that were true before but seem new to them because now they're looking.

Roseate
October 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Fresh ends always do look good, whether it's just a microtrim or a whole new style.

Even if my hair is in great shape before, it always looks better to me right after a trim; I think it's a combination of enjoying the change, and the ends actually looking neater when they are freshly cut.

Amara
October 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I bet they noticed the change - like Spidermom said. I'm glad you got a compliment on your updoes! I NEVER get compliments on my updoes! :p It's nice to have them appreciated. :)

PseudoScot
October 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I know people like natural or uncut hair but I am of the opinion that a trim does tend to 'freshen' up the ends and makes is look a bit cleaner. Even if there is no breakage hair can grow at different rates and a trim evens all that out. Ditto to the previous ladies as well.

spidermom
October 15th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Trimmed ends do give a "fresher" appearance that I like very much; I hadn't thought of that.

DMARTINEZ
October 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Let me clarify,I DID have regular trims. But, maybe all the new hairs made it seem like
I didnt? But,everyone has those....baby hairs. All said and done,its made me a bit
confused as to what actually looks good or bad... :( Being 50 doesnt help. OR maybe
its just the natural texture of my hair,,,wavy,coarse and at times a little frizzy made it
seem that way?
But to me,now its just shorter,wavy,frizzy and coarse. ;) oh,and I do
have lots of white/silver hair too? Sigh. One thing Ive given cosideration to doing,is
just growing it out longer again,but with a layered hemline. I never do braids,so it wouldnt
be a problem for that.

Deb

DMARTINEZ
October 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I am guessing that they got used to the way your hair looked and no longer noticed the shine and health of it. Then the new cut got their attention, and they're noticing things that were true before but seem new to them because now they're looking.

I think your right Spidermom! This makes ALOT of sense to me. Thanks! :)

DMARTINEZ
October 15th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I bet they noticed the change - like Spidermom said. I'm glad you got a compliment on your updoes! I NEVER get compliments on my updoes! :p It's nice to have them appreciated. :)

Yes it is,even if its just one person! ;)

Shell
October 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Also, I don't know your friend, but she might think it looked more "in style" with waves. That might make it look "healthier" to her. And, layers might make your hair look thicker (they do mine), and so thicker might equal healthier in her mind.

I love the look of freshly cut ends myself--growing up with hairdressers I suppose!

MirandaWelch
October 15th, 2009, 04:34 PM
For me, a fresh cut makes mine look great because of all the body I get from layers. When my hair is all one length, the weight pulls it down and I get flat on the top.

DMARTINEZ
October 15th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I still think it was what Spidermom said...lol :) But seriously,my hair is pretty thick,didnt have
fairytale ends,etc. The only other thing was,when I wore it down,unless it had a coney leave in on it,it tended to frizz a bit. But I only wore it down once or twice when it was at its
longest,and even then,it was in a sort of half up poof. It was up 99% of the time.

Bottom line is,I think most are used to seeing healthy hair as smooth,styled to an inch
of ones life,and not naturally textured,healthy,long hair. I wish id gotten layers in my longer
hair to start,but alas,didnt. This too shall pass!

Deb

going gray
October 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Last summer when I made a "insane" decision to cut my hair in something stylist with layers etc. The first comment made by practically everyone was, you look 10 years younger!

I do agree having slight trims, or dustings make your hair look healthier.

DMARTINEZ
October 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Last summer when I made a "insane" decision to cut my hair in something stylist with layers etc. The first comment made by practically everyone was, you look 10 years younger!

LOL,can I claim insanity too? :)

JCFantasy23
October 15th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Ok, heres the question.
Does hair that has a style/cut with layers appear to be healthier than
long one length hair? I recently got my hair cut, wanted a change. As
I was out with a good friend today,she was saying how my hair looks so
healthy now....? Before the cut,I was at about BSL,one length,and truly
it was and is extremely healthy.NO split ends,not dry,etc etc.

What gives?, are alot of people under the impression that healthy hair
is cut and styled? My profile pic shows my hair, and there is no difference
in how it looks now,to when it was longer. Ive also gotten the" you
look 10 yrs younger",yada,yada. Apparently I looked ancient with my
updos...lol To be fair it is a wee bit shorter than the profile,but not much.

The funniest thing is I got the best(IMO)remark and reaction from an
18 yr old girl in church,she said,OH, I miss your updos,you were the queen
of updos!! I think you can probably guess what my plan is now.....

I will enjoy the change for awhile tho. ;)

Deb

I don't know if it's that exactly (the styled), although it may be in somes eyes. Sometimes layers just add more bounce and depth though and that may be what she's noticing.

Cat Lady
October 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM

I disagree with many people's perspective that shorter, styled hair makes people look younger. I was looking through the "Salt and Pepper" thread earlier, and I am convinced that ladies with longer silver flecked hair look so much younger and more elegant than other ladies who feel inclined to chop it all off short once they begin to gain in years. Maybe it's just that many of the longer haired ladies don't feel the need to conform to other's expectations and it is their young, less burdened spirits shining through.

DMARTINEZ, I am sure you look equally lovely with your new hair, and what a wonderful compliment to be called queen of the updos! I dream of being queen of the updos one day too :)

friskybiznus
October 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I disagree with many people's perspective that shorter, styled hair makes people look younger. I was looking through the "Salt and Pepper" thread earlier, and I am convinced that ladies with longer silver flecked hair look so much younger and more elegant than other ladies who feel inclined to chop it all off short once they begin to gain in years. Maybe it's just that many of the longer haired ladies don't feel the need to conform to other's expectations and it is their young, less burdened spirits shining through. :)

Exactly!! This is most eloquently stated! Silver Longhairs rock! :cheese:

JamieLeigh
October 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
To me, a cut means fuller, thicker ends...but not necessarily healthier-looking. I have seen perfectly healthy fairy-tale ends all over this website. :flower:

xxaimsxx
October 16th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Noway if anything i think layers make your hair look unhealthy. Well not long layers. Long layers are lovely but when i got my hair cut short with short layers i hated it. It looked damaged and thin. :(

I prefer all one length hair on me anyways.