PDA

View Full Version : First hair compliment! :) (Dutch braid)

No excuses
October 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
At school I was wearing my hair in a single rather messy tucked-under Dutch braid (my hair is now a bit shorter than APL so I still can tuck it under pretty well) when my friend came across me and said something like: 'Whoa... do you make all of these up-dos by yourself?'
I felt happy that anyone noticed that I no longer wear my hair down constantly and answered yes :D And she told me that she was jealous of my ability to make a nice up-do :) Believe me, it made my day! Of course thanks to you, LHC-ers (I am a lurker for maybe a year and have learned soooo much) :D

Do you receive compliments on Dutch braids, too? I heard from my other friend that whenever she wears it, somebody asks her how it is done :p do you think that it is because a little number of people can do a Dutch braid...? :confused: but it isn't so difficult, though....
How do you think?

florenonite
October 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Dutch braids are so difficult :lol: I can do a five-strand braid no problem but my Dutch braids always turn out too loose. Maybe it's because I always do French braids instead :shrug:

There are a lot of people who can't even do a basic 3-strand braid in their hair, because people just don't braid their hair that often. Some people can do a 3-strand braid but not a French braid, and Dutch is a wee bit more difficult than French, IMO (those Dutch folk, they just aren't as nice as the French :p). So I do think the fascination comes from people not being able to do it, and therefore considering it difficult. I've gotten awed looks before for doing French braids without a mirror before, but I find them easy. I think it's just because I do them so often :shrug:

JamieRose
October 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Well I would be impressed if I saw one! I am updo challenged. That compliment would def. make my day too!

Amara
October 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I see French braids way more often than Dutch braids, so French must be a bit easier. I can't think of another explanation. What's weird is, while I can manage both, I really have an easier time doing a single french braid, and when I do double braids my hands like to do Dutch! :silly:

Elphie
October 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I have to force myself to really "think" to do a french braid. My hands automatically do dutch for some reason. Even when I try to do someone else's hair and intend to braid it french I find myself doing it dutch.

jojo
October 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I love dutch and french braids. For some reason, I need to think more doing a dutch and my arms ache these days when I do them. But it is great you got a compliment, they are hard to conquer and to learn so early on in your growing journey is fantastic; well done!

skay
October 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
At school I was wearing my hair in a single rather messy tucked-under Dutch braid (my hair is now a bit shorter than APL so I still can tuck it under pretty well) when my friend came across me and said something like: 'Whoa... do you make all of these up-dos by yourself?'
I felt happy that anyone noticed that I no longer wear my hair down constantly and answered yes :D And she told me that she was jealous of my ability to make a nice up-do :) Believe me, it made my day! Of course thanks to you, LHC-ers (I am a lurker for maybe a year and have learned soooo much) :D

Do you receive compliments on Dutch braids, too? I heard from my other friend that whenever she wears it, somebody asks her how it is done :p do you think that it is because a little number of people can do a Dutch braid...? :confused: but it isn't so difficult, though....
How do you think?

Congratulations on the compliment! Your hair must've looked cool.

I have noticed that people compliment the dutch braids when I wear them (I wear 2 at a time). I think it's because many people aren't sure how to do them or don't know how to do them and the style looks a little intricate to most folks.

Last week I wore 2 Dutch braids and then clipped them up in a loose ball or so towards the back of my ears. My students said the hair style looked cute and asked how long it took to do the hairstyle. They were very surprised when I said 5 minutes.

Tinose
October 15th, 2009, 09:44 PM
A left handed friend of mine said that she could do a Dutch braid but not a French braid, and blamed her left-handedness. Maybe that's why?

Anyway, congratulations!

emmebean
October 15th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Congrats, I love to do dutch braids on my daughter with the thick hair, they always get so many comments! Everyone is amazed that the braiding only takes 5 to 10 mins depending on what we do....she's 8, she won't sit still any longer than that!!

JamieLeigh
October 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Congrats on the compliment! :flower: My mom is definitely more impressed with a Dutch braid than a French braid or English braid, so you could be onto something there.

Vijikanth
October 16th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I did my first self dutch braid. Thanks to youtube. I have shoulder length hair and just out of curiosity tried and it came even though a little messy. Luckily had my digicam by my side, so took a snap. When I can, I'll surely post the photo. But its a milestone in my long hair journey.

Stephichan
October 16th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I haven't tried a dutch braid yet (hmm... I know what I'm doing tonight! Or maybe before my next class....). But whenever I do a french braid at least one girl on my hall will compliment it and ask if I do them myself. There's one girl who joked that someday she'd stop by my room for a lesson on french braiding. I wonder how she'd react if I showed up one day in a dutch braid.

Jennie80
October 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hi. In Sweden we don`t use Dutch brade or French brade. What kind of brades is it. I do 2 different kinds of brades in my hair. One is like "baked in" brade. And the other is the oposite. You take a little bit of hair each time and brades it under each other. The " baked in" I think is your French kind of brade..Brades are a lot of fun..

I like to learn other hair styles.

Have a nice evening