PDA

View Full Version : Does and oil and water combo work?

pinchbeck
October 15th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Sometimes applying oil can make hair look a wee bit heavy. Do you think a mixture of your chosen oil (jojoba, fractionated coconut, camellia, etc.) can be diluted in a spray bottle with water and be effective at moisturizing and detangling? Does it work?

jojo
October 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Could do i suppose, but then again water and oil dont mix as a rule but I suppose if your spraying it on your hair then yes!

I sometimes mix conditioner and water and spray that on, maybe this is an option?

Silver & Gold
October 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I've found a way to make this work. I find that I can shake any amount of Jojoba oil I chose into a quantity of Fruit of the Earth Aloe Gel and the oil stays suspended. I will actually do this and mix in a bit of essential oil for my husband to use on his face as a moisturizer/after shave lotion. I will generally mix a large amount of this and if the bottle of aloe has at least 1/3 of it used up already I can shake it up right in the bottle.

I use this same mixture as a base for my misting spray. I generally use about 1/4 of the jojoba aloe mix to 3/4 of distilled water. This way I'm misting a bit of water and oil both on my ends. If I want additional oil I can always apply a bit of oil from the palm of my hands after misting or add more oil to my mixture the next time.

Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=defrizz+spray) is where I got the idea to experiment with my own combination.

.Amanaka.
October 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Right now I have a mister with olive oil and water in it. I've found that if I shake it really well before I use it then it will mix enough for me to mist with it. The trick is remembering to do that every time you use it.

Nera
October 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I do this all the time. I melt coconut oil in boiled water, let it cool, put it in a spraybottle and spray it on my ends, and sometimes on the entire length. Works much better then just oil!

pinchbeck
October 15th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Nera: Did you know that coconut oil comes in a fractionated form which means you don't have to melt it? I don't know if it offers or has the same benefits as its non-fractionated solid form, however.

halo_tightens
October 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I've done this before, with olive oil and with other things that don't stay dissolved in water. If you shake it really well every single time you use it, it works great!