PDA

View Full Version : I have just found a great motivation.

RancheroTheBee
October 14th, 2009, 11:45 PM
As you all know, it's sometimes hard to find the motivation to grow out your hair. It seems to take so long, it's frustrating. I just found a great motivator: healthy competition!

My boyfriend had decided to grow out his hair, and he's almost two and a half inches now. He grows about 3/4 to a full inch a month, compared with my 1/2 inch. Plus, my hair is drier and finer than his, so he never has to trim. Of course, my first thought was, "I must have super long hair before him." I think the only way to motivate me to do anything is to turn it into a competition.

What's your motivator?

Dars
October 14th, 2009, 11:57 PM
A little friendly competition is all good in my books! I used to do the same thing in highschool with several people, it was all in good fun!

My biggest motivator to start growing my hair out in 2007 was going to Europe this year. Now that I'm back and found LHC I've decided to keep growing (previous plans suggested a buzz cut!). I've grown fond of long healthy hair and become quite used to my curls. I've identified my goal length and it motivates me to get there one day.

joyellen
October 15th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Hah, I know how it is. My boyfriend hasn't had his hair trimmed in almost 2 years and he has no splits at all. It's also very shiny and curly. Count me envious...

My motivation to grow my hair long is just the fact that I've wanted long hair my whole adult life but never had the patience to just grow it out. I did have a friend who I sort of had a secret competition with. If my hair was longer than hers, I was happy. Right now, though, it's just knowing that I'm trucking along and not chopping it off.

hanne jensen
October 15th, 2009, 05:10 AM
My motivator is my hair does not suit my face the length that it is now. I look best in extremely long or extremely short hair. I freeze to death in extremely short hair!
I also have a little competition going on with my daughter.

nowxisxforever
October 15th, 2009, 05:24 AM
My little sister and I kept doing that, but I stopped comparing myself to her when she kept chopping her off for a trendy style after growing it out to about BSL. Her hair grows super fast, so it wasn't quite fair... :) Mine grows soooo slowly!

My motivation? Letting laziness win :) I don't WANT to go to the salon, I don't WANT to spend a lot of time on my hair, I don't WANT to cut it... so I just leave it alone. It's the best, simplest, lowest-maintenance thing I could do, is grow it out. :)

Carolyn
October 15th, 2009, 06:44 AM
My biggest motivation was seeing a picture of myself with shorter hair and remembering how much I hated it. Also just seeing all the dreadful short haircuts out there is enough to keep me from experimenting.

melrose1985
October 15th, 2009, 07:12 AM
My biggest motivator is a couple of things. I hate short on me and how i can just put it back when i want to. I'm trying to grow my hair nice and long for one of my best friends weddings because i'm a brides maid. And lastly, i just really want to see how i look with bsl-waist length hair.

Oh and the lazy factor, besides my trim/layers i got a couple of weeks ago (because i'm growing some nasty damage) i couldnt be botherd to go and get my hair done. My lazy-ness = a VERY cheap hair care system, i'm glad i dont spend 200+ dollars in the salon a month. I was always dying and changing my hair!

Willheit
October 15th, 2009, 07:17 AM
My biggest motivator is being able to DO things with my hair. It is so boring to me to have to wear my hair exactly the same way every day because the cut demands it. When it's longer I can braid, bun, toy, etc. So much more fun! Also, up dos are just classier and fit my face shape better. You can't put a pixie cut into an up do!

spidermom
October 15th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I don't need a motivator. I've had every short and medium length style that I ever wanted and now all I want is long. Sometimes I get really frustrated with my hair and hate it, then I come here and my friends talk me off the ledge.

Wind Dragon
October 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM
The only style I like on me between waist and pixie would involve frequent trims that I'm not capable of handling myself. So would the pixie, if I were going to keep it looking really good.

Not having to get me to a cuttery every three to four weeks is motivator enough. As an impulse thing, the memory of growing it out from pixie to where I could pull it all back is quite enough to keep me from ever wanting to do it again. :shudder:

As a reminder, I got carried away my last trim and cut a good swath of it way shorter than I should have. I now have a good chunk of "bangs" to go with my fringe that'll probably take a good year of growth before I can keep it pulled back. :rant: Won't be trying that again.

In short, experience? :lol:

KajiKodomo
October 15th, 2009, 07:45 AM
My biggest motivator is looking at pictures of me with short hair and long hair. I have grown my hair out to almost waist length twice in my journey, and always ended up cutting it from there to an about shoulder-length bob, and shorter from there.

I feel that I look good with both short and long hair, but I just prefer how I look with long hair. I have pictures of my hair long from both the front and the back and that's the biggest motivation for me. :D

I'm also secretly excited about growing my hair longer than my sister's. Right now, hers is at about BSL and mine is just barely shoulder-length. She cuts hers when it gets longer than BSL, so we'll see how long it takes for my hair to pass hers in length! :D

Heavenly Locks
October 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Honestly, the unknown is my motivator. :)

As of now...my hair is as long as it's ever been and I want to see how long it can get. :D So, that means anything past here, is new and exciting!

redneckprincess
October 15th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I like when my husband gets his hair cut because I feel like if his has grown that much, mine must have...I have recently noticed he does keep a little more length though lately

viking_quest
October 15th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Curiosity is my motivator. I keep learning new things about my hair the longer it gets and I like that.

jocosema
October 15th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I've always wanted really long hair, but never grew it out. When I hit 40 I thought it's now or never. Plus by the time I'm 50 I should have a long braid and think that will be cool.

sweetstaste
October 15th, 2009, 08:29 AM
My motivator is my husband. He is adamant about cutting my hair! I chopped two inches off while he was at work and he was furious! Each time I try to cut it with his knowledge, he said no but I am not complaining. If it was not for him, I would still be shoulder length.

RoseRedDead
October 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Competition can be a very good motivator, or an annoyance.

Back in 2007, I announced to my family (stupidly, really, because they don't care either way) that I was to grow my hair out! Then my little sister decided she wanted to do it too... And then my older sister as well. My younger sister's hair grows quicker than mine, or I was going through a really bad stall for a while there (I finally feel like I'm getting out of that), so she reached waist-length long before I did. I'm still not there yet. But recently she got a hair cut with sidebands and layers that's about BSL (which looks fantastic on her), so I'm the one with the longest hair in the family! Yay!

Now - I don't care. I grow my hair for me, not to compete with anyone else. I do take secret pleasure in sitting in church and knowing that out of a congregation of about 700, I probably have the longest hair.

RancheroTheBee
October 15th, 2009, 11:11 AM
My motivator is my husband. He is adamant about cutting my hair! I chopped two inches off while he was at work and he was furious! Each time I try to cut it with his knowledge, he said no but I am not complaining. If it was not for him, I would still be shoulder length.

Haha, I get this, too. It's all because I told my boyfriend to not allow me to ever cut huge amounts of hair off. He takes this promise really, really, really seriously.