PDA

View Full Version : sorry I just saw something sad

natorade
October 14th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I am watching a show and there is a little girl about 7 yrs old that lost all her hair 2 years ago due to alopecia. This makes me so sad for her. I wish something like this wouldn't have happened to her. it seems so hard to believe that in this day with all out technology scientists can't find a cure for alopecia.

Amara
October 14th, 2009, 11:32 PM
That is sad. Hopefully that's one of the many things we'll work out a cure for soon. :)

Dars
October 14th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hey now....while that does suck for alopecia suffers, the milestones technology and health have reached at this point are beyond amazing. That is what is really hard to believe and how different things were not even that long ago for many people. Finding cures for illness and disease isn't an easy task. :cool:

MotherConfessor
October 14th, 2009, 11:34 PM
It is dreadful. Sometimes though there is a bright side, I had a friend with alopecia and what she did was buy a bunch of wigs, some cheap and brightly colored and some really nice ones. She always had beautiful hair and got to have a different cut, color and style anytime she wanted. I'm not saying its not terrible and hard, but I hope somebody gets that kid a really fun princess wig.

ambychelle
October 15th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I have a 7 year old DD and while I know she would mourn her hair, I also know that it would be a lot easier at that age than as a teenager, or even an adult. I look at it sort of like losing a limb. Children seem to cope with it better than a teenager or even adult. My DH lost a leg in a car accident as a teenager and he struggles horribly with his self-image even though he had awesome parents. It's just that 16 years old is a very self-defining time ya know? Hopefully she has parents than can foster an excellent self image and she lost her hair early enough that it won't affect how she feels about her person.

I know I've used my hair as a crutch. When I didn't like the way I looked anywhere else.. my weight, my nose etc.. I have always liked my hair. Now that it's falling out, I feel ugly and unworthy and unloveable many days. I think if I'd lost my hair as a child, I might be envious of others with hair, but I wouldn't feel the same depth of emotion over it as I do now.