PDA

View Full Version : hair extensions

natorade
October 14th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Has anyone had pinch braid hair extensions done? If so can you tell me your experience with them. Was there any damage to your real hair?

Bene
October 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I've never had any extensions, but I imagine that for anything to stay on, it would have to be pretty tight. That's got to cause some sort of damage.

ericthegreat
October 14th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Hey natorade. :flower: I am a budding hairstylist and I have done fusion hair extensions on a few of my clients, the ones where you attach tiny bundles of extension hair about a 1/2 away from the roots of your real hair.

Now I know that pinch braid extensions are different than fusion hair extensions, but one thing I can tell you right off the bat is that ANY FORM of hair extension method is somewhat damaging or at least compromising to the health of your hair. Your hair follicles are naturally designed to only handle its own weight, not much more. ALL KINDS of hair extensions either bond, weave or braid in several times the amount of extension hair to your real hair. Your real hair would thus have to deal with both its own weight plus now all the additional weight of all that extension hair. Even under the best of circumstances, getting extensions would increase the fallout rate of your hair.

Most celebrities who constantly get extensions are permanently stuck with chin length or at best shoulder length as their real hair length. This is because over frequent use of extensions can even lead to bald spots or bald patches.

If you truly want to try out extensions without the damage, their are the clip in hair extensions. I know Jessica Simpson has her own line of them. I won't link it here since LHC rules forbid that kind of thing, but you can google her. Also certain Sally Beauty Supply stores sell them too, you can look there as well.

inertia
October 14th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I've had pinch-braided extensions twice, for about 1.5 months each time. It's the most common extension technique in Japan.

I think I may have lost some hair in certain areas depending on the placement of the extensions. The extra weight and tight braids pull at the roots, and not all hair can handle it. My hair is mostly medium or coarse in texture and quite strong, and in most areas I don't think I lost much more hair than usual. However, my hair is much finer near the hairline, and it seemed like the extensions in those areas probably pulled a lot out. It also seemed like I lost more as the roots grew out. After a month, I had 1 cm of loose hair at the roots before the braids started, and those loose roots didn't feel like they were supporting the extension well, and also tended to get tangled and matted with the shed hairs which hadn't been able to fall out normally.

So I lost some hair, but for the relatively short time I had the extensions it wasn't enough to matter IMO. However, I think it would be a different story if I'd had extensions for a longer time. And I suspect that people with fine or fragile hair might notice hair loss quite quickly.

By the way, the braids were uncomfortable as hell and I hated them. It hurt non-stop for the first week and then settled into ongoing discomfort after the roots had grown out a little. Washing was always painful because of the weight, and that never got any better. After the 2nd time I had extensions, I vowed "never again" and settled down to be patient as my own hair grew.

natorade
October 15th, 2009, 11:24 PM
thank you for the responses. I guess I will just try clip in extensions if my hair is long enough for them.

Addy
October 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I would avoid the more perminant extensions over the clip ins... least you could take those out.

I have seen some girls without their extensions and their hair is very thin and broken until their next install.

ilovelonghair
October 16th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Hey natorade. :flower: I am a budding hairstylist and I have done fusion hair extensions on a few of my clients, the ones where you attach tiny bundles of extension hair about a 1/2 away from the roots of your real hair.

Now I know that pinch braid extensions are different than fusion hair extensions, but one thing I can tell you right off the bat is that ANY FORM of hair extension method is somewhat damaging or at least compromising to the health of your hair. Your hair follicles are naturally designed to only handle its own weight, not much more. ALL KINDS of hair extensions either bond, weave or braid in several times the amount of extension hair to your real hair. Your real hair would thus have to deal with both its own weight plus now all the additional weight of all that extension hair. Even under the best of circumstances, getting extensions would increase the fallout rate of your hair.

Most celebrities who constantly get extensions are permanently stuck with chin length or at best shoulder length as their real hair length. This is because over frequent use of extensions can even lead to bald spots or bald patches.

If you truly want to try out extensions without the damage, their are the clip in hair extensions. I know Jessica Simpson has her own line of them. I won't link it here since LHC rules forbid that kind of thing, but you can google her. Also certain Sally Beauty Supply stores sell them too, you can look there as well.

The damage is true, and maybe for some people more and some less, depending on how strong their hair is.
I have had weavings and the entensions with the hot glue kind of bond and both lead to a lot of breakage for me, I would always find whole rows of short hairs in the part of my hair were I have had them.
I had them to thicken up my hair, but it eventually made my hair thinner!
I agree with Ericthegreat that the clip ins aren't so bad for your hair.

If you go for the clip in ones, if you want them to stay in really well moisten the part where you clip them in before you put them in, that helps them to stay in better. (some people use hair spray, but that of course is not so good for your hair if you do it daily)

Auksaplauke
April 28th, 2021, 02:23 AM
I had keratin fusion extensions before, it was ok nice and thicker hair. But it becomes thiner and thiner, and after it my hair becomes demages.. They cost alot now not have money for extensions, and they cost alot, so better to grow my natural hair..

Dark40
April 29th, 2021, 08:49 AM
I could never get keratin fusion or any type of fusion extensions. Because, I've heard some horror stories of them causing breakage or damage to your hair. So, when ever I get extensions I either glue them in with bonding glue. Or, go to a professional and get them sewed in. In other words, I'll get a few tracks either glued or sewed into my hair, and they last up to a good 3 months.