PDA

View Full Version : Cones and moisture

whiteisle
October 14th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I understand that cones seal the hair and the moisture inside but that also means it seals out any other moisture. So for those who regularly use cones how do you make sure your hair stays moisturized and is not drying out and becoming damaged/weak beneath the layer(s) of silicone?

I've noticed that some here with very, very long hair use silicone products so there must be something to them but I'd like to know how they assure their hair doesn't get too dry. :o

teela1978
October 14th, 2009, 07:28 PM
It depends on your hair. I don't find cones to be drying to my length personally. They just leave my hair shiny and easier to detangle.

I'd imagine that its possible to overdo it and completely seal off the cuticle... but I think that'd take more than your normal supermarket conditioner.

TheKnight'sLady
October 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I use a coney conditioner every wash and my hair used to get dry. Then I changed to using Whispering Windz soap for my shampoo (instead of SLS shampoo) and that helped. But I think for me the best thing I do to get moisture is to clarify every couple weeks. I use Suave's clarifying shampoo, then slather on a ton (and I mean a ton) of Suave or V05 conditioner and let that sit while I finish showering. Then I rinse and put a really small amount of my normal coney conditioner on and rinse. This has worked really well for me and has helped my hair become much more moisturized, even in the dry wintertime.

MsBubbles
October 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I'm sorry I don't have very very long hair so I maybe am not qualified to comment here...but I notice after about two months (I wash it every other day) my ends get a bit dry, so I wash with organic shampoo & conditioner only for about a week. It's hard during that week though because combing through afterwards is miserable and I feel like I damage my hair by doing so. But for my hair moisture-wise this seems to be the way to strike the happy medium.

Until I find something coneless with great slip for destruction-free detangling, this is the schedule I will stick with.

alys
October 14th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I'm convinced that oil removes junk from my hair - it has surfactant properties. I use cones and I also do med-heay oilings the nights before washings. Maybe about 4-6 times per month. It seems to really help me keep build up and crunchiness down.

pradabacon
October 14th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I go back and forth between cones and no cones. I used to use coney stuff most of the time (pre-LHC)and I never had any issues with dryness, only with my ends getting sticky after a while. At that point I would switch to Suave Juicy Green Apple shampoo/conditioner (SLS/no cones) for a few washes and that would take care of it.

I just use cones or not these days depending on whether I want my hair smoother (cones) or more wavy (no cones). Wavier wins most of time now...

I have been using Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition some, though...it has amodimethicone in the shampoo, no cones in the conditioner, and that combo almost seems to overmoisturize (at least on the scalp). If anyone tends toward dryness, I would recommend giving the Triple Nutrition products a try.

Roseate
October 14th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I never experienced extra dryness from cones.

I don't use them now because my scalp can't take the SLS needed to remove them, but I don't think they really create a completely hermetic seal over the hair. My hair tends to be dry anyway, so I notice right away when products dry it out more. Non-fatty alcohol dries my hair like crazy, as do some of the polymers in most gels, but cones? Not a problem.

Maybe it could happen if you use a lot of serums, which are pretty much pure dimethicone; I could imagine if you really layer it on maybe it could cause a problem. But regular use of a coney conditioner doesn't seem to do it.

juliaxena
October 15th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I find this theory fascinating because I never had a problem with moisture not getting to my hair because of cones. When I first heard it i wanted to use a coney serum for the beach. Guess what, the salty water still got right into my hair and made its mess. Cones are not really as bad as they make them to be. Not for everybody at least. They are not this bullet proof seal.

may1em
October 15th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I think it depends on the type of cones, too. I've been mostly cone-free for awhile, but have recently started experimenting with Organix coconut milk serum, which has two of the circular cones (cyclomethicone and ------cyclopentasiloxane) which evaporate pretty quickly. Even if your hair hates dimethicone, which mine mine, it might not hate all cones.

For the record, I usually put a more moisturizing leave-in on first.

Curlsgirl
October 15th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I was cone free for a pretty good while pretty much and recently have started using them again because of tangling with the length. I just make sure I use a watered down sulfate poo and have no problem at all at least so far. I don't expect to. I think the key is keeping the cones from building up.

Buddaphlyy
October 15th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Silicone is not cement. It doesn't seal the hair all that much and it definitely wears off. There are cones in my shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, and then I use a glossing polish (a cone is the second ingredient on the list) to seal and my hair feels fantastic. My hair was driest in the summer when I was using Suave Naturals, a glycerin spray and oils to seal.

3azza
October 15th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I love cones, i tried to live without them and i could not. i use oil, henna, dont use heat or dye and i protect my hair from wind and sun by keeping them bunned or braided or in a scarf. All of these measurements on their own don't stop tangles. my hair feels best with cones. it's naturally dry and tangly. cones make it less dry and tangly. every 2 weeks i switch to cone free shampoo and conditioner to clarify in case cones build up in my hair.

Darkhorse1
October 15th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Garnier triple nutrition made my hair horrid! Dry, dry, dry and had some residue on it.

For me, Pantene color renewel conditioner is awesome. I wonder if it's because I work outside that cone products work well for me. I don't use a lot and I always use a clarifying shampoo, so I don't get build up. (I have oily scalp)

Cones really --I can't see it building up on your hair--well, you'd have to use huge quantities and not shampoo the ends to see a lasting effect. Plus, the levels in conditioner are probably no where near what it's like in other products. I wrote an article about cones.

Cones aren't the anti-christ, but rather a product that your hair either likes or doesn't. :) I can't see it sealing out moisture, or else those who used these products would never have wet hair, as it would seal out water. Trust me, when it rains, my hair gets wet. :D

Sheltie_Momma
October 15th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I don't use cones in my shampoo or conditioner, but I do use a coney leave in. I rinse with ACV every so many shampoos, seems to be fine. For me, being able to comb and control and enjoy my hair takes precedent over anything else and that means some cone usage.

Wicked Princess
October 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I use a cone-filled serum. I don't use it on all of my hair, but the last few inches started to get a little hard to detangle and I became fearful that I would suffer from breakage and splits if I didn't help it with something! I tried everything...oil, detangling it with none-cone conditioner, etc. Finally, I gave up and got a serum for my ends. My hair is much happier now!

All my other hair products are sulfate and cone free. Between deep treatments, oil, and loading my hair up with conditioner, my hair seems to be getting the moisture it wants. :D My splits and breakage have cut down drastically, too.

girlcat36
October 15th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Cones=death for my hair!
I have been trying to grow my hair for 18 years. I thought it wouldn't grow, but it was actually breaking off because it was so dry from overuse of coney products. I have been cone-free for almost three years, and am finally gaining some length(it would be longer, but I lost some hair to cancer 2 years ago).
While using cone products, most of the time my hair looked like it was 2b, dried out and frizzy.
Since giving up cones, I am 3a/b.

It depends on your hair type. My hair is fine, fragile, and porous.

klcqtee
October 15th, 2009, 09:29 PM
<snip!>

I just use cones or not these days depending on whether I want my hair smoother (cones) or more wavy (no cones). Wavier wins most of time now...

Does not using cones generally lead to more waviness, or does it vary from person to person? Anyone else want to way in?

teela1978
October 16th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Does not using cones generally lead to more waviness, or does it vary from person to person? Anyone else want to way in?

I find that my hair is a bit wavier without cones. It can get weighed down too, I often switch between non-cone and coney conditioners as it can end up pretty limp with straight cones for too long.

prittykitty
October 16th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I find that my hair is a bit wavier without cones. It can get weighed down too, I often switch between non-cone and coney conditioners as it can end up pretty limp with straight cones for too long.
I wish cones left my hair more relaxed and straighter but they don't. Mine seems more frizzy and dry if I use cones.

Elphie
October 16th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Cones make my hair nearly 1a straight and can make my length feel really dry after the first day so I usually stick to using conefree products.