PDA

View Full Version : How to achieve this hair look?

tom19891
October 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone could tell me what to do to my hair to get this look (http://jaded4good.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/old-gabriel-aubry.jpg)?(sorry for the huge picture! and the fact its not particularly long, but I'm hoping to use this look on my current long hair):

I currently have just past shoulder length black curly (afro-esque) hair, which I usually straighten so I can probably get the shape, its just the colouring, is his just black hair with blonde highlights? or blonde hair dyed black, can I go from pure black hair to this? or will it just look like black hair with streaks in? he seems to have a nice overall colour, rather than just highlights.

Cheers :)

LittleOrca
October 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hmm... without using a lot of products... wash it, towel dry it, add a little oil, ruffle with fingers, don't comb it?

With products... well, I don't really use sprays or mousses or gels or anything anymore, so I don't know. :)

lora410
October 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
It looks layered, so that would be your first step. you would have to have some waves. Then you can just do what Littleorca suggested.

Alexannee10
October 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I don't know, but this guy is SEXY !! loll :)

heatherdazy
October 14th, 2009, 11:44 PM
First, you should know that would be a VERY high maintenance look for your hair.

Second, his hair isn't black, it's colored to a level 6 with either a shadow cast on his head (hair just photographs that way sometimes) or level 4 regrowth and yes, a few skinny highlights, mostly focused around the face. If your hair is truly black, you will need to do an all over color with a high lift formula, then add highlights.

A flat iron will not make your hair look like this... his hair is fine and appears to have been blowdried with a round brush for more body.

I can't imagine why you would choose a look so completely opposite from your own hair... my suggestion is to keep looking!

Gypsy
October 14th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Why does anyone want their hair to look a certain way (or lighten to a color not naturally occurring)?
Because they want to and it's only for them to decide. It was already stated the OP's hair is straightened so this isn't anything the OP doesn't already do and plenty of people here color their their hair in various ways so I'm not seeing the problem with this particular case.
I myself have flat ironed and chemically colored my hair EVERY color out there (including platinum), so it's kind of offensive to hear "it's not for you because it's not your natural hair".
the OP was looking for advice, not discouragement.

heatherdazy
October 15th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Look, I'm a hairstylist. I make my living off of changing people's natural color and texture. I'm in no way suggesting anyone should have to live with their natural hair if they don't care for it. I know from experience how much upkeep this will require, both in time and money at the salon, plus styling every day at home.

This hairstyle looks great because it was designed to make the best of this man's hair and face, not because the style itself is particularly exceptional.

tom19891
October 18th, 2009, 03:33 AM
thanks for the replies people :) So, looks like I'll have to go for an overall colouring then. Does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to go from black to a level 6?

Cheers.