PDA

View Full Version : How did Diabetes help my hair? (daughter's diagnosis)

HeatherLarsen
October 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Hello Everyone,

As some of you know my daughter (who is 5) was diagnosed with Type one diabetes last year on November 17th. I wanted to take a second to tell you how my daughter's diabetes helped me with my hair journey. On November 18th (the day after she was diagnosed) I decided to stop coloring and cutting my hair until they found a cure for my daughter. I quit a rigorous cycle of 8 years of coloring, cutting and damaging my hair. I don't know how I have resisted the urge to touch it but somehow my daughters daily strength has made patience more important to me.

So here is the thing. I made a video for my daughter that is very special to me that I wanted to share with some of you whom I have talked to who about how they have been touched by T1D.

I am NOT soliciting money, I don't want anything but to share an important message with you in hope that you will all hug your little ones a little tighter tonight.

Thanks for the great friendship and support I have received from many of you.

Funny thing is this year we will celebrate my daughters "diabetes birthday" and my "long hair birthday" together in a really strange birthday party.

*Link removed*

Flaxen
October 14th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I am truly, truly sorry for your daughter's diagnosis, but that video is an ad for fundraising, and it is not permitted by the very Terms of Service every member agrees to when they sign up at TLHC.

With over 20,000 members here, there are multitudes of heartbreaking family stories, and members could easily donate every dime they have and still not be able help everyone who deserves it. How do we ever decide?

This thread may stay open to discuss loved ones with Diabetes and any hair care related information. :flower:

HeatherLarsen
October 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I cannot believe this. I am completely disturbed by this. I said in the post "I AM NOT SOLICITING" People are allowed to post links to their Etsy's and online stores but I cannot post a diabetes video!

Longlocks3
October 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I think that's a beautiful story about you and your daughter. I wish her good health and happiness. :flower:

HeatherLarsen
October 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Also for the record I read the rules over again before I posted this thread to MAKE SURE I wasn't going to do something wrong. So you are saying that anyone who posts ANY video that has a link in it? I demand that someone honestly compares this to everyone else's self promotion links!

HeatherLarsen
October 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
The only thing in the video is a web address for JDRF.org

JamieLeigh
October 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Maybe now that we have all seen your posts, we can PM you and you can share, with all who let you know that they are interested, a link to the video that way? I don't think there is anything against the rules about PM-ing info like this. I would be very happy to help with your cause, but I do not want anyone to break the rules and cause anyone hurt feelings. Feel free to send me a PM with your information. :flower:

For what it's worth, diabetes runs in my family, so I understand what you guys are going through - it's so difficult when a child is affected by something like this, and I couldn't even begin to imagine how scared I'd be if one of my kids were diagnosed, even though it's a real possibility. :grouphug:

Fractalsofhair
October 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I think the rule is against organizations asking for money, or for a person creating a post asking for money with their self interest. As your daughter has diabetes, you would clearly be interested in finding a cure for it. I don't the mods are against your post in particular, but against the idea of setting a president. Post a link in your siggie, I'm pretty sure that that is allowed!

Anyways, congrats on the hair anniversary, and I'm really sorry about your daughter. I have occasional hypoglycemia, and it is not fun. Diabetes is far worse. You must remember that type 1 is rather manageable with injections of insulin(Not fun, but seizure meds a few decades ago weren't fun. Bromine isn't a good thing!). There's not a huge incentive for a cure as a result. It's that case with many problems, but at least you have a treatment. I do hope that there will be a cure someday though for all the illnesses that plague us, but treatments are better than nothing. I hope they improve T1D treatment, as seizure treatment has been improved. Taking a medication for a life isn't a big deal once it gets managed. It's not fun, but it's certainly not harmful. Just to warn you, some things cannot be cured, or cannot be cured safely(My seizures are like that.). I really hope your daughter is having a good medication dosage and all that so she feels her best! :) Hopefully some day we'll get genetic engineering down so that people who become sick can be cured of any illness with no ill effects, but I suspect that's quite a ways off.

Nevermore
October 14th, 2009, 06:25 PM
While I'm sorry about your daughter's diagnosis, I think you're forgetting that the people who run this site are permitted to run it any way they see fit. Maybe your story and request for donations would be better on a diabetes-themed forum or one where you asked the admins/mods for prior permission before putting it up.

HeatherLarsen
October 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM
What is the president... Can't post videos that have a link to a website but more everyone is than welcome to post links to their own online stores that are set up with the pure intention to SELL items for PERSONAL GAIN?

Also, I DID post this to a diabetes website. The only reason I posted the video on this forum is because I wanted to share my story with all of you in the way that I have read all of your stories about all different kinds of things on this website everyday.

I took out all of the mentions of paypal accounts that I had originally used in the youtube video for family and friends, prior to making this post to make sure it wasn't suggestive.

I don't understand how the only thing that was left in the video was a link to JDRF in case anyone wanted more information about Juvenile Diabetes.

A diabetes themed video is bound to have a diabetes related link in it for more information about the subject.

NiAosSi
Diabetes is a terrible thing. It runs in my family as well. I wish you and your daughter the best. :flower:

I agree with putting the website in your siggy.:)

nowxisxforever
Maybe now that we have all seen your posts, we can PM you and you can share, with all who let you know that they are interested, a link to the video that way? I don't think there is anything against the rules about PM-ing info like this. I would be very happy to help with your cause, but I do not want anyone to break the rules and cause anyone hurt feelings. Feel free to send me a PM with your information. :flower:

For what it's worth, diabetes runs in my family, so I understand what you guys are going through - it's so difficult when a child is affected by something like this, and I couldn't even begin to imagine how scared I'd be if one of my kids were diagnosed, even though it's a real possibility. :grouphug:

Good idea...

HeatherLarsen
October 14th, 2009, 06:40 PM
It's in the siggy

Flaxen
October 14th, 2009, 08:47 PM
The moderators and administrators request that members please contact us by email or PM to discuss any issues they have with The Guidelines, in private. :flower:

angelthadiva
October 14th, 2009, 08:56 PM
What a darling joy of a daughter you have! She is so cute. I wish you luck in finding a cure. :flower:

clairenewcastle
October 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your daughters' illness.
Healing thoughts.

Cinnamon Hair
October 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM
What is the president... Can't post videos that have a link to a website but more everyone is than welcome to post links to their own online stores that are set up with the pure intention to SELL items for PERSONAL GAIN?

Members are not allowed to post links to their own stores either. Only in siggies and 1 blog mention. They are not even allow to participate fully in threads started by other members that are about their stores.

Oh, and the word is precedent. Obama has nothing to do with the LHC.

HeatherLarsen
October 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I'm leaving. Screw you about the typo, I was typing quickly out of frustration. Way to insult me when all I was trying to do was spread awareness. GET A LIFE.

Cinnamon Hair
October 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I'm leaving. Screw you about the typo, I was typing quickly out of frustration. Way to insult me when all I was trying to do was spread awareness. GET A LIFE.

Have a nice day then!

HeatherLarsen
October 14th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Eat a bag of ***** then!

Bene
October 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
wow... just wow :bigeyes:

edit:

Wait, the whole bag at once or one at a time?

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

Cinnamon Hair
October 14th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Eww Bene, I've seen that on Fear Factor. So not my thing. I couldn't even do a rocky mountain oyster.

Lexy
October 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
OK, enough.