PDA

View Full Version : I was scared, but I just trimmed using the Feye method!

Longlocks3
October 14th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I don't cut my hair on a schedule. I cut when it gets hard to comb/brush at the ends. It happens like once or twice a year. It happened today after not trimming since February-ish.

So I called around town. I explained carefully that I didn't want a wash(too risky, I'm no cone), and that it was less than a inch trim. I was told by several salons that it would be $17+!

Now I understand hair stylist do this for a living and need to make money at their job, but really? It takes less than 15 minutes to trim my hair. I was once told by a stylist that me and guys getting buzz cuts were the fastest hair cuts!

So I used Feye's method for blunt cuts. I was very nervous, since the last time I cut my own hair; I was in the third grade and ended up with bangs about an inch long...

It turned out well. I'd post pictures but I took so little off that it's not noticeable in pictures. And it's much much much easier to comb now. I took maybe half an inch, probably less.

I don't encourage everyone to self trim though! At my length I never wear it down so if I messed up I'd be the only one to see it.

But those of you interested, here's the link! It took a bit to find it in the threads.

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

JamieLeigh
October 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Glad you found something that works for you! I finally managed to make it work for me, for my miniscule trims of _ <---that much, every few weeks. Lol. :)

JCFantasy23
October 14th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I trimmed for the first time the other week with this method and it seems to have worked well :)

pepperminttea
October 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I'm planning to try this next time I'm due for a trim (around December, I think). Nice to hear about it working well! :)

Robinlyn
October 14th, 2009, 05:29 PM
So happy this worked for you! I do microtrims to keep my hemline clean and I use this method! I was so scared at first as well. Just remember to always cut a little at a time!! :)

angelthadiva
October 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
I have been searching this site for her instructions!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, girlfriend!! It's bookmarked! ;)

Brat
October 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
I did it once, didn't really follow any instructions, just held my breath and went for it. But, my hair is curly and I didn't take off much, so it wasn't noticeable! Congrats on saving some money, I always felt a small trim like that was way overpriced!

clairenewcastle
October 23rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Glad to hear it worked!
I'm trying to avoid trimming at the moment (still snipping at the split ends though) but when the need to do so arises in the future I intend to try this method.

MandaMom2Three
October 23rd, 2009, 11:55 PM
It doesn't seem to work very well on me :p . I end up with a nice blunt hemline until I get to the right side, then it makes a sharp angle UP a few inches!! You can see it in my most recent length shot (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1985&pictureid=53449)lol.

Rivanariko
October 23rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
I was terrified the first time I tried self-trimming! It worked out alright though, and I don't think I'll go back to having other people do it for a long time, unless I suddenly decide I want something completely different. I'm glad it worked for you as well!

rchorr
October 24th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I love Feye's method. I've been using it for years.

RCHORR'

ktani
October 24th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I agree completely. It is the best method ever. I have done it a few times now and I get perfect results each time.

metalgypsy85
October 24th, 2009, 09:47 AM
It's my favorite method. When my hair is past shoulder length, unless I chop it all off, I use the self trim method. I never noticed any massive unevenness in my hair that anyone else has noticed, so I'm comfortable with it.

angelthadiva
October 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
It doesn't seem to work very well on me :p . I end up with a nice blunt hemline until I get to the right side, then it makes a sharp angle UP a few inches!! You can see it in my most recent length shot (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1985&pictureid=53449)lol.

It's hard notice the unevenness you are referring to in this photo. You seem to have a slight angle with your body position (ie not a full on, straight back photo)...To me, you are slightly off center on the left side.

Did you re-trim, or did you leave it alone?

I've been considering doing a trim, but I have not made up my mind yet. I am thinking of using this method the next time I have DH do a trim for me.

Longlocks3
October 24th, 2009, 11:03 AM
One thing is that it does seem to work better/is easier to do the longer your hair is. I could see it being a problem if my hair was shorter than waist.

angelthadiva
October 24th, 2009, 11:16 AM
One thing is that it does seem to work better/is easier to do the longer your hair is. I could see it being a problem if my hair was shorter than waist.

I was thinking the same thing!

Delila
October 24th, 2009, 12:41 PM
This thread prompted me to get out to Sally's for a new pair of hair cutting shears, my other pair seems to have vanished.

Trim nicely complete, my first since March? (well, that's what the records in my blog say so I suppose it's true.

I seem to be right at classic, whee!

FWIW, I started doing my self trims when my hair was about at BSL, or maybe a tad longer. I'm not sure how I'd have managed it at shorter lengths. For me, the main hurdle was getting over my own timidity about trimming myself at all.

katydid317
October 24th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Glad to hear it worked for you! I've already decided when it's trim time for me to do it myself, but I have never cut my own hair before. I just don't want to pay money for a tiny trim. I've looked at Feye's method but I think I am leaning toward the layers method, where you put your hair in a ponytail on top of your head.

I haven't trimmed since my last cut in Feb and I haven't done any S&D either. I have no idea how to find split ends. Or rather, I don't feel like taking the time to search for them.

angelthadiva
October 24th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Okay, I bit the bullet and did a trim, then trimmed a little more and a bit more. With each snip I gathered a little more courage. Thankfully DH was within shouting distance just in case I needed him. He may be fired now; since I did such a great job all on my own. I wish I had enough nerve to cut back to my shortest layer which is about half way between waist and classic length.

I'll have to have DH help me measure my current length, but prior to the trimming, I was at 45.5". I would not be surprised if I cut 1.5" though. It was hard to tell w/the multiple micro trims...My ends, though feel fantastic and are much thicker...Which was what I was going for.

windinherhair
October 24th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I think I will be nervous too. I am debating on a trim coming up soon, just don't know when yet. My ends seem to be thinning, but I think it is just my hair getting longer and my layers trying to catch up, and they can't do that until I start trimming!

Longlocks3
October 24th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Oh yes, it is very good to have great self control when trimming! It's sooooo easy to say 'well I'll just take a little more' and trim off too much. I go in with a plan!

Liat
October 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM

angelthadiva
October 24th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I had DH measure for me. I actually cut off 2.5" :o I really needed it though. I have layers that are growing out and a goal of mine is to have a full, blunt hem line. I'm also growing out bleached highlight damage which caused a lot of breakage. I wish I had the nerve to just do a major chop to my longest layer, but I can't :wail:

Longlocks3
October 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I had DH measure for me. I actually cut off 2.5" :o I really needed it though. I have layers that are growing out and a goal of mine is to have a full, blunt hem line. I'm also growing out bleached highlight damage which caused a lot of breakage. I wish I had the nerve to just do a major chop to my longest layer, but I can't :wail:

Aww, it's okay! I need to cut off way more than of my ends to get rid of a stupid layer and some hair loss I had. I figure, since I always wear my hair up, no one knows but me!

angelthadiva
October 24th, 2009, 09:04 PM
How much did you end up cutting? I'm happy with my results, and like you, I wear mine up all the time. We were at about the same length the last time I saw you...

Whimsical wind
October 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I ummed and ahhed for weeks before I self trimmed. But when I did it I was really happy with it. That being said, I'm no perfectionist.

eternallyverdan
October 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I tried feye's method and it... didn't go so well. I'm sure that it was all user error, but my ends definitely ended up pretty wonky (you can see it in all of my recent length shots including my sig pic). I'm glad it worked for you, though! It might be a while before I get up the courage to try it again.

angelthadiva
October 24th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I tried feye's method and it... didn't go so well. I'm sure that it was all user error, but my ends definitely ended up pretty wonky (you can see it in all of my recent length shots including my sig pic). I'm glad it worked for you, though! It might be a while before I get up the courage to try it again.

Holy smokes, woman! I lurve your Avatar! :drool:

eternallyverdan
October 24th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Holy smokes, woman! I lurve your Avatar! :drool:

Thanks! :D It's actually not that hard to do; it's just time-consuming. I think that it was Eresh that made it, and directions are in the article section if you ever want to try it (it's here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=145).

</hijack>

Longlocks3
October 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM
How much did you end up cutting? I'm happy with my results, and like you, I wear mine up all the time. We were at about the same length the last time I saw you...

I think I cut off like an inch and half? Maybe.

I wouldn't do my own self trim if I was getting anymore than like 4 or 5 inches though. I'd leave that to professionals!

angelthadiva
October 25th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks! :D It's actually not that hard to do; it's just time-consuming. I think that it was Eresh that made it, and directions are in the article section if you ever want to try it (it's here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=145).

</hijack>

Thanks for sharing this, I checked out her videos...Wow, I actually got lost there for about 20 minutes...Gotta focus on the paper I'm working on! :o

eresh
October 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry to have distracted you :D

angelthadiva
October 25th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I'm sorry to have distracted you :D

Whew, you are quite the sleuth! ;) Maybe you are stalking me :run: LOL!! No, it's not your fault I'm easily distracted by long hair, hair toys and updos :o

MandaMom2Three
October 25th, 2009, 07:50 PM
It's hard notice the unevenness you are referring to in this photo. You seem to have a slight angle with your body position (ie not a full on, straight back photo)...To me, you are slightly off center on the left side.

Did you re-trim, or did you leave it alone?

I made it easier to see, here

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/MandyTFM/oops.jpg

if you could see it in person it is VERY noticible :p . I'm NOT going to trim it even as I'd loose way too much length (it's a good 2 or 3 inches, and I've lost too much ground as it is!) I'm REALLY going to try not to trim anymore than 1/2 inch 3 or 4 times a year and it will only be off the bottom, so it will catch up eventually.

angelthadiva
October 25th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I made it easier to see, here

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/MandyTFM/oops.jpg

if you could see it in person it is VERY noticible :p . I'm NOT going to trim it even as I'd loose way too much length (it's a good 2 or 3 inches, and I've lost too much ground as it is!) I'm REALLY going to try not to trim anymore than 1/2 inch 3 or 4 times a year and it will only be off the bottom, so it will catch up eventually.

Aw, I see what you mean now :(

MandaMom2Three
October 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Aw, I see what you mean now :(

:shrug: meh, it's ok. I took that pic when my hair was straightend, THANKFULLY it's normally too wavy to tell unless you REALLY look, but if I wear pigtails (I wear braided piggies to bed) you can really see one is way shorter than the other lol

biosail
November 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Excellent advice !!!!
Thank you all so much!!!

beholdabeauty
November 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I just got a trim 2 weeks ago and my stylist easily convinced me to take off more than i wanted (i know, I'm a bit of a pushover), and I decided to trim my own hair from now on. I was scared to even consider it before because I don't want to mess up my hair but the link you posted gives me an idea of how to do it. Thanks for the post!

Spring
November 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM

I have to be careful, because I always end up with the right side slanting downward...

Tressie
November 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Congratulations and good for you! I know I'd be scared too, but if, and when, I ever decide to trim I will give it a go! :D

teela1978
November 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Feye's straight/blunt cut has always scared me. I do good with the U, although I don't 'clean it up' at the end, I leave it a very shallow V. Its been working well for a couple of years now.

Aero
November 19th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I suppose the more you do it the better you will get. I got sick of paying 50+ for my hair cuts and walking out with shorter hair than I really wanted.

peachrose
November 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I love self trims! Once you feel comfortable it's really comfortable, i've always had good results.