PDA

View Full Version : Classic | Fingertip | Mid-thigh | Knee

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

JamieLeigh
October 14th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I did a search and went through every page that brought up "classic" and "knee" in the original post. And found nothing like this. So....since every other length has a thread, I think we should start one for those who have reached classic and are heading on to knee.

Even if your final goal isn't necessarily knee - *cough*Amoretti*cough*;) - you're still welcome to post your thoughts, trials, routines, successes, failures and milestones. And everything else in between!

:D Just to start off, I'm about 3" past classic and I'm intending on going to knee, if my hair allows it. Right now, I'm a trimmer because I love my even hemline, but I will eventually have to leave it alone if I want to find my terminal length. I'm actually starting to get into the fairy-tale mindset already, since I've gone from loving my straight-across hem to a gentle u-shape in the past month or so. :)

maegquare
October 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Mine is the same length as yours. I'm thinking about letting it keep growing but haven't decided yet. All my life, whenever it gets about this length, I end up cutting it back to waist length. I'd like to thicken the hemline, if I can, before I let it get much longer than this, but I'm still thinking about it.

Longlocks3
October 14th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Knee is my next goal! It seems soooo far away, darn you long thighs! Knee on me would be right around 55''. I'm at about 41'' after my trim today...That's a lot to grow! Plus I'd like to maintain a blunt hemline. 14'' will take over two years, maybe like two years and two months, unless I get a stall or huge growth spurt.

Guess I'll be on this thread for a while! :D

JamieLeigh
October 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=37

The above is the link to the social group "The Long Journey from Classic to Knee", if anyone's interested who hasn't already joined it. I keep forgetting there are groups, and now that I think of it, the existence of the group is probably the reason we haven't had a thread for this on the Mane Forum. :p At least this way, with a link in here, both are easily accessible from the high-traffic section of the site. :)

Glad to see some posts in this thread!! Welcome to the party! :cheese:

Cinnamon Hair
October 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I'll be hanging out over here -------> finish line
waiting for you all. Let me know when you get here. I have cold water bottles and sweat towels to pass around.

Eniratak
October 14th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Okay, so I know this is a stupid question.
But Classic...How long does your hair have to be to be considered?
XD.

Longlocks3
October 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Okay, so I know this is a stupid question.
But Classic...How long does your hair have to be to be considered?
XD.

Like just under your bum. Where the behind meets the thighs.

Eniratak
October 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Like just under your bum. Where the behind meets the thighs.

Okay. XD. Yeah. I'm classic length then. Thank you!

Teazel
October 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'm lost somewhere in the howling wilderness of mid-thigh, with 5 inches to go until my hair reaches knee-length.

If it ever gets there. I've had a long stall; or maybe too much breakage. However, last month there was progress so I'm hoping it'll continue. Fingers crossed!

nowxisxforever
October 15th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I'm passing Classic, and a few inches down my thighs if I pull my hair straight!! I am so happy to finally be here, which was my previous goal.

Now I want to go for "term" or "when it gets too hard to handle", whichever comes sooner. I might decide to cut back to Classic or so at some point due to some old damage on my ends, but I had a veeeeery long trip down my backside to Classic and I am in no hurry to repeat that.

Irishred
October 15th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I am some where mid thigh. Haven't measured in a while. I have done one mini trim about 2 months ago and last week did a 2 inch trim. Right now I am just letting it do. I have been thinking about taking it back up to classic or possibly waist but I have been "thinking" on that for 4 months and have yet to do it :lol:

No goal just growing.

Irishred
October 15th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Now I want to go for "term" or "when it gets too hard to handle", whichever comes sooner.

My only problem with terminal is that I link my hemline to be a blunt smile (gentle U), not sure if I can do fairy tail. As for "hard to handle" - mid thigh is getting hard to handle. Things like separating braid sections when the ends decide to tangle and you can't reach them with one hand while holding the section already started.

nowxisxforever
October 15th, 2009, 06:32 AM
My only problem with terminal is that I link my hemline to be a blunt smile (gentle U), not sure if I can do fairy tail. As for "hard to handle" - mid thigh is getting hard to handle. Things like separating braid sections when the ends decide to tangle and you can't reach them with one hand while holding the section already started.

Ah, my hemline is pretty fairytaley as it is, I don't do blunt or shaped trims (don't like the look of them, esp on myself). I have some old fringe that grew out when I was growing my hair, and that's the shortest bits on the sides (it just doesn't want to grow in general...so weird...), and the longest bits in the middle. My shortest bits go to about my waist, longest to ~classic. :)

Angela_Rose
October 15th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Hi! I'm past-classic now, and sitting at thigh length. Thigh for me is about 44" and I am shooting for Knee or Terminal, whichever comes first. I hope Knee comes first! The inch-length for knee for my tall, long-legged self is 60". That strikes me as really funny; I'm on 69" tall myself!

I'm trying to maintain a blunt hemline but my hair seems to insist upon fairytale ends and I'd rather not cut it back. I do a 1/2" trim twice a year, with some S&D along the way.

Darya
October 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I'm also currently in the "thigh expanse", had loads of breakage soon after hitting classic (moved, new job, new hair care routine) but I seem to be picking up some more growth lately. My goal now is knee but we'll see after that as it seems to be hitting a length that I'm having to change my updos and detangling routine.

Xandergrammy
October 15th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I'm a little below classic. I love my fairy tale ends and am shooting for knee or terminal, whichever comes first. I'm a non-trimmer and am growing out hair dye. I'm happy to see this thread.

And thanks, Cinnamon Hair, for cheering us on!! :cheer:

GeoJ
October 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I am currently a little more than 3 inches past classic, and I am hoping my hair will grow to knee length.

Knee length on me is about 51 inches, 6 inches away. Last year my hair grew 7.5 inches, so if good growth continues I could make it there next year even with a couple of small trims! Eventually I will have to spend a few years maintaining my length, because the regrowth after my postpartum shed almost four years ago needs to catch up.

Loreley
October 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
My hair is past classic when it's wet. When it's dry, it's about 1-2 inches above classic. I want straight hair!!! Then it'd be official I've reached classic length... Now my goal is thigh length but I've been thinking about growing it to my knees for a while. I'm a trimmer and when I'll reach thigh I want to make my ends thicker. I hope I'll reach that in a year or so. :cheese:

PS: This is a very good thread. :D

Themyst
October 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I am currently mid-thigh. I haven't updated my pictures in a while, so I took one yesterday to post but was shocked at how separated the ends looked (and how big my butt was!). I was so disgusted that I can't even bring myself to post the pic. Now, it was half-wet, so maybe that's why. I am going to wait until I wash it again and it is completely dry, then I will take another pic to assess. And in the meantime, double-time on the treadmill and no Friday night pizza!

KatKeRo
October 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I'm at classic and was thinking of growing to mid tigh. I don't know if I want to grow to knee although I often dream I have a kneelength braid.
My hair is fairytailing like crazy but it started doing this when I reached BSL. My hemline still looks fairly thick.

harpgal
October 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I am just short of 53 inches and at lower thigh. Knee is 55 inches. I definitely have a taper going on but I still trim every 3 months. My plan (that's a new one for me :grin:) is to maintain at knee.

Hair this length is a challenge. It is beyond the reach of my hands and combing has become a several stage event. The ends tangle. As a matter of fact, the whole thing tangles. I'm not sure I like this length but it is fun to see if I can get to knee length once in my life. Classic is still my favorite.

St.Germain
October 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I've been at classic seemingly forever. It's grown a few inches, but still not enough to call it thigh. Good thing I'm patient.

eresh
October 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I'm a little bit past knee, and maintaining there for a while to let the shorter hairs catch up.
And hopefully get a fuller hemline.
My final goal is ankle, but for now I'm sticking with knee :)

Amoretti
October 15th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Even if your final goal isn't necessarily knee - *cough*Amoretti*cough* - you're still welcome to post your thoughts, trials, routines, successes, failures and milestones. And everything else in between!

:lol: Jamie Leigh! :D

Well, I'm already back at thighs after 2 recent trims back to classic from mid thigh. As usual, I have no idea where I'm heading but I'm enjoying having thick, blunt ends again after so long.

My new fave conditioner is Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. The evil Dove is jealous but will just have to deal. ;)

MemSahib
October 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
IF I thought my hair would be OK at knee, I might try it. But it is already wimping out on the ends at classic. And like Harpgal's, it tangles pretty bad unless I comb very carefully. I'm afraid it would be a big, enormous mess.

JamieLeigh
October 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM
waiting for you all. Let me know when you get here. I have cold water bottles and sweat towels to pass around.

See ya in a couple of years!! :p lol

girlcat36
October 16th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Cool thread!
I am nowhere near classic(may never get there!), but I will be haunting this thread to see all the beautiful classic and beyond hair! :D

HairColoredHair
October 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I just hit knee-proper (I think) which is about 55" on me.

I've given thought to maintaining a while, but I doubt I'll muster the gumption to actually trim. Especially when I consider how old my ends are, it'll thicken when the better treated hair grows out. (My ends about probably about 7-8 years old! In 2001 I was still treating my hair badly.... until about October, 2005 :lol: )

Finoriel
October 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I´m about 4" away from kneelength and it seems I need to re-learn how to comb it :lol:. Just now I´m at the stage of ´entertaining acrobatics´ when combing, but I´m sure there must be a better way to detangle it, even though my hair is longer than my arms can reach. :knuckle:I obviously need to grow longer arms.
Otherwise I´m in benign neglect mode since hmmm forever. I mostly ignore my hair and it grows :p pretty much perfect imo.

HairColoredHair
October 16th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I generally comb my hair while sitting, with the hair on one leg, until I get up to the length that won't touch my leg, obviously. :lol:

vindo
October 16th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I don't know where I will grow...I'm just about 1" below classic but I will go for upper thigh.
How far I will go I can never say until I actually see the length on me.
Also I still have 20% layers and 45% chem. dye in my lengths...so I can not say yet wheather the taper will improve when that is gone. So far my virgin hair seems a bit thicker but I am unsure wheather this will be noticeable all the way towards the ends.
I know I can have nice ends at TB...I'm optimistic they could be semi blunt at classic length. But further? I have no idea.
(It is not just the very ends...my whole lengths gradually taper and my hair is an "i" starting at midback.)

justme
October 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I was at 56" (tippy tips only) which is knee length on me. Then I cut off 10" and am now at classic, but with blunt, much thicker ends. I'm looking forward to growing again to knees and/or beyond, this time trimming to keep the ends blunter. It'll probably take 2 years or so, unless I get extra growth or stall months.

My shortest length growing out from both a regrowth period and face-framing fringe is 12", so that'll take a great deal longer to catch up if I let it - maybe 9 years. Right now I am planning on letting all of it grow, but I reserve the right to change my mind! ;)

Igor
October 17th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I’m at a mid thigh and I have no idea how long I’m going to let it grow :lol:

It’s funny, because I have never felt so “at home” with my hair and length as I am now. Did that make any sense?

JamieLeigh
October 19th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Igor - makes perfect sense to me! :D I had mine nearly knee once before, but it was fairytaling and the thickest part was from about an inch below tailbone til classic. I have been wanting to be back here where I am now for ages, and I'm happy now that it's happened and in MUCH better shape than the last time.

It's fun to see how many other people are still stuck in the Great Thigh Expanse. ;)

harpgal
October 20th, 2009, 01:56 PM
It's fun to see how many other people are still stuck in the Great Thigh Expanse. ;)I admit....I'm always a little on the shy side when someone asks me how long my hair is. I mean, saying "thigh" length sounds sort of....well....goofy. Thigh covers about 10-12 inches, so there isn't any defined spot and it seems weird to me. At least knee is a particular spot.

JamieLeigh
October 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
I admit....I'm always a little on the shy side when someone asks me how long my hair is. I mean, saying "thigh" length sounds sort of....well....goofy. Thigh covers about 10-12 inches, so there isn't any defined spot and it seems weird to me. At least knee is a particular spot.

I usually just say "It stops a little past my butt". LOL. You're right - thigh is a long area, and it really doesn't help people get a true mental picture, if they ask.

OR Cowgirl
October 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Count me in too! I'm hoping to reach knee by my next birthday, in July. Hopefully, I'll be able to trim once or twice between now and then!

Longlocks3
October 23rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
I'm already inpatient. I'm just barely classic and I want to be at knee!

Jezerellica
October 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
What a great thread!! Since my hair is growing every day and I am a very patient woman. it will not be long. Until then, I will be admiring all the beautiful hair!! What an inspiration.

I am noticing I need to get some pictures on order to see the difference. It is so fun to see others, I want to join the fun!

heidihug
October 23rd, 2009, 01:05 PM
I'm stuck at 47", have been for months, with my sadly damaged ends. It's actually just fairytail ends floating around below the butt area.

I would love to get to knee, I think it is such a nice length for the more complex updos that I want to try. I don't think I would be able to comfortably brush/detangle my hair below knew, though. It will take me a couple of years to get there what with having to trim every six months or so to nip off the broken ends and try to thicken up my almost non-existent hemline. Patience is a virtue...

ale
October 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
I don't know if I belong here exactly.
I have a narrow V-shaped hemline, with the very tip at classic length; so I can say that 10/15% of my hair is at classic and the rest is between tailbone and classic. There's a recent pic in y album.

Anyway, I have no plans of cutting, so I guess I'm going lower, if I don't hit terminal before!

Eniratak
October 23rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
I don't know if I belong here exactly.
I have a narrow V-shaped hemline, with the very tip at classic length; so I can say that 10/15% of my hair is at classic and the rest is between tailbone and classic. There's a recent pic in y album.

Anyway, I have no plans of cutting, so I guess I'm going lower, if I don't hit terminal before!

That's like my hair. Only I have fairytale ends. XD.

Feng-Shui
October 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
My length is now 48 inches.
Rather near at center thigh.

My final goal is knee length and I hopes in 1-2 years to be there.

I think two years am more realistic because I a part growth each year cut for improvement quality of my ends. :)

JamieLeigh
October 28th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Just out of curiosity, out of those between classic and knee - or also at classic OR knee - how many of you are going for terminal length?

And also how many prefer fairytale ends, a v-shape, u-shape or blunt straight across?

I'm not saying any of them look any better or healthier than any of the other options - just curious to see what you've picked for yourself. :flower:

Personally, I'm headed for terminal at some point or other, but right now I'm enjoying my trims. I've got a slight u-shape going on lately, although I usually prefer a blunt straight across cut.

Themyst
October 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Just out of curiosity, out of those between classic and knee - or also at classic OR knee - how many of you are going for terminal length?

And also how many prefer fairytale ends, a v-shape, u-shape or blunt straight across?

1. Headed for terminal.

2. Blunt ends. I'm going to have to assess and think about a trim soon, maybe, to keep it that way.

Longlocks3
October 28th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I'm headed for terminal.

I prefer blunt hemlines on myself.

heidihug
October 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I am heading for knee, and think that is about all I want at this time, but we will see when I get there. It's going to take a while, so I plan on enjoying the journey.

I have blunt fairytaled ends, if that makes any sense - I trim a bit off my fairytales every six months or so, with the hoped-for blunt and slightly U-shaped hemline a distant dream.

Xandergrammy
October 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I prefer fairy tale ends and I never trim.

I'm going for terminal.

HairColoredHair
October 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I don't trim, I'm headed toward terminal (I guess), and I like most all hemlines, but I like my own fairytales, since they make updos easier. :)

justme
October 28th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I'm enjoying my new blunt straight across ends after having fairytale ends for so long, but can appreciate all different hemlines. Although I may hit terminal, I'm not aiming for it. I'd love to get to the floor once, but really ankle is the longest I'd want for any length of time. If terminal is before that, I'll go back to where I like the hemline. If terminal is after that, I'll never see it because I'm not interested in having my own hair on the floor.

dancingmegs
October 28th, 2009, 01:53 PM
My hair is right around mid-thigh. I have blunt ends, and I trim every couple months or so. I don't have any taper at all though, so my hair maintains itself in a blunt hem.

I figure I'm headed for knee, but I don't know if I'll go past, stay there, or cut shorter. It's going to be a long while. I have looong legs and a short torso.

I love my braid at this point. It's a bit past classic length if I leave a longish tail. I actually prefer shorter hair on myself (hip to mid-butt looks good on my body), but since I never wear it down, I haven't bothered to cut it. I'm also a bit curious to see where my terminal length is.

I don't find it hard to handle at all, but then I don't actually handle it much! I just scalp wash when it's so dirty I can't deal with it anymore, and every morning I take out the braid, comb it, and re-braid. I'm boring.

akka naeda
October 28th, 2009, 02:23 PM
My hair's about knee right now because I trimmed a bit off from calf. So I guess I can be here for a few months until trimming doesn't take me back to knee:)

I'd rather the ends were blunt and as thick as possible. At the moment they're slightly too thin for my liking, so I'm dithering between maintaining at knee/calf, or seeing whether it will get to my ankles with regular trims.

Eniratak
October 28th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I prefer fairytale ends on myself.

Cinnamon Hair
October 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM
how many of you are going for terminal length?
I'm at knee length and holding. I like being able to wear my hair down around the house and knee length is pretty much my maximum length for that. Already it gets into things that it shouldn't. Maybe one day I will try for terminal, it is tempting but unlikely.

I prefer the look of a v-shape hem but on myself I have always maintained a fairytale or blunt straight across trim. Honestly, the trim has always been blunt but the amount of hairs making up the hem has been so few at times that it looks fairytale.

Stagecoach
October 28th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I'm sitting about .5-1" above knee length.

I plan to maintain at knee length or fluctuate between classic and knee. I really don't think I'm up for growing my hair longer as knee length is about all I can manage with it down or to detangle it!

KatKeRo
October 29th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I'm aiming for midtigh.
I prefer fairytail ends when they aren't to thin. If they start to get to thin I'm going to trim.

nowxisxforever
October 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I'm not sure. I'm halfheartedly going for terminal, but about half of my length is pre-LHC damage, so I might do some major trims a few times or maintain at knee. It really depends on *how long* it plans on growing, and if it becomes more difficult to care for. I know it's only gotten easier to care for as it's gotten longer, but I've never had, say, knee-length hair, so I can't say that that's not the point at which it gets harder.... :)

PrincessFurball
October 29th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I'm just past knee-length, and working on thickening up my ends. I'm going for terminal, whatever that may be, but if it ends up being past mid-calf, I will probably trim it back to that, as I think it would just be too hard to fit into my covering and take care of.

So, I guess I'll wait at the finish line with Cinnamon Hair and help her pass out the cold water and towels. :D

harpgal
October 29th, 2009, 03:05 PM

And also how many prefer fairytale ends, a v-shape, u-shape or blunt straight across?I have no plans to see what "terminal" length is on me. It just doesn't interest me in knowing. Knee is plenty long enough and probably where my hemline will taper beyond what I like, anyway. A full hemline (or as full as one can keep it) is just as appealing as length, IMHO.

I prefer a "U" shaped hemline.

GeoJ
November 1st, 2009, 08:08 AM

I am not really planning to try for terminal length (unless it happens before I reach my length goal).

On myself I prefer a blunt straight across hemline. On others I like straight, mild U-shapes, mild V-shapes, and healthy fairytale ends.

vindo
November 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM
I have a hair weight related question and I thought I should post it here :)

My hair is not very thick, a bit above the medium range, and it tapers a good deal too, but lately it has been getting pretty heavy in certain hairdo's.
I'm talking braids and ponytails, for some reason the weight of my bun does not bother me yet (lazy wrap bun is my most worn)..but my braid or ponytail really makes me feel some weight.
I also tried "dropping" them sort of and they "slap" right down with a loud flapping sound as if they were mighty heavy.
Maybe my single hairs themselves are heavy? That would be my guess, blame it on texture..

Anyone else experience this?

mira-chan
November 2nd, 2009, 08:41 AM

My hair is not very thick, a bit above the medium range, and it tapers a good deal too, but lately it has been getting pretty heavy in certain hairdo's.
I'm talking braids and ponytails, for some reason the weight of my bun does not bother me yet (lazy wrap bun is my most worn)..but my braid or ponytail really makes me feel some weight.
I also tried "dropping" them sort of and they "slap" right down with a loud flapping sound as if they were mighty heavy.
Maybe my single hairs themselves are heavy? That would be my guess, blame it on texture..

i think in big part it's slip and some part weight. Finer hair would probably slap down in a gentler fashion. My hair does not do this as it catches on itself a bit, being wavy, and kind of does this "slip, stop, slip, stop" thing. My braids ont he other hand could be lethal weapons withthe way they slap down.

And on topic with the thread. I have no goals but the longest part of my hair is 2 inches from knee, stretched.

JamieLeigh
November 2nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
I would also blame it on texture. Mine is on the fine side of medium, and the whole thing really doesn't make a slapping sound - it just does at the top. Maybe it's also due to you trimming and gaining a bit more thickness all through the length. It certainly doesn't seem to taper as much as it used to. Looks lovely. :)

Raederle
November 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Guess I'll join in the fun. When wet, I've got some strands a bit past classic, and my stated goal is terminal. My daughter had mid-thigh hair, and I'm pretty sure she got the longhair gene from me, as JR's side of the family, pictorially, doesn't show any lengths beyond about hip. I've been untrimmed for about 3 years now, but in January, I'm going with Shell for a treatment at a GM type salon. I plan to take their advice as regards trimming.

As for hemlines, that's an interesting question. Since I wear my hair up most of the time, fairytale is the easiest to deal with. But if I were to be wearing it loose, my current ends are just a bit too ethereal for my liking, and I'd prefer a U shape.

heidihug
November 2nd, 2009, 09:59 AM
Emichee, I only ever notice the weight of my hair when it is unbalanced in a bun, and it starts to pull. Other than that, I think it will be a long long time, if ever, before I have a problem with my hair weighing too much.

Hi, Raederle, I've been wondering if you would join this thread. Yes, the fairytale ends are more convenient for updos, aren't they?

Themyst
November 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
I am currently having a problem with this. But, it happens when my hair is in a bun. It's pretty long now, about mid-thigh. Even though my hair is fine, my bun gets pretty heavy and it is starting to pull the scalp hairs in the front and on top. It makes my scalp itchy and irritated, only to be relieved when I take my bun down. I must either find a way to secure my bun better or find a different hairstyle. Unfortunately, I am hairstyle incompetent. :(

harpgal
November 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
I am currently having a problem with this. But, it happens when my hair is in a bun. It's pretty long now, about mid-thigh. Even though my hair is fine, my bun gets pretty heavy and it is starting to pull the scalp hairs in the front and on top. It makes my scalp itchy and irritated, only to be relieved when I take my bun down. I must either find a way to secure my bun better or find a different hairstyle. Unfortunately, I am hairstyle incompetent. :(Themyst, one trick I have learned is to place my hands on both sides of my head after I have created a bun, and gently move my hair forward toward my face. Also, I slowly slide a hairstick up under my hair and lift a little. That really relieves the pull on the top and sides of my scalp. HTHs...:)

Themyst
November 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Themyst, one trick I have learned is to place my hands on both sides of my head after I have created a bun, and gently move my hair forward toward my face. Also, I slowly slide a hairstick up under my hair and lift a little. That really relieves the pull on the top and sides of my scalp. HTHs...:)

The hairstick is a great idea - you Enabler, you! What a great excuse to go shopping for some! :)

GeoJ
November 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
In response to Emichiee-

My braid does not make a slap sound unless it is heavily oiled or wet, but sometimes it does feel heavy. It is only uncomfortably heavy (in a pulling way) if I put it up above the level of my temples (French and Dutch braids don't count because the weight gets distributed over a greater area).

Poppy Seed
November 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Currently about mid-thigh which leaves approximately 5" to knee - so there's a chance I'll be there in about a year. Unless I hit terminal first - in as much as I have a goal, finding out where terminal is, is mine.

My ends are kind of fariytaled, although when I get SO to trim, I get a blunt hemline: I ask him to trim the longest ends until they are the same length as the shortest ends, and then take a further half centimetre off the lot. It's about 8 months since my last trim, and I thought I'd aim for tinier more frequent trims but I like to get the length! I like the fairytales for updos, but I prefer the look of a blunt or V-cut for hair down. My hair naturally grows into a V then continues to fairytale.

I've noticed that doing high-ponytails pulls and shows the weight of my hair, but since I only use that as a base for another updo, it doesn't really bother me. All my other buns nestle at the nape of my neck.

I do notice that I have to comb the ends, then the middle and then top of my hair, and if I try to run the comb through the whole length, then I must prepare to detangle!!! I do have long arms proportionally, which may account for why I haven't yet had any major troubles with combing. :)

Raederle
November 2nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hi, Raederle, I've been wondering if you would join this thread. Yes, the fairytale ends are more convenient for updos, aren't they?

Hey there, :waving: I don't venture beyond the blogs all that often, but I'm trying to participate more.

After many times putting up my daughter's hair I became impressed by anyone who could put up blunt cut hair, and, later, layered hair. It's a skill I truly lack apparently.

I'm not sure just how long hair my can be and comfortably wear it loose out and about. Around the house is one thing, but I'm thinking I won't have the patience of Cinnamon Hair to wear it loose much beyond upper thigh.

Liliana
November 3rd, 2009, 01:05 AM

Actually, I was kind of hoping for cake and ice cream?

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Feng-Shui
November 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM

I'm not saying any of them look any better or healthier than any of the other options - just curious to see what you've picked for yourself. :flower:

Personally, I'm headed for terminal at some point or other, but right now I'm enjoying my trims. I've got a slight u-shape going on lately, although I usually prefer a blunt straight across cut.

I prefer my ends as straight as possible.
If I U- form create am I also very happy.

Fairytale ends please me on other heads very well.

For me feel it thinly and I likes the feeling not with me.

I hope my genetics give me a U form.

If my ends too thinly become then I think which I my hair again back cut a daily.

But once I wish to reach at least knee length.

vindo
November 4th, 2009, 06:44 PM
i think in big part it's slip and some part weight. Finer hair would probably slap down in a gentler fashion. My hair does not do this as it catches on itself a bit, being wavy, and kind of does this "slip, stop, slip, stop" thing. My braids ont he other hand could be lethal weapons withthe way they slap down.

And on topic with the thread. I have no goals but the longest part of my hair is 2 inches from knee, stretched.

Congrats its so close to knee! :)
My braid could be used as a whip too..I actually hit my husband a few times on accident.

I would also blame it on texture. Mine is on the fine side of medium, and the whole thing really doesn't make a slapping sound - it just does at the top. Maybe it's also due to you trimming and gaining a bit more thickness all through the length. It certainly doesn't seem to taper as much as it used to. Looks lovely. :)

True I notice with less taper it seems to be more heavy ..but it is most apperent in certain hairstyles.

Emichee, I only ever notice the weight of my hair when it is unbalanced in a bun, and it starts to pull. Other than that, I think it will be a long long time, if ever, before I have a problem with my hair weighing too much.

See that is weird...its the opposite to me..maybe I am also too used to buns. I rarely wear braids or ponytails.

In response to Emichiee-

My braid does not make a slap sound unless it is heavily oiled or wet, but sometimes it does feel heavy. It is only uncomfortably heavy (in a pulling way) if I put it up above the level of my temples (French and Dutch braids don't count because the weight gets distributed over a greater area).

The looser I braid the top the more comfortable..

So after reading all these posts my conclusion would be that the straightness+M strands+rather moist hairtype just end up being a really compressed concentrated weight.
I think wavy hair would bounce back more..

Maybe I should see if I can capture the slapping sound and heavyness on a video..the sound is so funny..:lol:

heidihug
November 4th, 2009, 08:13 PM
So after reading all these posts my conclusion would be that the straightness+M strands+rather moist hairtype just end up being a really compressed concentrated weight.
Yes, that makes sense. I have to concentrate on keeping the length of my hair moisturized. It gets dry very easily if I am not careful to condition and oil after each wash, so I think it is not very weighty because of that.

I must confess that I have unintentionally swatted DH with my braid a few times when I turned to talk to him too quickly. I have to be careful, especially when wearing a decorated ponytail holder at the end.

Finoriel
November 5th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I must confess that I have unintentionally swatted DH with my braid a few times when I turned to talk to him too quickly. I have to be careful, especially when wearing a decorated ponytail holder at the end.

:D I regularly swatted my cats with my braid when giving them food in the morning. Now they learned to either wait very close to my feet or at some distance until my braid slapped down. Then and no second earlier they walk to their bowl.

Most times I handle my hair too careful to make swatting sounds, but when I don´t pay attention it sounds like that since about tailbone. I really try to avoide that though... ever looked at the end of a horsewhip? *shudder*
I never wear high ponytails since years (hiplength probably), they are just too heavy to wear comfortably and would need constant adjustment because of annoying sagging, a combination of slippery and heavy hair probably. A Knotbun with loose length (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2628&pictureid=33916) (secured with a strong elastic and two sticks or hairscroos and an armada of u-shaped pins :lol:) is the closest look to a ponytail I can comfortably wear.

vindo
November 5th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Yes, that makes sense. I have to concentrate on keeping the length of my hair moisturized. It gets dry very easily if I am not careful to condition and oil after each wash, so I think it is not very weighty because of that.

Ouch ^^

Same thing happened to me...I turned around, hubby sat on the couch and my braid went right through his eyes.
I also almost strangled myself with my braid once when diving for a volleyball...:o

Angela_Rose
November 5th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I am currently having a problem with this. But, it happens when my hair is in a bun. It's pretty long now, about mid-thigh. Even though my hair is fine, my bun gets pretty heavy and it is starting to pull the scalp hairs in the front and on top. It makes my scalp itchy and irritated, only to be relieved when I take my bun down. I must either find a way to secure my bun better or find a different hairstyle. Unfortunately, I am hairstyle incompetent. :(

Ah! This is why I can't wear a ponytail anymore. It pulls like mad against the centre of my front hairline and not only does it hurt, but it looks weird- you can see where it pulls. Ouch!:mad:

mira-chan
November 5th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks Emi. :)

Finoriel, I've hit my cat by accident too. Poor little one has learned to avoid and dodge now.

I can't wear anything by very low ponytails either now. In a bun, if I feel something pulling I will gently work a finger under the canopy hair and slowly lift it up reduce the pull.

JamieLeigh
November 5th, 2009, 09:00 AM
As far as hairstyles pulling, the only ones that really bother me are the ones that sit directly on my crown or higher. But that might have more to do with me just being unaccustomed to having hair sit up that high. Normally I just do mid-back of head or lower, because high hairstyles look funny on me (imho). :p

Irishred
November 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM

I have no real goal. I get aggravated with my length at times like my braid falling into stuff, tangles ... but then find the joy again like when the ends brush my thighs and knees when I'm combing or DH wanting to comb it :heartbeat: and WANTING to learn to braid :smooch: . I only trim every 3 to 6 months and haven't trimmed more than about 2 inches at one time MAX since I joined LHC 5 years ago. Though I have been thinking about it, I am less likely to actually trim it back very far. More length is likely ...(dreams of Crystal Gayle's hair :cloud9:)

On me, I prefer a slight U shape. Though I have a lot of taper due to pregnancy regrowth-s (the thickness is moving down) if I do go terminal, I will probably fairytale for a while at least... depends on where terminal is :)

... .but my braid or ponytail really makes me feel some weight.

I have felt the slap you are talking about. For me, it depends on 2 things, how far away from wash day and how much oil/leave-in I have used.

I also understand the weight issue with especially a braid. They don't really 'pull' it is just weight. of course if I have a headache... it comes out asap. My most worn bun is the similar to the lazy wrap - balanced and does not usually pull.

I've noticed that doing high-ponytails pulls and shows the weight of my hair, but since I only use that as a base for another updo, it doesn't really bother me. All my other buns nestle at the nape of my neck.

what bun or style is this?

I have to really moisturize especially in the fall and winter (now). I love coconut oil and I have been rotating between Aussie moist conditioner (VERY thick) and several VO5 conditioners. Unless I over oiled, I try not to 'wash' the length with shampoo but will CO the length. It will still get dry though.

I hit everythign with my braided tail. DH, kids, pets ... LOL I don't use ties with pretties except on rare occasions so it is just a scrunchie, or metal-free tie that gets them. :)

eternallyverdan
November 5th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Excellent thread!

My hair is just past classic now, and I don't really know if my goal is knee. The longest I've ever had it was about mid-thigh, and I could still reach the ends. I don't know if I'll be able to deal with it once it's past fingertip.

My ends currently have a slightly wonky U-shape, courtesy of a botched self-trim. I had fairytale ends for a few years, but I've discovered that I really like having my ends trimmed, even if it makes updos a bit more difficult.

All of my updos are at the very base of my neck, about as low as possible, and I never have any problems with pulling. I also wear my hair down fairly often, but it tangles quickly and I sometimes put it up during the day if I'm doing something where it gets in the way. My current go-to style is Spidermom's bun that stays, but I do that Cowrie Shell thing that you can do with lazy wrap buns, which looks very nice.

My haircare routine is now mostly benign neglect, and not very LHC-compliant. I use full-strength Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo on my scalp about once a week, and I do my ends with Herbal Essences conditioner. No oils or leave-ins and infrequent SMTs.

This thread is very inspirational! I'm having fun looking at all this gorgeous extra-long hair.

fae
November 5th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Thank you JamieLeigh for your invitation to this thread. I'm not entirely sure I'm growing to knee, but I might just out of sheer laziness. Har Har.

I will be keeping up with this thread to the best of my ability. And reading everyone's accounts about their journey.

JamieLeigh
November 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Thank you JamieLeigh for your invitation to this thread. I'm not entirely sure I'm growing to knee, but I might just out of sheer laziness. Har Har.

I will be keeping up with this thread to the best of my ability. And reading everyone's accounts about their journey.

You're very welcome! As I said in the original post, even if you're not necessarily sure about going to knee, you're still welcome to post. At the very least, you might pick up some tips, tricks and goodies that are relevant to classic length and longer hair. :)

heidihug
November 6th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I measured last night before my shower, and I am (finally!) at 47.5"! After months of no growth for those few hairs that are at 47", finally I am seeing some progress. I will give it another couple of months before I do a mini-trim on those ends to even them up a scoonch.

The journey continues...

JamieLeigh
December 20th, 2009, 01:00 AM
How many of us between classic and knee still wear hair down frequently? For most of us, classic marked the point where we sat on at least an inch or two of our hair - some of us before classic, some of us after - so does this make you wear it up more? And do you see more damage at these longer lengths than you did when it was shorter than classic?

The reason I ask - I'm trying to gain length and thickness at the same time. Usually this has worked pretty well, as my hair grows fairly quickly. But I'm finding that the longer I get, the thinner my ends are and from my S&D sessions, I'm finding that some of it is breakage down there. I try to wear it up as much as possible - that really hasn't changed since I started to have kids 8 years ago. So I'm wondering what the heck is up?

This made me wonder how many others in the thigh range and beyone have had trouble with more breakage than you did when you were shorter?

I may make this a separate thread, if not a lot of people respond.

Longlocks3
December 20th, 2009, 07:45 AM
How many of us between classic and knee still wear hair down frequently? For most of us, classic marked the point where we sat on at least an inch or two of our hair - some of us before classic, some of us after - so does this make you wear it up more? And do you see more damage at these longer lengths than you did when it was shorter than classic?

The reason I ask - I'm trying to gain length and thickness at the same time. Usually this has worked pretty well, as my hair grows fairly quickly. But I'm finding that the longer I get, the thinner my ends are and from my S&D sessions, I'm finding that some of it is breakage down there. I try to wear it up as much as possible - that really hasn't changed since I started to have kids 8 years ago. So I'm wondering what the heck is up?

This made me wonder how many others in the thigh range and beyone have had trouble with more breakage than you did when you were shorter?

I may make this a separate thread, if not a lot of people respond.

I'm only just past classic but if I leave the house, without a doubt my hair is up. If I'm sitting around the house, I MIGHT leave it down but the underside(like nape area) of my hair gets tangled pretty easily.

But my ends do get slightly thinner from S&D and breakage. This is why a couple of months ago I succumbed to a small trim(1/2 inch at the most). And I plan another small trim when I get to 45 inches.

The ends at this length(IMO) are also more prone to dryness, which causes any sort of combing or brushing to be difficult. I received a heat cap for Christmas, and I will be doing a deep moisturizing treatment with it!

I think, that past a certain point(mainly TB or classic) it's MUCH harder to handle, but it doesn't change my goal length.

Just think, the ends of your ends, how old are they? All old hair is more prone to breakage, no matter how gentle you are.

freznow
December 20th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I'm halfway between fingertip and knee - dunno how I got there, it seems like just yesterday it was stalling at fingertip.

I don't know what length I'm headed for. I want to see what knee is like, but the last foot of hair isn't in the best of shape and it's so thin, I think I liked fingertip best (plus, I could say that's golden ratio length.) But, in my indecisiveness, I'll probably go for terminal and then gradually trim back to a decent length, or stay there.

As for hemline, right now I have fairytale (I think). I don't really have a preference, but fairytale is easiest.

I haven't worn my hair down much at all since waist. I just like it better up. Easier for me to handle. Even a braid is cumbersome, what with hair-eating-chairs at school and backpacks and such. My ends do have more breakage than shorter lengths - that's inevitable, it's older hair - but there are fewer hairs down there, it's hard to compare.

Longlocks3
December 29th, 2009, 07:50 PM
BUMP! Where are all us classic to knee people? Are we busy coiffing our hair and letting it grow?

I'll try to get us going again......What was your original goal length? I bet some people didn't expect to be going for knee!

BonnyJ
December 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I'm at 54" not quite knee as I am kinda tall. DH finally took 3 pics after church Sunday but am now hunting for the camera USB cord to upload to computer since the card was not in it. It's always something! I can send DS to Kinko's if necessary.

My hair is still growing but at age 52 the ends are quite thin. I braid a lot and with long gray strips it looks kinda interesting. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so practicing the lovely updos is difficult but I aim to try.

Take care and see ya at the knee or beyond?

Tressie
December 29th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Hi All! Ok, count me in this party! Where are the snacks?? If I don't shed it all out, or go terminal, (fingers crossed, hope not) before knee! I'm beyond classic, but I have layers still, and I have fairy-tale ends.

Cinnamon Hair, I love your videos! Thanks for volunteering to keep the water cold and the towels handy!

Thanks for starting this thread JamieLeigh! We can keep each other encouraged and Cinnamon Hair can cheer us on from the finish line! Yeah! I'm pumped!! (o: LET'S GROW...er, I mean..."LET'S PARTY"!! Whoo-hoo!!!

nowxisxforever
December 30th, 2009, 06:02 AM
BUMP! Where are all us classic to knee people? Are we busy coiffing our hair and letting it grow?

I'll try to get us going again......What was your original goal length? I bet some people didn't expect to be going for knee!

I think my goal length was Classic. I hit Classic not long ago, and went...well...I don't really want to stop growing? ;) so decided to let it keep going for as long as I can handle it. I might cut back to Classic once it's grown a little past, I do have some old damage I need to get rid of.

akka naeda
December 30th, 2009, 08:59 AM

My hair is apparently knee-length again after a trim a few months back. My original aim was to see if I could have an ankle length plait like a woman I saw years ago, that requires my hair to be reasonably thick all the way down.

angelthadiva
December 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Count me in, I'm past Classic and I'm at the top of my thighs after a 2.5" trim a few months ago. I want a thick and even hemline though. I have some layers and bleach damage on my sides from face framing layers that are finally at about waist length. I quit dying almost a year ago and am embracing my silvers. I'm also doing the updo challenge; I think this has helped keep my ends up and out of the way...I can't keep my hair down for any length of time w/o tangles. I do wear it loose at bed time though most of the time.

heidihug
December 30th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Still plugging away...

Plan to get to knee and maintain and trim to thicken up my hemline, I think.

Finoriel
December 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I´m growing some more grey hairs. Think it may be time to even stop the sporadic (about twice a year) henna-yogurt-glosses and go grey cold turkey instead of blending the whites in like I do now. Or maybe switch to dye released cassia-yogurt to be able to let it fade away when I decide to, but avoid the dull-meantime until the majority of my red hair is grey and starts to appear more white. Or I could continue with the henna glosses and go really bright coppery with time. Hmm.
Lengthwise my hair is about an inch away from knee and still growing. Few splits, but a lot of taper. I wear more braids in winter and the taper somehow starts to bug me, so I´m thinking about doing a largeish trim. Maybe 10 inches or so to bring me back to thumblength.
I´ll think about both decisions a little longer though, since it does not bother me enough to decide faster :wink:

Xandergrammy
December 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I'm still here too. It seems to still be growing. I'd really love to make it to knee before I hit terminal. Here's a visual aid!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0146450x600.jpg

Igor
December 30th, 2009, 01:42 PM
The last couple of months I have had increasing problems reaching my ends when I detangle… How do you guys cope with that?
Some times it’s just not possible to grab it with my other hand to bring the ends within reach because I’m already holding it back or up

:confused:

Angela_Rose
December 30th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hey Xandergrammy! I'm catching up to you, lady! And your shine is nigh-blinding!

Finoriel
December 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
reaching my ends when I detangle… How do you guys cope with that?

Tamper tantrum and bite in a towel. Ahem :p yeah, that effect is really annoying, same problem here.

justme
December 30th, 2009, 03:02 PM
The last couple of months I have had increasing problems reaching my ends when I detangle… How do you guys cope with that?
Some times it’s just not possible to grab it with my other hand to bring the ends within reach because I’m already holding it back or up

I wrap it once around my neck to get the ends. Or sometimes I use my feet and toes to hold it in place. ;)

KatKeRo
December 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I cut back to tailbone-ish because I couldn't stand my thin ends anymore. (This happens from time to time.) I'm back to growing to classic and beyons, hopefully with thicker ends this time.

Nesta
December 31st, 2009, 09:59 AM
First time poster here. Hi everyone!:poot:

I'm now at classic and just keeping going until it won't grow no more. I'm not precious with it. It's home dyed every 4-6 weeks (roots only). I lose wayyyy too much in the hair brush every day. I S&D every night with a sewing lamp and fine snips. I haven't been to a hairdresser in over 5 years as I blunt cut my fringe around the same time as the redoing of the roots.

I've always had "long" hair but this is the first time I've actually reached my butt. I'm now experiencing new things like sitting on my hair.

Cheers.

Nes

Xandergrammy
December 31st, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hey Xandergrammy! I'm catching up to you, lady! And your shine is nigh-blinding!

Hi Angela_Rose!!! Thank you very much for the compliment (I think the camera flash adds alot of shine). And your hair is getting so long and looks wonderful!!

Angela_Rose
December 31st, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Angela_Rose!!! Thank you very much for the compliment (I think the camera flash adds alot of shine). And your hair is getting so long and looks wonderful!!

:blush: Thank you! I've got 14" to grow until I hit my goal.

angelthadiva
December 31st, 2009, 02:33 PM
First time poster here. Hi everyone!:poot:

I'm now at classic and just keeping going until it won't grow no more. I'm not precious with it. It's home dyed every 4-6 weeks (roots only). I lose wayyyy too much in the hair brush every day. I S&D every night with a sewing lamp and fine snips. I haven't been to a hairdresser in over 5 years as I blunt cut my fringe around the same time as the redoing of the roots.

I've always had "long" hair but this is the first time I've actually reached my butt. I'm now experiencing new things like sitting on my hair.

Cheers.

Nes

Hi, Nes! :waving: You picked the perfect thread as your first one to post in! I hope you find the friendship and support you need along your hair journey! Here's to longer, stronger and healthier lengths ahead! :bottomsup:

JamieLeigh
January 27th, 2010, 10:34 AM
My original goal here was to reach terminal...and I'm still working on that in the back of my mind. I trim frequently right now, though, because I'd like to get as much thickness to travel downward as I can before I stop trimming and just let it grow. I'm currently at fingertip, less than an inch away from midthigh, and I'm probably going to stay here for awhile. I may be about 2" longer now than I was in the last photo I took (Oct or Nov 09, I think), and I'm getting pretty wavy again, so there's really not a lot of visible difference. :o I'll get to knee someday!! (I hope! ;))

HairColoredHair
January 27th, 2010, 10:46 AM

I tend to detangle while sitting, which lets me place the ends on my leg to detangle them or I do the wrap about the neck.

JamieLeigh
February 18th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I already asked this question in this thread, and forgive me if I overlooked anyone, but I don't think anyone actually answered it. :confused:

How many of us at thigh length wear hair up often, and for those of us who don't, do you have to often trim off splits and/or damage? The reason I ask is because I had worn my hair down more often for the first five or six months after hitting classic this last time, and it seems I have had more damage at the ends. I'm wondering if it might have been just caused by the normal wear and tear of hair this long when loose.

Any opinions, and what do you all do?

justme
February 18th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I wear mine up or in a braid most of the time when I'm out of the house. In my home, I'll wear it down often or up or in a braid. Since I started using leave-in conditioner (Phyto 7) and after my big trim, I have very few splits and haven't trimmed them since my last 1/2 inch trim in October. The leave-in conditioner really helps!

heidihug
February 18th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I salute those classic+ people who regularly wear their hair down. Personally, I could not function on a daily basis (commute, work, do housework, etc) wearing my hair down. Perhaps it's because it's so floaty and piece-y and never stays back over my shoulders no matter what I do. It would be a mass of tangles within an hour or two if I wore it down on a typical day. My office chair, the dishwasher, the clothes washer and dryer, my car - they all love to grab and eat my hair!

I only wear it down on very special occasions, like weddings. And then I have a hour or more of detangling to do once I get home (and that's with mini-detangling sessions every hour or so while it's down).

I trim my ends every six months or so, usually no more than a half-inch. Very occasionally S&D. I use 'cones, and clarify at least once a month. I have to stay away from using protein-laden leave-ins, they seem to make my hair "sticky" and more tangle-prone.

So...in answer to your question, JamieLeigh, yes, I definitely think leaving hair down often does tend to lead to damage it wouldn't normally incur. But, if you really like it down, I say go for it, and just trim more often.

Xandergrammy
February 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I very rarely wear my hair down. It's almost always up or in a braid. I think I would have a lot more damage if I wore it down more as I'm always on the go at my job.

angelthadiva
February 19th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I very rarely wear my hair down. It's almost always up or in a braid. I think I would have a lot more damage if I wore it down more as I'm always on the go at my job.

This is me too.

akka naeda
February 20th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I wear my hair in a plait or up. First time it was about knee (just before I joined LHC) i wore it down a fair bit. Result - masses of tangles and plenty of splits. Since joining here I trimmed it back, then I made a point of not wearing it loose so much (as in I only wear it down for special occasions) and it's in much better condition, especially with oiling and SMT and so on.

I like wearing it down so this is why I periodically think about trimming it back to waist, but so far this hasn't happened partially because I'm too lazy to do anything about it and partially because I'd miss the length and just let it grow back. Down definitely = more damage though.

duckish
February 20th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I think my hair is stalled about a third of the way down my thigh. It's been here before, but I cut it back up to hip. Ugh, it's so boring at this length!

Irishred
February 20th, 2010, 08:55 PM
hay all, well, I have been thinking of trimming off a couple inches for about 2 months. Winter is always very hard on my hair. This winter has been bad because , Well, DH has taken an interest in my and DD's hair and is not the easiest on things. I keep trying to gently correct him but it is still more harsh than I believe I am. I have done extra things to help my length, like regular oiling with coconut and using a good rich conditioner on the ends.

Anyway, I was extra oiling my hair this afternoon and had DH massage my scalp then comb it out. I asked him if I should trim and how much... he said about a combs length (large comb with handle, maybe 8 inches possibly more). I ask why so much and he replied that it gets thinner and more layers there.

Now, I know I have quite a bit of taper at the ends but I didn't think it was that bad. I was thinking more like 2-4 inches not double that.

I'd take pictures, but my hair is up in a tea rinse, sopping wet.

Pictures in my album are from nov or dec.

What do you all think?

PS. He like my long hair but not sure how long he thinks is too long.

Longlocks3
February 20th, 2010, 09:00 PM
hay all, well, I have been thinking of trimming off a couple inches for about 2 months. Winter is always very hard on my hair. This winter has been bad because , Well, DH has taken an interest in my and DD's hair and is not the easiest on things. I keep trying to gently correct him but it is still more harsh than I believe I am. I have done extra things to help my length, like regular oiling with coconut and using a good rich conditioner on the ends.

Anyway, I was extra oiling my hair this afternoon and had DH massage my scalp then comb it out. I asked him if I should trim and how much... he said about a combs length (large comb with handle, maybe 8 inches possibly more). I ask why so much and he replied that it gets thinner and more layers there.

Now, I know I have quite a bit of taper at the ends but I didn't think it was that bad. I was thinking more like 2-4 inches not double that.

I'd take pictures, but my hair is up in a tea rinse, sopping wet.

Pictures in my album are from nov or dec.

What do you all think?

PS. He like my long hair but not sure how long he thinks is too long.

If you need 8 inches taken off I need more than that! Your hair looks really thick still at the ends.

If you really feel that you need to take 2-4 inches off, I say plan on 2 inches and wait two weeks to do it. :)

Irishred
February 20th, 2010, 09:13 PM
thank you Longlocks3. I've been thinking about the 2-ish inches for a couple months, just have not done it. Plan was to wash and do it tonight. What DH said really shocked me though.

Think I will trim what I think I need and then let DH see what he thinks.

EqLady
March 3rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Haven't been around here much, but find the conversation fascinating! I haven't really thought much about the length of my hair. I was pretty sure I was at classic. I was wondering if this "classic to knee" was the right place for me--maybe closer to classic than knee.

But then I took this photo. (My first attempt at posting a photo--my photography will have to get better and next time I take hair pictures I'll make sure it is AFTER I've oiled the ends some!)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4405308720_47cb77a32d_m.jpg

Umm...yeah...I guess I'm there.

JamieLeigh
March 5th, 2010, 10:52 AM

I agree with Longlocks3, plan to do 2" and use the 2-week rule to think it over. Then if YOU are unhappy still, you can do more. It's really not up to your husband, to be honest, what you do with your hair. I understand you value his opinion, but just make sure you're not sacrificing what makes you happy to please him. :flower: I think your hair is beautiful the way it is, but sometimes a small trim is what you need to feel better about your ends. Even a half- or quarter-inch can make it feel brand new down at the hemline. :)

And ETA: Thank you guys for answering about damage from wearing down. I'm involved in the wear-hair-up challenge right now, and have made it a month and a half up so far. So I'll be looking at it in June to see if it's made a difference. :D

Haven't been around here much, but find the conversation fascinating! I haven't really thought much about the length of my hair. I was pretty sure I was at classic. I was wondering if this "classic to knee" was the right place for me--maybe closer to classic than knee.

Welcome back! :cheese: WOW at that photo, that's gorgeous - if you're not already at knee, you're pretty darn close. Definitely the right thread for you. :D

Longlocks3
March 5th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Does any of my fellow classic to knee peeps have any suggestions for eliminating front of the hair line pulling? It's gotten worse lately, even when I purposely do buns with the hair from that area looser.

I'm unsure if it's from dry skin or pulling of hair, but I've developed some 'sore' spots that look like little round bloody spots on my hairline above the forehead. I freaked out and thought I had lice, but that isn't the case.

I'm slightly worried! I don't want to have to cut back( I want to see terminal) but I don't want to risk major hair loss!

harpgal
March 5th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Does any of my fellow classic to knee peeps have any suggestions for eliminating front of the hair line pulling?Longlocks, try parting your hair instead of combing it straight back from your hairline. Place both hands on either side of your face (at the hairline) and gently push toward your face. Then (very gently) slide a hairstick into your hair perpendicular to your hairline, from the part down and lift carefully. While doing this, lift your updo with your other hand. This should relieve the tension on your hairline. I do this every morning after I create my updo for the day.

BTW, I have reached knee! :)

Feng-Shui
March 5th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I live also still. :flower:

Yesterday cut I my hair of 50 inches back to 48 inches.

It was hard nevertheless the winter my ends strongly strained.

Now my ends feel again much better.

I continue to remain on course to knee length. :)

@Xandergrammy
Their hair is wonderful and I would have so gladly your nature waves.:flowers:

HairColoredHair
March 5th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Does any of my fellow classic to knee peeps have any suggestions for eliminating front of the hair line pulling? It's gotten worse lately, even when I purposely do buns with the hair from that area looser.

I'm unsure if it's from dry skin or pulling of hair, but I've developed some 'sore' spots that look like little round bloody spots on my hairline above the forehead. I freaked out and thought I had lice, but that isn't the case.

I'm slightly worried! I don't want to have to cut back( I want to see terminal) but I don't want to risk major hair loss!

I agree with the above suggestion to part your hair before bunning. My hair naturally parts and I don't have any pulling at the hairline.

Perhaps also considering braiding before bunning, that always seems to help my hair not pull (on any point of my pointy head, :lol: )

Xandergrammy
March 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Congratulations, harpgal!!! Any pictures? :flowers:

Xandergrammy
March 5th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I live also still. :flower:

Yesterday cut I my hair of 50 inches back to 48 inches.

It was hard nevertheless the winter my ends strongly strained.

Now my ends feel again much better.

I continue to remain on course to knee length. :)

@Xandergrammy
Their hair is wonderful and I would have so gladly your nature waves.:flowers:

Thank you so much, Feng-Shui! Your hair is beautiful just the way it is. :flower: Your ends must feel nice after that trim!

Teazel
March 5th, 2010, 02:55 PM

Ooh, big congratulations, harpgal! :joy: Can we see a picture, pretty please? :pray:

Feng-Shui
March 5th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Congratulations Harpgal. :flowers:

I envy you and wish to also see Pictures from your hair.:flower:

Igor
March 5th, 2010, 03:56 PM

:cheese: Congrats! Now moving to the "Knee to floor" group? :wink:

harpgal
March 5th, 2010, 05:30 PM
LOL! Oh, I know how much we all like pictures, but if you guys could see all the snow outside you would not ask me to stand out there for mere hair pictures! However, I will see what I can do when the weather gets a little better.

No Igor, I'm staying right where I am (at knee). Besides, the egos are just a little too big for me over in that group. ;)

justme
March 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Congrats, harpgal!

EdG
March 5th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Congratulations, harpgal! :)

No Igor, I'm staying right where I am (at knee). Besides, the egos are just a little too big for me over in that group. ;)For some reason, no-one ever posts in the knee-length group. :hmm:
Ed

DragonLady
March 5th, 2010, 09:04 PM
<i>doorbell chimes</i>

I think I've reached classic! My longest strands j-u-s-t reach there when I'm standing as straight as I can (and pulling them straight, as I'm a wavy). May I join your august group? Pretty please?

angelthadiva
March 5th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Congrats, Harpgal!!

akka naeda
March 6th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I agree with the above suggestion to part your hair before bunning. My hair naturally parts and I don't have any pulling at the hairline.

Perhaps also considering braiding before bunning, that always seems to help my hair not pull (on any point of my pointy head, :lol: )

I only get pulling if the bun is too high up on my head, a bun at the nape of my neck is better.

BUT, I do have a very slight receding hairline and I have a natural parting and wear my hair in plated buns most days. This has only happened since finding LHC and wearing my hair up.

I have no suggestions as to what you could do though, I'm just hoping it doesn't get worse!

I've trimmed about 6" off the ends to even them up slightly so I'm now about 3" above knee again.

Snowblood
March 6th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I&#180;v reached mid thigh now and I&#180;m thinking about growing longer..
Thigh was once my goal but at this point I don&#180;t want to cut either.
Hm. Difficult. I think there is not such a big difference in handling, so I will give it a try.
Mabe I can not reach knee length because of genetics, my ends are quite whispy now. :p

Longlocks3
March 6th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

justme
March 6th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Welcome, DragonLady!

Angela_Rose
March 8th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I finally did it, folks. I took a little over an inch off yesterday. Hadn't measured in a while, but now after this trim I'm at 47"... still thigh-length, but I'm pretty sure I'd reached the four-foot mark sometime between December and yesterday!

Anyway, the ends had been driving me nuts (as you all know) and so I took the last bit off and now they're so much thicker. Then I did a *huge* S&D (almost went crosseyed!) and a deep-condition overnight. Woo.

JamieLeigh
April 19th, 2010, 10:55 AM
How are things going in the classic to knee world? I'm still trying to maintain for thickness, and right now (thanks to a small trim of about half an inch), I'm about a quarter-inch above 48". Still roughly midthigh, a bit past fingertip. My ends are looking nicer since I've been playing in the Wear-Hair-Up-Challenge thread, although thanks to a miscarriage in January, I shed some...so I might actually be maintaining here longer than I thought until my thickness noticeably increases. :p Ah well, Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, Life goes on...

Longlocks3
April 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM
How are things going in the classic to knee world? I'm still trying to maintain for thickness, and right now (thanks to a small trim of about half an inch), I'm about a quarter-inch above 48". Still roughly midthigh, a bit past fingertip. My ends are looking nicer since I've been playing in the Wear-Hair-Up-Challenge thread, although thanks to a miscarriage in January, I shed some...so I might actually be maintaining here longer than I thought until my thickness noticeably increases. :p Ah well, Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, Life goes on...

I'm sorry to hear about the miscarriage JamieLeigh. :(

I was at 45 inches a couple of days ago but then I did a trim. I haven't measured since then but the trim at the most was 1/2 inch.

Why do thighs have to be so darn long!?

Xandergrammy
April 19th, 2010, 04:16 PM
JamieLeigh I'm so sorry about your miscarriage. Hugs to you.

Longlocks3 I feel the same way about the annoying length of thighs. :gabigrin:

Here's an update photo. It was taken yesterday.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0576.jpg

Teazel
April 19th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I never would have thought of my thighs as being anything approaching long, but it's taking for-ev-er for my hair to creep down them. When DH measures he straightens the strands out, so what I laughingly call my hem is - so he says - just an inch above my knees... I wish the mirror would agree with that, but as far as I can see I'm still stuck at mid-thigh.

I'm not touching the :scissors: until knee-length has been reached and then some, so fairytale ends are what I've got. Patience. Patience. :meditate:

Longlocks3
May 17th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Bumpsies. C'mon, I know we are a patient bunch since we have made it to classic+ but we can't be quiet too!

fishwich
May 17th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Forty-eight inches as of tonight, but I swear it's been the same three inches north of my knees for MONTHS. I take some small consolation from the fact that it used to come down this far on the backs of my thighs only in the shower, and now it does it when it's dry. Must go have one--maybe I can make knee on a technicality!

DragonLady
May 17th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Forty-eight inches as of tonight, but I swear it's been the same three inches north of my knees for MONTHS.

Yeah...my longest strands are at classic +, but the next longest are a couple of inches shorter and it seems like I'm not growing at all. :(

Lielananna
May 17th, 2010, 11:27 PM
When my hair is wet its almost all the way to the bottom of my knee crease, but dry it barely hits the top of my knee, I've been shedding a lot lately so the ends are getting pretty thin, I'm gonna get a trim at the end of this summer when I can make it back to my trusted hair dresser, but I'm hoping that it continues to grow until then and I don't end up with too thin of a hemline.

julya
May 18th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I think that I am pretty close to knee at this point. I ought to take a photo wearing shorts to verify sometime.

gossamer
May 18th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I think that I am pretty close to knee at this point. I ought to take a photo wearing shorts to verify sometime.

I think I need to join you in taking that photo - I know I'm close, but not quite sure how close...

RachelRain
July 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
I didn't even realize there was a thread for this. I've been hanging out in Tailbone to Classic. Hi! :waves:

I'm trying to get it to knee length, but it doesn't seem like it's growing anymore. It grows like a weed if i chop it all off, so this is driving me nuts.

Quixii
July 1st, 2010, 02:06 PM
*pokes classic to knee thread*
I get this feeling I won't ever actually be able to join you. My ends are just about an inch past classic when pulled straight. But curly, they're still a ways away. My hair is barely growing... Sigh.

You guys all have such pretty hair. I may poke my head in this thread more often, just to see. :)

Lunnafindel
July 2nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
Wow, I'm so glad I went through the unending-thighs phase when my thighs were still short (I reached knee at 12), but then again, I was never really concerned about achieving a length. I am now though - when I joined LHC I cut 5 (bedraggled) inches off and I'm working regaining that with healthier hair. The thing is, I'm so used to saying my hair is at my knees, but now my hair is slightly above my knees (it reaches the tops if you look at it the right way) so I dread the day that someone says "show me!" and then "that's not at your knees!" :( Hopefully I can regain my length before that happens.

slythwolf
July 3rd, 2010, 01:17 AM
Hi! I'm just popping in to wave enviously at you all from the Waist to Tailbone thread. Have fun and I'll see you in a couple years!

gossamer
July 6th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I'm getting really frustrated with my hair. Must have gone through a pretty significant shed because my ends are just so much thinner than I remember. Either that or I haven't been paying much attention to them until recently.

Thinking strongly about cutting back up to about 48"-49" to try and get a thicker hemline on my way towards knee. It's just.... I'm so close!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5520&pictureid=76121

RachelRain
July 6th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Ack, jealous... I can't wait til my hair is that long. :( Hurry up and grow, dammit.

I'm going to my mom's later on today, so hopefully she still has her camera because I can't for the life of me find mine, even though his parents came home from their vacation last week. I hate when that happens.

Hopefully will have pictures sometime tonight or tomorrow! :)

EdG
July 6th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I think that I am pretty close to knee at this point. I ought to take a photo wearing shorts to verify sometime.Julya, you certainly appeared knee-length at our last meet! :cheese:

Thinking strongly about cutting back up to about 48"-49" to try and get a thicker hemline on my way towards knee. It's just.... I'm so close!Gossamer, your hair is thudworthy. :thud:
Ed

Lunnafindel
July 6th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Gossamer, your hair looks fine! I think most people's ends get thin when they're that long - mine certainly are. I cut 5 inches off for the same reason - thicker hemline - 3 months ago, but my ends were WAY worse than yours are, and now (judging by the picture) I'd say they're about the same. I think (because I do it too) that you worry about things that no one else can see - seriously, from that picture, it looks great!
I say, don't cut it. Reach your goal, and then you'll have plenty of time to work on thickness once you're there. Don't take steps back when you're so close. If your hair looked unhealthy and ratty, I'd suggest cutting it, but it really does look nice at the end, so don't worry. Keep going, you're so close! :cheer:

eresh
July 7th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Gossamer I think your hair looks really good! Not thin at all.
But it your ends bug you, instead of cutting back you can always maintain at this length for a while, to let the shorter hairs catch up.
That's what I do now, trim the growth each month to try and thicken up the ends.

Alcenaia
July 7th, 2010, 08:12 AM
*peeks in*

I'm getting very close to classic, so close! I'm looking forward to joining the beautiful heads of hair in this thread! :)

DragonLady
July 7th, 2010, 09:35 AM
{sigh}

All the beautiful hair here. And I'm still just trying to get all -or even most- of my ends to true classic. My longest strands are there when I stretch out the wave, but not much progress yet for the rest. :(

itheleniel
July 7th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Sigh, I'm 2 inches past waist length, and I'm really tall, so I have to grow lots and lots of hair to reach knee length. geez I am soooo jealous of you classic-kneelength peeps. Grow hair Grow!!!!!

JamieLeigh
July 7th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Gossamer, your hair looks nice and thick to me - or maybe it's just because my own ends are as thin as they are. :o Eresh has the right idea- maintain!! :D

As for myself, it's been awhile since I posted in here too. I haven't been very happy with my hair, so I've tended to stay away from this site (probably so I won't have to look at everyone else's healthy and lovely hair LOL ;)). But I took a photo of my length, just to see where things were heading, and I was actually quite pleased with what I saw! Here is the photo - please excuse the mess!!

I was doing the "wear hair up" challenge and I feel that has tremendously helped my thickness to come back some, from not having it down and reducing the stress on my ends that would come from everyday wear and tear. I wore it up and ignored it so much between January and June, that it actually got within an inch and a half of knee length, and I didn't even notice it!! Even showering, I would let it dry and then just comb it and put it up (or comb it and go to bed, if I washed in the evening). The above pic is after a trim of almost 3.5", giving me a more even hemline. So that puts me back between thumb and fingertip again. BUT it looks a feels a bit thicker, which makes me happy. :cheese:

JamieLeigh
July 7th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I hope the photo comes through this time!! I can't get it to show up in my other post using the 'edit', so if there is a way to combine these last two posts by me, I'd love for that to happen. :o Many apologies for the confusion!!!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5778&pictureid=75697

HairColoredHair
July 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM
[COLOR=magenta]I hope the photo comes through this time!! I can't get it to show up in my other post using the 'edit', so if there is a way to combine these last two posts by me, I'd love for that to happen. :o Many apologies for the confusion!!!COLOR]

You have lovely hair (I followed the picture's link to the actual picture.)

nicolezoie
July 7th, 2010, 11:47 AM
...Hair this length is a challenge. It is beyond the reach of my hands and combing has become a several stage event....

I'm at upper-ankle now, but back when it was approaching my knees it became a whole new monster. First, at just about classic, I had to get used to being able to sit on my hair, er, avoid sitting on my hair, then at mid-thigh I had to get used to my hair being longer than my arms could reach. Then I discovered that braiding, especially french or dutch braiding, creates a backbraid that takes longer to detangle than creating the actual braid itself. Where I'm at right now is more or less the same as it has been since it got longer than my arms could reach, but yeah, detangling involves two hands; one to pull the comb partway down, the other to grab and hold onto it mid-length, then finish the downstroke, and hoping I don't encounter any little knots, which wrecks the alignment. If I do encounter knots, I have to drop that mid-length grab, and focus on pulling apart the knot, then start all over. It can be a nuissance, but, even still, I'm used to it now. And, it keeps on growing. My hemline is more or less even and I do have significant bulk at the ends, but that's more from doing significant 3-4" trims every so often to keep things like that. If left to its own devices, it will U then V and I don't like that with this much length. The closer it gets to the floor (if it gets that long, which I believe it will) the more even I want my ends to be. At that point you have another "perspective" point to compare ends to, and I'm not sure I'd like it if only a few strands got there and the rest tapered upwards.

eresh
July 7th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Then I discovered that braiding, especially french or dutch braiding, creates a backbraid that takes longer to detangle than creating the actual braid itself. Where I'm at right now is more or less the same as it has been since it got longer than my arms could reach, but yeah, detangling involves two hands; one to pull the comb partway down, the other to grab and hold onto it mid-length, then finish the downstroke, and hoping I don't encounter any little knots, which wrecks the alignment. If I do encounter knots, I have to drop that mid-length grab, and focus on pulling apart the knot, then start all over.

Aaaaaarrgh that happens to me all the time when I trie to dutch of french braid.
I still haven't found out how to avoid it, only that braiding with wet hair is easier than dry or damp.
Do you have any tricks?

Igor
July 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Aaaaaarrgh that happens to me all the time when I trie to dutch of french braid.
I still haven't found out how to avoid it, only that braiding with wet hair is easier than dry or damp.
Do you have any tricks?

When I make a French braid I make this little “swishy” motion with the strands that keeps them from tangling, but with Dutch braids I still haven’t figured out how to do it. Its like a little “swirp” thing I do with my little finger on my strands-holding hand, but all attempts to figure out [b]what[/] I do leaves me so confused I cant coordinate anymore :lol:

gossamer
July 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I wore it up and ignored it so much between January and June, that it actually got within an inch and a half of knee length, and I didn't even notice it!! Even showering, I would let it dry and then just comb it and put it up (or comb it and go to bed, if I washed in the evening).

Thanks for your compliment. This is good advice - while I may not actually take part in the updo challenge, ignoring it will help a lot more than actively worrying about the thickness of my ends.

Reach your goal, and then you'll have plenty of time to work on thickness once you're there. Don't take steps back when you're so close. If your hair looked unhealthy and ratty, I'd suggest cutting it, but it really does look nice at the end, so don't worry. Keep going, you're so close!
Thanks for this. Your reassurance is making me reconsider my "extreme" trim plans. I think I'll still have 1-2" taken off like I do every July (and December) but I won't cut back any further.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments and reassurance. Sometimes I look and all I can see are the uneven and damaged bits, not the overall picture. :love:

nicolezoie
July 7th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Do you have any tricks?

For me, wet hair makes everything WORSE since it really likes to stick together when wet. However, using a dab of jojoba on my length works best for me; I always forget this since I stopped using oils; it helps immensely with keeping it slippy and makes for much easier detangling.

Teazel
July 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I don't think my length has increased in the last two months: the hem of my hair is still dangling tantalisingly just about one inch above my knees. Boo hoo! How long do I give it before I admit that I've reached terminal before knee-length? :sad

HairColoredHair
July 7th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I don't think my length has increased in the last two months: the hem of my hair is still dangling tantalisingly just about one inch above my knees. Boo hoo! How long do I give it before I admit that I've reached terminal before knee-length? :sad

At least a year, I'd think.

JamieLeigh
July 8th, 2010, 02:25 AM

A lot longer than two months! :eyebrows: Maybe you're going through a stall - don't a lot of people stall at this time of year? :flower:

09robiha
July 8th, 2010, 04:23 AM
*sigh* I keep reading this thread in the hopes that one day...maybe.. I'll be able to join in too!! Happy growing everyone :)

Chrissy
July 8th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I just wanted to say it has been a pleasure reading through this thread. All of you have beautiful hair!!! Like others have said inspirational. :)

Angela_Rose
July 8th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I'm avoiding measuring for a while. I've started wearing a covering over a braided bun nowadays, and so my hair is seldom down. I'm pretty sure I'm currently at mid-thigh, though, and the last time I did measure was a couple of months ago and I was just about 48". I'm *aching* for knee length!!

Starfilly
July 8th, 2010, 08:03 AM
How have I missed this thread all this time??

I'm shooting for knee length, just because I think it'd be neat to have once in my life, then I'll probably cut it back to classic, which is my favorite length.

I do have a question about measuring. I don't have anyone who can help me measure, and since my hair is curly, I have to stretch it out to get a consistent measurement. The only problem is that I can't reach the ends anymore. Is there a way to measure your own hair when you can't reach it? I figure I'm around 50" and knee length is around 55", but it's really hard to tell, particularly since the curl shortens it by 4-6 inches, depending on the day.

I'm definitely hitting one of those stages where I have to "relearn" updos as it gets longer, and not being able to reach the ends is a new challenge. I still love to wear it down on occasion, and my routine consists mainly of neglect, which has worked well so far. I love long hair, but I don't want it affect my life, if that makes sense. I do what I want to do, and the hair has to accommodate me rather than the other way around. Knee length is the longest I could go and still have it that way, I think.

JamieLeigh
July 8th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I do have a question about measuring. I don't have anyone who can help me measure, and since my hair is curly, I have to stretch it out to get a consistent measurement. The only problem is that I can't reach the ends anymore. Is there a way to measure your own hair when you can't reach it?

I measured in at nearly 50" before I cut back to 46.5" in early June...and I had trouble too because 47" is fingertip length on me.

So what I have is a dressmaker's tape, but the numbers are large. I also have two mirrors in my bathroom - one over the sink, the other by the door - so that I can see the back of my hair. The one by the door is large enough I can see my entire body, to the floor. I draped the tape measure over my head and used the mirror to check out the numbers. Since I had really thin fairytailing ends, I had to wear shorts and use my bare white leg (I'm an inside girl. ;)) as a backdrop. (A dark skirt or towel would work well for lighter hair, I'd imagine - or anything that contrasts with your hair and helps you see better)

That's the way I go, since DH is usually at work when I am ready to measure (I do most stuff like that at night when the kids are down). ;)

Igor
July 8th, 2010, 11:57 AM
My 7 years anniversary on LHC is coming up next month and I think there’s a really high chance I could be at “Top of knees” length by then! :gabigrin:

trolleypup
July 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I do have a question about measuring. I don't have anyone who can help me measure, and since my hair is curly, I have to stretch it out to get a consistent measurement. The only problem is that I can't reach the ends anymore. Is there a way to measure your own hair when you can't reach it? I figure I'm around 50" and knee length is around 55", but it's really hard to tell, particularly since the curl shortens it by 4-6 inches, depending on the day.
This may work for measuring...lay the tap over your head, smooth and hold it at ponytail (including the tape), run your other hand down the hair and tape and hold it lower, bring it up/around and repeat to get to the end of the hair, read length off the tape.

eternallyverdan
July 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I don't remember if I've commented in here, but I thought I'd come and check in. I'm getting very close to knee length, and I don't really have any intention of shortening it anytime soon. I actually got to knee length in early May, but I did a pretty big trim at the end of May because my ends were looking a little thinner than I like. Here's where I am right now:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3432&pictureid=76292

Does anyone else find that they get hilarious comments at these lengths? I've been meeting a lot of new people, and I think I've been called "Rapunzel" by about half a dozen different people. I'm kind of enjoying it.

Final question: What's everyone's favorite hair toy? I just can't get single hairsticks to work for me anymore. I alternate between using my hair fork (my personal favorite), doing a bun that doesn't require accessories, braids, Amish pins (a close second) and wearing it down.

gossamer
July 8th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Final question: What's everyone's favorite hair toy? I just can't get single hairsticks to work for me anymore. I alternate between using my hair fork (my personal favorite), doing a bun that doesn't require accessories, braids, Amish pins (a close second) and wearing it down.

Oh, that's lovely! And getting that close to knee again after a trim just two months ago is some unbelievable growth.

I still do use single hair sticks except for one thing, they aren't really hair sticks. They're chopsticks. I have a set of stainless steel ones that work really well, and some wooden lacquered ones that are a little long, but still functional.

Although, in a pinch, I can still hold my hair up with a ballpoint pen, so I imagine it's much thinner than yours.

But nice chopsticks might be the answer if shorter hair sticks just don't work.

tinker bug
July 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Maybe you could measure starting at your knees and then on up to your ends? Like if you measured your hair today (given the measurements you gave) you would say "I'm 5 " from knee"?

I don't belong in this thread quite yet, but I'm hoping that one day I will!

PineappleJello
July 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I feel like I'm spying on a conversation of hair goddesses. So awesome to not have to search to creep out your long hair photos to inspire my hair to grow faster.

Longlocks3
July 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM

I'm on the short side of the hair in this thread but I absolutely love my Amish pins! I don't wear hair toys that 'show' to work(hospital) and Amish pins are pretty much the only thing I can use there. They hold like a rock, even through a 12 hour day which may include: running to a code, doing chest compression and other physical activity of patient care.

My second favorite hair toy has to be my Ketylos. I can still manage a bun with one stick.

JamieLeigh
July 8th, 2010, 10:05 PM
My 7 years anniversary on LHC is coming up next month and I think there’s a really high chance I could be at “Top of knees” length by then! :gabigrin:

Wooo!! :cheese: That would be awesome! Can't wait to see how that goes. :D

This may work for measuring...lay the tap over your head, smooth and hold it at ponytail (including the tape), run your other hand down the hair and tape and hold it lower, bring it up/around and repeat to get to the end of the hair, read length off the tape.

LOL, this is how I've started trimming my ends...I don't know why I haven't thought to measure that way too. Although, numbers really start to seem less important when you're aiming for knee along with others who are aiming for it too, and the numbers are different for everyone. :p I will try this though. :)

Final question: What's everyone's favorite hair toy? I just can't get single hairsticks to work for me anymore.

I still can, but I imagine my hair is quite a bit thinner than yours is, due to my shedding. :p My favorite is a pair of longer sticks I found on Etsy, and another fave of mine is my karma clip I found at Wally World. It's ginormous, and can hold up a braided bun like it's being paid to. :D

RachelRain
July 9th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I have nothing poignant to add to this right now, but longlocks... sweet Jesus, but that bun is huge.

Teazel
July 9th, 2010, 02:10 AM
At least a year, I'd think.

A lot longer than two months! :eyebrows: Maybe you're going through a stall - don't a lot of people stall at this time of year? :flower:

Oh, so there's still hope for me. That's good! :cheese:

JamieLeigh, it's the middle of winter here. Are autumn/winter stalls common?

Does anyone else find that they get hilarious comments at these lengths? I've been meeting a lot of new people, and I think I've been called "Rapunzel" by about half a dozen different people. I'm kind of enjoying it.

I generally use a single hairstick, but - like the others who replied - my hair is thinner than yours. Adding a second hairstick seems to increase the chance of it pulling, and I'm too lazy to use lots of pins on a daily basis. :D

Sadly, I seldom get comments on my hair in RL these days - but then the only people who see it down are friends and family, because the only time I wear it loose is at home.

JamieLeigh
July 9th, 2010, 02:15 AM

I've seen stalls reported for every season. Mine stalls in summer, actually, and grows faster in winter...but I've seen a ton of posts regarding winter stalls and summer growth. I also spend a lot of time outdoors so I'm not necessarily in a regulated climate most of my hours. I have often wondered if this is why humans don't seem to shed/grow the way other animals do who depend on their fur/hair to keep them warm in winter.

A study on this would fascinate me LOL. Maybe I'm just easily amused. :p

Leabhar
July 9th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I haven't been happy with my hair (wasn't washing it often enough and my scalp wasn't happy) but one day I noticed my hair was getting long enough that I had to actively avoid sitting on it. Lo and behold, I'm a little past classic now, and have no intention of cutting it. So, onwards!

I haven't been using oils as much as I should, and have been doing WO rinses between washes (as I tend not to like the plasticizing effect of cone-y conditioners), but as nicolezoie mentioned, ever since classic, backbraiding tangles and tangles down the length in general are a huge time sink. I got frustrated until I remembered I had Silk Drops and voila, it worked beautifully. Next time I'll try some jojoba if I want to get some moisturizing done at the same time. :P

eternallyverdan
July 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Oh, that's lovely! And getting that close to knee again after a trim just two months ago is some unbelievable growth.

But nice chopsticks might be the answer if shorter hair sticks just don't work.

I just noticed a couple days ago that my hair seems to be growing crazy fast. I trimmed to just below classic less than a year ago, and I'm close to knee right now even after a substantial trim (about 2 inches, I think) in May. I really have no idea what's going on there!

I have to admit that I don't even own any real hair sticks. It just seems silly to me to buy something that I can so easily make myself, so the only accessories that I've purchased are my hair fork and my Amish pins. I figure I'm probably just doing it wrong.

Also, your hair looks absolutely lovely, and I love your avatar picture-- it's so creative!

I'm on the short side of the hair in this thread but I absolutely love my Amish pins! I don't wear hair toys that 'show' to work(hospital) and Amish pins are pretty much the only thing I can use there. They hold like a rock, even through a 12 hour day which may include: running to a code, doing chest compression and other physical activity of patient care.

My second favorite hair toy has to be my Ketylos. I can still manage a bun with one stick.

I've come to think of myself as the Amish Pin evangelist-- I always butt in to threads that are about pins and mention them, because they're my favorite and they allow me to do styles that I could never manage without them, like cinnamon buns and French twists.

I really want a Ketylo, but I'm hoping to go to a meet and try one before I commit to buying.

I still can, but I imagine my hair is quite a bit thinner than yours is, due to my shedding. :p My favorite is a pair of longer sticks I found on Etsy, and another fave of mine is my karma clip I found at Wally World. It's ginormous, and can hold up a braided bun like it's being paid to. :D

My hair will stay in for about an hour with a hairstick, but it always loosens and falls out, and I prefer not to have to readjust my hair every time it starts falling out. Is there a trick to it that I don't know about?

I'm sorry to hear about your shedding-- I'm sure that it will come back with time and lots (and lots and lots and lots :p) of patience.

I generally use a single hairstick, but - like the others who replied - my hair is thinner than yours. Adding a second hairstick seems to increase the chance of it pulling, and I'm too lazy to use lots of pins on a daily basis. :D

Sadly, I seldom get comments on my hair in RL these days - but then the only people who see it down are friends and family, because the only time I wear it loose is at home.

My hair stalled at classic a while ago for about 2 1/2 years and just recently started growing in earnest, so don't give up yet!

As I've said to the others, I think the problem is probably me and not the hairsticks. I live in hope! I'm the same way with updos-- if it requires more than one type of hair toy, I'm probably not going to bother with it.

I find that it's quite relaxing to not show your hair to lots of people, and I'm glad that you and your family get to enjoy it. I always stop to admire your lovely updos when I see your posts around the forum. :flowers:

Wow! Epic reply post is epic!

Lunnafindel
July 9th, 2010, 07:52 PM
So what length is "knee length" for you guys? I know it varies based on height etc, and I think it's interesting how it changes from person to person. Also, where do you measure from? The knee is a pretty large expanse of skin...do you call it knee at the top? In the middle? When it's just past?
I'm at 51" now and I'd call that pushing top of the knee, and before I joined LHC and trimmed, I was at 55" which was about bottom (or maybe past? I can't remember) of the knee.

Xan
July 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I am not there yet just tailbone pushing classic but would love knee someday, everyone else good luck hope to see you there someday.

gossamer
July 9th, 2010, 09:57 PM
My hair will stay in for about an hour with a hairstick, but it always loosens and falls out, and I prefer not to have to readjust my hair every time it starts falling out. Is there a trick to it that I don't know about?

Wow! Epic reply post is epic!

Yay epic!

I only figured out hairsticks after joining LHC and seeing a tutorial on Chinese buns. It made me realize that I had to make the stick the base upon which I build my updo, rather than trying to use it like a glorified hairpin.

Lately, I just put my hair in a braid, put a chopstick/crochet hook/pen horizontally under the braid at the scalp, and wrap my braid in counterclockwise circles under the stick. With the end tucked underneath all the rest of the layers, I don't usually need pins to keep the entire mess up. You know, spelling it out like that doesn't make much sense, does it? If my hair weren't in 4 french braids atm, I'd write a blog entry with photos to demonstrate.

I am definitely interested in Amish pins, however, if I can figure out where to get them. So, not using 100 hairpins to secure my cinnabun, you say....

gossamer
July 9th, 2010, 10:01 PM
So what length is "knee length" for you guys? I know it varies based on height etc, and I think it's interesting how it changes from person to person. Also, where do you measure from? The knee is a pretty large expanse of skin...do you call it knee at the top? In the middle? When it's just past?
I'm at 51" now and I'd call that pushing top of the knee, and before I joined LHC and trimmed, I was at 55" which was about bottom (or maybe past? I can't remember) of the knee.

I'm 65.5" tall, and my hair is 51.5" or 52" long. (Woah. I've never written it out like that before. woah.)

Anyway, I think I have an inch and a half left to reach top of knee or about 2.5"-3" to the middle. I originally thought tying a bandanna around my pants at knee would help me figure out how much I have left to go, but that still didn't solve the top/middle/bottom problem.

RachelRain
July 9th, 2010, 11:02 PM

Okay. I measure from the part in my head to the crease of my knee in the back. And knee length for me is 52"

Speaking of!! I just caught sight of my hair in the mirror about ten minutes ago (I've been fighting with the server to make this page load since then!) and realized my hair looks a little further from my butt pocket than usual.

And that's cuz it is!! It's now at 43", so I've only got 9 inches to go. You all should have heard the screech. I'm so happy I'm home alone tonight, because I'd never live it down if people heard that. LOL.

Oops. Height helps. Duh. I'm either 5'8 or 5'9 - I should have my boyfriend use my tape measure to find out for sure this weekend.

Finoriel
July 10th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I think knee length is about 55"/56" on me, but it´s hard to say exactly without being there. I almost reached it in January, but decided to trim off about 9". Back to fingertip length to improve the hemline and make it more manageable again. (Haha I just realized that I called 9" a "trim" :wacko: guess it´s all about where you´re coming from, eh.)
My personal definition of knee length on myself would be when the tips reach the umm "crease" between calf and thigh. Pulling the hair forward to see if it´s top of knee-cap, middle or below would shorten ones hairlength. Also my avatar isn´t totally correct :p I usually do not wear my hair in front of me. So using body marks on my backside, since that´s the optical length it has when it is down, makes the most sense to me.

Angela_Rose
July 10th, 2010, 04:25 PM

I'm counting Knee Length at the middle of the back of my knees.
I'm 69" tall and KL is 60" on me. Currently I'm at Mid Thigh with a measured length of 48".
...well, I may be longer now. I haven't measured in a few months.

Longlocks3
July 11th, 2010, 08:20 PM

Knee length on me is 57 inches. I call 'knee' the middle of the knee. I'm at 46.25 inches right now so I still have over ten inches of thigh. I have long thighs though I guess. I'm about 5'8''-5'9''.

JamieLeigh
July 13th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Knee for me is 56" I'm 5'7, which is 67". (However, I don't measure my height from the front of my hairline...so I would need about 72" to reach floor length) Currently I'm around fingertip length again, which is between 46 and 47", I was close to 51" before my trim in early June. Lol I seriously have a love-hate relationship with these ends of mine. :rolleyes:

Barniie
July 13th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Angela Rose:
I'm counting Knee Length at the middle of the back of my knees.
I'm 69" tall and KL is 60" on me. Currently I'm at Mid Thigh with a measured length of 48".
...well, I may be longer now. I haven't measured in a few months.

Hahahha, and here I was, sitting here thinking to myself - "What the heck does she mean by KL?? Kalf Length? Learn to spell."

Then I realised knee starts with 'K'.
hahhahaha.

Teazel
July 13th, 2010, 05:58 AM
My hair stalled at classic a while ago for about 2 1/2 years and just recently started growing in earnest, so don't give up yet!

As I've said to the others, I think the problem is probably me and not the hairsticks. I live in hope! I'm the same way with updos-- if it requires more than one type of hair toy, I'm probably not going to bother with it.

I find that it's quite relaxing to not show your hair to lots of people, and I'm glad that you and your family get to enjoy it. I always stop to admire your lovely updos when I see your posts around the forum. :flowers:

Aw, thank you! :flowers: I don't know if my family "enjoys" my hair: DH, for instance, thinks it's too long. He'd rather see it back at classic. Oh well. :tongue: That's what LHC's for, isn't it?

Lunnafindel, knee length is 53" on me; that's the crease behind my knee. I'm 5'3" tall on a good day. I measure from my hairline at the front.

JamieLeigh
July 13th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Aw, thank you! :flowers: I don't know if my family "enjoys" my hair: DH, for instance, thinks it's too long. He'd rather see it back at classic. Oh well. :tongue: That's what LHC's for, isn't it?

Lunnafindel, knee length is 53" on me; that's the crease behind my knee. I'm 5'3" tall on a good day. I measure from my hairline at the front.

EXACTLY what we're here for! :cheer:

You make a good point that we all need to think about when throwing these numbers around, and I edited my earlier post to include this too. We don't measure our body height from the front of our hairline, but we do measure our hair that way...therefore there is probably a +/-6" difference between our height and floor length in inches. So if you're 67" tall like me, you wouldn't say "I'll be floor length at 67"!!" You'd be there in more like 72-73" Just making sure we're not getting over-excited about our numbers - I know I kinda was, before I realized this, because I was thinking past knee to the ground, LOL. :flower:

harpgal
July 16th, 2010, 01:49 PM
My hemline just touches the crease in the back of my knees. My goal is to trim back to that crease every 3 months, or so.

I do love classic best but it has been fun to get to this length. In my wildest imaginations, I never thought I would make it. Wonders never cease. :)

"Hello" to all of you wonderful folks in this thread. (Yes, Teazel, you will make it!)

BTW, these are braid waves, not my normal wave pattern.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Tasarwen/kneelength-2300.jpg

RachelRain
July 16th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I was actually just about to ask if that was natural, because you can see in the middle how the wave sorta dips down at an angle, which is kind of pretty... and then I saw your comment. So thank you for clarifying in advance :)

Teazel
July 17th, 2010, 05:00 PM
"Hello" to all of you wonderful folks in this thread. (Yes, Teazel, you will make it!)

Thank you, harpgal! It's lovely to see you. Your hair looks glorious - and has such a thick hemline! :crush:

Teazel
July 29th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Well, I'm happy to announce that my hair had a growth spurt this month, and I've reached my goal! :hollie: I wasn't going to measure until the beginning of next August, but it's only a few days away and I couldn't wait. :D

Here's the obligatory photo, taken this evening. My hem isn't nice and full like harpgal's; it's all fairytaley. But wispy as it is, the ends have definitely reached my knees. (There's a pin in my skirt marking the crease of my knee.)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2415&pictureid=78059

So the plan now is to maintain here, trimming now and then, and with luck I might gain a thicker hem. Fingers crossed! :)

Feng-Shui
July 29th, 2010, 06:31 AM
I makes me happy for you which you your goal reached. :flower:

Your hair is beautifully Teazel. :thud:

I has now hair envy.:o

Hopefully I know in some months also a goal reach knee length to announce.:pray:

Loreley
July 29th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Congratulations on reaching your goal, Teazel! Your hair is so gorgeous! :thudpile:

heidihug
July 29th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Teazel, your hair is gawgeous! Thanks for sharing your pic!

Starfilly
July 29th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Congratulations, Teazel! Looks lovely. :agree:

LeaM07
July 29th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Yay!! Congratulations, Teazel!

(It looks more U-shaped than fairy-taley to me. :))

harpgal
July 29th, 2010, 10:23 AM
:bigeyes: Absolutely stunning, Teazel! I am so happy that you have reached your goal. It's fun, isn't it? You have so much volume all the way down your length that I'm sure your hem will fill out to a degree that pleases you. Well done, my dear weyrmate.

SurprisingWoman
July 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Teazel, congrats on reaching your goal!

I have been at classic for a month but I would love to reach knee.

Ah well, some year...

Teazel
July 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Thank you so much for the congrats and compliments, everyone! :flowers:

I'm so relieved to have reached this goal; as I posted before in this thread, I was afraid I never would. My grandmother had knee-length hair as a girl and I really wanted it too, just once in my life. I'll be even happier when that hemline thickens up.

Now... what about ankle length....? :eyebrows: :lol:

harpgal
July 30th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Now... what about ankle length....? :eyebrows: :lol:LOL! Oh Teazel! What a maniac you are! OK, but you first....

kmoc123
July 30th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I still have a few inches before classic, but knee length is my goal...love to read your posts!!! Grow on!!!

Maribel
July 30th, 2010, 10:11 AM
How many of us between classic and knee still wear hair down frequently?
does this make you wear it up more?
And do you see more damage at these longer lengths than you did when it was shorter than classic?

I now have calf length hair. It is a pain, absolute pain, to wear down. I only wear it down at home or for something special that I can show it off at. Outside of home there are too many things it can catch on or get in. Even at home it is in the way. Yesterday at home I slammed a door on my hair and continued walking! Plus I really don't like the attention it gives me unless I am in the mood for comments.

As for damage. I don't really see any more than what I had when it was shorter. This actually surprised me. The ends do feel a little drier, but the breakage isn't too bad. There are more perils such as getting it caught in something and tearing the ends out, but if I take care of it it is okay.

Nevada Rose
August 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
Teazel, congrats on reaching your goal!

I have been at classic for a month but I would love to reach knee.

Ah well, some year...

SW......such beautiful hair you have, and LUV the color!:sun:

WritingPrincess
August 3rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
I got to barely classic! Onward to knee!

Paniculata
August 3rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Its been a year since I was last on these boards and in that time ive only gained 4" .. that does however take me down past my knee! When showering a few months ago, I threw it over my shoulder and jumped about a foot in the air when something wet and slimy slapped me on the calf! Took me a moment to realise that it was me ;) True, I have thin fairytale ends so there isnt a lot of hair down there, but still! I figured I should take a photo, its been a while since ive seen what my hair looks like behind me lol. Apparently, its really hard to photograph my hair? I forgot about that, I cant get my ends to look like they do in real life, but it will do :)

Id love to find some new ways of wearing my hair, I feel kind of bad for it, being shoved in a bun day in and day out, but im not sure what styles can be accomplished with hair this length.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4858134067_3c1c79b345.jpg

SurprisingWoman
August 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
Nevada Rose: Thank you! This thread is really inspiring me to grow and grow.

Pear Martini
August 3rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Just wanted to say this thread is jaw dropping and inspiring :o

gossamer
August 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
SW......such beautiful hair you have, and LUV the color!:sun:

I have to agree with you!

SW and Teazel, I can only hope that when I go grey my hair looks as gorgeous. :)

My mother and grandmother haven't greyed much, their browns just sort of faded - I'm hoping against hope for some gorgeous silver.

EdG
August 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
That's fantastic Harpgal and Teazel! :)

Teazel - your ends are not thin. I know all about thin ends. I have 20 strands down there. :lol:
Ed

Nyghtingale
August 3rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
Teazel-So beautiful!!

TXbarbie
August 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Just wanted to say this thread is jaw dropping and inspiring :oYes I agree! :D

Nyghtingale
August 3rd, 2010, 09:32 PM
First new picture in awhile. Can I call this knee?

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu115/nyghtingale/080310.jpg

EdG
August 4th, 2010, 08:20 AM
First new picture in awhile. Can I call this knee?The camera is at an angle, and you are leaning back. The stripes on your shirt give this away. :D
Ed

Angela_Rose
August 4th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Wow, Teazel. Way to make a girl envious. Your hair is absolutely lovely and congratulations!

harpgal
August 4th, 2010, 03:36 PM
That's fantastic Harpgal and Teazel! :)EdWhy, thank you Ed! That's sweet of you! It sure feels good to be past the "no-man's land" of thigh and staying in one place for a while.

Nyghtingale
August 4th, 2010, 05:02 PM
The camera is at an angle, and you are leaning back. The stripes on your shirt give this away. :D
Ed

My hubby took the picture and I was not leaning, but whatever.

EdG
August 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
My hubby took the picture and I was not leaning, but whatever.Okay. It's hard to tell the length from the picture due to parallax. Explain this to your husband and ask him to try again. :)
Ed

suffer-cait
August 4th, 2010, 06:14 PM
my hair is classic if you count the very tips of my faerie tale ends. it'll probably be a while before i am averaging classic, however.

Henrietta
August 8th, 2010, 08:23 AM
my hair is classic if you count the very tips of my faerie tale ends. it'll probably be a while before i am averaging classic, however.

The very tips count! Congrats! :)

blctsyllwdg
August 11th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Cut back to an inch above fingertip this morning. The years of oil, braid, ignore have reached the end. I was seeing what terminal was, but now I'm not sure.

Teazel
August 12th, 2010, 04:26 PM
You guys are the best. Thank you for your kind words. :o :flowers:

JamieLeigh
August 12th, 2010, 06:50 PM
It made me realize that I had to make the stick the base upon which I build my updo, rather than trying to use it like a glorified hairpin.

I LOVE this way of thinking, gossamer! :D

I'm so relieved to have reached this goal; as I posted before in this thread, I was afraid I never would. My grandmother had knee-length hair as a girl and I really wanted it too, just once in my life. I'll be even happier when that hemline thickens up.

Now... what about ankle length....? :eyebrows: :lol:

Congrats!! That's so wonderful!! Wow, the things I miss on my sabbaticals. ;)

(to SurprisingWoman)......such beautiful hair you have, and LUV the color!:sun:

I agree, absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to have silvers all the way down my back and legs. :crush:

I got to barely classic! Onward to knee!

Congrats!! Welcome to our humble (? lol) thread. 8)

The very tips certainly count. Otherwise some of us would not be in this thread (and I would still be averaging barely-classic lol) So.....Yay, congrats! :) Welcome to the C2K thread. :cheer:

If not, you're so close you can taste it. Looks so gorgeous and thick, and I envy those ends of yours. :crush:

CherrySilver
August 13th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I definitely knew that I was well on my way to knee when I had a very new sensation today. While stretching with my hands over my head and arching my back, I could feel the tips of my hair tickling the back of my knees!

It was very surprising and definitely an "Oh, my!" kind of experience, just like the first time I felt my hair grazing the tops of my thighs when I sat down. Smile...

Teazel
August 13th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Congrats!! That's so wonderful!! Wow, the things I miss on my sabbaticals. ;)

Thank you, JamieLeigh. :)

CherrySilver, I remember the first time that happened to me - it's a new and delightful sensation, isn't it? Now when I tip my head back the ends brush my calves, which is another new sensation. :hollie:

EdG
August 13th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Teazel, hair brushing the calves is the coolest feeling. :cheese:

I've grown used to it. I joke that if my wispy ends didn't brush my calves, I'd feel n*ked. :lol:
Ed

Nevada Rose
August 14th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I measure a hair length of 42" which is a little past classic length for me. I am on my way to knee length. {Thought I might as well get in on this too.}

Coriander
August 14th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Wanted to pop in here and let you all know that there will probably be a sudden influx of new Classic-To-Knee members here at the New Year from the Tailbone-to-Classic thread. :lol: We're hoping for magic growth within the next four months. :p

RachelRain
August 14th, 2010, 07:59 PM

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu115/nyghtingale/080310.jpg

Gorgeous. And you don't look like you were leaning to me, either. Stripes just have a way of confusing the eye. I know they make me nautious if someone's moving while wearing thin stripes.

Aaaaand jealous, cuz your hair's longer than mine and it's stuck and not growing. grr.

gossamer
August 14th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I'm so close to knee it's just ridiculous. C'mon, hair!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5520&pictureid=79395

Longlocks3
August 14th, 2010, 09:59 PM
gossamer that's a beautiful picture!

I want to graduate to the knee+ thread :(.

But I can't wait for the influx of new enrollees to this group. :bounce:

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Wanted to pop in here and let you all know that there will probably be a sudden influx of new Classic-To-Knee members here at the New Year from the Tailbone-to-Classic thread. :lol: We're hoping for magic growth within the next four months. :p

We do exactly the same thing in "BSL to waist":D:D We are hoping for magical gifts from Santa Claus for Christmas- extra inch or two of sudden growth, so we'll be able to move to "waist to tailbone" :D

gossamer- eight weeks and you will be there!

Longlocks3, where we have a knee+ thread? I am not planning to join (yet), I just wanted to find an inspiration:)

Nevada Rose
August 15th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I'm so close to knee it's just ridiculous. C'mon, hair!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5520&pictureid=79395

You don't have far to go..:cheese: Just lovely!

Lunnafindel
August 15th, 2010, 04:01 PM
gossamer, the thickness and shine of your hair make up for the inch or two you may lack, I don't think anyone would argue if you started telling them your hair is knee-length - they'll just be boggled by your hair en masse. Great job!
I myself despair of ever achieving a thick hemline. I cut 5 inches to thicken the hem in March and now it looks just the same as before except shorter - my hair hasn't grown as fast as my hemline has disintegrated. :'( sigh. I don't know what to do now...I thought that if I took better care of my hair, the hemline would thicken, but no such luck.

gossamer
August 15th, 2010, 05:46 PM
gossamer, the thickness and shine of your hair make up for the inch or two you may lack, I don't think anyone would argue if you started telling them your hair is knee-length - they'll just be boggled by your hair en masse. Great job!
I myself despair of ever achieving a thick hemline. I cut 5 inches to thicken the hem in March and now it looks just the same as before except shorter - my hair hasn't grown as fast as my hemline has disintegrated. :'( sigh. I don't know what to do now...I thought that if I took better care of my hair, the hemline would thicken, but no such luck.

I might have another inch because of the braid waves (that's also what makes it look thick). It's rarely straight though, since I never have the patience to let it dry before throwing it up into a braid or buns.

Maybe the hair down at the ends is from sometime when you were not as healthy or eating not as nutritiously? It might not be as strong as the rest of your hair. I know the circumference of my hair has improved in the past couple years since I got out of college and started eating more balanced meals. I'm sure the ends will ultimately improve after further care and maybe more small trims. :)

tanya222
August 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Gossamer, your hair is just... just... :thud:

You have both my dream hair and my dream figure!

*makes resolution to cut back on the d*mn donuts*