PDA

View Full Version : If it's not one thing, it's another....

JCFantasy23
October 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Went to my movie convention this weekend feeling pretty good about my hair. I switched over two weeks ago to no-cones and my hair has been loving it. Doesn't get as greasy by far with no washing for a few days either. :eyebrows: I have stopped shedding tons, and with all the conditioner I very rarely get tangles.

My goal is to reduce mechanical damage and breakage from tangling....with no tangling and little shedding, I'm happy about getting my ends thickened up eventually. http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/CFAngel180/biggrin.gif

Okay, so off I go and then I eek a few times. For some strange reason my hair seems to have acquired some very thin strands of what looks like lightened hair at the top. Highlights would be pretty, but what on earth? They are not the whole strand, just small bits of my hair. I can't notice unless I am in certain lighting. I called my friend in and asked if she thought I was suddenly going gray in hundreds of weird spots, or if it was just lighter, but she said not on gray (I agree, it's more like a dark blonde color).

Then I noticed, to my horror, that I seriously have dandruff at the top of my scalp. It doesnt go on my clothes, my hair doesnt itch or feel dry, nor does my scalp.

I am wondering if the dandruff could have been from conditioning my scalp a lot lately. I stopped since I found I didnt like my hair as much as conditioning mainly my ends and the bottom half, it just made it feel waxy. Can cone free conditioner cause dandruff at first?

Amara
October 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I got lots of extra flakes when I went CO... now I dilute a shampoo and wash with that every other time. :)

JCFantasy23
October 14th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Yes I'm thinking thats it. I tried to do CO a few times over the last two weeks but it makes my hair feel like it has build up and a little grimy. So I've been washing with very diluted shampoo on the scalp, then conditioning the rest of the hair, putting a very small amount around the scalp area. So far that seems to work the best. Since I typically wash every other day, and sometimes three to four days, I think it should be fine. HEre's hoping that was the cause of the dandruff and that it will disappear now!

Dars
October 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I have seen some of my strands have segmented bits of lighter hair throughout it, but it's at the ends so I snip them off because I assumed it's damage. I've heard hair gets lighter in colour naturally as you age.

JCFantasy23
October 14th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I have seen some of my strands have segmented bits of lighter hair throughout it, but it's at the ends so I snip them off because I assumed it's damage. I've heard hair gets lighter in colour naturally as you age.

The color I'm referring to is actually at the very top of my head, and not at the ends of those hairs, so it's odd. It's not at the roots exactly, like a new color is growing in, just seems like parts of some of the hair got bleached a little or something. Maybe it was just a very weird fluke.:confused:

Dars
October 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM
The sun could of very well lightened it naturally then. Are you outside often or for a long period of time irregularly with no hat/head scarf?

JCFantasy23
October 14th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I must have serious brain freeze moments but I never considered that. It could be, and I can only see the lighting in the lights used at the hotel since they are very bright. I guess if the sun lightened some of the top it just did in spots, leaving the color a little spotty. I keep wondering why my hair sometimes seems like it wants to lighten and sometimes is darker, perhaps thats it, although I didn't think I was in the sun THAT much. I do live in Florida though and summer is just ending, so possibly.

I can't take a picture as my camera wouldn't catch what Im talking about, the pictures it takes are a little dark and I need a new camera.

blondecat
October 15th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I must have serious brain freeze moments but I never considered that. It could be, and I can only see the lighting in the lights used at the hotel since they are very bright. I guess if the sun lightened some of the top it just did in spots, leaving the color a little spotty. I keep wondering why my hair sometimes seems like it wants to lighten and sometimes is darker, perhaps thats it, although I didn't think I was in the sun THAT much. I do live in Florida though and summer is just ending, so possibly.

I can't take a picture as my camera wouldn't catch what Im talking about, the pictures it takes are a little dark and I need a new camera.

LOL. I get points like little diamonds all over my hair.

Sun Bleached, whilst wearing plaits :)

JCFantasy23
October 15th, 2009, 10:25 AM
At least the mysteries are solved! I thought I was going crazy lol

longhairedfairy
October 15th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Do you use any kind of acne medication/lotion? Some of them (esp. benzoyl peroxide) can bleach hair and/or clothes. That would make sense if it's only in certain spots and close to the hairline.