PDA

View Full Version : Miss the slip!

whiteisle
October 14th, 2009, 10:44 AM
So I've gone back to using my CV bars (in fact just ordered more) because I like the idea of "natural" vs. "lab created synthetics and chemicals". However, I miss the slip I get from cone products. I've tried oil but if I put on any more than I do it will be too greasy. I've tried aloe and that for some reason makes my hair not so nice.

I get great body and softness from the bars but absolutely no slip even though I use an acv rinse. And I think that in turn might contribute to tangles, snarls, breakage, etc. I don't have a pray of running my hands through my hair - I get stopped in the first 3-4 inches! It makes me so tempted to go back and use the regular stuff but then I'll be kicking myself. What's a long hair wannbe to do??

Amara
October 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
There's nothing inherently wrong with cones - they work for some people and don't work for others. You can have hair just as long and beautiful using cones and not using them - it depends on your own personal taste and your own hair and its reactions. :flower:

I also miss the slip when I use CV bars, which I do quite a bit... so after my acv rinse, I put a teensy bit of (no cone) conditioner (V05 usually) on the bottom half. Gives me nice slip but I'm still doing what my hair likes. :)

MsBubbles
October 14th, 2009, 12:17 PM
It's up to you about the cones. I have gone back to cones after wasting so much money on cone free conditioners, trying to find one that worked.

The knots and matting I get from no-cones, I believe, damages my hair worse than the cones do.

I did reach somewhat of a compromise though, and use no-cone conditioner for my first condition (while I shampoo my scalp), and a mix of no-cones and cones on the last condition, so I can get a comb through it afterwards.

BlndeInDisguise
October 14th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Have you tried a coneless conditioner after using the CV bar? I've found that an acv rinse just wasn't enough for my hair when I used shampoo bars, and I need something a little extra or my hair would be very tangly.

melikai
October 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Another thing you could try is rinses or treatments with herbs. Marshmallow root is especially good at providing a slip similar to silicones.

Liluri
October 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I've found that using CV bars to wash, a diluted vinegar mix and a conditioner on the ends, (with or without cones, as I swap all the time) gives me great slip. You can experiment and rotate to find your best fit.

Flynn
October 14th, 2009, 07:39 PM
(Just by the way with the aloe vera, it works like a gel. Like, a conventional, light-hold hair gel. It is great as a component of a deep treatment, such as an SMT, but as a leave-in, it is meant to do the opposite of what you want.)

Fractalsofhair
October 14th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Maybe try a stronger vinegar rinse? My hair actually slips very well without cones, cones almost make it catch more... I'm not sure why. Try conditioner, that will probably give you slip.

clairenewcastle
October 14th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Another thing you could try is rinses or treatments with herbs. Marshmallow root is especially good at providing a slip similar to silicones.

This is what I do too. Marshmallow root is good but burdock root has a higher oil content.
However, catnip tea is the best of all. Can I suggest you read the catnip thread by ktani? Not only does it strengthen hair but it gives amazing "slip".

alys
October 14th, 2009, 08:32 PM
How about Jungle conditioner from Lush?? I recently tried it myself and was very pleased, though that's just me. There are lots of reviews to read thru on their site to help get an idea of what it's about. Even when I used shampoo bars I still used some type of conditioner along w/ the ACV...my hair just needed it. Solid conditioner is interesting :)

Roseate
October 14th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I second the "try a cone-free conditioner" suggestion.

Or try the plants; catnip, fenugreek (also known as methi), etc. My hair does better with conditioner than with plants, but lots of folks here love them, especially the catnip. Fenugreek is very slippy, too slippy for me in fact.

ravenreed
October 15th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I have only found one non-cone conditioner to give excellent slip and that is the Sally's knockoff of Biolage. I use that, ears down, after I use Suave just so I can detangle my ends. I have nothing against cones for my hair, but when I went CO I was worried about build up.