PDA

View Full Version : How does water-drinking help hair growth?

Canarygirl
October 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I am one of those people who has a hard time drinking water. On a good day I manage to get about 6 glasses of fluids in, including lattes, tea, water, etc. I virtually never make it to 8 glasses.

But I see numerous references to water-drinking as being important for hair growth. Can anyone explain the biological mechanics of that to me? Maybe it will help my motivation. :)

Shiva
October 14th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Yes, I would like to know, too, because I have a hard time drinking water. Every once in a blue moon my body will crave water, but I mostly drink iced tea.

:shrug:

GoddesJourney
October 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I hate water myself, but it's pretty much good for everything in your body. Lack of water decreases things like cell reproduction kidney function, (believe it or not) brain efficiency, lymphatic movement, etc. Your body needs water to function. Not enough water pretty much cuts back on everything important.

Rivanariko
October 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I think it has more to do with general health than directly affecting hair growth. Drinking more water is supposed to improve your health and keep you better hydrated, and the healthier you are, the better your hair should grow.

On a side note though, there's been a lot of recent research that has said that the "8 glasses a day" rule is actually just a random number pulled out of the sky...different people have different fluid needs. Water is definitely healthier for you than soda or lattes, so if you're wanting to improve your health you might focus on drinking water instead of other things, but there's no reason to chug a bunch of water if your body isn't asking for it.

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 10:16 AM
If you don't drink enough pure water, your kidneys have to work too hard to filter everything else out of your fluids, and you can go into kidney failure. My MIL only drank alcoholic drinks, Pepsi, milk, coffee, and juice for years, and she was on kidney dialysis by the time she was in her mid-to-late 50s. Her doctor had been telling her she needed to increase her water intake, and she ignored him because "I don't like water".

Drinking water increases the amount of moisture in your hair, and since you lose moisture as it grows, best to start out with more than enough, yes? Water is vital for the function of every cell in your body, including your hair follicles, so don't allow yourself to have excuses. Do what you have to do to get at least 4 cups of water per day - set a timer; whatever. Just do it.

By the way, according to my research, the recommendation for 8 cups of water per day was not just pulled out of somebody's butt, it was based on measurements of how much moisture the average person loses per day through urine, evaporation from skin cells, sweat, etc. But it's not the same for every person, it's an average. Some people need less, some need even more because of exercise, body surface area, hot, dry climate, and so forth.

Shiva
October 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM
If you don't drink enough pure water, your kidneys have to work too hard to filter everything else out of your fluids, and you can go into kidney failure. My MIL only drank alcoholic drinks, Pepsi, milk, coffee, and juice for years, and she was on kidney dialysis by the time she was in her mid-to-late 50s. Her doctor had been telling her she needed to increase her water intake, and she ignored him because "I don't like water".

Drinking water increases the amount of moisture in your hair, and since you lose moisture as it grows, best to start out with more than enough, yes? Water is vital for the function of every cell in your body, including your hair follicles, so don't allow yourself to have excuses. Do what you have to do to get at least 4 cups of water per day - set a timer; whatever. Just do it.

By the way, according to my research, the recommendation for 8 cups of water per day was not just pulled out of somebody's butt, it was based on measurements of how much moisture the average person loses per day through urine, evaporation from skin cells, sweat, etc. But it's not the same for every person, it's an average. Some people need less, some need even more because of exercise, body surface area, hot, dry climate, and so forth.

EEEEK... I'm gonna drink me some aqua! STAT

Ok, you've convinced me!

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
PS - the 4 cups of water that I recommended you try to get per day, that's IN ADDITION to any other fluid you are already drinking.

paperwhite
October 14th, 2009, 10:40 AM
A bunch of reasons why water is good for you have already been posted, so I'll just tell you how I meet my daily water requirements--For me it's an out of sight, out of mind issue, so I keep my liter sized Nalgene bottle right next to me all day. It's never more than 10 inches away from me at work and I find myself absent-mindedly sipping (sometimes gulping) from it all the time. If it's right in front of you, you can't ignore it. I've been doing this (keeping water close at hand all the time) for so long now, that if I don't, something doesn't feel quite right--like I've accidentally put a ring on the wrong finger or something. Try making a habit out of it and before you know it, you'll be getting whatever amount of water your body feels like it needs. Also, you'll eventually be able to better tell when you're dehydrated. I can definitely feel it when I haven't had enough water at the end of the day or for a couple days in a row.

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I used to go to bed and wake up thirsty, then realize that I hadn't taken a single swallow of water all day. Now I keep water close at hand in a pint jar or water bottle almost all the time and drink 2 or 3 of them a day. I still wake up at night thirsty sometimes, though; what a pain! I keep a glass of water at my bedside, too.

Heidi_234
October 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Yeap, I carry a 1 liter water bottle anywhere with me. I even carry it around the house, and take sips when I lay my eyes on it. I'm sure that if I could manage to work myself up to drinking water, then everybody can. Make it mandatory, but don't force yourself to drink all the RDA at first. It's only after I made the transition from barely drinking a cup of tea/coffee a day to drinking more than 1 liter of actual water on top of other drinks, that I started to understand the signal my body desperately sent to me, it's not just thirst that indicates you need to drink.
Drink more water folks, it's good for your hair too. ;)

Amara
October 14th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Start with adding one cup of water in the morning to your normal routine. When that feels normal, add another cup at lunch or some other handy time. Pretty soon, you'll feel thirstier for more fluids and then that'll keep you motivated!

I challenged myself to drink 80 oz of water each day for a few weeks a month or two ago and now I drink almost that amount naturally because I'm thirsy for it. I hated it at first. (80oz of water + other fluids is a lot! It's because I exercise 2-4hrs per day. You probably need less!)

hanne jensen
October 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I fill a pitcher with water every night before bed and put it in the fridge. Water from the fridge tastes much better than from the tap. I always have a glass of water beside me, even at the computer. Cheers!

Anje
October 14th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Yep... I wake up in the morning feeling parched, and so often don't bother to drink more than a swallow or so to moisten my mouth. It's no wonder I'm thirsty in the mornings!

Goal lately has been to have my big ol' (well, new, thanks to the BPA thing) Nalgene bottle next to the bed and finish it once before I leave for school in the morning. But I didn't do it today. :(

Hay22
October 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Everyone else has really covered what I was going to say, I just wanted to add one thing: the doctor I work for always tells our patients to drink half their body weight in ounces. Example: If you weigh 120 lbs, you should be drinking at least 60oz in water each day.

Oh! Also, teas, coffee, and sodas all acts as diuretics, so they aren't really all that hydrating... at all.

Canarygirl
October 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM
thanks, everybody.

The other day I ran across a reference to "chronic dehydration," (can't rememeber where) but it said that many people have this condition and don't know it. And that one of the results of chronic dehydration is frequent migraines. Since I get migraines that should be enough incentive right there!

Armelle
October 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM
thanks, everybody.

The other day I ran across a reference to "chronic dehydration," (can't rememeber where) but it said that many people have this condition and don't know it. And that one of the results of chronic dehydration is frequent migraines. Since I get migraines that should be enough incentive right there!

As was mentioned previously, having a bottle of water (with water in it :D) right in front of you (mine is beside the monitor) does help with water drinking...and I don't like the taste of water either. I don't care if it's filtered 7 ways from Sunday, it just taste BLEH. I do get migraines (have had one since Friday matter o' fact) and have not noticed any difference whether I drink water or not. But I have heard the same thing, dehydration can lead to bad headaches.

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 12:56 PM
thanks, everybody.

Oh true! I completely forgot to mention this. A headache is always a signal for me to drink more water, and probably 8 times out of 10, a cup of water will cure the headache within about 20 minutes.

BeatlesFanGirl
October 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I LOVE water and I have thirst for it, still my skin and hair are dry. :( On a hot summer day I drank 2 X 1,5 bottles + a few glasses of water that is 3,5 liters (almost a gallon). I don't drink anything else but water, sometimes herbal tee.

Barbie Diamond
October 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM
If you are always thirsty, you might have diabetes.

Also keep in mind that 8oz is pretty small. In america almost all glasses are 12 to 16 ounces or more. 8 oz. is a cup or morning juice glass. So if someone is drinking 6 glasses then they might be drinking 72 or more ounces (or 8 oz. more than the average).

talecon
October 14th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I survived a good 16 years without barely drinkin 'just water' and I'm always healthy but since I just had a baby my mom told me to lose the last bit of baby weight I should drink more water and I'm one of those people that hate water with a passion. so she suggested those crystal light packets to put in bottled water. I found one for energy that has caffeine in it and I'm a biiiiiig caffeine feind so needless to say I'm hooked on it. I even got sum next to me right now. but atleast I'm drinking water. I'm still skeptical when it comes to how 'healthy' water is since bottled water comes from spring where many animals wash and fish poop in it and the government has been putting flouride in water which is basically just feeding small amounts of poison.
o.O

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I survived a good 16 years without barely drinkin 'just water' and I'm always healthy but since I just had a baby my mom told me to lose the last bit of baby weight I should drink more water and I'm one of those people that hate water with a passion. so she suggested those crystal light packets to put in bottled water. I found one for energy that has caffeine in it and I'm a biiiiiig caffeine feind so needless to say I'm hooked on it. I even got sum next to me right now. but atleast I'm drinking water. I'm still skeptical when it comes to how 'healthy' water is since bottled water comes from spring where many animals wash and fish poop in it and the government has been putting flouride in water which is basically just feeding small amounts of poison.
o.O

I think we are better off filtering our tap water rather than buying bottled water in most cases. Remember that adding flavor and caffeine to your water makes your kidneys work harder, so this is probably not your best option, but better than no water, for sure. It can take a long time for dehydration can negatively impact your health, so just because you haven't had problems up to age 26 doesn't mean you won't.

talecon
October 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM
ya but tap water comes from some pretty old pipes that may leak rust into it no?

talecon
October 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
all I can say is my kidney and liver are troopers cuz I've put them through some torture. but of course nothing lasts forever.

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
ya but tap water comes from some pretty old pipes that may leak rust into it no?

Oh yes - true. That is why it is good to buy a water filter. It removes things like rust, also impurities that are too small to see with the eye. A good water filter will also remove chlorine, which most public water systems add to kill bacteria.

I saw a show on T.V. where they tested a lot of bottled water, even very expensive bottled water, and bottled water is often more contaminated than tap water. So we can save our money when it comes to buying bottled water. Buy a water filter instead.

Lemur_Catta
October 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I love water :D I usually drink up to 4 liters (maybe a gallon?) a day. I always have water with me, whenever I go. When I go out, I have a bottle in my bag, and many people think this is weird because if I was thirsty I could just buy a bottle of water when I am out, it is not that expensive here, 50 cent-1euro x 0.5 bottle. BUT I drink a lot, and I don't understand why I should buy something that I can take from home :D
When I am at home, I always have a bottle of water sitting next to me. Sometimes I drink from it without even thinking, then look at the bottle and see it is empty :D

I know that to see if your body has enough water, you should check your urine. If it is pale-yellow, not so smelly (except in the morning, if you have slept, not drinking and not urinating all night it is normal for it to be smelly and darker) then you are fine. If your urine is always very smelly and dark, then you need to drink more water.
If you urinate a lot, and your urine is almost transparent and not smelly, than you could have diabetes insipidus, but if you worry you are not drinking enough that is not the case, since one other symptom is extreme thirst :D

@talecon: That is my concern too. I know tap water is controlled and drinkable, but you never know about your pipes. If you live in a old building or if you don't know for sure, better to buy bottled water.

talecon
October 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM
yea but most water filters cant filter out fluoride and ones that do are verrry expensive

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I don't think our water system has fluoride.

Leena7
October 14th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I have read several articles about how much water you should drink daily, mainly because I have a hard time forcing myself to drink 8 glasses or whatever I thought was the recommended amount. http://www.livestrong.com/article/24829-daily-requirements-water-consumption/ I think this was helpful for me.

Kris Dove
October 14th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I wish I could drink more water- I have to go 4 hours in the morning and another 4 hours in the afternoon at work without drinking as we're not allowed water on the sales floor, and feel totally dehydrated well before the end of a shift. Can't be good for me. I drink loads in evenings and weekends to try and make up for it!

Buddaphlyy
October 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I don't drink 8 glasses of water a day, never have and probably never will. No doctor has ever told me the amount of water I drink was insufficient. So I just give my body what it wants. Sometimes that's pop, tea, water, whatever.

PhillyGirl1978@
October 14th, 2009, 05:01 PM

My mom never drank water, only diet soda and coffee. She had awful kidney stones and her one kidney stopped working all together. Her skin was dry and she wasn't very healthy, that is due to a lot of things but her NOT drinking any water didn't help. I drink more water than anyone...I am constantly filling up my bottle, and my skin is incredibly clear and healthy. My hair grows pretty quickly now, my weight is under control and all of my other numbers are good, (sugar, cholesterol,blood pressure) So I'm sure that the water think helps it all!

clairenewcastle
October 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I have made a point of drinking at least two litres of water a day since the age of 18 and my hair has grown very slowly all my life. I realise the health benefits of all that water but as for contributing to hair growth - no.

aprilmay
October 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I drink water frequently and one of the side effects is waking up in the night to go to the bathroom, but I usually have at least a sip of water each time I get up in the night as well.

Thank you for sharing the facts behind water and its health attributes for hair.

aprilmay
October 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM
This thread is making me thirsty right now!

Poppy Seed
October 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I keep trying to drink more water, not especially for hair growth though. I am another person who really doesn't find water a thrilling drink!

When I'm at work I drink several large mugs of green tea with jasmine (instead of regular tea with milk & sugar) as I like to think that's a bit better for me and I've read good things about green tea! I tend have it quite weak otherwise the tannins make it slightly bitter. When I'm cold in the winter I often have a mug of plain boiled water to warm me up in between teas. I used to drink boiled water while I lived in China and kind of like the flavour...it's a little sweeter than tap or filtered water.

Otherwise, I tend to drink weak cordial or watered orange juice (it's cheaper because it makes the juice/cordial last longer). In the summer months I do occasionally crave a cold glass of water - but that's usually during or after a run or vigorous dance class. We keep bottles of tap water in the fridge because that way we can't taste the chlorine.

I've heard that if you're feeling hungry you should actually drink something before reaching for the snacks because it's more likely that your body is a bit dehydrated. So if I've got the munchies I'll grab some cold water to sip - usually it's nasty enough to put thoughts of food right out of my mind!! :)

Shiva
October 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I am drinking water right now!

Runzel
October 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM
The following suggestion is just theorizing on my part, so feel free to take it or leave it. :)

I wonder if drinking tea, pop, and other liquids can make you less thirsty for water, and if you were to cut them out your body would begin to re-adjust itself to crave and actually enjoy water. Perhaps it is similar to eating a good healthy meal, in that if you fill up on junk food beforehand you won't be hungry enough to enjoy the good stuff. So instead of forcing yourself to eat the good stuff, it might be good to start with cutting out the bad stuff and then see if you actually want to eat the good stuff, or in this case, drink water.

Just a thought.

I'm not saying all other liquids are necessarily bad, just that they might be interfering with your body's natural desire for pure water.

Buddaphlyy
October 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM
The following suggestion is just theorizing on my part, so feel free to take it or leave it. :)

I wonder if drinking tea, pop, and other liquids can make you less thirsty for water, and if you were to cut them out your body would begin to re-adjust itself to crave and actually enjoy water. Perhaps it is similar to eating a good healthy meal, in that if you fill up on junk food beforehand you won't be hungry enough to enjoy the good stuff. So instead of forcing yourself to eat the good stuff, it might be good to start with cutting out the bad stuff and then see if you actually want to eat the good stuff, or in this case, drink water.

Just a thought.

I'm not saying all other liquids are necessarily bad, just that they might be interfering with your body's natural desire for pure water.

Something I though was ironic when I first heard it, but it makes a lot of sense to me now that I'm in a science class. Drinking pure (or distilled) water, especially exclusively, is one of the worst things you can do. Kind of for the same reason you shouldn't only drink water when you do strenuous exercise. It alone is not enough. Water hydrates you, yes, but you also need carbs, sugars, proteins, and a whole host of other stuff to be balanced. If you you only drink water, you could potentially be filling up your cells so much that they don't have room for the other stuff and then you end up being in worse shape than when you started.

HappyHair87
October 14th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Water is a lifesaver for me....i am a victim of depression and i notice when i drink plenty of water....i feel more happier and refreshed than if i only drink juice and tea and the occasional soda.

Stephichan
October 14th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Gosh, this is making me thirsty. I know that I don't drink enough water, and to make things worse, I live in an effing desert!

Still, I know that I'm doing really bad when my right hand gets itchy. I have this spot on that hand that, when I'm really dehydrated, cracks very easily. Last spring I started drinking a lot more water and it healed from my knuckle leaving only a smooth scar that is slowly fading. However, there's a new one on the back of my hand just an inch away from the old one :( The more water I drink, the faster I heal (I've had shallow cuts or cracks heal the same day when I'm properly hydrated).

Also, I suck my thumb when I sleep (and sometimes during the day if I'm all alone and not paying attention - very embarrassing) and if I'm not well hydrated it feels horrible - like my thumb is made of velcro.

Shiva
October 14th, 2009, 10:52 PM

I wonder if drinking tea, pop, and other liquids can make you less thirsty for water, and if you were to cut them out your body would begin to re-adjust itself to crave and actually enjoy water.
I quit drinking soda a long, looong time ago, but there was one thing I noticed about certain colas and Pepsi-type drinks... they usually made me thirstier!

Vijikanth
October 15th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Water is one of the most essential input for a healthy being. the fact is that we spend lots of time in airconditioner which makes you forget that you need water. Only when we see someone drinking water do you realise that you are thirsty. I have a water bottle near to my desk in the office. If water is there, I immediately gulp it. Otherwise It'll atleast remind me to drink water.

BeatlesFanGirl
October 16th, 2009, 05:16 AM
If you are always thirsty, you might have diabetes.

I go to blood tests regularly and the results are normal so I don't have diabetes. :)

Anje
October 16th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Water hydrates you, yes, but you also need carbs, sugars, proteins, and a whole host of other stuff to be balanced. If you you only drink water, you could potentially be filling up your cells so much that they don't have room for the other stuff and then you end up being in worse shape than when you started.
Usually, you get carbs/sugars, proteins, fats, etc. from food, though, not from the liquids you drink. Our bodies are set up for that, and tend to not have such good signals for caloric consumption in liquid form. Don't worry about "filling up your cells." Your body knows how to keep an osmotic balance, and it's pretty difficult to over-hydrate to the point where you throw it off (unless you're on drugs like ecstasy, which seem to make water intoxication more likely). Your kidneys help take care of a lot of this, by concentrating urine or not, depending on how much water there is available for excretion.

spidermom
October 16th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I've heard of a few people who died of over-consumption of water. One of them was in a radio show stunt to drink a gallon of water the fastest to win the newest video game station, and she won! but lost her life in the process. Sad. I had some roommates who would only buy distilled water, which they said could leach minerals from the bones, so they'd pour the water into a bowl and put some kind of stone in it; I don't know what it was. I still think that getting a good water filter, then drinking a reasonable amount of filtered water - at LEAST a quart a day - is essential for good health. I'll get enzymes, salt, and all that other stuff that we need for good electrolyte balance from food.

Buddaphlyy
October 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Usually, you get carbs/sugars, proteins, fats, etc. from food, though, not from the liquids you drink. Our bodies are set up for that, and tend to not have such good signals for caloric consumption in liquid form. Don't worry about "filling up your cells." Your body knows how to keep an osmotic balance, and it's pretty difficult to over-hydrate to the point where you throw it off (unless you're on drugs like ecstasy, which seem to make water intoxication more likely). Your kidneys help take care of a lot of this, by concentrating urine or not, depending on how much water there is available for excretion.

Well my teacher explained that you can get those things from some drinks sometimes. Mind you, this is a basic freshman biology class so maybe it'll be better explained later. Either way, I still would not only drink water if I was eating food and drinking other liquids.

Feline
October 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I rarely drink soda- the carbonation affects me badly.:oops: I do love my tea, but I try hard to get enough water. I carry Rubbermaid "Chug bottles" with me, and use a Brita pitcher to filter. I can't tell the difference between Brita filtered water and some of the name brand bottled waters. Spring water, however, can be delicious, but kind of expensive on a regular basis, so I only get it when we're traveling or something. If I don't get enough water, I will know it, usually the next day brings constipation, and nobody wants that!!!:disgust:

PurpleAshes
October 16th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I really dont like water :S Besides, when I increase my water intake I go to the bathroom A LOT more and that gets annoying...

Gypsy
October 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Remember all the health people say that by the time you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated; thirst is a warning sign.
Also, those that say they haven't suffered any ill effects from lack of water remember that you aren't at the stage of life when the ill effects would liley be apparent. When you get older and your organs are older and having to deal with the abuse we do to our bodies as younger "indestructible" people, THAT is when you will likely see problems with kidneys and such.
And yes, you will pee a lot, lol! That is the point, to flush out the bad stuff accumulating in your body as well as hydration and lubrication. You don't want stuff to get clogged in your urinary system.
It is hard to take in a decent amount of water if you have trained yourself to prefer fizzy or sugary and/or caffeine drinks (the sugar will make you thirstier and the caffeine will dehydrate you and carbonation is bad for the bones especially in women- think osteoporosis; who really wants to be that lady in the commercial "I've fallen and I cant get up!!") but if you gradually introduce it in, then the sugar and caffeinated stuff will be less appealing.:D
Trust me, I looove my colas but rarely drink them (I likes me rum and cokes!) and I just bought a 12 pack of cream soda today but I will probably only have 2 out of the pack, after increasing my water intake, those drinks make me feel bloated and blechy. But yeah, they taste good at the time..
We got a 2 pack of stainless steel water bottles by H2Ozone at Costco for 15.99 and water out of those tastes sooo cool and clean!
We also use a filtered refrigerator pitcher which also helps make the water here more appealing as we have a high chlorine content in our water (live by the river and a small bay) and I put lemon slices or berries in my water glassess to jazz it up a bit.

rockstarmommy
October 16th, 2009, 09:45 PM
aswedrftyudfhjk

Darian Moone
October 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I drink a minimum of 35 oz. of water a day, in addition to one 11 oz. packet of coconut water and at least one to two cups of tulsi (holy basil) tea. I never drink any kind of soda (including diet), etc., and avoid sugar and artificial sweeteners like the plague. We have Detroit city water (gag! so much chlorine, fluoride and who knows what else!) so I am currently drinking bottled water from the health food store (in glass bottles - no plastics!). We're looking into getting a water purifier so we can stop buying water.

pdy2kn6
October 17th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I drink way too many water based products like juice and squash, and vege with lots of water in them like lettuce and tomato, so I am up all night, pretty much every hour needing the loo. haha. I think I need to reduce my intake!! It is supposed to be good in helping to remove/flush out toxins from your body

Shastrix
October 17th, 2009, 05:32 AM
The notion that one has to drink 8 glasses of water a day is a fallacy; there are no scientific papers supporting it and many discounting the myth (Valtin, H. 2002).

The magic "at least 8 glasses a day" suggestion is thought to have stemmed either from a 1945 comment referring to the turn over of water by the body made by the "Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council" which said:

"A suitable allowance of water for adults is 2.5 liters daily in most instances. An ordinary standard for diverse persons is 1 milliliter for each calorie of food. Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods."

Or from a comment by the renownd nutritionalist Dr Fredrick J. Stare who wrote in one of his books:

"How much water each day? This is usually well regulated by various physiological mechanisms, but for the average adult, somewhere around 6 to 8 glasses per 24 hours and this can be in the form of coffee, tea, milk, soft drinks, beer, etc. Fruits and vegetables are also good sources of water."

In each case the context or full quote has not been used, leading to the misconception (the National Academy of Sciences is re-investigating the 1ml/calorie data). A large proportion of the water the body needs comes from the food that we eat for instance bread is ~40% water, beef is ~50% water, and most fruit and vegetables are 80%+ water. If you do supplement your water intake it is fine to drink fruit juices, fizzy drinks, squash, or tea and coffee. It is yet another myth that caffeine is a diuretic, it is not in the quantities that you would consume from caffeinated drinks (Grandjean, A. C. et al. 2000; Armstrong, L. E. et al. 2007).

High-intake of water is purported to cure or prevent various ails, such as colorectal cancers, heart disease, arthritis, migraines, constipation, depression etc. In the vast majority of these studies the results become decidedly fuzzy when statistics are applied and the authors will often conclude that correlation does not necessarily equal causality.

Remember all the health people say that by the time you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated; thirst is a warning sign.
This is yet another myth. There are numerous scientific papers that have tackled the issue of thirst and not one makes such an assertion. A rise in plasma osmolality (i.e. a reduction in the amount of water) of less than 2% can elicit thirst. Most scientists would define dehydration as beginning when a person has lost 3% or more of body weight, which equates to a rise in plasma osmolality of at least 5%.

References:

Armstrong, L. E., et al. (2007) Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews; 35(3):135-140 [doi: 10.1097/jes.0b013e3180a02cc1]

Grandjean, A. C., et al. (2000) Journal of the American College of Nutrition; 19(5):591-600

Valtin, H. (2002) Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol; 283:R993-R1004 [doi:10.1152/ajpregu.00365.2002]

julliams
October 17th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Being a school teacher for many years I was forced not to drink as I could only go to the bathroom twice a day during the day (at lunch and at recess - unless I was on recess duty and then I could only go once). Unfortunately you cannot go to the bathroom when you are responsible for 30 plus children. So as a consequence I limited the amount of water I drank and now it is a habit. I find it very hard to drink water and sometimes will only have drunk about 2 glasses by the end of the day.

My sister works for the government at a call centre and they are only allowed a certain amount of time for toilet breaks (like a maximum of 6 minutes a day or something ridiculous like that). I'm sure there are many people in the same boat. It does become a problem when it does affect our health.

Juliette

Buddaphlyy
October 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM
The notion that one has to drink 8 glasses of water a day is a fallacy; there are no scientific papers supporting it and many discounting the myth (Valtin, H. 2002).

The magic "at least 8 glasses a day" suggestion is thought to have stemmed either from a 1945 comment referring to the turn over of water by the body made by the "Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council" which said:

"A suitable allowance of water for adults is 2.5 liters daily in most instances. An ordinary standard for diverse persons is 1 milliliter for each calorie of food. Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods."

Or from a comment by the renownd nutritionalist Dr Fredrick J. Stare who wrote in one of his books:

"How much water each day? This is usually well regulated by various physiological mechanisms, but for the average adult, somewhere around 6 to 8 glasses per 24 hours and this can be in the form of coffee, tea, milk, soft drinks, beer, etc. Fruits and vegetables are also good sources of water."

In each case the context or full quote has not been used, leading to the misconception (the National Academy of Sciences is re-investigating the 1ml/calorie data). A large proportion of the water the body needs comes from the food that we eat for instance bread is ~40% water, beef is ~50% water, and most fruit and vegetables are 80%+ water. If you do supplement your water intake it is fine to drink fruit juices, fizzy drinks, squash, or tea and coffee. It is yet another myth that caffeine is a diuretic, it is not in the quantities that you would consume from caffeinated drinks (Grandjean, A. C. et al. 2000; Armstrong, L. E. et al. 2007).

High-intake of water is purported to cure or prevent various ails, such as colorectal cancers, heart disease, arthritis, migraines, constipation, depression etc. In the vast majority of these studies the results become decidedly fuzzy when statistics are applied and the authors will often conclude that correlation does not necessarily equal causality.

This is yet another myth. There are numerous scientific papers that have tackled the issue of thirst and not one makes such an assertion. A rise in plasma osmolality (i.e. a reduction in the amount of water) of less than 2% can elicit thirst. Most scientists would define dehydration as beginning when a person has lost 3% or more of body weight, which equates to a rise in plasma osmolality of at least 5%.

References:

Armstrong, L. E., et al. (2007) Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews; 35(3):135-140 [doi: 10.1097/jes.0b013e3180a02cc1]

Grandjean, A. C., et al. (2000) Journal of the American College of Nutrition; 19(5):591-600

Valtin, H. (2002) Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol; 283:R993-R1004 [doi:10.1152/ajpregu.00365.2002]

Thanks so much for this post. This is what I was trying to convey in my previous posts, but I'm far too lazy to do the research like you did.

Sissy
October 17th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I think others have already said it on this thread but for me it's because I believe moisture within my body will help with a moisturized look on my exterior (hair, skin).

Shiva
October 17th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I am trying to drink water, but I am finding, oddly, that it doesn't quench my thirst.

:confused:

Sissy
October 18th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I am trying to drink water, but I am finding, oddly, that it doesn't quench my thirst.

:confused:

strange... what does quench your thirst? Soda? Tea? Juice? Some drinks, such as sodas, actually dehydrate the body. I have always found that when I'm seriously thirsty good ol' H20 is the only thing that will do.

I am wondering if you are drinking city water which has a bad treated, chlorine taste? When I try to drink plain tap city water it does make me feel ill and doesn't quench my thirst. I always use my Pur water filter and when I go to work I am sure to take my reusable water bottles filled with cold purified water from home. I NEVER drink the unfiltered stuff... cause it just doesn't taste like pure, fresh water to me. Perhaps you need to try purifying your water?

going gray
October 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the useful information, I know water is vital to good health, but it's always important to remind people again, sometimes I tend to get lazy about drinking water.

Gypsy
October 18th, 2009, 11:50 PM
New research is as reliable as old research; for a while it's gospel until yet another study comes along and disputes it. And if you look hard enough, you will find contradicting findings.
Caffeine a diuretic a myth?
Seriously, I know more people than not who have to poo after 2 cups of coffee. No matter the time of day, so it's clearly not a "routine" or a pattern, it's being triggered.
If you look at any information about dehydration, one of the symptoms is always thirst. There is no way that can be disputed; your body is low on fluids, you are thirsty, its basic common sense.:)

ericthegreat
October 19th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I drink water like my life depends on it! And well it does technically! I have 3 water bottles right here on my computer desk, and I refill each of them every day with chilled boiled water. I even take a bottle with me every time I go out of the house. One thing I can credit my mom for is both eating right and drinking enough fluids. I wasn't even allowed candy as a kid.............I know that's kinda strict but to this day my teeth are in great shape!

My water bottles hold about 20fl oz. and I drink each of them at least 3 times a day........plus I usually eat lots of fresh veggies like broccoli and red and green peppers so I know for sure I surpass the daily 8 glasses of water a day when you add all that up. Yeah, I have to go to the bathroom around 4 times a day, but I am one of those few kids that almost never had acne, everyone loves how clear my skin is!

yellowchariot
October 19th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I agree with everyone who says that water is pretty much just down right healthy for the body itself, thus helping your hair, among other important things to grow.

I mostly get my health information from this site, and even ordered a couple of vitamins from them. Eventhough this is a "bodybuilding" website, you can find tons of info about anything related to your body.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jenheath4.htm

Hope this helps!!! :)

Shastrix
October 19th, 2009, 02:20 AM
New research is as reliable as old research; for a while it's gospel until yet another study comes along and disputes it. And if you look hard enough, you will find contradicting findings.

There is good old research just as there is bad new research, though with improved methods new research often superceeds what has been done in the past. Of course, “if you look hard enough you will find contradicting findings”, you don’t event have to look that hard. Science, especially biology, isn’t about absolute truths, it is about the cumulative process of researching and creating a body of evidence based on peer-review that explains our surroundings. Old research is always being disproven or improved upon but it is uncommon for there to be a paradigm shift.

In the context of the notion that a sedentary person should drink at least eight glasses of water per day, there is no reliable scientific evidence to support this claim whilst there is much to oppose it.

Caffeine a diuretic a myth?
Seriously, I know more people than not who have to poo after 2 cups of coffee. No matter the time of day, so it's clearly not a "routine" or a pattern, it's being triggered.

A diuretic is something that causes increased urination. Caffeine is known to increase colonic stimulation (i.e. increase pooing) in a number of ways so your anecdotal evidence is probably correct. (Brown, S. R., et al. 1990; Roa, S. S. C., et al. 1998 )

If you look at any information about dehydration, one of the symptoms is always thirst. There is no way that can be disputed; your body is low on fluids, you are thirsty, its basic common sense. :)

You are correct in saying that when you are dehydrated you will be thirsty (unless there is a central nervous system problem, or, for instance, you are an elderly person who has just done exercise or lives in a warm climate as they can have a decreased thirst stimulus (Kenney, W. L. and Chiu, P. 2001)). But when you are thirsty you are not necessarily dehydrated in a medically relevant way. My point was that “all the health people” who are warning that if you are thirsty “it is too late” and you are already dangerously dehydrated are wrong. Obviously, if you have begun to feel thirsty you have a drink, as if you don't you will eventually become dehydrated.

References:

Brown, S. R., et al. (1990) “Effect of coffee on distal colon function” Gut; 31:450-453
Kenney, W. L. and Chiu, P. (2001) “Influence of age on thirst and fluid intake” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise; 33(9):1524-1532
Roa, S. S. C., et al. (1998 ) “Is coffee a colonic stimulant?” European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology; 10:113-118.

brunette
October 19th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Just wanted to share a way to drink plenty of water but keep the intake quite slow. I don't follow this but my daughter used to at school:

Simply fill your bottle and freeze the night before, then when you go out (work, college, shopping etc) take the frozen water with you. It will defrost so slowly that you will have a little at a time but you must remember to sip it often.

This works well for people who hate drinking room temperature water as it keeps it all chilled :).

Starr
October 19th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I love water! It's a learned behavior- when I was 19 passed out on a flight of stairs from dehydration and spent two days in the hospital, despite the fact that I was always drinking some form of soda or juice. I wasn't that I didn't drink enough fluid, it was that I wasn't drinking the right fluid.

Since then I make sure to get at least 60oz a day and I'm all good.

wendyg
October 19th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Earlier this year, scientists revisited the 8x8 rule and also the notion that it has to be *water* rather than any other fluid (or water-bearing fruit/vegetables; I find sometimes cucumbers, tomatoes, watermelon, apples are longer-lasting thirst-quenchers than just water on its own, though I drink quite a bit of that, too).

If you're curious:

Scientific American on recent research by kidney and nutrition specialists; SA also notes the origins of 8x8 are slightly dubious: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

Snopes also discusses the origins of the rule and examines the notion that many people are chronically dehydrated: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Not saying that drinking water isn't good for you, just pointing out the latest state of thought on it.

wg

Juanita
October 19th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Standing the water in a bucket for 24 to 48 hours will allow the chlorine to evaporate off.
Drinking water rather than fruit/vegie juices will add no calories to your daily intake.
I drink lots of water, at least 2 litres a day.
Cheers
Juanita

spidermom
October 19th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I really dont like water :S Besides, when I increase my water intake I go to the bathroom A LOT more and that gets annoying...

This is temporary for most people. Your system adjusts to more water, then you will go in larger amounts but not more often.

My sister works as a prison guard, and she has to avoid fluids during her work shift because, as she put it "when you're babysitting scum, you can't go to the bathroom any time you feel like it." So she's gotten used to chronic dehydration. She really doesn't look or feel very good.

Rainbow2911
October 19th, 2009, 07:17 AM
To the pp who finds water doesn't quench thirst - I have the same problem. Plus I hate the taste of water! I find making the water slightly acidic helps. Either by drinking plain carbonated water or adding a splash of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to the water.
Most of my drinks are hot ones - like herbal teas. But also quite a bit of decaff coffee - is that horrible for my health?

Canarygirl
October 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM
In yesterday's Sunday newspaper supplement (magazine), one of the health blurbs said that "drinking 8 glasses of water per day is tremendously helpful for skin, hair, and nails." But once again, it didn't say why. It seems like there are lots of posts and opinions in this thread about the health benefits of drinking water but I don't recall reading anything specific on why it benefits hair or hair-growing. I am still committed to increasing my water intake to help me reduce migraine frequency, if nothing else....

Heidi_234
October 26th, 2009, 12:05 PM
In yesterday's Sunday newspaper supplement (magazine), one of the health blurbs said that "drinking 8 glasses of water per day is tremendously helpful for skin, hair, and nails." But once again, it didn't say why. It seems like there are lots of posts and opinions in this thread about the health benefits of drinking water but I don't recall reading anything specific on why it benefits hair or hair-growing. I am still committed to increasing my water intake to help me reduce migraine frequency, if nothing else....
Healthy body grows healthy hair in a healthy rate.

Water consumption probably isn't directly linked to hair growth, but still, overall health might play a role. You can't lose from trying to become healthier, and proper water consumption is essential part of it.

I'd say it is the lack of water consumption is what can affect hair growth (by affecting your overall health in a bad way). A person who barely drinks liquids during the day and gets 1/2" per month might be actually potentially 1" per month grower and never know that. Wouldn't that be a shame?

ericthegreat
October 26th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Okay the undisputed fact is, you NEED to drink water to survive and for your body to function. Now, just how much water you need I suppose could be argued here and would depend on your individual body and your individual needs. How big and tall are you, how much do you weigh, what is your age, what kind of foods do you eat, how often do you exercise. Also , if you happen to be sick or you need to take medication, you will most likely need to drink more water and fluids than your body would normally need to.

Canarygirl
October 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
A person who barely drinks liquids during the day and gets 1/2" per month might be actually potentially 1" per month grower and never know that. Wouldn't that be a shame?

I was looking at my hair color demarcation line yesterday, between my last cassia/henna gloss (grays are reddish gold-colored ) and my new growth (grays are pure white/silver). There is only 1.25" of new growth using this method of measurement, and the last time I did a cassia/henna gloss was May!! That's a whopping .25" per month. I think I just talked myself into a fun and side-effect-free challenge: drink 8 glasses of water per day for 3 months and compare growth rate to previous growth rate. (And I can compare frequency of migraines too.)

If there is anyone out there interested in this kind of a challenge, I will start a thread on it.

Heidi_234
October 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM
My roots don't seem to make sense either at times. Did you measure it the regular way in May or last month at least?

Canarygirl
October 26th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Okay the undisputed fact is, you NEED to drink water to survive and for your body to function. Now, just how much water you need I suppose could be argued here and would depend on your individual body and your individual needs. How big and tall are you, how much do you weigh, what is your age, what kind of foods do you eat, how often do you exercise. Also , if you happen to be sick or you need to take medication, you will most likely need to drink more water and fluids than your body would normally need to.

I understand you're saying Eric, and don't dispute it. I was just hoping that someone had run across the nuts-and-bolts explanation of the effect of water-drinking on hair growth or hair health.

Canarygirl
October 26th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Heidi

I dug this out of another thread, of my monthly measurements:

Mar. '09: 16" (after a "dusting" at the salon)
April '09: 17" (had used MegaTek for one month) -- +1 inch
May '09: 16.75" (after dusting at the salon) -- lost .25" in trim
June '09:17.25" -- +.5 inch
July '09: 17.5"-- +.25 inch
Aug '09: 17.25 (after dusting at the salon) -- lost .25" in trim
Sept '09: 17.75" -- +.5 inch

Total gain in 6 months was 1.75 inches, including 3 dustings so if I add back that 3/8" of an inch, total growth would be less than 2.25" over 6 months. Average of ~.33 inch per month by this method. Pretty weird that my entire length seems to be growing at a different rate than the hair close to my scalp. :confused: Maybe it's just that I measure total length at the back of my hair, and previous hairdressers have told me that the back of my hair grows faster than the front.

Eniratak
October 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM
When I was younger, my hair used to grow so fast and never would you find me sipping any water. Now that I've recently started drinking water, my hair is not growing as fast. Any connection? I dunno. But I don't like water and I've pretty much survived a good while without it being my main source of beverage.

Canarygirl
October 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I think the key is to get enough re-hydrating fluids including water, juice, herbal tea, milk, juicy fruits & veggies...

I've discovered in the last few days that I like water a thousand times better when it is filtered and cold, then straight out of the tap. Drinking tap water makes me feel nauseous. I think it may be the chlorine component.

ashimajoy
October 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM
If it's any comfort, drinking water is a habit to be formed like any other, and it becomes easier, and in fact, more desirable, over time. I used to be disgusted by it but now I rush for a drink when I've been out and forgotten my water bottle.

Finding your favorite temperature will help a lot lot lot. I hate ice water, but tap-temperature water is icky most of the year here. Room-temperature please me, as does putting in one or two pices of ice, which pretty instantly melt. Good luck!

templeofvenus
October 27th, 2009, 12:17 PM
considering our bodies are made up of a lot of water in the cells etc I use that as my reason for drinking plenty of it, we need it to function and to cleanse the kidneys and to keep hydrated etc, so I figure without it skin, hair etc would be dry and brittle

dearladydisdain
October 27th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I drink diet coke and coffee pretty much exclusively, and while I drink a lot and my urine is an acceptable color I feel dehydrated most of the time. I understand that it's not necessarily true that we need to force down 8 glasses a day, but how in the world could someone argue that there is a liquid healthier than water?

I eliminated my diet coke habit for about a year but just ended up drinking more iced tea and coffee, so that wasn't really a good experiment. I'm trying to stick to one diet coke in the morning and maybe one at another meal, one coffee a day, and the rest water.

LadyLongLocks
October 27th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I have a hard time drinking water but I started drinking seltzer water and its great. It has all the benefits of water but it is better and easier to drink. I get the ones with lemon or raspberry flavor ( never artificial sweeteners) and I hardly drink soda at all anymore.

goddesslynne
October 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I've had kidney stones, and as anyone who has had them will tell you, I will do ANYTHING to not have another one!! I drink water, green tea and 1 cup of coffee a day. My water and green tea are about 3-4 liters total. I use alkaline water for drinking and tea, made with an Enagic machine at home. I quit drinking soda about a year ago. I'm on an eating program that doesn't include juices or milk, so it's water, tea and coffee for me!

FB
October 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Now I am thirsty...but I LOVE WATER I drink way to much and two octors have even told me it is to much to intake in a day. But as for the hair I would think if you are not flushing out the tokins in your body then your body is fighting those instead of growing our beautiful hair.

pdy2kn6
November 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I drink alot of watery type things, like tea. But I also love soda water/sparkling water and cordial (orange or blackcurrant squash). Its so nice. Does this sparkling water count and have the benefits of normal water do you think? It's just carbonated water...is that really bad? I love it because it livens up boring normal squash...go through about 2 litres aday.

Canarygirl
November 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I've had kidney stones, and as anyone who has had them will tell you, I will do ANYTHING to not have another one!! I drink water, green tea and 1 cup of coffee a day. My water and green tea are about 3-4 liters total. I use alkaline water for drinking and tea, made with an Enagic machine at home. I quit drinking soda about a year ago. I'm on an eating program that doesn't include juices or milk, so it's water, tea and coffee for me!

Goddess, can you talk more about this--the kidney stones and why you use a machine to make alkaline water?

LawyerGirl
November 5th, 2009, 12:27 PM
What I do to get enough water...

First of all, I *hate* the taste of Maryland's tap water. Ugh. Not drinkable. So I boil water in a kettle, let cool, and pour in a pitcher and keep it in the fridge. I pour lemon juice/sugar into an ice cube tray and when I get a glass of water, I pop a juice cube in it to flavor it a little.

I'm terrible at drinking enough though... I'm always on the go, and as someone mentioned I think... caffeinated beverages dont count as water, so I am always in need of non-caffeinated drinks to get me to my 8 glass a day minimum!!

az_sweetie01
May 11th, 2010, 05:58 PM
*bumping this thread...*

I've been reading that fluoride can cause hypothyroidism which in turn can cause hair loss. I'm curious how valid this is because we just bought a Britta filter pitcher to filter the tap water and have stopped buying bottled water.

Anyone have any input here?

kwaniesiam
May 11th, 2010, 06:00 PM
*bumping this thread...*

I've been reading that fluoride can cause hypothyroidism which in turn can cause hair loss. I'm curious how valid this is because we just bought a Britta filter pitcher to filter the tap water and have stopped buying bottled water.

Anyone have any input here?

No input but I would love to see your sources and read some for myself. I'm hypothyroid and have had a lot of hair loss from it.

az_sweetie01
May 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM
No input but I would love to see your sources and read some for myself. I'm hypothyroid and have had a lot of hair loss from it.
Um, yeah :o ...I wouldn't go so far as to refer to them as sources (other hair sites). I'm sorry, I know that's not helpful to you. I have done a little reading though, and it's been REALLY tough to find a truly unbiased source or study.

I know that there are a few people in the community are well versed in the various sciences so, I was hoping someone would be able to refer to a specific study or something.

So far, it looks like the American Thyroid Association doesn't back the fluoride/hypothyroid claim...

Eta...Ha, my 777th post ...

kwaniesiam
May 11th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks anyway, I'll just watch this thread to see if anyone else chimes in :)

Beatrice
May 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM

You can search Google for "daily water calculator" and find a more precise number based on your weight, daily exercise, and the climate you live in. Eight glasses always seemed like too much for me. I seemed to max out at six. Lo and behold, the calculators told me I need only six glasses a day!

PeaceTeaRules
September 6th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Not to beat a dead horse so to speak (because I don't think anyone else will post on this thread) but I'm trying a 2 liter challenge where I fill a two liter bottle with water and try to drink all of that in a day to meet water requirements. Lately I've been drinking a liter. :grin:

I hope others will give it a shot too!! :flowers: :biggrin:

Ginbill
September 6th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I have a 32 oz camelbak bottle that I refill at least three times per day if not more. I love drinking water. I fill it up as soon as I rise from bed and take it to bed with me for drinking when I wake up in the middle of the night wanting something to moisten my mouth. I love water!

perkidanman
September 6th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I didn't like drinking water either. I had to pretty much brainwash myself, keeping a big jug of water next to me. It gets boring though (almost like taking medicine) so I have to make it more interesting. I used to use MIO but i switched to more natural flavorings: mint leaves and fruit. My favorite combo right now is a slice of lemon and a few leaves of mint in my 2 liter bottle of water. Tasty.

Also, if I have something to snack on that's very dry, like pumpkin seeds or nuts, I drink more water to wash them down.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 6th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Why eat if you are not hungry? Why drink if you are not thirsty?

And most fruits and vegetables are around 90% water in content. So you can get water from your food. Of course drinking water is good, but 8 glasses a day may not be necessary for everybody - I drink around 4. It depends on levels of exercise, climate etc as well.

gratitudinous
September 6th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I didn't like drinking water either. I had to pretty much brainwash myself, keeping a big jug of water next to me. It gets boring though (almost like taking medicine) so I have to make it more interesting. I used to use MIO but i switched to more natural flavorings: mint leaves and fruit. My favorite combo right now is a slice of lemon and a few leaves of mint in my 2 liter bottle of water. Tasty.

Also, if I have something to snack on that's very dry, like pumpkin seeds or nuts, I drink more water to wash them down.

Great tips! Anything natural that makes water more appealing is a great way to up your intake.
Other good additives are raw ginger slices (yum!) and even flavored stevia if plain water just isn't palatable. :flower:

Neecola
September 6th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Great tips! Anything natural that makes water more appealing is a great way to up your intake.
Other good additives are raw ginger slices (yum!) and even flavored stevia if plain water just isn't palatable. :flower:

Love the idea of adding raw ginger to water! (And also the previous poster's tips about fruit and mint). I'd like to drink more water and spicing it up a bit might motivate me to do so.

HEY未来
September 6th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Just remember not to drink TOO much water. You can die that way.
Hyponatremia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication)

So, everything in moderation.

Vrindi
September 6th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Having healthy, beautiful hair requires you to be healthy. Since growing hair is a non-essential function of the body, if you're lacking in nutrients or are making things harder on your body than necessary, your hair simply won't grow as fast/healthy/nicely as you'd want it to. Most people are so chronically dehydrated that they mistake thirst for hunger. Drinking plenty of water improves your skin, hair, nails, muscle repair, etc. Basically, drinking water makes you beautiful! Not only that, but being hydrated helps relieve stress and gives you more energy. You feel better. What's the point of looking good if you feel like crap all the time? Long, healthy, glorious hair is a sign of beauty because it's a sign of GOOD HEALTH. It shows that you're taking care of yourself. If you're not taking care of yourself, your hair will suffer, along with the rest of your body.

If you really "hate" water, I suggest putting some fresh fruit in water bottles and letting them chill in the fridge. Lemons, limes, oranges, cucumbers, berries, kiwi.... SO delicious without the weird flavored powders. Also, in time, you will find that you stop hating water. And you're eating more fruit — all good stuff. We are genetically engineered to drink water, so a distaste for it is a conditioned thing that probably comes from not being used to it. Hating water (and I do understand that some people do) is a habit. It's a bad one, and you can break it.

I cut out all drinks except water in my normal daily routine. I'll have a soda when I go to the movies, which might be once every 2 months. I'll have a coffee at most once a week. I get my caffeine from caffeine pills, so I know exactly how much I'm taking and only when I need it. By doing this, I naturally started drinking more water. Juice and soy or rice milks happen on occasion, same with tea. With tea and coffee, I make it an event so I'm not drinking it mindlessly, it makes it special, and I get to truly enjoy it. Most people pay no attention at all to what they consume.

Also, having to pee more is actually a good thing. It's removing toxins from your body. It also gives you a good excuse (like you needed one) to go and check out your pretty hair in the bathroom mirror. :) If your boss has a problem with it, tell him that you're trying to be healthy so you're more productive and it will actually help you to do a better job. That's much more diplomatic than telling him to shove it.

Drink the water!

KwaveT
September 6th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I make sure I get my share of water each day because I consume a high fiber diet. I do this, take a fish oil capsule, take two 200 mg magnesium pills, and consume an Activia yogurt each morning. These have regulated my digestive system and cure my constipation problems which I think was in part caused by my seizure medication. This is what got me into drinking more water initially.

Kalamazoo
September 16th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Um, yeah :o ...I wouldn't go so far as to refer to them as sources (other hair sites). I'm sorry, I know that's not helpful to you. I have done a little reading though, and it's been REALLY tough to find a truly unbiased source or study.

I know that there are a few people in the community are well versed in the various sciences so, I was hoping someone would be able to refer to a specific study or something.

So far, it looks like the American Thyroid Association doesn't back the fluoride/hypothyroid claim...

Eta...Ha, my 777th post ...

I know, it's been years since this was posted, but I hadn't yet found LHC back then. The best source of info I've found is the book, The Fluoride Deception, by Christopher Bryson. https://www.amazon.com/Fluoride-Deception-Christopher-Bryson/dp/1583227008/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=fluoride+deception&qid=1568660094&sprefix=fluoride+d&sr=8-1